Is Youk getting the short end of the stick from RSN

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Is Youk getting the short end of the stick from RSN

In Response to Re: Is Youk getting the short end of the stick from RSN:
    In response to "Re: Is Youk getting the short end of the stick from RSN": Moon, I don't see any way Youk accepts the DH role or the Sox just releasing Ortiz, at all...
    Posted by jasko2248

I don't see it either, but it would be a way to try and keep Youk healthy.

If Middlebrooks looks good in June and Papi gets hurt, who is the DH?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Unfortunately, you can't keep players as they age.  Of all the players we allowed to walk as FAs, none of them would've been it to keep.  If the NYY had a hard budget, Jeter, Posada, and ARod would've been gone.  It's nice rooting for them and all, but imagine how fun this winter would've been with VMart and Bay on the team.
    Posted by Joebreidey

Joe, this is the crux of the debate over Youk: Is he "aging" or does he still have a couple/few left on his prime.  many are quick to say the former, seeing as how he has been injured the past couple/few years.  My internal meter still reads that he has mileage left and is not the worn-out has-been that many are calling him.  I think it is foolish not to give a baseball player of Youkilis' quality another year to show what he can do.  If he plays a healthy(ish), full(ish) year, and there is a significant drop-off in production, ok, make a change.  If he can't stay healthy, ok, make a change.  But, why not open our minds to the possibility that last year was a bad health year, the year before a freak accident (which it most deifinitely was), and that he could step in and be the core of this line-up that he really is.  In any case, there is no harm in trying:  there is absolutely no way to get decent return on Youk right now, so he is here, like it or not.  And, health risk or no, he is way too good to be a straight salary dump. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In Response to Re: Is Youk getting the short end of the stick from RSN : SORRY SPACE .... "LET ME BE CLEAR",  THIS IS AN ELECTION YEAR AND IT'S ALL ABOUT THROWING ALL THE BUMS OUT !!  "BLAME IT ON THE OBAMA" !!!!
    Posted by Bill-806

Bill, 

Hope you're not referring to Youk as a bum !!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Is Youk getting the short end of the stick from RSN : I don't see it either, but it would be a way to try and keep Youk healthy. If Middlebrooks looks good in June and Papi gets hurt, who is the DH?
    Posted by moonslav59

Lava

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here's Youk's OPS since his rookie year...

.843                        .833 

If Youk follows a normal player age to OPS curve, one might expect an OPS aroung .900 to .950 in 2012.  I'm thinking it should be, if healthy, between at least .860 and .900.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Here's Youk's OPS since his rookie year...                                                .975                                        .961                                .958                         .843                        .833                  .810                      .805 .780 If Youk follows a normal player age to OPS curve, one might expect an OPS aroung .900 to .950 in 2012.  I'm thinking it should be, if healthy, between at least .860 and .900.
    Posted by moonslav59

I certainly feel better with your .860 - .900 range.  While I certainly respect the age/OPS tracking, it isn't common for a player to also switch to a more demanding position as they age.  Still, I wouldn't be surprised if Youk is healthy for the first half of 2012, if he ended up being traded for whatever need has arisen by that point.  Even if that need is just money to stay below the tax.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

He sure isn't getting a short end of the stick from his favorite fan on moon's Realistic Thread. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Is Youk getting the short end of the stick from RSN : I certainly feel better with your .860 - .900 range.  While I certainly respect the age/OPS tracking, it isn't common for a player to also switch to a more demanding position as they age.  Still, I wouldn't be surprised if Youk is healthy for the first half of 2012, if he ended up being traded for whatever need has arisen by that point.  Even if that need is just money to stay below the tax.
    Posted by JB-3

That depends on how the team is doing and if we are close, how well Aviles and or Middlebrooks is doing. Maybe we can trade Youk for Scoot and play him at 3B... LOL.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

He's bald, he's pudgy, and he's Jewish. Not exactly going to be a Red Sox fan favorite.

Tim Thomas should go in the "human rights" HOF for standing up to Uncle Barry.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Thanks gang for the input. I am glad to read that most would prefer Youk staying. I do need to completely disagree with JoeB. Yes, if they could, I think the Yanks would rid themselves of A-Rod and his stupid contract, but that ain't happening (thank you Hank).

As for Posada and Jeter. hard cap, soft cap, no cap, they were always retiring as NY Yankees. There is & was never any question to that. NY loves pomp and circumstance and plaques and monuments are what the F.O. lives for. Spots were reserved for Jeter and Posada years ago.

IMO, for any Sox fan to want to rid themselves immediately of Youk (remain nameless) is not a baseball fan at all (sorry). Fans demand all this loyalty to them and the team from a player, but have absolutely no loyalty to those who were such an important part of the team. And I am surprised to hear that removing Youk would be a good thing. If his body is unable to play the game, then come time when his contract expires, he should either retire or leave of his own accord and become a F.A. But until that time, R.S. FO should leave him alone and not wory about what you can get for him.

Anyway, that is just my opinion. We b*tch and moan that owners treat the game like a business with profit margins but some of us are no different with our only profit margin, that being a championship.

I was watching the MLB Network yesterday as they were discussing Posada'a retirement and then the brought up the following players:

Varitek
    D. Lee
    Vlady G

Analysts were claiming that Varitek would be an advantage to the Sox if he chose to play although by adding Shop & with Salty and the Kid, it is almost impossible to see that happening. I am glad the Sox offered him a come down to a S.T. look see. It is exactly what the Yanks did with Bernie. Now the ball is in Varitek's court and I hope he does exactly like Bernie and declines the offer and does like Bernie. Go home and see if you are needed come summer time. If not, retire quietly and gracefully.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallyac. Show wallyac's posts

New Jersey I think I might be able to help here.  Im a huge Red Sox, Celtics and Bruins fan.  I am also a huge Giants fan.  I read the Globe and Herald, as well as NY papers.   There is really not much of a differance in NY and Boston.  Its all about what have you done for me today. In NY, just a couple of weeks ago it was fire Coughlin, Eli sucks, get rid of Jacobs.  Now its Coughlin should be in the HOF and Eli is great and Lets keep Jacobs.   Youk is the type of player that people say the want, dive for balls, run into wall.  However if he gets hurt and cant play up to his to his or the fans standard, its get rid of him. The fans in NY and Boston are as fickle as the weather. I for one hope they keep Youck.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

He's bald, he's pudgy, and he's Jewish. Not exactly going to be a Red Sox fan favorite. Tim Thomas should go in the "human rights" HOF for standing up to Uncle Barry.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr
    Wink

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: Is Youk getting the short end of the stick from RSN : Kind of like we should do with an ageing you?
    Posted by CASox
    WHY ALL THIS HATE ???  BASEBALL IS ALL ABOUT PRODUCTION &  $$$$$$$.... YOU TELL ME, OH SMART ONE.... IS YOUK & BECKETT UNDER THEIR PRESANT CONTRACTS  A "POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE" TO THE VALUE OF THIS TEAM ????

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

Count me in the camp of those who beleive we can't get rid of the bum fast enough. He was a huge part of the clubhouse problem last year and he's been a clubhouse cancer and a crappy teammate since the day he arrived. The probelm with Youkilis is that he's just too damned stupid to understand how much damage he does with his ridiculous posturing and his inability to keep his mouth shut on any topic. 

It's clear Kevin is now unable to stay healthy enough to give us the 140 games we should be expecting from our starting 3B, couple that with the fact that anyone close to the situation readily admits he causes more problems when he's hurt and just hanging around the team, and it's time for him to go. Granted, with his injury issues and the fact that he's coming off surgery the Sox will be lucky to get 50 cents on the dollar for him, but this is a transitional year, with the goal being to reel in the salvagable players while weeding out the problems. Youkilis has always been a problem, this year he projects to be more of one. Time's up, see ya!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

New Jersey I think I might be able to help here.  Im a huge Red Sox, Celtics and Bruins fan.  I am also a huge Giants fan.  I read the Globe and Herald, as well as NY papers.   There is really not much of a differance in NY and Boston.  Its all about what have you done for me today. In NY, just a couple of weeks ago it was fire Coughlin, Eli sucks, get rid of Jacobs.  Now its Coughlin should be in the HOF and Eli is great and Lets keep Jacobs.   Youk is the type of player that people say the want, dive for balls, run into wall.  However if he gets hurt and cant play up to his to his or the fans standard, its get rid of him. The fans in NY and Boston are as fickle as the weather. I for one hope they keep Youck.
    Posted by wallyac

That would be Jessey - not Jersey and they way football and hockey are structured, a player going his whole career in one uniform is almsot impossible, except for maybe an elite QB. Baseball is structured in a way where you can maintain players for a full career if you so choose.

As for Giant fans - those who were calling for Eli and Coughlin's head 6 weeks ago needs to have their own head examined. Although I have a rooting interest in the Giants, they being a NY/NJ team, I am basically a Jet fan and all I have to say to giant fans who moan about Eli - do you want to trade QB's?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I like Youk and would want nobody else there at 3rd.  That said...I can't see the Sox offering a multi-year deal to him again without a drastic reduction in pay.  I don't know where they will find a 3rd baseman with the grit and give-all that Youk has.  At least with him in the clubhouse everyone knows exactly where he stands on all issues.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Is Youk getting the short end of the stick from RSN":
    I like Youk and would want nobody else there at 3rd.  That said...I can't see the Sox offering a multi-year deal to him again without a drastic reduction in pay.  I don't know where they will find a 3rd baseman with the grit and give-all that Youk has.  At least with him in the clubhouse everyone knows exactly where he stands on all issues. Posted by traven
    The Sox are very deep with 3rd basemen in the minors. My guess is that this will be his last contract and wouldn't be surprised if this is his last season in Boston...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

People are talking about trading him.  Why?  Because he signed a team-friendly contract and therefore CAN be traded.  Yet we complain about the players high salaries.

Isn't it hypocritical to want players to sign for less than they can get on the open market so they can stay with their team, and then trade them away because they signed that contract?  When this happens can you BLAME a player for getting every last $$ they can get when it 1) is their best way of staying where they are, and 2) they get more money for doing it?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

People are talking about trading him.  Why?  Because he signed a team-friendly contract and therefore CAN be traded.  Yet we complain about the players high salaries. Isn't it hypocritical to want players to sign for less than they can get on the open market so they can stay with their team, and then trade them away because they signed that contract?  When this happens can you BLAME a player for getting every last $$ they can get when it 1) is their best way of staying where they are, and 2) they get more money for doing it?
    Posted by S5

very well articulated.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

People are talking about trading him.  Why?  Because he signed a team-friendly contract and therefore CAN be traded.  Yet we complain about the players high salaries. Isn't it hypocritical to want players to sign for less than they can get on the open market so they can stay with their team, and then trade them away because they signed that contract?  When this happens can you BLAME a player for getting every last $$ they can get when it 1) is their best way of staying where they are, and 2) they get more money for doing it?
    Posted by S5

I know baseball is a business, and bla bla bla, but it would be nice if management remembered that these guys are human beings.  I hate what the Red Sox did with Arroyo (I know that they never gave him any guarantees) and I also hate what they put Lowell through, both of whom presumably left money on the table to play for the Sox.  

I do not want to see Youk traded.  Heck, I still want Varitek back.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I still remember Youk getting ticked at a called 3rd strike about 3 years ago.  Two innings later, the camera caught a shot of him in the dugout, and he was still shaking his head about the call.  Some people don't like his passion, but I love how he takes every at bat like it's the last out of the WS.

Sections
Shortcuts