It is Time for the Tito Bashers to Step Forward Again

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

It is Time for the Tito Bashers to Step Forward Again

So, the Sox are 10-1 in their last 11.  Based on the prevailing logic, the 10 wins were a combination of Tito doing what he is paid to do and the Sox winning in spite of him.  The one loss is, of course, all Tito's fault.  I just wanted to get that straight heading into the All-Star break.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: It is Time for the Tito Bashers to Step Forward Again

They should have been 11-0.  And the club should be undefeated on the season at this juncture.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

In Response to Re: It is Time for the Tito Bashers to Step Forward Again:
    They should have been 11-0.  And the club should be undefeated on the season at this juncture.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

And they only scored four runs in Saturday's game. Definitely FrancoMa's fault.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

I'd like to rephrase that. Time for the Tito Bashers to Step Forward and kiss my azz!

(_l_)  <======< kiss it!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dskjold. Show dskjold's posts

I know this is about 'Coma, but let's not forget that he stuck with the jitterbugging lightweight in center.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I know this is about 'Coma, but let's not forget that he stuck with the jitterbugging lightweight in center.
    Posted by dskjold

As he did with Pedroia and Ortiz

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

He's still a buffoon when it comes to on field strategy. If it were not for the sorry pitching we have been facing, his station-to-station offensive managing style is too safe.
    Francona is not a risk taker, and not agressive whatsoever on offense. He routinely will not test opposing OF arms and seldom plays hit and run.
    Lately, Ellsbury has been getting on base but has failed to attempt a SB. I don't know if that's on Francona or Ells but it's rediculous for him not to be running on the first or second pitch. He ties Pedey's hands when he doesn't run Esllbury.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

He's still a buffoon when it comes to on field strategy. If it were not for the sorry pitching we have been facing, his station-to-station offensive managing style is too safe. Francona is not a risk taker, and not agressive whatsoever on offense. He routinely will not test opposing OF arms and seldom plays hit and run. Lately, Ellsbury has been getting on base but has failed to attempt a SB. I don't know if that's on Francona or Ells but it's rediculous for him not to be running on the first or second pitch. He ties Pedey's hands when he doesn't run Esllbury.
    Posted by Alibiike

How does your preferred managerial style compare to what the FO prefers and what Bill James / Moneyball analysis dictates? Did it ever occur to you that Tito was hired to manage the way that he does?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

He's still a buffoon when it comes to on field strategy. If it were not for the sorry pitching we have been facing, his station-to-station offensive managing style is too safe. Francona is not a risk taker, and not agressive whatsoever on offense. He routinely will not test opposing OF arms and seldom plays hit and run. Lately, Ellsbury has been getting on base but has failed to attempt a SB. I don't know if that's on Francona or Ells but it's rediculous for him not to be running on the first or second pitch. He ties Pedey's hands when he doesn't run Esllbury.
    Posted by Alibiike

And yet the Sox have scored the most runs in baseball and are scoring over 5 runs/game.

Yup, Tito's managing style just ain't working.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Posted by Alibiike

Classic...Simply classic!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Posted by Alibiike

Saying he is a buffoon is what makes your arguement really weak Ike.  Buffoon?  Really?  I have been reading your posts since you have been on here and you are not exactly a baseball PhD.  Kinda silly to call one of the most respected guys in the biz a buffoon.  

No, he is not a risk taker.  But what does testing OFers arms have to do with this.  3rd base coach makes this call.  And, if anything, Bogar is way too adventurous in this regard (for my taste anyway).  

Pretty sure Ellsbury has a green light at all times.  If he hasn't been running of late, I think it is because he has been a little gun shy since he has been thrown out so much this year.  

Hit and run?  He doesn't hit and run because he has a line-up that doesn't need to hit and run.  The-risk-to-reward ratio with this particular play is not as good as the excitement of the play may lead you to believe.  I challenge you to find the A.L. manager, in 2011, who really relies on the hit-and-run.  The use of this play is a novelty pretty much across the board at this point.

In any case, whether you take a contrary view of these particular issues that you brought up or not, they are issues of managerial style/philosophy, not acumen.  Perhaps he IS too conservative.  But, not hitting-and-running is hardly a reason to label him a buffoon.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

So every time Ellsbury gets on he should be running on the first or second pitch?  Nonsense!  You vary everything so you get in no pattern.  What if he doesn't have a good read?  What if the situation dictates letting Pedey do what he does?  I guess if Tito was not a buffoon, the team would have been 11-0 rather than 10-1.  I love how the Sox offense is great UNTIL it doesn't fit the narrative.  Then its the other team's pitching suks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

great rebuttle spaceman my friend. calling tito a buffoon after going 9-1 the last 10 games is totally rediculous.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Posted by Alibiike
    Just to set the record straight, according to all reports and what Francona has said publicly, Ellsbury and Crawford have a constant green light except in specific situations where the Sox will take it off. Is Ells isn't running it is because he feels he hasn't got a great read or can't get enough lead. In fact at on point Francona stated he wanted Crawford to run more.

The not taking risks factor that so many of the detractors here moan about is an organizational philosophy. They believe that their metrics tell them that trading outs for runs actual cost runs, so it should only be done in specific late and close situations. SABRmeticians believe that at a 75% SB success rate that you break even in total runs scored, anything below it cost runs.

That philosophy extends beyond the managers office. It trails up to the GM office and beyond to the managing partner, whose life's work is based on numeric probability.

This club has the best record in the AL at the break, in spite of having had two of its starting pitchers do some serious time on the DL (Buch and Dice K), a third one go there recently (Lester) and another spend time on the DL and being mostly awful in between (Lackey). They have lost a lot of time to three valuable relief pitchers this season (Wheeler, Jenks, Hill). And the OF with the exception of Ellsbury has performed far below expectations.

The manager must be something right?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

If the ump don't toss Kyle and Tito, Yesterday's game would probably have been one in the lost column. There was No Way Tito was Taking the Kid out (hoping to qualify him for a potential win by going the 5 innings), and there was No Way the O's wouldn't have scored at least a couple more off him !! Once again an Umpire bails us out and I thank him for it !! Jim, I hope by now Tito has sent you tickets for at least a few games. It's hard to imagine Tito (with his close to 16 All Stars on the team) is doing a better job, with this team, then just about anybody on the planet could do, including Bill-806. Really Jim, get over that Mancrush you have on Ole Tito !!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Francona and Theo meet with John Henry to discuss second half strategy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

what exactly did Tito do during this stretch besides fill out the lineup card that was responsible for getting the team a win? anyone...anyone...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

In Response to Re: It is Time for the Tito Bashers to Step Forward Again : Just to set the record straight, according to all reports and what Francona has said publicly, Ellsbury and Crawford have a constant green light except in specific situations where the Sox will take it off. Is Ells isn't running it is because he feels he hasn't got a great read or can't get enough lead. In fact at on point Francona stated he wanted Crawford to run more. The not taking risks factor that so many of the detractors here moan about is an organizational philosophy. They believe that their metrics tell them that trading outs for runs actual cost runs, so it should only be done in specific late and close situations. SABRmeticians believe that at a 75% SB success rate that you break even in total runs scored, anything below it cost runs. That philosophy extends beyond the managers office. It trails up to the GM office and beyond to the managing partner, whose life's work is based on numeric probability. This club has the best record in the AL at the break, in spite of having had two of its starting pitchers do some serious time on the DL (Buch and Dice K), a third one go there recently (Lester) and another spend time on the DL and being mostly awful in between (Lackey). They have lost a lot of time to three valuable relief pitchers this season (Wheeler, Jenks, Hill). And the OF with the exception of Ellsbury has performed far below expectations. The manager must be something right?
    Posted by fivekatz

Actually, I would give 100% of the credit to John Henry and Theo for putting enough All stars on the field that even Tito could'nt mess it up, most of the time. I don't blame every Loss on Francona but he certainly has contributed more then his fair share to loss total.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

what exactly did Tito do during this stretch besides fill out the lineup card that was responsible for getting the team a win? anyone...anyone...
    Posted by georom4

I believe two Umpires made a couple of moves, Tossing two Pitchers (Paps & Kyle) when clearly Tito wouldn't have taken them out of the games, even though it was clear to just about everyone watching the game, that wasn't preoccupied with chewing gum and seeds, that they were through. I'm thinking the Sox may have had two more losses if not for those Umps !! And for what it's worth... Didn't Tito kinda leave Lackey in for like 7 runs before yanking him in the only loss in the last 10 ?? Anyway, Who could remember every botched move by Tito ??

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanCap. Show SanCap's posts

Riddle this:

Quick hook in the second inning and Weiland takes a confidence hit.  And management doesn't know if he can limit danmage and pitch deeper.

or

Leave Weiland in since he was in his third straight inning of scoreless pitching.

The damage was done in the second inning, not in the fifth when they were ejected.

SO,

Are you managing for a single game?  Pull him in the second.

or

Are you managing to a longer view - the kid has stuff, and letting him pitch with confidence deeper into the game better prepares him for the next outing?

You can probably guess which side of this argument I'm coming down on.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Posted by georom4

My answer to that is, show me any wins in baseball history that were the direct result of the manager.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Posted by Alibiike

This is based on all your years of experience in the game?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I suppose back in the days of player/managers some guy hit a walkoff homerun as a player/manager.

HFnut... Would this count?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: It is Time for the Tito Bashers to Step Forward Again :  I believe two Umpires made a couple of moves, Tossing two Pitchers (Paps & Kyle) when clearly Tito wouldn't have taken them out of the games, even though it was clear to just about everyone watching the game, that wasn't preoccupied with chewing gum and seeds, that they were through. I'm thinking the Sox may have had two more losses if not for those Umps !! And for what it's worth... Didn't Tito kinda leave Lackey in for like 7 runs before yanking him in the only loss in the last 10 ?? Anyway, Who could remember every botched move by Tito ??
    Posted by ALaGatorAL

Major league managers are leaving their starters in for 7 runs or more all the time.  If you go through the daily box scores you will find examples of this almost every day, usually several examples of it each day.  I think it's hilarious that the Tito bashers don't notice this.  It's like they only watch the Red Sox play and ignore the rest of baseball.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I suppose back in the days of player/managers some guy hit a walkoff homerun as a player/manager. HFnut... Would this count?
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

LOL, Zilla, yes, that I would accept as an example.

Sections
Shortcuts