It went wrong with Theo signings lets be honest

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

It went wrong with Theo signings lets be honest

In light of what is starting to trickle out, I believe it obvious as to what went wrong! Team Chemistry and jealousy. One has to be honest here, Lackey and his antics have to have irritated his team mates beyond belief. His huge contract and poor performance had to irritate even more those who came through the system and and outperformed him for much less money. Lets face it how many of us at our own jobs see clowns making more than we do and we out perform them day in and day out and we get just as irritated.
    There also has to be some irritation over the Crawford signing at way to many dollars, while some folks that came through the system took the home town pay cut out of loyalty. Again we all hate those overpaid under performers we work with.
    There is certainly a chemistry problem with this team and I believe it starts with the two outrageous contracts to the players above!
    It will be an interesting off season!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Re: It went wrong with Theo signings lets be honest

No leadership in the clubhouse.  Should have kept Victor. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

I agree 100%. But the blame can't be pinned all on Theo, because ownership I strongly beleive wanted to make a splash (or two) in free agency/trade markets to get NESN viewership up; the cable television contract generates incredible incremental cash flow to the business. Theo made his biggest free agent mistakes with Crawfard and Lackey, but the Crawford deal I think came at least partly from ownership wanting to make the big signing. Henry did the same thing at Liverpool as soon as he got ownership, signing Andy Carol for a record transfer fee, even though he is young and not yet a proven star.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

THEO SHOULD BE FIRED TODAY. BIGGEST COLLAPSE OF ALL TIME

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

This is the number one reason this team failed so miserably this year.  Theo even admitted it in the press conference yesterday. His horrible signings this year destroyed team performance and with it chemistry.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

In Response to Re: It went wrong with Theo signings lets be honest:
    No leadership in the clubhouse.  Should have kept Victor. 
    Posted by cpjohn1

I agree that there was no leadership at all on the team this season. The disturbing thing is that I am not sure that there is anyone currently on the roster who is capable of stepping up and being that leader for the 2012 season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmo14. Show cosmo14's posts

JD Drew
    Arroyo for Wily Mo Peña
    Renteria
    Lugo
    Coco Crisp
    Clement
    Return of Mirabelli
    Gagne
    Lackey
    Crawford

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

I just came on here to express my support fot Tito. Good thing Theo doesn't have any repercussions for HIS mistakes or he'ld have been loooooooooong gone and hard to find.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The problem is Lackey and Theo's pitching staff.  lackey was terrible and Theo didn't have enough starting pitching in the organization.  The health of the starting pitching for the Red Sox has been a problem for a while - and they still do not have bodies that can step in when a starter inevitably goes on the DL. 

It happens every season. 

If the same problem occur every season, then the problem is with how they are putting the team together.  If you don't have enough pitching in 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011, then it's on the GM.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I thought Varitek was the Captain? Is that not the automatic leader?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

promise4you it might be easier to ask what went right with Theo FA singings as the list would be shorter.

AGon should be the centerpiece for many years to come, but that was not a FA move... Actually I just stunned myself and realized the only one on the team that was brought in from the FA market and has been a modest success is Scutaro.  

Is that not it?  Otherwise we have homegrown players and some from trades that have been good.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffory. Show jeffory's posts

Tito once again lost confidence in the bullpen and ran three arms into the ground. Lackey is an attitude problem, Bucholz was a problem, and Aviles was terrible. I'd give Crawford one more year. Tampa wins with far less because Madden plays everyone and gets the enthusiasm. The Red Sox need to get rid of the cancer in the club house at any cost otherwise it will only get worse. This was a bad team in the last two months!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

Without a doubt there was NO leadership on this team.  But to me that starts at the very top. The Yankee ownership historically doesn't just spend big bucks on who they sign in the off season, and think that is all that is needed to be winners. They make it clear anything less then winning a WS is always considered failed season. Also I am sure the Wild Card route to the post season every year must be viewed as being unacceptable.

When the time comes each season to make sure the players stay focused on the goal. The Boss himself would make sure they heard that from him.

OK maybe that is not the style our ownership is comfortable with, but they need to do far more then just count the money flooding in each day. 

THe very attitude that winning the wild card to get to the post season needs to become unaccetable to EVERY one. From the owners to us fans!!   We ALL must demand better!!!!! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Seriously guys, answer this: Name all the FA signings on the 2011 team that really have been a big factor (positve factor):

Scutaro - C+
    Lackey - F
    Crawford - D-
    Drew - D
    Jenks - F

who else?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

I thought Varitek was the Captain? Is that not the automatic leader?
    Posted by BurritoT

In theory yes, in reality no. Having a letter "C" on your jersey does not automatically make you a leader. Either Varitek chose not to lead or his teamates had no respect for him as a leader. Obviously being "Captain" means nothing (at least not in this case).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

He is the only one in the MLB with a "C" on his jersey. There was a big to do about it when they stitched it on, he must have been the leader once upon a time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3992292. Show user_3992292's posts

To be honest with you, more I have read about the Red Sox's organization, these Theo's decisions on signing Crawford and Lackey were not mainly Theo's decision.  It was John Henry's decisions.  He is the one pressured Theo to get these guys to prevent them to go to the Yankees.  Theo was right for the whole time telling Henry that it is not worth to sign them, but Henry said, get them!!!

I think it is upper management of this organization that are not getting along between Henry and Theo/Larry L.  

So I now strongly think that is why I am seeing it is possible that Theo and Terry walking out of the door to join a different club cuz of John Henry.  That is why we kept hearing a rumor about Theo is possible joining the Cubs.

Either John Henry need to leave these upper management alone or sell the club!! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

He is the only one in the MLB with a "C" on his jersey. There was a big to do about it when they stitched it on, he must have been the leader once upon a time.
    Posted by BurritoT

Perhaps many years ago.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbeach48. Show dbeach48's posts

epstein is quite overrated and that is an understatement

not much will change unless epstein is gone too. 
    no playoff victories since 2008

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

epstein is quite overrated and that is an understatement not much will change unless epstein is gone too.  no playoff victories since 2008
    Posted by dbeach48

Can't argue with that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Which ones?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

epstein is quite overrated and that is an understatement not much will change unless epstein is gone too.  no playoff victories since 2008
    Posted by dbeach48

You are correct about Epstein. But there will also need to be a major house cleaning as far as the players. This team needs less high salaried, under performing players and more players who actually care about winning. The Sox need to add some players who will actually run full speed to 1st base on ground balls. Some players who don't whine about the bus rides to the stadium or about how tired they are from so many night games on national tv. Maybe it is time to bite the bullet and commit to some of the young talent in the farm system. These players are hungry and will actually come to play every day. Perhaps then the Sox will do better than 3rd place in the AL East.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RiceintheHall. Show RiceintheHall's posts

Getting rid of the cast of characters that everyone loved, Damon, Millar, Mueller, Manny, Schill, Petey was the start of the end .  It was fun to watch the idiots play and it was funner to hear them speak and get wind of clubhouse stories.   Theo and Henry(maybe Henry more than anyone) couldn't stand the beards, long hair, baggy pants, and set out to get a bunch of JD Drew clones.  Those idiots were fun, but they were also tough as nails and thats why they won.   This team other than Pedrioa, Papelbon and Youk is a bunch of heartless softies.   I knows Paps blew the last game, but he's still got guts in my book.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

promise4you it might be easier to ask what went right with Theo FA singings as the list would be shorter. AGon should be the centerpiece for many years to come, but that was not a FA move... Actually I just stunned myself and realized the only one on the team that was brought in from the FA market and has been a modest success is Scutaro.   Is that not it?  Otherwise we have homegrown players and some from trades that have been good.
    Posted by BurritoT

Burrito, was not ignoring you, have been on planes all day. Maybe you are correct, other than Scoot and Agon who is there? Im not trashing the FO thats not my way, but honesty has to come through at this point. When I make a mistake at work, I take the fall, not my guys! Time for Theo to take the fall. Ive never been a Tito Guy, but hey he has won 2 WS. what can you say? Time to eat those salaries (at least Lackey's) and move on. I remember Fenway when it was empty every night, sure hope it does not go that way again.

Sections
Shortcuts