It was never as good as it looked, & it's not.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Re: It was never as good as it looked, & it's not.....

In response to softlaw2's comment:

And I think Lackey will be too

I don't think so, and grandmothers who wear combat boots are now wearing "welfare" boots.

Average innings per start means almost nothing. It's the individual game logs. Dumpster has yet to retire a better in the 8th inning, and hasn't retired a batter in the 7th inning in 4 out of 7 starts. He's paid to be a #2 starter, but he's a #2 waste product.

No. They'd be wearing "Social Security" boots. Ya' know ... Social Security? The main reason the Reccesion wasn't another Great Depression. Yeah, You're welcome. Don't mention it. 

Now Dempsters a #2? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

"He's paid to be a #2 starter, but he's a #2 waste product."

- the expert on #2 waste products

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

starting rotation was weak link at end of 2012 and remains the weak link to this day.  debate every aspect of the team you want as long as you want, but starting pitching remains the major malfunction.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to michaelsjr's comment:

starting rotation was weak link at end of 2012 and remains the weak link to this day.  debate every aspect of the team you want as long as you want, but starting pitching remains the major malfunction.

The rotation is comprised of 40% new blood than it was at the end of 2012.  And of the 60% old blood, Lester and Buchholz have thus far shown to be very different pitchers from what they were in 2012.  i am not suggesting the rotation is not without its issues and question marks, but I don't think it sound to a. compare it to the 2012 rotation, or b. consider it a major malfunction, since it is far from malfunctioning thus far.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

All teams go through a slump at some point in the season, even the top teams.

Tigers at one point this year lost 5 of 6.

Rangers lost 4 of 5 before facing the Sox.  

The Braves lost 10 of 14 at one point (3 losses, 2 wins, 4 losses, 2 wins, 3 losses)

The Giants lost 5 straight

Both the Orioles and Cardinals have had a 3-game losing streak, but have not had the 5 of 6 type streak yet.

These are all the top teams in the league and all have had at least 1 3-game losing streak, like the Sox have had.  After the kind of start the Sox have had, I still stick with my pre-season prediction of 85-90 wins.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

as BAD as it looks right now!

These Red Sox will bounce back & go on another run.  It's going to be up & down all season long, but I'm convinced we will compete 'til the end.

On the BRIGHT SIDE!  :) 

BRUINS doing a great job of easing the current RS PAIN!  :)

GO B's !!!!!!!!!!

Question, my friend.  Is it EVER as good as it looks?  Even Cheryl Tiegs was air brushed...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

In response to michaelsjr's comment:

The rotation is comprised of 40% new blood than it was at the end of 2012.  And of the 60% old blood, Lester and Buchholz have thus far shown to be very different pitchers from what they were in 2012.  i am not suggesting the rotation is not without its issues and question marks, but I don't think it sound to a. compare it to the 2012 rotation, or b. consider it a major malfunction, since it is far from malfunctioning thus far.  

Lester and Buch are the only 2 reliable starters of the 60%.  The 40%  is up for debate about what you consider new.  Not here to whine - just saying I think the starting rotation is the weakest link of the 2013 team.  Can't get it done with 2 guys.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Pitching now ranks 8th in ERA in the league. Below average. Not unexpected. We are sinking fast and will probably be at .500 very very soon.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

These Red Sox will bounce back & go on another run.  It's going to be up & down all season long, but I'm convinced we will compete 'til the end.

GO B's !!!!!!!!!!

As bad as it looks right now, its only going to get worse. I agree with Georom: an 81 win season would be nice-and a big improvement over last year. As long as the FO does what it has to do to compete for a ring in a couple of years that is fine with me.

The FO wont. The agenda here is to put a "serviceable" team on the field and maximize profits. They are not going to spend big money on anyone. They are hoping Webster and De LaRosa pitch well and save them money in the future while at Major League Minimum.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

GO B's !!!!!!!!!!

As bad as it looks right now, its only going to get worse. I agree with Georom: an 81 win season would be nice-and a big improvement over last year. As long as the FO does what it has to do to compete for a ring in a couple of years that is fine with me.

The FO wont. The agenda here is to put a "serviceable" team on the field and maximize profits. They are not going to spend big money on anyone. They are hoping Webster and De LaRosa pitch well and save them money in the future while at Major League Minimum.

The team they put on the field this year is "serviceable" if you define serviceable as the potential to play .500 ball. I hope they learned their lesson: you do not get a perennial winner by buying a group of big name FAs for big bucks and many years. You stock and restock and rerestock your minor league system with young guys who have the potential to help the team cheaply and for many years then add a big name FA or two to finish the product when its ready. This year, fortunately, they added no one who is going to cost them a lot of money for a lot of years. I thought the only big mistake they made was giving Victorino three years instead of two. I do not see him helping much in 2015 despite his good start this year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to stapleton's comment:

Sure...sure....they'll work towards winning in a few years...or maybe a few more......meanwhile.....KA--CHING!

Its entirely possible that the best thing that could happen to the team is that they lose so many games in May and June that they are out of it for all intents and purposes by the ASB. Then we would become sellers and we can build our farm system even more-its already pretty good, but it could be better (no 3B, not enough SP). I would love to be able to unload Ellsbury and Salty for some good prospects who can help in 2015. They should have already done that during the offseason. Meanwhile, our pitching is now 8th in ERA and sinking fast. I am expecting us to settle in around 10th this year-better than last year, but not good enough to propel us into the playoffs.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

Who started this happy horse-chit, sunshine & lollipops thread?

Stuff it!  It is as bad as it looks right now!

Piker!

This post has been removed.

• This post has been removed.

• This post has been removed.

LOLOL, You started this thread.  Put down the bottle.

BY PIKEW

Really Pike?

WOW!  

LOL!  You are brilliant ;)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to fizsh's comment:

The Braves lost 10 of 14 at one point (3 losses, 2 wins, 4 losses, 2 wins, 3 losses)

Both the Orioles and Cardinals have had a 3-game losing streak, but have not had the 5 of 6 type streak yet.

These are all the top teams in the league and all have had at least 1 3-game losing streak, like the Sox have had.  After the kind of start the Sox have had, I still stick with my pre-season prediction of 85-90 wins.  

That seems about right.  In a 162 game season, between the streaks and the slumps, some sort of equilibrium will be established.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

In response to fizsh's comment:

That seems about right.  In a 162 game season, between the streaks and the slumps, some sort of equilibrium will be established.

Close. 80-84 is more realistic IMO.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

GO B's !!!!!!!!!!

True, they probably played a little over their heads in April and they're in a slump right now, it happens. Season is a 162 long people shouldn't overact over a slump. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

The team as currently constructed is at best a .500 club. 

I thought we all knew that coming out of spring training.