Is Youk the odd man out after 2012?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Is Youk the odd man out after 2012?

I know it's a bit early to be talking about this, but this has been a topic of interest to me.

We know the Sox have an interesting decision with Ortiz after this season.  We know Ellsbury will want his money too, especially after the season he's having.  Lost in all of this is the fact that Youkilis becomes a free agent after 2012.  I think he will be very high in demand not just for his style of play but also for his character.  He's a guy that you can't directly build around and can use as a great compliment or missing piece.

Is it realistic to think that the Sox can lock up Ortiz for another few years at roughly $10M per season?  Ellsbury to a 5 or 6 year deal which could net out to be $70-$80M?  Then you have Youkilis who could be looking at a 4 year deal in the $60M range?

I would love for the Sox to extend Youkilis, but part of me sees this being a bigger dilemma than we view it today.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: Is Youk the odd man out after 2012?

In Response to Is Youk the odd man out after 2012?:
    [QUOTE]I know it's a bit early to be talking about this, but this has been a topic of interest to me. We know the Sox have an interesting decision with Ortiz after this season.  We know Ellsbury will want his money too, especially after the season he's having.  Lost in all of this is the fact that Youkilis becomes a free agent after 2012.  I think he will be very high in demand not just for his style of play but also for his character.  He's a guy that you can't directly build around and can use as a great compliment or missing piece. Is it realistic to think that the Sox can lock up Ortiz for another few years at roughly $10M per season?  Ellsbury to a 5 or 6 year deal which could net out to be $70-$80M?  Then you have Youkilis who could be looking at a 4 year deal in the $60M range? I would love for the Sox to extend Youkilis, but part of me sees this being a bigger dilemma than we view it today. Thoughts?
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

Ellsbury -70-80 mil? when Crawford gets about 142 mil .What will Boras be thinking?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

All very good questions SPC..But Ill probably think about it more at the end of the season after all is said and done.Youk DOES have a 13mil option for 13'. I would imagine it would be picked up..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

When the RS acquired AG, it marked the beginning of the end for Youk IMO.
    Youk is an excellent 1B, but just a mediocre 3B, and I think his offensive numbers have dropped off some because of the move.
    IMO, he does not have the arm to play third, nor the range. I have noticed that he has put on quite a bit of weight, so that has also contributed to the lack of quickness.
    It's possible he may be traded before he becomes a FA.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

In Response to Re: Is Youk the odd man out after 2012?:
    [QUOTE]All very good questions SPC..But Ill probably think about it more at the end of the season after all is said and done.Youk DOES have a 13mil option for 13'. I would imagine it would be picked up..
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

Definitely, it will be picked up ... so two more years of Youk at least.  

Tough figuring how much he really likes playing 3rd base though ... he used to say it was less punishing on the body, but it does not look that way with him playing there this year.   And it might be the reason his batting numbers are a bit off.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

this is an interesting situation.  i have been wondering about youk's future as well.

certainly youkilis is not going back to first base unless gonzalez is injured for a long period of time, but that does not mean that he is a great third baseman either.

he definitely will look better at third with a SS with better range, but that may not happen over night either.

when youkilis gets to the end of his current contract, he is likely to become the DH as was already mentioned because his days at third will be over and gonzalez will still only be in the middle of his current contract.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Youk the odd man out after 2012? : Definitely, it will be picked up ... so two more years of Youk at least.   Tough figuring how much he really likes playing 3rd base though ... he used to say it was less punishing on the body, but it does not look that way with him playing there this year.   And it might be the reason his batting numbers are a bit off.  
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

Youk has a bunch of nagging injuries this year and its reflected in his play in the field and at bat..He could be kept around after his contract to DH possibly..I think hes here through 2013 though, either way..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

And we thought that the TV ad with the dog worrying about his bone was funny.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

I don't think so at this point in time. His versatility allowed the RS to let Adrian Beltre go last year and get A-Gon, and Crawford. I think they show him the love with a (3) year deal and may extend him sooner.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crmn19. Show crmn19's posts

Quite possibly he could be gone.  However, I do not think, in spite of the year he is currently having, that Ortiz gets any where near 10 million for multiple years.  Designated hitters just won't be getting that past the current contracts.  That said, Youk may possibly remain as a more flexible type DH.  He certainly is more adept in the field than Ortiz and he is a better hitter, overall, than Ortiz who is more a long ball type.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]And we thought that the TV ad with the dog worrying about his bone was funny.
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

ROFL!  Seriously Elles will be gone before You ever would.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Is Youk the odd man out after 2012?:
    [QUOTE]I know it's a bit early to be talking about this, but this has been a topic of interest to me. We know the Sox have an interesting decision with Ortiz after this season.  We know Ellsbury will want his money too, especially after the season he's having.  Lost in all of this is the fact that Youkilis becomes a free agent after 2012.  I think he will be very high in demand not just for his style of play but also for his character.  He's a guy that you can't directly build around and can use as a great compliment or missing piece. Is it realistic to think that the Sox can lock up Ortiz for another few years at roughly $10M per season?  Ellsbury to a 5 or 6 year deal which could net out to be $70-$80M?  Then you have Youkilis who could be looking at a 4 year deal in the $60M range? I would love for the Sox to extend Youkilis, but part of me sees this being a bigger dilemma than we view it today. Thoughts?
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

DH, is a possibility in two or three years for Youk unless Theo feels Lavarnway is best suited there.  In that case Youk could be a valuable trade chip for 1B or DH somewhere else.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

How old is Youk?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]How old is Youk?
    Posted by cpjohn1[/QUOTE]

Youk is 32

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

There are too many factors to consider and too many things that can change between now and then to know what's going to happen to Youk.

My guess as of now would be that Ortiz will be offered arb and maybe a 2 year deal at a significantly reduced salary per year.  If Youk is re-signed past his option year, it will be with the intent of having him as primarily a DH who could fill in at 1B and 3B on occasion.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Can't see Ortiz getting more than a 1-year deal with a team option for a 2nd year.
    Better to let him go a year too soon than a year too late at his age.    His numbers could take a deep plunge at this stage of his career.
    The price for DH's has dropped considerably.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I agree with Kimmi. It's way to early to think about after the 2012 season.

I easily could see a scenario where Ortiz plays two more years, Youk plays two more at 3B then moves to DH at 35.

Then again, Ortiz is 35. Maybe because of pride, he pushes himself to stay in good shape and he lasts three or four more years through age 39. That would mean Youk would have to be the 3B  through age 36.

On the other hand, age and injuries could catch up with him sooner.

Or maybe Ortiz really drops off next year and Youk takes over at DH in 2013.

Then again, PH 3B don't grow on teams, so he might stay at 3B longer and someone else DHs.

There are too many variables right now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

this is an excellent post...some interesting points to consider...

i see a lot of VMART in Youk as a 3B...aging, not great defensivily. and Papi will be easier to sign and keep as DH than converting Youk...I can see both sides walking away when its over

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

They did a piece on MLB Network on how mediocre 3rd base has become since the days of Mike Schmidt and George Brett.
    Outside of ARod and Beltre, there are not many real hitters at the position.
    It was always looked at as a corner power position.
    Youk is not a good 3rd baseman, but his production puts him in the top tier of 3rd basemen at the plate. I don't think his injuries are in any way related to his playing a different position. He does look heavier than ever, though.
    As for Ellsbury, if he keep doing what he's done all season, he will become an elite player.
    If anyone thinks Reddick or anyone in the Sox system will easily replace all that Ellsbury brings to the table, they are dellusional.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from crmn19. Show crmn19's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with Kimmi. It's way to early to think about after the 2012 season. I easily could see a scenario where Ortiz plays two more years, Youk plays two more at 3B then moves to DH at 35. Then again, Ortiz is 35. Maybe because of pride, he pushes himself to stay in good shape and he lasts three or four more years through age 39. That would mean Youk would have to be the 3B  through age 36. On the other hand, age and injuries could catch up with him sooner. Or maybe Ortiz really drops off next year and Youk takes over at DH in 2013. Then again, PH 3B don't grow on teams, so he might stay at 3B longer and someone else DHs. There are too many variables right now.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Ortiz is not in Boston for any more than two years (and those one-at-a-time) and only at low money

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I've been contemplating this for a very long time....what to do with Youk.  Obviously he is a 3B, but we can't help but look into the future. The reality is when he comes off contract (assuming his option is picked up) Youk will be 34 years old, to sign him to a new deal would be to sign a position player at the age of 35 (not something I'm fond of)  

I love the idea of Youkilis at DH in his later years, but the real question is when he ages and slows down will he still put up offensive numbers?  I mean if his production drops off, then would even want him as a DH.

I know this sounds like Blasphemy, and yes I love Youk too but I think it all comes down to how he performs over these next two years. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]  I love the idea of Youkilis at DH in his later years, but the real question is when he ages and slows down will he still put up offensive numbers?  Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

That's a fair question.  Youk plays the game so physically hard that his body takes a pretty good beating every year, which I would think has to affect his offensive production, more so the older he gets.  Maybe not playing in the field will allow him to maintain a higher level of offense as he ages.

OTOH, Youk strikes me as the type who wants to be out there in the field.  He might have a hard time adjusting to the DH role.

Sections
Shortcuts