Isn’t it great that MLB doesn’t have a salary-cap system?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr.Bump. Show Mr.Bump's posts

Isn’t it great that MLB doesn’t have a salary-cap system?

I'm not knocking it. Sure I’m glad I live in New England and my Sox can get the Carl Crawfords and Adrian Gonzalezs of baseball. And if my GM makes a mistake, he can ship the player out and eat the salary. And I know that being a big spender doesn’t guarantee winning a championship. Just ask the Mets. But just ask yourself is it fair? Shouldn’t the fans of Pittsburgh or Kansas City have the same chance as our Red Sox? And I know that smaller market teams have reached the playoffs and won championships from time to time, like the Marlins. But is this system fair? And should we rejoice in a system that bestows on us the luxury of having a contender year after year?

The simple fact is that when teams like the Yankees and Red Sox can always be competitive, while teams like Tampa Bay and Florida can be competitive until they can't afford their stars, then there is no parity.

When only a few teams have the ability to reload while most of the league has to rebuild, then you have to say that parity just does not exist.

It's unfortunate that teams like Minnesota and San Diego that have great fan bases are losing little by little because they cannot afford to keep their superstars happy. Look at a guy like a Adrian Gonzalez. Here's a player that you can build a future around. He's happy in San Diego, they're starting to win ballgames. Can't afford him no more, he's off to Boston.. And this story repeats itself in another small market town every season.

Fans of smaller market teams know if their ownership spends intelligently regardless of their assets, they are still not on an even playing field with every other franchise and they don’t have a shot at winning. They know their team can’t carry this rush of young talent all the way through to October They know what will happen come the trade deadline; some big spender is going to open up the wallet once again, and grab that stud pitcher that is currently languishing in some small/ middle market team.

But once again as a Sox fan I’m okay with the system the way it is.

But is it fair?

What do you think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Isn’t it great that MLB doesn’t have a salary-cap system?

Fans from small market teams should stop whinning.

Only around 25,000 fans showed up today to see their home team the O's face the Yankees. 

When Tampa Bay was fighting for a playoff spot last season, only an average of 15,000 fans showed up. 

Buying a front row seat at face value in Toronto is as easy as ordering pizza over the phone.  And half of the fans at Roger Center were Red Sox fans.  I seriously thought I was in Boston and not in Canada. 

I once went to an A's vs. Red Sox game in Oakland and even parking was so easy and the stadium was not even half full.  And this was in 2006 when the A's were in first place!!!  

Don't hate the player, hate the game.  lol   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from djbosox2004. Show djbosox2004's posts

I think it sucks. I`d like to see a minimum to maximum salary cap to give the smaller market teams a fair chance.You can talk all you want about the Yanks and the Sox (and a few others) putting money back into the team,but the fact is that we have a clear demographic advantage.
     As far as teams like Tampa or the O`s or KC, etc, it`s hard to build a fan base when you know that your teams chances are pretty slim against other teams year after year.NOBODY supports losing year after year.
     Unfortunatly,the players union will make sure a salary cap will never exist.So baseball will continue it`s slow death.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The teams that make out the most with the current salary structure are the KC and Pittsburghs of the world. They put crap out there and make a ton of cash from the other owners. Bigger markets who spend there money often get burnt and the rare occassion lose money. Don't think the little fish want this to change. If anything a salary cap and a salary floor would benefit the Red Sox and the Yankees because they would not have to pay the other owners to have crappy teams.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from billsrul. Show billsrul's posts

A cap would be good, if it included a floor.  but that won't happen, player's union is too tough and the fact is that there would have to be nearly 100% revenue sharing for it to work...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from elvis-surfs. Show elvis-surfs's posts

baseball totally needs a hard cap, look at football and how much better it is for all the fans...level the playing field before the greatest of american games is ruined...imagine being a kid from a small market area...it is BS!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from justbaseball. Show justbaseball's posts

elvis, you say level the playing field before the greates of american games is ruined..........how long do you think it would take to ruin baseball.  They haven't had a salary cap for over 100 years.......how long do you think it will take.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

In Response to Re: Isn’t it great that MLB doesn’t have a salary-cap system?:
    [QUOTE]baseball totally needs a hard cap, look at football and how much better it is for all the fans...level the playing field before the greatest of american games is ruined...imagine being a kid from a small market area...it is BS!
    Posted by elvis-surfs[/QUOTE]

if footballs cap is so level / good

why the need for so many PO teams

imagine being a kid from a small market area...it is BS!

I grew up going into every September counting how many wins

my yanks needed to be  500

and I loved it

I still remember how excited i was when we were only 2 gms away from 500

( kinda like you guys yesterday ;-)

these days with cable / net

every fan can have  2 teams  2 watch and root for

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

I'm not knocking it. Sure I’m glad I live in New England and my Sox can get the Carl Crawfords and Adrian Gonzalezs of baseball. And if my GM makes a mistake, he can ship the player out and eat the salary. And I know that being a big spender doesn’t guarantee winning a championship. Just ask the Mets. But just ask yourself is it fair? Shouldn’t the fans of Pittsburgh or Kansas City have the same chance as our Red Sox? And I know that smaller market teams have reached the playoffs and won championships from time to time, like the Marlins. But is this system fair? And should we rejoice in a system that bestows on us the luxury of having a contender year after year?

It's not fair, but it's the system we have.  I don't think a salary cap would make it any better actually.  As for the Pirates and Royals, the reason for their futility is not money so much as it is gross incompetence.  Teams like the Marlins, Twins, A's, and Rays have found ways to win despite smaller payrolls.  (Although the Twins payroll has exploded in recent years).

The simple fact is that when teams like the Yankees and Red Sox can always be competitive, while teams like Tampa Bay and Florida can be competitive until they can't afford their stars, then there is no parity.

When only a few teams have the ability to reload while most of the league has to rebuild, then you have to say that parity just does not exist.

It's unfortunate that teams like Minnesota and San Diego that have great fan bases are losing little by little because they cannot afford to keep their superstars happy. Look at a guy like a Adrian Gonzalez. Here's a player that you can build a future around. He's happy in San Diego, they're starting to win ballgames. Can't afford him no more, he's off to Boston.. And this story repeats itself in another small market town every season.

Parity does not mean that teams are able to eep their stars.  Parity is that every team has a chance to win--every team does.  Also, why are you including Minnesota in this?  Minnesota have Mauer and Morneau both locked up long-term, and the reason they're interested in trading Liriano is b/c he doesn't fit their ideal view of a pitcher.  Apparently, Scott Baker and Carl Pavano do, which is just baffling to me.  Nothing against those pitchers, but they're hardly ideal in any sense of the word.

Fans of smaller market teams know if their ownership spends intelligently regardless of their assets, they are still not on an even playing field with every other franchise and they don’t have a shot at winning. They know their team can’t carry this rush of young talent all the way through to October They know what will happen come the trade deadline; some big spender is going to open up the wallet once again, and grab that stud pitcher that is currently languishing in some small/ middle market team.

But once again as a Sox fan I’m okay with the system the way it is.

Is your local mom and pop grocery store on an even playing field with Walmart or Target?  No.  It sucks, but that's business.  Certain teams will always have unfair advantages.  Implementing a salary cap only pushes more money into the owner's pockets rather than into the team.  Now, if MLB could force the owners to use that extra profit into paying some of the money used to build their stadiums back to the state governments, then you might be on to something.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I'm also okay with the system.  It's not like the Red Sox or Yankees are breaking any rules.  

There is also lack of fan support in the small market teams.  Like I have said, in 2006, the Oakland A's were in first place and the stadium was only half full.  
    This was on a nice sunny Saturday afternoon.  

That same year, Boston was out of the playoff picture but Fenway was still packed.  

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Sections
Shortcuts