Isnt it amazing how much more effective this offense is with a

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

Isnt it amazing how much more effective this offense is with a

lead off hitter who actually gets on base.  Keep up the good work Brock Holt.  Could Cecchini be your ideal number two hitter?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Isnt it amazing how much more effective this offense is with a

In response to mthomas43's comment:

lead off hitter who actually gets on base.  Keep up the good work Brock Holt.  Could Cecchini be your ideal number two hitter?

It's nice having a leadoff hitter get on, but the big problem with the offense early on was poor clutch hitting. The Sox were second in the lead in OBP, so getting guys on base wasn't the big problem. It was getting hits when guys were on.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

No. Bogaerts is on fire in the 2 spot with PD behind him, leave it alone.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

when napoli comes back....1-6 will make me tingly..

holt

x-bo

lasershow

God

Naps

Pierzyzjdyzwhatever

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Good Quality Start.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

Good Quality Start.

this too.  good point.

pitching, pitching, pitching....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

With a little bit more development I can see Cecchini as a top of the order hitter.  For now, I really like Bogaerts there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

holt

x-bo

lasershow

God

Naps

Pierzyzjdyzwhatever

Throw a healthy Vic in the 7 hole and I'll be almost as tingly as that avatar of yours makes me.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

B I N G O   DAT   !!!

Hey BINGO....Please explain how Cecchini can be the #2 hitter with Xander at 3rd and Drew at SS since Drew and Xander will be the starters and there is no changing that.

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

With a little bit more development I can see Cecchini as a top of the order hitter.  For now, I really like Bogaerts there.

This. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

In response to Bill-806's comment:

B I N G O   DAT   !!!

Hey BINGO....Please explain how Cecchini can be the #2 hitter with Xander at 3rd and Drew at SS since Drew and Xander will be the starters and there is no changing that.

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

Of all the people being talked about being moved to the outfield, Cecchini might be that guy. His SB numbers indicate he might have the most speed. Just a thought, but he has better OBP numbers than Holt in the minors.

This crowd at third is a problem, but at least it's a high quality one. 

BTW, I am not down on Holt, just skeptical he has suddenly become a major league player of this caliber. I will gladly be proven wrong. 

-Daf. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

holt

x-bo

lasershow

God

Naps

Pierzyzjdyzwhatever

It's comforting to see a Red Sox fan giving the Almighty the respect he deserves.  Bill needs another admonishment from his dad, "Son, you need to get some religion!"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

holt

x-bo

lasershow

God

Naps

Pierzyzjdyzwhatever

When Napoli comes back, Holt won't be playing. Remember Stephen Drew?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

holt

x-bo

lasershow

God

Naps

Pierzyzjdyzwhatever

When Napoli comes back, Holt won't be playing. Remember Stephen Drew?

Trade him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

OP is off.  As royf19 says, the team OBP is decent, but RISP disease is rampant.  

As of June 3, 2014, the Sox rank 12th in the AL in runs scored per game.  They are only 3 games below .500 mostly because the team ERA is 3d best in the AL.    

How bad is the hitting beyond that?  When Napoli returns to the infield, it is very likely it will push Brock Holt to the outfield.  Holt has little or no outfield experience, not much of an arm, and not that much speed, but right now, temporary though it might be, he has a hot bat and is going to stay in the lineup.

The outfield hitting so far is horrendous.  You remember when Gomes and Sizemore were platooning in LF?  That was because Gomes cannot for the life of him hit righties and Sizemore is the same about hitting lefties, so that means that with both of them now regulars one is inevitably a black hole.  And the third guy, the centerfielder Bradley, has an OPS below .600.  

Saltalamacchia, for those interested, is about even with Pierzynski hitting wise, but is much worse defensively, so losing him was good.  Ellsbury is definitely hitting better than Bradley, but he seems to be settling in at close to his career OPS of .770 or so.  Not bad, actually, until you know he is getting paid $22M/year for a light hitter whose defense is now a little suspect (he has a negative defensive WAR).   He's headed for about 45 SB's, which is very good, but not enough to justify the $22M.    Bradley, as bad as his hitting is, is not far behind Ells in rbi's and runs scored.  I will guarantee you that, had the Sox paid a king's ransom to keep Ellsbury and he were hitting/fielding as he is right now--don't forget that Yankee Stadium is much more friendly to lefty bats than is Fenway--the entire RSN would have serious buyer's remorse.  

Last year the Sox outfield hit fairly well because Ells, Victorino, Nava, and Gomes all had pretty good years. This year no one out there is hitting well, and I have serious doubts Victorino is going to avoid a lot of DL time this year.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

With Pedey's apparent loss of HR power, I think that ideally he would bat 2nd, but with the the lack of a clear potent number 3 or 4 slot hitter beyond Papi, Pedey stays in the 3 hole.

If we could pick up a legitimate clean-up hitter, I'd like to see this line-up by August:

1) Bogaerts (3B vs RHPs/SS vs LHPs)

2) Pedroia (2B)

3) Ortiz (DH)

4) _______ (probably a LF'er)

5) Napoli (1B)

6) Victorino (RF)

7) Drew vs RHPs/ AJ P (C) vs LHPs

8) AJP vs RHPs/ Holt (3B) vs LHPs

9) JBJ (Sizemore vs some tough lefties)

Sox4ever

Sections
Shortcuts