It seems like only yesterday a team from DC was winning the World Series...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

It seems like only yesterday a team from DC was winning the World Series...

Ah it seems like only yesterday.... back in 1924 the people of Washington DC were celebrating the all too easy to come by World Series championship in our nations capitol. Actually after another appearence in 1933 (the last one) the fans of DC got spoiled and thought trips to the show grew like April blossoms on cherry trees. This must be the reason the Nat's sat Stephen Strasburg ... heck they should be right back in for 2013, 14, 15, and 16. Logic astounding!

I am sure all that tax payer money for the new stadium (the publicly subsidized $600+ million park) was meant for those all too special opening day games in April, that will be the next time you see Strasburg. Ah the arm will be fresh and that all important most crucial April game will be won. Maybe Jason Werth will hit a grand slam.

This is a great day for baseball. All teams should aspire to benching their finest arm during the play-offs in order to save him for a strong April. Don't worry about winning the World Series, it is easy to get there - just ask Ted Williams (if he were alive).

Ah if only they knew how hard it was for the Cards to play inferior baseball all season and somehow still manage to send the Nat's to am early shower in a few quick October days. There was no Goose Goslin or Bucky Harris to save them.... more importantly there was no Strasburg.

Damn wrong, and more important a damn crime.  A crime against baseball and the fans, especially those younger ones who cannot recall the glory days of 1924.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Re: It seems like only yesterday a team from DC was winning the World Series...

I have mixed feelings T about the entire matter....True, people are not as "tough" today as generations past....We have been progressively coddled, and so I see where you are coming from...Then again, I think their decision is largely a business one, without the humanistic coating...As much as the Nats franchise would have benefited from Strasburg's presence in the NLDS, they obviously want to protect their investment...In the "glory days', the superstar pitcher is not making megabucks, so if he wrecks his arm, you go out and get another...If I were a Nats fan, though, I would be apoplectic at this point....Still, they know the fan base will only continue to grow...When I was in Baltimore in July for the Green Party convention, I heard just as much (if not more) about the Nats as the O's, even though both teams have a ton of young players...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

You mean Stephen Strasburg, right?  If I were the owner and dipped that much cash into a very young superstar type pitcher, which dont come along everyday, I wouldve sat him to. More than one doctor suggested it was the best thing as well.

These young men are now investments that most owners/GM's wont risk their health anymore like they did back in the day when after the season they had second jobs because the paycheck was nothing compared to today. They pay them millions of dollars in the hopes of playeing for many years. That, and medicine has come a long way since that time.

The Nats have $$ and will continue to build a championship calibur team who will have more opportunities that will include Strasburg. They have a solid young nucleus with Stasburg, Harper, Zimmerman x2, Gonzalez, Clippard, Storen, etc, with a good mix of vets like Laroche, Werth and Suzuki. I have no doubt they will be in the playoffs for a few years to come.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

You mean Stephen Strasburg, right?  If I were the owner and dipped that much cash into a very young superstar type pitcher, which dont come along everyday, I wouldve sat him to. More than one doctor suggested it was the best thing as well.

These young men are now investments that most owners/GM's wont risk their health anymore like they did back in the day when after the season they had second jobs because the paycheck was nothing compared to today. They pay them millions of dollars in the hopes of playeing for many years. That, and medicine has come a long way since that time.

The Nats have $$ and will continue to build a championship calibur team who will have more opportunities that will include Strasburg. They have a solid young nucleus with Stasburg, Harper, Zimmerman x2, Gonzalez, Clippard, Storen, etc, with a good mix of vets like Laroche, Werth and Suzuki. I have no doubt they will be in the playoffs for a few years to come.

Good post, it's not all or nothing now. This is not an aging team taking it's last shot at a championship, before they have to rebuild. What if Strasburg was hurt by overwork and was never the same caliber pitcher again? People would be howling he should have been shut down. It had to be hard on Strasburg to sit and watch this series and not be able to participate though.

If the Nats closer had done his job, we wouldn't even have this thread.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Can't recall '24, B. Dad was only 7 then. But you make some good points ... Sis lives in DC area and this is funkiest thing since the Brits visited in '12. 1812.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Very disappointing to see neither team from the Washington/Baltimore area advance.  I really wanted the Nationals to win their series against St. Louis.  Actually, the 3 most recent world series winners are all advancing to the next series.  Personally, I would have liked to see someone else win.  I especially wanted the Nationals to advance since St. Louis just won the world series last year. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to MikeNagy's comment:

Good post, it's not all or nothing now. This is not an aging team taking it's last shot at a championship, before they have to rebuild. What if Strasburg was hurt by overwork and was never the same caliber pitcher again? People would be howling he should have been shut down. It had to be hard on Strasburg to sit and watch this series and not be able to participate though.

wow, sitting thier ace in a do or die playoff game...what principle and guts! LOLOLOL
    when this idiotic plan was hatched earlier in the year, many on this board said it was going to bite them on their arrogant azzes....no one player is more imprtant than the team (hear that pedey??/) and if you can play, you must - especially in the postseason...this team hasnt won anything since B.C. and they pull this shiet? If I were a a Nats fan I would never forgive this idiocy...the Cards with Strass pitching wouldve been history by now...oh and if you think the future post season is more imprtant than the present, you are delusional.....the Pats havent won a Superbowl since 2004 and being a Series champ is much harder....you have to seize the chances you get.....shutting down their ace in the postseason????

dumbest

move

ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

wow, sitting thier ace in a do or die playoff game...what principle and guts! LOLOLOL
    when this idiotic plan was hatched earlier in the year, many on this board said it was going to bite them on their arrogant azzes....no one player is more imprtant than the team (hear that pedey??/) and if you can play, you must - especially in the postseason...this team hasnt won anything since B.C. and they pull this shiet? If I were a a Nats fan I would never forgive this idiocy...the Cards with Strass pitching wouldve been history by now...oh and if you think the future post season is more imprtant than the present, you are delusional.....the Pats havent won a Superbowl since 2004 and being a Series champ is much harder....you have to seize the chances you get.....shutting down their ace in the postseason????

dumbest

move

ever

Is something wrong this morning Geo? Ive noticed in your posts that you seem a little, shall we say...unsettled.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

THe problem was, they did it backwards.  They sould have sat him in April and May.

And yes, I said it back then...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to notin's comment:

THe problem was, they did it backwards.  They sould have sat him in April and May.

[/QUOTE

in baseball you cant take any postseason success for granted....saving their ace for a rainy day....unless your nostradamus, not a good move

that makes much more sense but why didnt they just skip him starts once they started him in april....i have got to go on a nats forum and read the fans thoughts....

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

dumbest

move

ever

Would

not

have

made

any

differnce.

He would have either taken Jackson's place or Detwiler's place.

They won Detwiler's game, and he pitched great.  Had he started in place of Detwiler, they lose the game.

They lost Jackson's game 8-0, with the BP giving up 4 runs..  So unless Strasburg pitches a 6-inning shutout, and drives in 5 runs to cover the 4 the BP gave up, they are going to lose.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

yea ok Nostradamus....those same results wouldve happened if Strass were pitching....exactly....Im kind of glad Bilichick didnt sit Tom Brady his rookie season during the playoffs because the avg NFL career is only 4 years....but of course based on your logic we would have won those superbowls with Drew Bledsoe qbing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Stephen, yes I meant Stephen, damn Cambodian water.

I magine telling the taxpayers winning was secondary to business practice.... all thw while they pay $50 a seat to see you surrender because of one pitchers potential fatigue. POTENTIAL. He will pitch 200 innings next year and the team will miss the play-offs by a game

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Were the 1975 Red Sox an aging team? How about the 1946 Red Sox? And when was it again they won?  How about the Rangers? How is that looking for u all?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

yea ok Nostradamus....those same results wouldve happened if Strass were pitching....exactly....Im kind of glad Bilichick didnt sit Tom Brady his rookie season during the playoffs because the avg NFL career is only 4 years....but of course based on your logic we would have won those superbowls with Drew Bledsoe qbing

THANK U

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

dumbest

move

ever

Would

not

have

made

any

differnce.

He would have either taken Jackson's place or Detwiler's place.

They won Detwiler's game, and he pitched great.  Had he started in place of Detwiler, they lose the game.

They lost Jackson's game 8-0, with the BP giving up 4 runs..  So unless Strasburg pitches a 6-inning shutout, and drives in 5 runs to cover the 4 the BP gave up, they are going to lose.

Really smart one? Every pitch pitched, every minute becomes different and produces a different result. The whole timeline is thrown off the second Strasburg throws the 1st pitch. 

Stras throws a ball where the other pitcher had thrown a strike.... get it ???? U put your best out there. Winning is everything in sports.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

BTW re-read the OP and then also recall the glory days of the 1970's.... exactly how many chances are there to win again? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

Ah it seems like only yesterday.... back in 1924 the people of Washington DC were celebrating the all too easy to come by World Series championship in our nations capitol. Actually after another appearence in 1933 (the last one) the fans of DC got spoiled and thought trips to the show grew like April blossoms on cherry trees. This must be the reason the Nat's sat Stephen Strasburg ... heck they should be right back in for 2013, 14, 15, and 16. Logic astounding!

I am sure all that tax payer money for the new stadium (the publicly subsidized $600+ million park) was meant for those all too special opening day games in April, that will be the next time you see Strasburg. Ah the arm will be fresh and that all important most crucial April game will be won. Maybe Jason Werth will hit a grand slam.

This is a great day for baseball. All teams should aspire to benching their finest arm during the play-offs in order to save him for a strong April. Don't worry about winning the World Series, it is easy to get there - just ask Ted Williams (if he were alive).

Ah if only they knew how hard it was for the Cards to play inferior baseball all season and somehow still manage to send the Nat's to am early shower in a few quick October days. There was no Goose Goslin or Bucky Harris to save them.... more importantly there was no Strasburg.

Damn wrong, and more important a damn crime.  A crime against baseball and the fans, especially those younger ones who cannot recall the glory days of 1924.

Im glad to see my digust with the Cardinals is spreading througout RSN like an ill wind and a foul cancer. Soon you will all be infected. The difference is, I wont even pull for them against NYY. I loathe them that much. But if it comes to that, I probably wont watch it at all. Abomination. The Braves of the early 90's that I hated so (and that seemingly have every ball bounce their way except in the WS) have nothing on this Cardinals team when it comes to stupid breaks and good luck. For the second year in a row, they shouldnt even be in the PS, and yet here they are reaking havoc.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Cardinals rank #2 in my most hated MLB TEAMS list. The Mets hold #3... I forget the #1 team at the moment.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Non-sequitar on both counts.

Brady wasn't going to risk his future by throwing more passes.

Brady is not coming off of TJS.

You can't compare a WS game with a SB.  Even if you could, you have the comparison backwards.  Had the Pats lost 62-0 with Bledsoe, the the comparison would be more appropriate.  Then you could say that starting Brady over Bledsoe would not have made any difference.

Perhaps you can explain how starting Strasburg would've won the a game in which they got shut out???

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

What if Stras shut out the Cards? And the game went to extras? Huh Joe, huh? Explain that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Really smart one? Every pitch pitched, every minute becomes different and produces a different result. The whole timeline is thrown off the second Strasburg throws the 1st pitch. 

Stras throws a ball where the other pitcher had thrown a strike.... get it ???? U put your best out there. Winning is everything in sports.

I'm not arguing whether it was the right decision to make.  I'm arguing that the Nats would've lost in the game he started.

You're arguing basically, that by starting Stras, Carpenter would not have pitched a shutout, and that Stras would have.

If that's your argument, then you can make that point about any matchup.  If you arguing an alternate time line, then you can argue that the reason why Oakland lost is that they didn't start Gomes in the last game in which Verlander beat them 6-0.  After all, everything changes.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to notin's comment:

[/QUOTE

in baseball you cant take any postseason success for granted....saving their ace for a rainy day....unless your nostradamus, not a good move

that makes much more sense but why didnt they just skip him starts once they started him in april....i have got to go on a nats forum and read the fans thoughts....

This suggestion hardly involved taking the post-season for granted, and it certainly doesn't take Nostradamus to know that the baseball post-season is in October, which came later than Apirl and May this year.

The idea is simple - if they only wantedto use Strasburg for 160IP, it makes more sense to use him at the end of the year just in case.  And while they did not employ this idea, the actual plan was to use him when one of their starting 5 got injured, as he would be their version of Aaron Cook, only with actual potential.

The Nationals did not start the season with Bryce Harper, either, in case you failed to notice.  The difference is that Harper was not on any kind of AB limit, and his absence allowed offensive voids Rick Ankiel, etc, to get mroe time...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

They seem to be taking the post-season for granted by benching their Ace only weeks before. I hope they miss the play-offs in 2013 and Stras goes 22-6.

Sections
Shortcuts