It is the best of times...it is the worst of times...to be a Sox poster?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

It is the best of times...it is the worst of times...to be a Sox poster?

The way I see it, you can't lose following the Sox this year, if they play well and make the playoffs the season will be a success. The Bobby V sycophants will be all over this site. If the Sox crash and burn, then the negative Nancies, will have a field day. We all have wipping boys, mine being management hasn't gotten the arms for the bullpen, just thinking about the fun I'm going to have harping about every last inning collaspe is leaving me giddy. Whoa getting a little ahead of myself. So cheer up good times are ready to roll.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

Re: It is the best of times...it is the worst of times...to be a Sox poster?

Who said that we wouldn't have any fun bashing now that Drew, Tek, Wake, Tito, and Theo are gone. This is going to be like taking candy from a baby. Are you ready to stick it to Carl Crawful, I can't wait. Poor Yazzer is going to miss out on a lot of fun here in the forum.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to Re: It is the best of times...it is the worst of times...to be a Sox poster?:
    Who said that we wouldn't have any fun bashing now that Drew, Tek, Wake, Tito, and Theo are gone. This is going to be like taking candy from a baby. Are you ready to stick it to Carl Crawful, I can't wait. Poor Yazzer is going to miss out on a lot of fun here in the forum.
    Posted by 6k42lt913c

That's the spirit I'm talking about?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

2011-2012,it was the Winter of our discontent.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

the sad truth is looking into a crystal ball this year may very well be the last year for a playoff run for the next 3 or 4 years.The sox are stuck with beckett,lackey,crawford and gonzalez at $80 million and ellesbury is another $20 million if they resign him.The rays and jays are a good $100 million UNDER the luxury tax with 2 of the best farms in baseball heavy with pitchers in the upper minors and not a single bad contract.The yanks have a couple of decent pitchers in the upper minors and the cash to go hog wild even if it costs them tons of luxury cash...think hamels and greinke wild.The sox are really under the gun with very little wiggle room. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: It is the best of times...it is the worst of times...to be a Sox poster?:
    2011-2012,it was the Winter of our discontent.
    Posted by mrmojo1120

... made glorious summer by this slept on underdog.

And all the clouds lowered upon our house

In the deep bosom of the playoffs buried.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In Response to Re: It is the best of times...it is the worst of times...to be a Sox poster? : ... made glorious summer by this slept on underdog. And all the cluds lowered upon our house In the deep bosom of the playoffs buried.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Well done Spce !! Also,it's kind of appropriate Boston has a Bard on the roster.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: It is the best of times...it is the worst of times...to be a Sox poster? : Well done Spce !! Also,it's kind of appropriate Boston has a Bard on the roster.
    Posted by mrmojo1120

thou speakest true, fair mojo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: It is the best of times...it is the worst of times...to be a Sox poster?":
    the sad truth is looking into a crystal ball this year may very well be the last year for a playoff run for the next 3 or 4 years.The sox are stuck with beckett,lackey,crawford and gonzalez at $80 million and ellesbury is another $20 million if they resign him.The rays and jays are a good $100 million UNDER the luxury tax with 2 of the best farms in baseball heavy with pitchers in the upper minors and not a single bad contract.The yanks have a couple of decent pitchers in the upper minors and the cash to go hog wild even if it costs them tons of luxury cash...think hamels and greinke wild.The sox are really under the gun with very little wiggle room.  Posted by iamme17
    "Stuck" with a perennial MVP candidate entering his prime at below market value (Gonzalez)....interesting take...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I tend to be upbeat early on even though last year I was down as we were approaching the end of April. 

All the dire predictions could of course come true--Beckett collapses, Crawford stays bad, Buchholz back goes out or he regresses to poor command of his pitches, Ellsbury fades, Sweeney/Ross don't help, Aviles can't hit or field, ditto Youk, and the bullpen gives up all the runs the opposing teams could possibly want. 

But right now I'm just fascinated by the process.  Aceves has in fact had a very good save after the two horrible appearances.  Atkinson and Padilla have looked good.  Doubront and Bard just might be OK, and Cook and Matsuzaka are poised to move into the rotation.  Beckett should come around, and hopefully so will Buchholz.  Ellsbury is bound to come around in my opinion, ditto Youk.  Lavarnway might need to be inserted to provide some hitting at the C position.  And so on. 

The one thing good about this tough early schedule--at Detroit, at Toronto, now the Rays and Yankees and whoever at Fenway--is that it will go a long way to helping Valentine and the FO  determine just what kind of hand has been dealt in 2012.  If the Sox demonstrate conclusively they cannot right now beat good teams, maybe management will make some moves.  But if the Sox are around .500, then bold moves are less likely. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to "Re: It is the best of times...it is the worst of times...to be a Sox poster?": "Stuck" with a perennial MVP candidate entering his prime at below market value (Gonzalez)....interesting take...
    Posted by jasko2248

I was thinking the same thing. Adrian Gonzalez is an excellent two-way player and we are lucky to have him. He is a quiet and professional athlete , I wish we had more like him.

Just wondering how we are "stuck" with a player like that?

But by the same token, Milwaukee is "stuck with Braun, Angels are "stuck" with Pujols.

Other high priced  players that teams are "stuck" with:

Prince Fielder-Detroit
    C.C. Sabbathia- Yankees
    Evan Longoria-Tampa
    Mark Texeira- Yankees
    Joey Votto-Reds
    A-Rod- Yankees

This is a disturbing trend in MLB , to "lock up" star quality players for the remainder of their career. Distrubing from the standpoint of the fan because if these guys get injured or flat out don't produce they are hard to unload.

Why do they do it? ...because the upside to having a team of elite players means more playoff games, more T.V. contracts, higher merchandise sales ( souveniers, food at the park , etc.) You have to look at the business side of things and undertand that having "star quality" players on your team makes sense from strictly a "for profit" angle. You will sell more Beckett and Matsuzaka jerseys than you will sell Sweeney and Punto jerseys. The return on the investment is about more than winning ballgames, although winning is usually considered a bonus to team revenue as all the bandwagon jumpers will buy merchandise for a winning team, while the mediocre team won't get the sales from the fairweather folks.

As I've said before, and many of you don't seem to get it, pro sports today is more about making money than winning championships. Although winning does help, it is not mandatory. Look no further than our own Boston Red Sox and Bruins, who have combined for only 3 championships since 1972...yet still have a strong fanbase and always will, win or lose. Hockey and baseball are a tradition in Boston, going back to the early 1900's.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Zillagod, there is an article in the Globe that the sold out games record has lasted 9 years, which means it goes back to 2003, a year in which the Sox went to the playoffs and lost, heartbreakingly, to the NYY in I think the ALCS.  The next year the Sox won their first WS in 86 years and won again in 2007.  Then the playoffs in I think 2008 and 2009, then I think dry spells in 2010 and last year. 

While I agree MLB is a business, it does seem to me the Sox management wants to put a good product on the field and that the fans in fact respond to the good product.  Yes, the pitching collapsed last September but the Sox still came very close to the playoffs because they did in fact have a very good lineup. 

You paint a picture of this long, long Red Sox drought, caused by stupid ownership that just wants to put stars with no value on the field, etc. 

In reality, I think we are still within the Red Sox renaissance.  Who else has won 2 WS in the last ten years?  Not the Yankees, that's for sure.  I believe the only other team is the Cardinals. 

This could be a bad year, maybe as bad as 2006.  Then the bottom could drop out.  But my point is that hasn't happened yet, and you seem to think it has. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: It is the best of times...it is the worst of times...to be a Sox poster?":
    That Was Me I Am Me Different monikers Same intent. Posted by Firefligh2008
    Great post, Zilla...I'm just glad he signed before Fielder & Pujols. Gonzalez likely would have recieved well over 200 million on the open market this winter...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to It is the best of times...it is the worst of times...to be a Sox poster?:
       The way I see it, you can't lose following the Sox this year, if they play well and make the playoffs the season will be a success. The Bobby V sycophants will be all over this site. If the Sox crash and burn, then the negative Nancies, will have a field day. We all have wipping boys, mine being management hasn't gotten the arms for the bullpen, just thinking about the fun I'm going to have harping about every last inning collaspe is leaving me giddy. Whoa getting a little ahead of myself. So cheer up good times are ready to roll.
    Posted by attic-dan

Dicken's Tale of Two Cities. Appropo and pertinent two both Yanks and Sox in relation to this season. Who's playing Charles Darnay? There are several correlations implied to the teams, cities and our economic and pending monarchy in America. The guillotine!!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

the sad truth is looking into a crystal ball this year may very well be the last year for a playoff run for the next 3 or 4 years.The sox are stuck with beckett,lackey,crawford and gonzalez at $80 million and ellesbury is another $20 million if they resign him.The rays and jays are a good $100 million UNDER the luxury tax with 2 of the best farms in baseball heavy with pitchers in the upper minors and not a single bad contract.The yanks have a couple of decent pitchers in the upper minors and the cash to go hog wild even if it costs them tons of luxury cash...think hamels and greinke wild.The sox are really under the gun with very little wiggle room. 
    Posted by iamme17

If the Sox were smart, they'd offer Ells an extension right now to lower his monetary demand because of his propensity to injury. They could save millions.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

In Response to Re: It is the best of times...it is the worst of times...to be a Sox poster? : If the Sox were smart, they'd offer Ells an extension right now to lower his monetary demand because of his propensity to injury. They could save millions.
    Posted by GEAUX-TIGRES

LOLOL. That would be like giving a points handicap to a one-legged man in an azz kicking contest.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

In response to "Re: It is the best of times...it is the worst of times...to be a Sox poster?": "Stuck" with a perennial MVP candidate entering his prime at below market value (Gonzalez)....interesting take...
    Posted by jasko2248

Ummm....he's making $21M/yr.....hardly what I would call "below market value".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In Response to Re: It is the best of times...it is the worst of times...to be a Sox poster? : Ummm....he's making $21M/yr.....hardly what I would call "below market value".
    Posted by TBINFL

Considering the contracts signed by Prince Fielder and Albert Pujols this off season, I would say that, yes, they signed him for significantly less than he would have received on the open market. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

In Response to Re: It is the best of times...it is the worst of times...to be a Sox poster? : Considering the contracts signed by Prince Fielder and Albert Pujols this off season, I would say that, yes, they signed him for significantly less than he would have received on the open market. 
    Posted by jasko2248

What's to say they aren't "over market value"?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In Response to Re: It is the best of times...it is the worst of times...to be a Sox poster? : What's to say they aren't "over market value"?
    Posted by TBINFL

The point is that by locking him up last April, they saved a significant amount of money.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

In Response to Re: It is the best of times...it is the worst of times...to be a Sox poster? : The point is that by locking him up last April, they saved a significant amount of money.
    Posted by jasko2248

Maybe.

Sections
Shortcuts