It is racist to use Dice-K or any other Japanese pitcher as a tool to access posting on Tanaka!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: It is racist to use Dice-K or any other Japanese pitcher as a tool to access posting on Tanaka!

It was tongue in cheek when I called for people calling others racist to be thrown off the board... however you don't call people racists in the case of comparing one Japanese pitcher to another just becasue someone didn't like Dice K's overall performances.

Personally I rooted for Dice-K to the virtual end... this was not something that happened to me here.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: It is racist to use Dice-K or any other Japanese pitcher as a tool to access posting on Tanaka!

Actually one of my favorite posters mef jumped on another poster the other day because the poster said  on a Tanaka thread that we did not need another Dice-K due to the expense of the posting fee and poor performance. mef accused him of making  a racist statement because the poster used another Asian pitcher (Dice) as a template for his opinions on Tanaka. Eventually they talked it out and no worries... but too many times people are quick to accuse racism and once that accusation is made the damage is done - no retraction erases it. 

Being a baseball forum it probably doesn't go too far but in the real world way too many people scream "racism" without any basis at all.

Take Dice-K, and Japan professional ball, and the posting fee's. How can we not talk about Japanese pitchers in the subject of Tanaka. As if negative talk about Dice-K equated to racism? lol.

softlaw does what he does. I gave him quite a bit of grief about his calling the entire city of Boston and most of this forum racist in regards to not wanting to offer Ortiz some long-term extension (2 years ago?) ..... he denied it but indeed he was playing the reverse-race card on all of us. I called him out.

Most other times I barely absorb what he says outside of ball talk or making fun of moonslav.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

Actually one of my favorite posters mef jumped on another poster the other day because the poster said  on a Tanaka thread that we did not need another Dice-K due to the expense of the posting fee and poor performance. mef accused him of making  a racist statement because the poster used another Asian pitcher (Dice) as a template for his opinions on Tanaka. Eventually they talked it out and no worries... but too many times people are quick to accuse racism and once that accusation is made the damage is done - no retraction erases it. 

Being a baseball forum it probably doesn't go too far but in the real world way too many people scream "racism" without any basis at all.

Take Dice-K, and Japan professional ball, and the posting fee's. How can we not talk about Japanese pitchers in the subject of Tanaka. As if negative talk about Dice-K equated to racism? lol.

softlaw does what he does. I gave him quite a bit of grief about his calling the entire city of Boston and most of this forum racist in regards to not wanting to offer Ortiz some long-term extension (2 years ago?) ..... he denied it but indeed he was playing the reverse-race card on all of us. I called him out.

Most other times I barely absorb what he says outside of ball talk or making fun of moonslav.

Sorry Enchillada.  Weak response?  If the "calling all Boston & Red Sox fans racist for not wanting to give Papi a 2 year extension, all the while himself being the biggest opponent to the extension, was the only incident, this lame excuse might fly....  You well know it is not even close to the only incident of said race-baiting.  Cut the shyttte!  You know he does it on a regular basis, and not just to tweak liberals.  He seems to have a particular affinity for it?  Why?  Because he likes it.  Simple as that!  You avoid the question about gay-baiting.  Why?  Call it what you will.  Homophobia?  Who cares what you call it, but it's clear he enjoys picking the scab.  To what end I ask you?  Christian brotherhood?  Trying to change hearts & minds?  You know that's not it.  So I ask you.......  Do you enjoy this?  Do you support somebody who regularly race-baits & gay-baits, because "he sure knows his baseball?"  

Please stop with the half-hearted denounciations, as they ring hollow, & insult your own intelligence.  Either stand for or against.  One does not need to damn someone to hell to denounce certain rhetoric.  You simply tell them they are doing wrong, & to knock it off.  You don't play with it, & pretend it's simply humor the rest of us don't get.  Or....  Irony?  Please!  The guy is not being ironic, by tweaking liberals for their obvious liberal use of the "race" card.  He is quite simply a prolific race-baiter (a la Al Sharpton), & a disgusting gay-baiter, who is content to damn all gays to hell (with absolutely no pretense of "saving them.").  Does this guy strike you as the Billy Graham type?  Of course not!

So please cut the shytte!  Step up & put your irony where your money is.  Yes!  We all get that YOU were trying to make a point about people unfairly calling others racists.  It just doesn't carry the same cache' as when somebody who calls out real racists & bigots does it.  Step up & try again.  I know you're not of Stiffy's persuasion, so make it CLEAR!  No equivication.  You can't have it both ways.

You are working way to hard here....  Begs the question , who are you trying to impress here ???????

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

You are working way to hard here....  Begs the question , who are you trying to impress here ???????

Funny how you never asked softy this question about any of his equally long and even more sermonizing rants!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Funny how you never asked softy this question about any of his equally long and even more sermonizing rants!

Perhaps it was the entertainment factor, compared to the big brother/Government continued demonizing of other peoples opinions !!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Perhaps it was the entertainment factor, compared to the big brother/Government continued demonizing of other peoples opinions !!!!!

I haven't seen anyone on this board who is more intolerant of other people's opinions than softy.  Softy only respects opinions that are exactly the same as his.  That is un-American.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

And on a personal note, I have been to Mexico many many times and have seen what their culture is, and I like it very much.

I usually visit the touristy places, but I also feel very at home in Mexico.  I sit in a cantina and literally feel myself sinking into the bar stool.

On this side, again, I only know the Mexicans that work around here, but they're all cool.  Once the Mexicans stopped doing my lawn, I had to go back to doing it myself since no one besides the Mexicans know how to cut a straight line.  We had Mexicans do our kitchen floor.  I was going to pull up a chair to keep an eye on their work.  5 minutes later, I just started laughing at the level of their craftsmanship, and figured my time would be better spent trying to upgrade your BB knowledge, as fruitless as that can be.

Then I watched the Mexicans clean my chimney in 95 degrees.  I became nauseous from how hard they were working.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I haven't seen anyone on this board who is more intolerant of other people's opinions than softy.  Softy only respects opinions that are exactly the same as his.  That is un-American.

To be honest, among Americans, there is no shortage of people that think the right to your own opinion is a right to MY opinion, and the concept of diversity means you have to accept me, not I have to accept you.

It's unfortunate, but it does improve as people age.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

What a ridiculous thread.

The Japanese aren't a "race".

I am not saying the OP is ridiculous, just the concept.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

To be honest, among Americans, there is no shortage of people that think the right to your own opinion is a right to MY opinion, and the concept of diversity means you have to accept me, not I have to accept you.

Your right Joe and thank you very much......  Heck, it only took 4 days for the thread to get to the right point !!

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

It is an age thing And also It is more of a group think opinion.

I believe most under 40 are blind to gays, race, etc... Meaning they do not care what or who you are.

Older folks have a harder time with gay issues and IMO they in General have issues with race.  They have a tendency to use the race much quicker. They also have a harder time with gay issues as well.

my belief is that those under 40 have lived in a more accepting life style And are much more accepting. 

Those over 40 were products of the end of segregation and the emergence of gay rights. Thus have a harder time with acceptance Of different life styles.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I agree with this to a point, but when one's opinion is that "nothing good ever came out of Mexico", thats bigotry-as well as being a false statement. That should be called out and labeled for what it is.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Yeah but you know what those people under 40 are like.  Not like us old school people with, you know, values. Everything was fine until those under 40s with anti-duck values came along

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

I agree with this to a point, but when one's opinion is that "nothing good ever came out of Mexico", thats bigotry-as well as being a false statement. That should be called out and labeled for what it is.

Well Pumpsie,  OK,OK,OK .....  I get it .......  So outside of the good vacation spots (that are not as secure as they once was) tell me/us all the good things that missed that has you playing the "B-CARD" !!!!

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Well Pumpsie,  OK,OK,OK .....  I get it .......  So outside of the good vacation spots (that are not as secure as they once was) tell me/us all the good things that missed that has you playing the "B-CARD" !!!!

Sure Bill. I will do your homework for you. But first, I am glad that you are finally beginning to "get it". There is no society on earth that is as worthless as you have labeled Mexico. In every society there is are both good thing and evil things that come out of it, including our own. Mexico has its share of problems, but so does our own society. As I told you earlier, while our family unit continues to deteriorate the family unit in the Mexican culture remains strong. I could see that every day when I was a practicing pediatrician. More often I see a mom and a dad with the kids; here, its hit or miss. They take care of their elders; often we put ours in nursing homes. That color TV you watch the Sox play baseball on was originally invented by a Mexican man named Guillermo Camerena. Another guy discovered the element Vanadium; another invented the contraceptive pill. Others made contributions to the global society in their own areas of interest. Look through this list and tell me which individuals brought "nothing" to the table. Like I said, when you generalize like you did, you sound like a fool. Here is the list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mexicans

Would it not be better to simply state what it is about Mexico that you dislike rather than make ignorant sweeping statements like the one you made earlier that got deleted by the mods because it was bigoted? Chances are we would agree, had you done that.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

burr, that whole situation was messed up and mostly my fault too. i had no intentions of jumping on Soxnewmex and in actuality, forgot i was even making that post in response to his. i've since apologized for the mistake. i also should have provided more context in my statement regarding the comparison of foreign players. i have no problem with people wanting to compare Tanaka and Dice-K. The thing that irks me about it though is a lack of intelligence when doing so.

for example, When the story of Darvish coming to the US broke there were plenty of threads on the subject. in virtually every one of them there were several posts saying to stay as far away as possible from him (don't even make a bid for him) because Dice-k didn't meet expectations. forget the fact that they are 2 different pitchers with 2 very different skill sets. if they did a proper comparison of the 2 players they would have found that the only thing the 2 pitchers had in common was that they both hail from the same land.

Then this past year when Ryu was posted there were posts saying the same types of things "one Dice-K was enough!" completely ignoring the fact that he is Korean and did not even come out of the japanese baseball league.....

i just think that regardless of if a player came from Japan, Korea, Cuba or Australia that they should be compared with players of a similar skill set when attempting to determine their MLB productivity. if we have a SP prospect from canada that throws 93-95, has a 2-seamer with good movement, a cutter and a nice curve ball are you going to compare him to fellow canadian ryan dempster or Jon Lester?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

A comparison of Tanaka's performance in the Japanese league to other's who have made the jump here is certainly relevent.

But for someone to say a certain club should not invest in Tanaka based on the failures of Irabu, Igawa or of Dice-K like Tanaka is not an individual but an incarnate of others is pretty stupid too imo.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I'm Korean.  And I am tired of people assuming that I am a black belt in karate, good in math and like rice.   LOL

I do not know any karate, I am not good in math and I prefer a nice juicy steak (medium) with gravy and mashed potatoes.   Laughing

Speaking of Korea, Luke Scott signed a deal with a Korean baseball team.  The Korea media is treating him as if he is the next Mike Trout.   LOL

Sure Bill. I will do your homework for you. But first, I am glad that you are finally beginning to "get it". There is no society on earth that is as worthless as you have labeled Mexico. In every society there is are both good thing and evil things that come out of it, including our own. Mexico has its share of problems, but so does our own society. As I told you earlier, while our family unit continues to deteriorate the family unit in the Mexican culture remains strong. I could see that every day when I was a practicing pediatrician. More often I see a mom and a dad with the kids; here, its hit or miss. They take care of their elders; often we put ours in nursing homes. That color TV you watch the Sox play baseball on was originally invented by a Mexican man named Guillermo Camerena. Another guy discovered the element Vanadium; another invented the contraceptive pill. Others made contributions to the global society in their own areas of interest. Look through this list and tell me which individuals brought "nothing" to the table. Like I said, when you generalize like you did, you sound like a fool. Here is the list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mexicans

Would it not be better to simply state what it is about Mexico that you dislike rather than make ignorant sweeping statements like the one you made earlier that got deleted by the mods because it was bigoted? Chances are we would agree, had you done that.

I think that I have already done that, (3 things) and look at all the heat I have taken .........

I think that I have already done that, (3 things) and look at all the heat I have taken .........

Its not the three specific things you mentioned for which you are getting heat, its your sweeping generalization that "nothing good has ever come out of Mexico" for which you have been rightfully called out.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

mef429 I hope you know it was not about you, but I had had to use your post on the Tanaka thread as example to a much larger issue... You are a good poster, and seem like a good person all around. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I'm Korean.  And I am tired of people assuming that I am a black belt in karate, good in math and like rice.   LOL

I do not know any karate, I am not good in math and I prefer a nice juicy steak (medium) with gravy and mashed potatoes.   Laughing

Speaking of Korea, Luke Scott signed a deal with a Korean baseball team.  The Korea media is treating him as if he is the next Mike Trout.   LOL

cream you of course are the best poster on the board! Hunor A+

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

mef429 I hope you know it was not about you, but I had had to use your post on the Tanaka thread as example to a much larger issue... You are a good poster, and seem like a good person all around. 

thanks burr, and i get it. While there certainly are racists and bigots on the board (see: softlaw and to a lesser extend Bill-806) and like Pumpsie said, deserve to be called out on their bigotry i see where you're coming from too. it can easily turn into a witchhunt where posters who are simply trying to make a valid comparison get falsely labeled by others who are too keen on pointing the finger. like you said, my other post was a prime example of that. (however indirect or mistaken i was)

i just wished to provide some context on the matter.

• Sections
    Shortcuts