Is Youk getting the short end of the stick from RSN

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Is Youk getting the short end of the stick from RSN

Observation and question from the enemy. As always, no disrepect intended.

From 2007 - 2010, Boston had one of the top young players in the league (Youk). A bit of a cry baby at times, but always busted his butt; played GG caliber 1B and gave stability to the middle of the line-up. He accepts the move to 3B, no questions asked, has an injury filled season, but still puts up excellent numbers. Now I know some were expecting him to be a GG at 3rd base (out of reach expectations) as the position is more taxing than 1B, but he tried hard and made the routine plays. He has a team friendly contract and you all loved him a year ago.

RSN is a fanbase that loves homegrown talent, but some of you are ready to drop him like a live grenade. I would just like to know why? Do you think his career is finished and he can be nothing more than just an adequate player? Or are you all just pizzed that he didn't play 140 games with 25 HR's and 100 rbi's last year?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

Re: Is Youk getting the short end of the stick from RSN

In Response to Is Youk getting the short end of the stick from RSN:
    Observation and question from the enemy. As always, no disrepect intended. From 2007 - 2010, Boston had one of the top young players in the league (Youk). A bit of a cry baby at times, but always busted his butt; played GG caliber 1B and gave stability to the middle of the line-up. He accepts the move to 3B, no questions asked, has an injury filled season, but still puts up excellent numbers. Now I know some were expecting him to be a GG at 3rd base (out of reach expectations) as the position is more taxing than 1B, but he tried hard and made the routine plays. He has a team friendly contract and you all loved him a year ago. RSN is a fanbase that loves homegrown talent, but some of you are ready to drop him like a live grenade. I would just like to know why? Do you think his career is finished and he can be nothing more than just an adequate player? Or are you all just pizzed that he didn't play 140 games with 25 HR's and 100 rbi's last year?
    Posted by jesseyeric

I'm only speaking for myself, jessey, but I think the move to 3B has affected how I view Youk because he's not going to be able to play 140 games any more. He's not going to be in there grinding it every day because 3B is just too taxing a position for a player of his physical attributes to play and injuries will take their toll.

I do love the fact that he went to 3B to make way for Gonzalez, because that's what a good teammate does.  I don't love the fact that he's incapable of being a GG third baseman - and I don't expect him to be.  So maybe in some sense you're right about Youk getting the short end of the stick.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I've been big fan of Youk from the get-go. I like the way he plays the game. I think there may be a bit of the Bill Belichick thing going on with Sox fans. Youk has been breaking down physically so now we forget sentiment and try to figure a way to get some value for him before he breaks down completely. I'm still a Youk fan and I'm not on the bandwagon to get rid of him. If he can fully recover from his injuries, I think we'll see great production from him in in 2012. Maybe Youk needs to learn from Ellsbury and be sure to be fully recovered before he steps out on the field again. I know this isn't the old-school attitude, but why risk your entire career by trying to play through injuries? This Sox fan is still loyal to Youk.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

The answer, Jesse, is yes.

Youk deserves this year to prove he is not a jalopy.  2010 was a freak accident.  last year, not so much.  but a guy who has done such Yeoman work for this club deserves the benefit of the doubt.  

A healthy youk is what separates a pretty awesome offense from being a freakin' juggernaut.  This guy's grinding approach is par excellence.  A guy with that much line-drive power to all fields and ability to work counts sitting in the middle of a line-up is just deadly to pitchers.

And the verdict is still out at third.  the fact that his injury problems coincided with the switch makes it hard to judge.  Did the injuries stem from the wear and tear of the hot corner?  If so, then, ok his value is mitigated a little bit.  But, if the switch in conditioning he has undertaken this off-season (from emphasis on strength building to flexibility) helps his ability to stay on the field, i think he will make a perfectly acceptable hot corner guy (admittedly, no Adrian Beltre).  My money is on it working, as Youk, being a hulking, tightly-wound specimen naturally, probably needs a healthy dose of lengthening and flexibility to balance.

I think he deserves this year to prove he can stay healthy.  And from a fans perspective, i think the ease some of these so-called Sox fans at throwing him unde the bus is a little weird.  Dude is homegrown, took a team friendly contract, and has been, along with pedroia, the heart and soul of this generation of Sox.  C'mon peoples, even Yankee fans stick with their guys better than that Tongue Out.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Observation and question from the enemy. As always, no disrepect intended. From 2007 - 2010, Boston had one of the top young players in the league (Youk). A bit of a cry baby at times, but always busted his butt; played GG caliber 1B and gave stability to the middle of the line-up. He accepts the move to 3B, no questions asked, has an injury filled season, but still puts up excellent numbers. Now I know some were expecting him to be a GG at 3rd base (out of reach expectations) as the position is more taxing than 1B, but he tried hard and made the routine plays. He has a team friendly contract and you all loved him a year ago. RSN is a fanbase that loves homegrown talent, but some of you are ready to drop him like a live grenade. I would just like to know why? Do you think his career is finished and he can be nothing more than just an adequate player? Or are you all just pizzed that he didn't play 140 games with 25 HR's and 100 rbi's last year?
    Posted by jesseyeric

In a report, I can't recall which one I read, even Youk himself said he doesn't think he will get the new contract after 2013 and if it's the case, he would like to play for the Reds where it is his hometown.  Why would he think the idea of not getting the new contract? because fans say so??
    Get with the program.  That how FO's and managers run this team. 
    I love to see Youk retiring as a Sox.  But the reality is reality.  Do you think Ortiz will the new contract after this season?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Youk is what, 33? His style of play has certainly taken it's toll health-wise. He plays with reckless abandon it it's come back to haunt him.
    Some guys can get away with that style of play well into their 30's; Rose, Henderson, Edmonds; but other guys' bodies just aren't made for the beating day in and day out.
    He's got one speed, high, and knows no other way to play the game.
    I love his level of intensity and he is clearly frustrated, IMO, that some of the other players on team don't put out like he does.

He was an all-star at 1B, but just an average 3B, and moving him has hurt his prominence on this line-up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Posted by jesseyeric

I for one would be very happy for Youk to stay. Having said that I also recognize that Sox have few players who are trade worthy, mostly for the size of their contracts. I think RSN see Youk as a player who is going to break down in future years, and his range at  3B leaves much to be desired. It may be the one position the Sox can change. In the end though IMO Youk has more value for Sox than any trade partner.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

Not that my opinion counts for much, but I still like him and still want him around.  I'm not a stat geek - I really give no other backup to my opinion other than I simply like him. 

Yeah, he's had a few injury-plagued years, but so have a lot of other players on other teams.  Look at Carlos Pena - released by the Tigers, signed for the Yanks but never played for them...played just 18 games for the Sox...then went on to record 46 HRs for the Rays.  Or Cliff Lee - who had a horrid 2007 and won the CY in 2008. 

A guy may look good right now but an injury can happen at any time.  Or, a guy may have a year full of strife and make a fantastic comeback.  

I've always had a fondness for the homegrown because it's always so neat to watch them come up through the ranks, so to speak.  

And I've always just liked Youk.  

Then again, I'm such a Pollyanna!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

I got to think (hope) that the FO does all of its deals simply from the business side of things.  I am a Youk fan and I always have been but even I can see that things aren't the same with him and the RS aren't getting what they need out of him.  I am just not sure that part of Youk is better than all of someone else.  I hope that if he plays, he plays well and can stay on the field.  I hope that he plays well enough to shut me up and all the rest of the nay sayers. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxRuleTheRoost. Show SoxRuleTheRoost's posts

Yeah, I'm glad we have Youk. I never get the impression, that he isn't playing all out. His mind is always in the game. When he is on, he is a force. He is one of the main reasons starting pitchers, often don't last long, even if he doesn't get a hit, he makes them throw a lot of pitches. I just worry about whether he will be able to stay on the field. I'm glad we got Middlebrooks waiting, in the wings, just in case.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Is Youk getting the short end of the stick from RSN":
    In Response to Is Youk getting the short end of the stick from RSN : In a report, I can't recall which one I read, even Youk himself said he doesn't think he will get the new contract after 2013 and if it's the case, he would like to play for the Reds where it is his hometown.  Why would he think the idea of not getting the new contract? because fans say so?? Get with the program.  That how FO's and managers run this team.  I love to see Youk retiring as a Sox.  But the reality is reality.  Do you think Ortiz will the new contract after this season? Posted by seannybboi
    You could argue that this front office has been excellent when judging when to let their own players go, outside of maybe Derek Lowe, who was let go more for his off the field stuff than his talent...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

I'm simply open to moving him because he makes the most sense to move if we need to clear more cap space.  He's never played more than 147 games and his totals for the last 3 years are 136, 102, 120.  I love his bat when it's in the lineup, but when looking to cut costs, it makes sense to move the guy who spends 1/4 of the year injured.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Usually as a player ages they force that player to play 1st base. It makes perfect sense , as 1st base is the position that requires less range and agility.

With Youk, they took a decent 3rd baseman, forced him to play 1st base in his prime years ( out of necessity) then, ( after acquiring Gonzalez) forced him back to 3rd base, ( again, out of necessity).

As Yastrzemski aged , he went from leftfield, to 1st base, then DH. a more logical progression ( or regression , actually). Youk was asked to go to an unfamiliar position ( he learned it well) then was asked to return to his former ( more demanding) position. 

He even was thrust into leftfield at one point (out of necessity) ...it wasn't pretty.

This guy is the ultimate team player, even though he is asked to do things beyond his abilities, he does it for the good of the team.

I do not want to see him go , I want to see him here forever.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

imo the move to make was to not offer Ortiz, and allow Youk to full time DH, allowing him another 3-4 productive years. Ortiz salary could have been used  elsewhere.
    While I am a Youk fan, I though while Beckett was the face of poor conditioning, the feeling was that Youk, Agon and Pedroia were not in peak shape the entire year. This resulted in injuries and exhaustion in the swoon.
    I would like to see Youk come in 15-20 pounds lighter, get back that half step he lost, and get 145 games.
    V also is a better roster manager than Francona, and V will use 30-35 players insuring proper rest for all.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

" This guy is the ultimate team player, even though he is asked to do things beyond his abilities, he does it for the good of the team. "

That and the fact that he's one of the most clutch hitters the RS have.  

As a Yankees fan it's NEVER comfortable with either Youkilis or Pedroia at the plate with the game on the line.  I think it would be great if the RS let him play out his contract and move on.  Better if they trade him this year, .. great and better for the Yankees that is.

Aside from the fact that he's never seen an inside pitch that he didn't take offense to I've got nothing but praise for Youkilis.  And, if Youkilis gets traded, .. who plays 3rd?  If you trade the starter at any position you better have an alternative.  I don't see an internal option.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

imo the move to make was to not offer Ortiz, and allow Youk to full time DH, allowing him another 3-4 productive years. Ortiz salary could have been used  elsewhere. While I am a Youk fan, I though while Beckett was the face of poor conditioning, the feeling was that Youk, Agon and Pedroia were not in peak shape the entire year. This resulted in injuries and exhaustion in the swoon. I would like to see Youk come in 15-20 pounds lighter, get back that half step he lost, and get 145 games. V also is a better roster manager than Francona, and V will use 30-35 players insuring proper rest for all. Posted by rkarp
    I can't see Youk being OK with being relegated to a DH role at this point in his career at all. I'm guessing he would have asked for a trade to a team that needs a first baseman.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

he is getting the short end....he moved over to play a tougher, more demanding position and suffered because of it...he did it for the team...i know he is a crybaby but he plays very hard....what kind of team is this that sends hard working dirt dogs like Scutaro and maybe youk to the glue factory but keeps, and rewards malcontents like one dimensional Papi and Lard Beckett????  those two guys needed to be dealt for more than money reasons - and they werent...not impressed so far with ben..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Is Youk getting the short end of the stick from RSN:
    Usually as a player ages they force that player to play 1st base. It makes perfect sense , as 1st base is the position that requires less range and agility. With Youk, they took a decent 3rd baseman, forced him to play 1st base in his prime years ( out of necessity) then, ( after acquiring Gonzalez) forced him back to 3rd base, ( again, out of necessity). As Yastrzemski aged , he went from leftfield, to 1st base, then DH. a more logical progression ( or regression , actually). Youk was asked to go to an unfamiliar position ( he learned it well) then was asked to return to his former ( more demanding) position.  He even was thrust into leftfield at one point (out of necessity) ...it wasn't pretty. This guy is the ultimate team player, even though he is asked to do things beyond his abilities, he does it for the good of the team. I do not want to see him go , I want to see him here forever.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD
    Youkilis prefers third to first, and says third is easier to play.  The move from first back to third was not a sacrifice on his part for the good of the team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

In Response to Re: Is Youk getting the short end of the stick from RSN:
       2007-2010......  IT IS NOW 2012.....  TIME TO MOVE ON FROM AN AGEING & BIG $$$$  CONTRACT !!  THATS BASEBALL, SON !!
    Posted by Bill-806

Kind of like we should do with an ageing you?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Unfortunately, you can't keep players as they age.  Of all the players we allowed to walk as FAs, none of them would've been it to keep.  If the NYY had a hard budget, Jeter, Posada, and ARod would've been gone.  It's nice rooting for them and all, but imagine how fun this winter would've been with VMart and Bay on the team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

There is a way to get Youk to play DH in 2012 as well as free up tax limit salary space for 2-3 signings:

Papi's arb deal will be not be guaranteed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

There is a way to get Youk to play DH in 2012 as well as free up tax limit salary space for 2-3 signings:      Papi's arb deal will be not be guaranteed. Posted by moonslav59
    Moon, I don't see any way Youk accepts the DH role or the Sox just releasing Ortiz, at all...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The media told them all Youkilis does not like Ellsbury.  The closest parallel I can think of is John Lennon saying the Beatles were more popular than Jesus.   You get the idea...

Sections
Shortcuts