Is Youk losing his job?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from angeroo. Show angeroo's posts

Is Youk losing his job?

As much as I like him, he does no good sitting on the bench.  The kid is taking advantage...Is Youk a modern day Wally Pip?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Is Youk losing his job?

Youk is a dead man walking !!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

yes - which NEVER would've happened if Francona were managing still...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from angeroo. Show angeroo's posts

Sure seems like it.  He's great when healthy......but what could they get for him?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Remember though, Youk had a ~400 OBP for 4 straight years and was able to drive up pitcher's NP......That isn't so easy to just replace in the line up even though Will so far looks great.

Youk could be trade bait but he could also be protection against losing Ortiz for DH next year as we have control on Kevin.  Ortiz looks like he'll be able to deman that 2-3 year contract at 15-16 million a year right now. I am not sure the Sox could afford that and if they should take that type of a committment.

Anyways, that's 2 reasons not to give up on Kevin right now......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

The sample sets are still very small. How many guys in 2009 came up and made great intial splashes only to tumble back to earth? Off the top there was Kalish, Darnell, Nava and Bill Hall cranked a lot of dingers.

So it is early to say for sure what will happen but the longer Middlebrooks plays like he is the more likely that Youk has trouble getting back into the line-up. And because Youk only plays corners and this team is carrying such a big pitching staff he might even be trade bait.

That said I am not huge on making prediction based on tiny sample sets. Too much can change as scouting reports on a players soft spots circulate through the league. Just same Middlebrooks has been a bright spot in a mostly dark season to date.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

assuming health, why cant the Sox juggle Youk 2 days at 3b and 1 day at 1b and 1 day at dh? between Youk, Midlebrooks, Agon and Papi, keep everyone, fresh, rested and healthy

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from angeroo. Show angeroo's posts

In Response to Re: Is Youk losing his job?:
    [QUOTE]assuming health, why cant the Sox juggle Youk 2 days at 3b and 1 day at 1b and 1 day at dh? between Youk, Midlebrooks, Agon and Papi, keep everyone, fresh, rested and healthy
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

That rotation sounds good.  I was never sold on Youk at 3rd.  Always like him much better at 1st.  It'll be tough to get at bats though.  Gonzo can't play anywhere else, and Papi is tearing it up.  And if the Kid keeps hitting it'll be tough to sit him.  He's athletic and looks good in the field, way more mobile than Youk.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OscarGamble. Show OscarGamble's posts

Does anyone really believe after the past two seasons (along w/ his current stint on the DL) that Youk can be relied upon? My guess is he'll be hurt again in some fashion before the AS break.
    This next few weeks/months will be the right time to trade him. He's not going to get the club option at seasons' end, that's for certain. Milwaukee just lost their 1B for the season. Youk's hometown Reds might have interest, though not at 1B. The value won't be great but teams will still be interested. And at $13 million he'll be almost certainly gone at the end of the year.
    Middlebrooks is still a long way from a sure thing but at 23, it's definitely promising. And we managed to put up w/ Pedroia's terrible April in 2007. That's one fingers-crossed situation that worked out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

When Youk is healthy, he starts at 3rd - because they need to showcase him to the rest of the league.

Amazing how quickly a person's career can head south. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]Remember though, Youk had a ~400 OBP for 4 straight years and was able to drive up pitcher's NP......That isn't so easy to just replace in the line up even though Will so far looks great. Youk could be trade bait but he could also be protection against losing Ortiz for DH next year as we have control on Kevin.  Ortiz looks like he'll be able to deman that 2-3 year contract at 15-16 million a year right now. I am not sure the Sox could afford that and if they should take that type of a committment. Anyways, that's 2 reasons not to give up on Kevin right now......
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

The Red Sox are not going to pay Kevin Youkilis $13M next year. He will get $1M to walk. Period.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]The sample sets are still very small. How many guys in 2009 came up and made great intial splashes only to tumble back to earth? Off the top there was Kalish, Darnell, Nava and Bill Hall cranked a lot of dingers. So it is early to say for sure what will happen but the longer Middlebrooks plays like he is the more likely that Youk has trouble getting back into the line-up. And because Youk only plays corners and this team is carrying such a big pitching staff he might even be trade bait. That said I am not huge on making prediction based on tiny sample sets. Too much can change as scouting reports on a players soft spots circulate through the league. Just same Middlebrooks has been a bright spot in a mostly dark season to date.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

fivekats - Kalish got hurt so he is a TBD, but you are comparing Will Middlebrooks, the Red Sox #1/2 prospect by many publications to Darnell McDonald, Daniel Nava and Bill Hall? Really?  None of those guys were prospects or anywhere near.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]Does anyone really believe after the past two seasons (along w/ his current stint on the DL) that Youk can be relied upon? My guess is he'll be hurt again in some fashion before the AS break. This next few weeks/months will be the right time to trade him. He's not going to get the club option at seasons' end, that's for certain. Milwaukee just lost their 1B for the season. Youk's hometown Reds might have interest, though not at 1B. The value won't be great but teams will still be interested. And at $13 million he'll be almost certainly gone at the end of the year. Middlebrooks is still a long way from a sure thing but at 23, it's definitely promising. And we managed to put up w/ Pedroia's terrible April in 2007. That's one fingers-crossed situation that worked out.
    Posted by OscarGamble[/QUOTE]

And if as you say, he will get hurt again, etc, what value, if any does he have in a trade?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Youk gets traded at the break, if healthy. I'd get him some 1B time, cause no-one's gonna take him for 3B...not for long anyways. Sometime ya just gotta cut the cord.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from angeroo. Show angeroo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Youk losing his job? : And if as you say, he will get hurt again, etc, what value, if any does he have in a trade?
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Probably not a lot.  And thats a problem.  And for his value to rise, he'll have to play and play good.  And if he's playing good, do you want to get rid of him?  It's a tough one.  Really depends on who else is healthy or not come July.  Could get real interesting though..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from angeroo. Show angeroo's posts

I think most of us can agree that this is Youk's final year in Boston.  So now it comes down to either get something for him or let him walk.  It's not easy being a GM..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Youk has been greater than anyone could have expected from when he first came up.  

Career OPS:

total                    878

runners on          999

risp                     992

vs NYY ('06 on)   954

But time waits for no man!

The kid should be the starter from now on.  Youk would have to outhit him by a ton to make up for the difference in the field.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Youk losing his job? : fivekats - Kalish got hurt so he is a TBD, but you are comparing Will Middlebrooks, the Red Sox #1/2 prospect by many publications to Darnell McDonald, Daniel Nava and Bill Hall? Really?  None of those guys were prospects or anywhere near.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]Look at how fast Middlebrooks stock rose in the first place. What a guys ranking as a prospects is often means very little for very long.

Delmon Young? Lastings Milledge?

I am not saying Middlebrooks may not well be the real deal. His trajectory last season in AA and the start of this season in AAA are impressive. All I am saying is that it is that his 1.361 OPS after 22 MLB PAs is not sustainable so it is a bit soon to predict Youk gone just yet.

OTOH, barring an catastrophic injury or Middlebrooks performance just falling apart, I do think Youkilis' option for 2013 won't be bought out.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Middlebrooks is on pace to hit 104 home runs.  This is all that matters 

Money mouth

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

[QUOTE]Middlebrooks is on pace to hit 104 home runs.  This is all that matters 
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]

I'd be happy with 80.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from teamguy. Show teamguy's posts

If you really believe Youk at 70% of what he used to be, best case scenario, is worth 6 million then he will get traded. Bear in mind it's not even a consistent 70% wih his persistent injuries. If not, as I believe, he has zero chance of anyone putting in a bid on his services.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

[QUOTE]assuming health, why cant the Sox juggle Youk 2 days at 3b and 1 day at 1b and 1 day at dh? between Youk, Midlebrooks, Agon and Papi, keep everyone, fresh, rested and healthy
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

You have someone who develops like Middlebrooks, you don't "juggle" him around; you play him every day.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

In Response to Is Youk losing his job?:
    [QUOTE]As much as I like him, he does no good sitting on the bench.  The kid is taking advantage...Is Youk a modern day Wally Pip?
    Posted by angeroo[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

its Wally Pipp not Pip! And yes he is gone what else do you expect from an overweight, out of shape 3b in the twilight of his career