Issues for BDC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: Issues for BDC

Copied from the Mods thread

There are certain threads (and ONLY certain threads) that I'm unable to open. The Vazquesz thread is one of them. When I try to open them I get the message,

"The requested URL "http://boston.com/community/forums/sports/red-sox/on-the-front-burner/vasquez/100/7202528";; cannot be found or is not available. Please check the spelling or try again later."

This is apparently generated by Yahoo because it has the Yahoo logo attached to it - and Yahoo isn't even my browser!

..although I DO have to admit that posting something here feels like the proverbial tree falling in the forest.

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

And I have never posted here under any other names.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I don't think anyone from BDC is reading this thread any more. 

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

I hate when this happens....land on a tweet that sends a link to a story only to see this appear:

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles a month

Continue reading by subscribing to BostonGlobe.com for just 99¢.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I notice that every time I add a post, I get lost in the thread. It doesn't put me back where I was so it's hard to read.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

some poster's message boxes won't open

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Certain threads can't be opened.  When I click on the link for the thread about buying into jbj yet I get this with a Yahoo heading:

The requested URL "http://boston.com/community/forums/sports/red-sox/on-the-front-burner/jbj-u-buying-in-now/100/7225007"; cannot be found or is not available. Please check the spelling or try again later.

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

And I have never posted here under any other names.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mod2. Show Mod2's posts

I will send another email to the management of Boston.Com because I am not sure they read this thread. I know Teresa read it when she was in charge. If there is a response I will let you all know. Sorry for the issues. That's the best I can do.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to Mod2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I will send another email to the management of Boston.Com because I am not sure they read this thread. I know Teresa read it when she was in charge. If there is a response I will let you all know. Sorry for the issues. That's the best I can do.

[/QUOTE]

That's fine.  Thanks.  
    [object HTMLDivElement]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

They are conducting a survey with BDC right now. I was asked to do it and I mentioned a number of things that were said on this thread.

They are testing a newer site and getting opinions on it as well as moderator related questions. I like the format we have now and wasnt impressed with the new site they MIGHT use if the survey suggests  they should. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They are conducting a survey with BDC right now. I was asked to do it and I mentioned a number of things that were said on this thread.

They are testing a newer site and getting opinions on it as well as moderator related questions. I like the format we have now and wasnt impressed with the new site they MIGHT use if the survey suggests  they should. 

[/QUOTE]

OK, so that makes one member here who says they've gotten a survey.

Awesome!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Where did you get this survey?   I would like to complete it.

Who can I contact to voice my opinions?

Responding in these threads is accomplishing nothing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You are one of the more knowledgeable and reasonable posters and you seem eager to give constructive input.

I think that disqualifies you. LOL

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You are one of the more knowledgeable and reasonable posters and you seem eager to give constructive input.

[/QUOTE]

They should pick someone that is an unreasonable poster.....got anyone in mind?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to 2013soxchamps' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They should pick someone that is an unreasonable poster.....got anyone in mind?

[/QUOTE]

Well, there's unreasonable and then there's downright nuts!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mod2. Show Mod2's posts

Good morning all. First, a comment about the survey. I also was selected to complete the survey. Its not something you can sign up for: you have to be selected to complete it. It had nothing to do with me being a moderator here, at least that is my understanding, but rather it had to do with the volume of garbage I write here under my other screen name and the length of time I have been writing it. They are interviewing just five people to start with. I was sworn to secrecy about the proposed changes to the forum, so I can't get into detail about it. I was told the interview (which was conducted by a virtual meeting) would take 30m; it took an hour. While I promised to keep the nature of the changes they are considering confidential, I think its not a breach of confidentiality to state that I felt, overall, that one option that should be considered is fixing this forum rather than instituting wholesale changes to it.

Also, in response to the concerns of some posters who have not been able to post here over the past few days, I emailed Adrienne and received the following prompt and informative response. Please help me out by providing examples of the persistent problems with the formatting issue when the edit button is used (ie the "sea of white") so that I can forward to her the link as an example.

Here is her response to my email:

"Thank you for notifying us. We will get started on this new issue today. As for the formatting issue, I have been told several times by our development team that it has been fixed, but it seems to keep popping back up. Could you send me a screen shot of the issue as it stands now? Has anything changed about when/where the issue occurs?

Unfortunately with software, sometimes these little things take a long time time to nail down, because they're buried in mountains of code. Think of it like trying to find a loose screw within our entire printing press that's causing random black streaks on our paper edition. Now, imagine that the person who's task is to find the loose screw also has to fix our heating system before we boil to death in our office, and you have a pretty good idea of the workload of our developers.

So, any help (screenshots, detailed explanations) of the persistent issue that you might have would be incredibly helpful. I will also make a point to be more diligent about looking at the "Issues" section to be sure we are serving our loyal users to the best of our ability. Thanks again for all your help!"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

5 people?

There's a comprehensive survey for you.

Love the "loose screw in the printing press" analogy.

Does it take them 6 months to fix that too?

Somehow, I doubt it.

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]

Good morning all. First, a comment about the survey. I also was selected to complete the survey. Its not something you can sign up for: you have to be selected to complete it. It had nothing to do with me being a moderator here, at least that is my understanding, but rather it had to do with the volume of garbage I write here under my other screen name and the length of time I have been writing it. They are interviewing just five people to start with. [/QUOTE]

Bogus.  Who can I contact to voice my concerns regarding this specific forum?   Can you provide an email address please?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

I finally figured it out.   Everyone on this thread, maybe on the whole board, is a character in a Kafka novel, so we have secrecy, anonymity,  and unknown controllers.  Is it possible that we are not real , at worst, or just pawns in a game, at best ? Seems creepy to me.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Or as it appears that our  intelligence (?) services are more interested in what we normal idiots are doing on line, than dealing with external threats, perhaps we are part of some sick (?) experiment or mind control agenda of which we are totally unaware.  Yeah thats probably it.  Boy are they going to be disappointed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mod2. Show Mod2's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Good morning all. First, a comment about the survey. I also was selected to complete the survey. Its not something you can sign up for: you have to be selected to complete it. It had nothing to do with me being a moderator here, at least that is my understanding, but rather it had to do with the volume of garbage I write here under my other screen name and the length of time I have been writing it. They are interviewing just five people to start with. [/QUOTE]

Bogus.  Who can I contact to voice my concerns regarding this specific forum?   Can you provide an email address please?

[/QUOTE]

I would rather not publish the email address of the management here without their permission. Next time I write to them I will be sure to ask them if they would mind if their email address was made public here or if its OK to provide it privately to posters who request it. In her response Adrienne did mention that she would be more diligent in reading this thread so hopefully if you have specific concerns about how the forum is run you can write them here and they will get read by her and Chris. Also, as you know, when urgent concerns arise I forward them promptly to the management. I realize you will probably not be happy with this answer, but its the best I can offer for now.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

The issue is firefox and IE,  as it has been from the beginning. I have IE at home, firefox at work. I posted yesterdays gamethread, at home, and as soon as I hit add your post, it defaulted to yahoo/error and I couldn't access it, which I'm sure was for the best, along with other threads. Today, at work I can access all of them, with firefox.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCadminAddy. Show BDCadminAddy's posts

Good (semi)Morning to everyone!

I'm Adrienne, the new Product Manager for our forums and comments (among other things). As you might have guessed, I'm "the new guy" here (on the forums and b.com generally), and trying to acclimate to all the duties and commitments of my predecessors (I have actually taken on the job of two people). 

I know this has been a tough time for all of you, and I can relate. The transition from old to new Boston.com has been...bumpy to say the least. As you noticed, many small things (and some large ones) are funky, things can break without warning, and we're all left to wonder what the hell is going on. I'm so impressed and delighted with the resilience of this community and I hope we can work together to get your space back to normal. Maybe we can even make some improvements along the way! 

There are a couple issues I wanted to touch on while I had a moment. First, to apologize for taking so long to read through this board and listen to your concerns. Even with everything going on, you the users are our most important priority, and I unfortunately got lost in the machine of this company for a little too long. So I promise you that I (or at the very least someone from my team) will be here to create the two-way conversation you deserve. 

Second, I saw some conversation about this "survey" (which was not a survey at all, but I'll get to that in a minute) that we were conducting and I wanted to shed some light on it. Most importantly, we were actually testing a prototype of a new product we were considering working on. It was in no way meant to be shared with the public. As you know, boston.com could use new ways of engaging our users, and it would be poor form not to experiment with and think about the how we might do that. Part of that experimenting process needs to be asking users to use these experiments and give us feedback along the way. This means, if we reach out to you (like we did with the mods) you're going to see stuff that's a little rough around the edges. But this also means that you'll be able to help us refine the product before it makes it to a full release. Hopefully, this will ensure that we're only releasing things that are awesome and valuable to you, our community of users.

So when we started thinking about this new product, we asked several people to participate in preliminary (and confidential) user test of a very early version. And the testing was very helpful! Both of our moderators participated and gave us lots of valuable feedback and we've been able to shape our vision moving forward as a result. I'd like to do more of these tests with different users as we begin to think about other products we might introduce. It's my hope that we begin to build things you would like to use, because you had a hand in creating them. But, it's important that everyone understand these tests aren't products set in stone or even set in wet sand. In all likelihood, many of them will never become public facing tools because you, our users, tell us that they're not useful or that they're not solving the problem we think they are. 

Finally I wanted to address this issue of the time it is taking to get current bugs moving through our development cycle. As you saw from my email to one of the mods, it's a tricky situation and we are severely understaffed. I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but we are currently hiring for 20 new developers. No, that's not a typo. We are at least 20 people short of a full development team. Crazy right? (If you're a web developer looking to help work on these issues, feel free to DM me) We're lucky to have a new owner that understands the amount of work it takes to make a fully functional and bug-free website, but there will definitely be some growing pains in the process. So this is why it takes 6 months to find a "loose screw" (to use my own analogy). Again, I know this is no excuse, and part of the problem has been our radio silence but I'm hoping to change that starting now. I can't promise that I'll be here every day, but I can commit to checking on this thread at least several times a week to answer questions and file new issues with our developers.

Thanks again for being a member of this vibrant and awesome community. And thank you for your feedback, patience and empathy while we get through this growth spurt together. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

Thank you for the update Adrienne :-)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCadminAddy. Show BDCadminAddy's posts

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The pop up ads on the political forum are annoying.  Even when I hit the close button, they open.

[/QUOTE]

Hi Steven,

I'm the product manager for all the forums and comments on b.com. Can you send me a screenshot of this issue? I'd be happy to file it with our developers and work on getting it fixed. But I can't seem to cause it on my machine. Also, what browser/computer are you using?

Sections
Shortcuts