It was never as good as it looked, & it's not.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

Re: It was never as good as it looked, & it's not.....

In response to softlaw2's comment:

This team is weak in the middle, unless Middlebrooks re-emerges. It's not good defensively, and Lackey and Dumpster at 30 million a year aren't good enough to keep from wearing out the pen.

This team will be lucky to make the playoffs, and has no chance to contend for a title. One or two playoff wins would be a minor miracle.

Pitching, defense and clutch hitting equals a winning team.  Right now our Sox have none of that.  Bring up Iggy to play 3rd.  Play Ross as much as possible.  3rd and catching amount to most of the errors being made.  As for the pitching and clutch hitting nothing can be done there until the pitchers start pitching like they did the 1st of the year, and hitters start getting some clutch hits like they were doing the 1st part of the year.  For a team that had it all to begin the season, they sure have gone downhill fast.  Hope that somehow they can turn it around, but right now it sure looks bleak.   Hello good old .500 and below. 
    FrownCry

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to lucbom's comment:

Pitching, defense and clutch hitting equals a winning team.  Right now our Sox have none of that.  Bring up Iggy to play 3rd.  Play Ross as much as possible.  3rd and catching amount to most of the errors being made.  As for the pitching and clutch hitting nothing can be done there until the pitchers start pitching like they did the 1st of the year, and hitters start getting some clutch hits like they were doing the 1st part of the year.  For a team that had it all to begin the season, they sure have gone downhill fast.  Hope that somehow they can turn it around, but right now it sure looks bleak.   Hello good old .500 and below. 
    FrownCry

some call it the ebb and flows of the baseball season

personally I have no idea what that means ;-)

to me the baseball season is  more like a  RC

to really enjoy the baseball season

one must enjoy pain

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Sox are slipping into a losing mode. Unless they turn it around quickly , it will become a habit. I am sure the players will never admit it publicly , but it has to be something they are thinking about. You cannot play winning baseball if you do not have confidence in yourself and your teammates. If you start pressing , things get worse.  You start seeing the errors , the lack of clutch hitting and the complaining about the umpiring.  Then , the crowds will dwindle, the complaining will increase, the losses will pile up , the fans will whine and the " clubhouse chemistry " will be tested.  It is not good enough to say that it is early in the season. The Sox need to turn this around soon or the losing will come to be expected and accepted.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to michaelsjr's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

In response to michaelsjr's comment:

starting rotation was weak link at end of 2012 and remains the weak link to this day.  debate every aspect of the team you want as long as you want, but starting pitching remains the major malfunction.

The rotation is comprised of 40% new blood than it was at the end of 2012.  And of the 60% old blood, Lester and Buchholz have thus far shown to be very different pitchers from what they were in 2012.  i am not suggesting the rotation is not without its issues and question marks, but I don't think it sound to a. compare it to the 2012 rotation, or b. consider it a major malfunction, since it is far from malfunctioning thus far.  

Lester and Buch are the only 2 reliable starters of the 60%.  The 40%  is up for debate about what you consider new.  Not here to whine - just saying I think the starting rotation is the weakest link of the 2013 team.  Can't get it done with 2 guys.

Dempster has been money and Lackey solid.  I don't think you can get it done with two either.  But I count four solid starters right now.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

In response to lucbom's comment:

FrownCry

some call it the ebb and flows of the baseball season

personally I have no idea what that means ;-)

to me the baseball season is  more like a  RC

to really enjoy the baseball season

one must enjoy pain

LOL!!!!!
    LaughingSmile

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Sox are slipping into a losing mode. Unless they turn it around quickly , it will become a habit. I am sure the players will never admit it publicly , but it has to be something they are thinking about. You cannot play winning baseball if you do not have confidence in yourself and your teammates. If you start pressing , things get worse.  You start seeing the errors , the lack of clutch hitting and the complaining about the umpiring.  Then , the crowds will dwindle, the complaining will increase, the losses will pile up , the fans will whine and the " clubhouse chemistry " will be tested.  It is not good enough to say that it is early in the season. The Sox need to turn this around soon or the losing will come to be expected and accepted.

Last night's game turned around on a single close play at the plate where the call could have gone the other way. Games get decided by inches, bad luck, and good breaks / bad breaks.  The players are still hustling, have a good attitude, and have the same desire that they had in April. No need to over-analyze each game in respect to team chemistry, attitude, and "losing mode". It is what it is.  Play hard, if you lose, forget it and go out and play hard again the next day.

I agree , but I think that " losing mode " is a real thing. Just as a team can get on a roll with winning , it can happen in reverse. Things can spiral out of control before you know it.  I think they need to avoid having this turn into a long losing streak. The upcoming schedule is challenging.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Last night's game turned around on a single close play at the plate where the call could have gone the other way. Games get decided by inches, bad luck, and good breaks / bad breaks.  The players are still hustling, have a good attitude, and have the same desire that they had in April. No need to over-analyze each game in respect to team chemistry, attitude, and "losing mode". It is what it is.  Play hard, if you lose, forget it and go out and play hard again the next day.

I agree , but I think that " losing mode " is a real thing. Just as a team can get on a roll with winning , it can happen in reverse. Things can spiral out of control before you know it.  I think they need to avoid having this turn into a long losing streak. The upcoming schedule is challenging.

I think that happens with a month's worth of losing, like the Jays have done, not a week.

There are very few teams, no matter how good, that don't have losing streaks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

I think that happens with a month's worth of losing, like the Jays have done, not a week.

I would venture to say "none".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

I would venture to say "none".

If that is all it is , then we will soon snap out of it.  That is the hope. My point is that they need to snap out of it soon , or it will become an ongoing problem. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to AL34's comment:

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

as BAD as it looks right now!

These Red Sox will bounce back & go on another run.  It's going to be up & down all season long, but I'm convinced we will compete 'til the end.

On the BRIGHT SIDE!  :) 

BRUINS doing a great job of easing the current RS PAIN!  :)

GO B's !!!!!!!!!!

As bad as it looks right now, its only going to get worse. I agree with Georom: an 81 win season would be nice-and a big improvement over last year. As long as the FO does what it has to do to compete for a ring in a couple of years that is fine with me.

The FO wont. The agenda here is to put a "serviceable" team on the field and maximize profits. They are not going to spend big money on anyone. They are hoping Webster and De LaRosa pitch well and save them money in the future while at Major League Minimum.

The team they put on the field this year is "serviceable" if you define serviceable as the potential to play .500 ball. I hope they learned their lesson: you do not get a perennial winner by buying a group of big name FAs for big bucks and many years. You stock and restock and rerestock your minor league system with young guys who have the potential to help the team cheaply and for many years then add a big name FA or two to finish the product when its ready. This year, fortunately, they added no one who is going to cost them a lot of money for a lot of years. I thought the only big mistake they made was giving Victorino three years instead of two. I do not see him helping much in 2015 despite his good start this year.

You neglect to mention that they are the most expensive ticket in baseball and charging those prices for mediocrity. Its not like they rolled prices back in the ticket department. This team Is crashing back to earth.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

These Red Sox will bounce back & go on another run.  It's going to be up & down all season long, but I'm convinced we will compete 'til the end.

GO B's !!!!!!!!!!

As bad as it looks right now, its only going to get worse. I agree with Georom: an 81 win season would be nice-and a big improvement over last year. As long as the FO does what it has to do to compete for a ring in a couple of years that is fine with me.

The FO wont. The agenda here is to put a "serviceable" team on the field and maximize profits. They are not going to spend big money on anyone. They are hoping Webster and De LaRosa pitch well and save them money in the future while at Major League Minimum.

The team they put on the field this year is "serviceable" if you define serviceable as the potential to play .500 ball. I hope they learned their lesson: you do not get a perennial winner by buying a group of big name FAs for big bucks and many years. You stock and restock and rerestock your minor league system with young guys who have the potential to help the team cheaply and for many years then add a big name FA or two to finish the product when its ready. This year, fortunately, they added no one who is going to cost them a lot of money for a lot of years. I thought the only big mistake they made was giving Victorino three years instead of two. I do not see him helping much in 2015 despite his good start this year.

You neglect to mention that they are the most expensive ticket in baseball and charging those prices for mediocrity.

Mediocrity is your opinion, and thats cool. Only at the end of the season will we know if they are truly a mediocre (.500) team. If you dont like the prices, dont buy a ticket and enjoy the game in front of a nice big screen on a comfortable chair or couch like I do 95% of the time.

By the way, when I do decide to see a game live I usually go to ace and get tix for $15 and just move closer. Never ever had an issue with that unless its a NYY game. Already did it once this year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

GO B's !!!!!!!!!!

You neglect to mention that they are the most expensive ticket in baseball and charging those prices for mediocrity. Its not like they rolled prices back in the ticket department. This team Is crashing back to earth.

That is true, and that is why the fans are voting with their feet and staying away from games in droves.

16. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts