It seems like only yesterday a team from DC was winning the World Series...

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Re: It seems like only yesterday a team from DC was winning the World Series...

In response to bellhorn_'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Curt Schilling Deadbeat Fraud Clown

[/QUOTE]

Bellhorn, 

What the H--- does Schilling haveto do with this !!

Hetch

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I disagree.  The job of the Naionals is not to produce healthy human beings.  It is to win ballgames and titles.  The only reason to save Strasburg was foa brighter tomorrow, however, tomorrow may never come.  Next March, Nationals will be favored and everyone will love them.  But what if Gio goes down in ST?  Are they are lovable?  What if some injuries pile up? 

They could have kept Strasburg on a limit and had him available.  They really didn't need to strt the season with him, especially if the plan was to go a month without him.  No team uses 5 pitchers for 162 games (although the Reds came close this year, getting 161 starts from their 5-man), so Strasburg could have easily been the first guy in when someone went down.  And if everything worked out, he would have been there for the post-season.  Worst case, they fell so far behind the season was unsavalgeable, and they are whee they are now, but with 100% less criticism and overanalysis.

They made the decision, and it was stupid all around, and now they get to read about it endlessly for 5 months....

[/QUOTE]

Notin, 

You fail to understand as well. Yes titles are important but I'm sorry, to put titles and winning ahead of the health and welfare of the players or employees of the team is more important. Plain and simple. 

It is so easy for you and others on the outside to sit in judgement when you were not there and privy to the discussions between the physicians, Rizzo & his staff. 

Hetch

[/QUOTE]

Player health is more important in some ways, but ideally the Nationals were not "saving" Strasburg because they did not want ot see him hurt.  They were saving him because they felt they could win even more titles after 2012, and that he would be a significant contributor.  And while they might be true, it is also possible he never sees the post-season again.  A lot of pitchers who were much better than Strasburg never played in the post-season (although many of them played when fewer teams made it).  Their return is certainly not the given, and while others have called me out for saying they should have started him in, say, June, just in case there was a post-season, and told me that this plan assumes the post-season was a given, the irony is that that is exactly what Rizzo's plan is doing - assuming future post-seasons are a given.

I said it early on, and I stand by it.  The Nationals would have been smarted to shut Strasburg down in Aopril and May and start his season later.  They knew he would miss some time, either at the beginning of the season o at the end - they chose the end, which is weird because that is where the most important games are played, you know, the post-season.

They held Harper out to start the season.  They had the starter depth.  (Remember Jon Lannan, whom they demoted despite his not even knowing he was competing for a job?)  They chose to start the season with Strasburg, and probably not for the reasons you think.  I would not be surprised if the Nationals were trying to take advantage of the higher attendance figures league-wide that occur every April as an opportunity to market their product and position themselves for a greater revenue stream.  There may have been less baseball in this decision than people realize...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I understand the broad view is not your strength, but you do understand that in the postseason, it is imperative to play your best players to win? Until this idiocy, i have never heard of an organization pulling a healthy, star player from an entire post season for no reason other than fearing injury in the future..

It happens all the time that teams don't overuse their starters.  You just don't understand it when you see it.

Last year, Detroit pitched Verlander every 5th day v TX.  Why not move him up to pitcher every 4th game?  Surely they'd have a better chance v TX had he faced them 3 times rather than twice.

Why didn't Mil move Greinke up?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I understand the broad view is not your strength, but you do understand that in the postseason, it is imperative to play your best players to win? Until this idiocy, i have never heard of an organization pulling a healthy, star player from an entire post season for no reason other than fearing injury in the future..

It happens all the time that teams don't overuse their starters.  You just don't understand it when you see it.

Last year, Detroit pitched Verlander every 5th day v TX.  Why not move him up to pitcher every 4th game?  Surely they'd have a better chance v TX had he faced them 3 times rather than twice.

Why didn't Mil move Greinke up?

[/QUOTE]

youre comparing pitching a guy on 3 days rest with shutting a guy down for the yr in the postseason???

that worked out brilliantly, didnt it Joey? sort of like beckett's 2012 season...what could go wrong?????

the nationals deserve a 90 yr curse like the cubs/sox for this stupidity....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

His arm will be fresh for April.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1386103-washington-nationals-remembering-the-1924-world-series

Not to toot my own horn but the Bleacher Report came out with an article on the last DC WSC title... they must have spied my thread. It ranks as #6 on the all-time best WS in MLB history!

Sections
Shortcuts