It's 17 degrees outside, but colder hearts reside among us...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

It's 17 degrees outside, but colder hearts reside among us...

I have been away for a while.  Necessity requires.

But upon returning, there is the same cold hearted meandering through the season past that is common place here.

A simple inquiry...

Don't we ever tire of finding fault or seeking a scape goat?

Is there ever a place to share appreciation?

Apologies, that's two inquiries ....

Ok, I'll blame Ben for not doing enough splashy stuff to get our minds off the past....
        Even though making a couple of huge splashes last off season didn't really turn anyone's attitude around.  All one could find then was fault, too ...

The more things change ... the more they stay the same.

Theo and Tito brought 8 great years and 2 World Series crowns .... whine, whine, whine ... about what they DIDN'T accomplish.

Lucky and Tom bring in Adrian and Carl, and sure enough, ...whine whien whine.  They didn't play good enough to suit ...

Theo and Tito are gone ... Ben and Bobby begin ... and not enough done ... already.

But so what?  Even if they DO win it all, some will find a way to complain ... we didn't win it by enough.  We already had a championship team, so why give B & B credit?  We had a lousy season by one or two of our stars ....

When is there going to be a word of appreciation from the ones who always bite the hand that pleases them?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: It's 17 degrees outside, but colder hearts reside among us...

AS DAD WOULD SAY ......... "SON, WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR, HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL" !!!!!!!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Forbes Magazine:

Only three teams had a negative operating income in 2010: the Detroit Tigers (-$29 million), Mets (-$6 million) and Boston Red Sox (-$1 million), which collectively spent $475 million on players (including benefits and bonuses).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

There is no excuse for being out of shape or babying yourself with a nagging injury. We admire the dirt dog mentality. Our heroes are the Birds/Pedroia/Schilling/Brady type athletes we have seen over the years. 

Nothing personal, but this is when I know people are just whining.

There is no excuse for being out of shape.
    Our hero is Curt Schilling.

If you didn't see the inconsistency in that, while you were writing it, it was because you weren't thinking as you were writing.  It wasn't a lesson in objectivity.

But back to what Yaz was saying-someone asked this back in 2004.  What would become of RS fans?  Where this was once a hobby, where once we just went to games and hoped for the best, now some of us are spoiled.

Where once upon a time, fans rejoiced if we spent so much that we were second in payroll, now they lament that we are not first in payroll.

Where once upon a time, not so very long ago, we made the playoffs 9 times in 85 years, making it to the playoffs 6 times in 9 years is not enough.

From 1987-2002, we won 5 playoff games.
    From 2003-2011, we won 34 playoff games.

I wonder what our ancestors would think about all this.  All of those that spent an entire lifetime, never having seen a flag fly over Fenway, to see some of the fans complaing that we've only won 2 WSC in the past 8 years?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Sounds like 2004Idiots just read the Nick Cafardo column of this morning.

Nick says, How many teams’ revenues are $300 million over their payroll?’’
    He implies that the Red Sox qualify for that distinction. He is wrong.
    Red Sox Revenues in 2010 were $272 mil. and their payroll was $163 mil. The difference is $109 mil. - not over $300 mil.

In 2010 The Yankee revenues were $427 mi. while their payroll was $206 mil. Difference was $221 mil.

Nick needs to do more research to back up his opinions.

Should we trust his statistics on the Liverpool player acquisitions?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

I go back to the Pete Runnels, Gary Geiger Sox, so I know what last place feels like, when not losing a 100 games was a moral victory. Having said that last Sept. collaspe was dis-heartning to say the least. Moving forward removing Tito for Bobby V. is a positive step. When I look at current roster their seems just gapping holes in pitching staff. They need basically a whole new pen, especially if Bard starts, or if he doesn't need at least two SP. I live and die with Sox I gladly invest time and money on team, and in doing so I reserve the right to criticize when needed. IMO the Sox of '12 at this point in time seem to be content to make play-offs they are not truly championship driven, and if that assesment brands me as having a cold heart, so be it.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

In Response to Re: It's 17 degrees outside, but colder hearts reside among us...:
    [QUOTE]Sox fans deserve better. Forget about "wait until next year". Spend the money and get a solid right fielder/closer and starter.
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

Last year this board awarded the Sox the WS trophy before the season even began.  Posters on this board were spewing comments about how the Sox starters were better than even the Phillie starters.  The Yanks were a 3rd place team with no pitching laughed everyone on this board.  TB was pathetically over-hyped and would fight over 3rd place with the EE.  Maybe now that this board is worried about where the Sox will finish...they will have a chance to win it all.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Was the 2004 team considered to be of "championship" calibre coming out of the gate in April, 2004? How about 2003? Was it a given in April of 1986 that we would be in the World Series? What's up with this demanding that we be a championship team before the season even starts? It reeks of an entitlement complex. It was an attitude that we criticized Yankee fans for having five years ago. How soon the old fanbase became rotten spoiled. When we won it all in 2004 and 2007, the rejoicing was short-lived and the whiners were back here in full force two weeks later. Are these real fans?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: It's 17 degrees outside, but colder hearts reside among us...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: It's 17 degrees outside, but colder hearts reside among us... : Last year this board awarded the Sox the WS trophy before the season even began.  Posters on this board were spewing comments about how the Sox starters were better than even the Phillie starters.  The Yanks were a 3rd place team with no pitching laughed everyone on this board.  TB was pathetically over-hyped and would fight over 3rd place with the EE.  Maybe now that this board is worried about where the Sox will finish...they will have a chance to win it all.
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

I agree.  The fans are always way over-reacting.  Last year at this time, we had not shot.  Then we got CC and Gonzo, and no one else had any shot.  Then we started off slowly and we had no shot.  Then we crushed the opposition for 4 months, and no one else had any shot.  Now we have no shot.

I'm think we should allow the off-season to get a little further than 25% into it before we can determine what type of team we'll have.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

attic.....what about Jackie Jensen..or Don Buddin...Norm Zauchin....LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Back in the days of Norm Zauchin. Jackie Jensen, and Don Buddin ( I remember ithem well), don't any of you blame the lack of success on  Tom Yawkey ( racial bigot), terrible FO, and the Yankee farm team ( Kansas City) and the racist managers that permeated the Red Sox system? Why are such things left out of forum discussion? They are history but why bash the players of those days. Ted Williams would have ten WS rings if not for the racial bigotry of Tom Yawkey and Pinky Higgins.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to Re: It's 17 degrees outside, but colder hearts reside among us...:
    [QUOTE]attic.....what about Jackie Jensen..or Don Buddin...Norm Zauchin....LOL
    Posted by ampoule[/QUOTE]

Playing after Buddin made Eddie Bressoud look like a gold glover by comparison. Jackie Jensen retired because he was afraid of flying, he had a nice Fenway stoke, led the league in RBI one year hitting behind Williams.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Welcome back Yaz. I thoroughly enjoy your posts. I wish you a great holiday season. I felt like the character in the movie Groundhog Day from the time I started following the Sox in the 60s to 2003. At the end of every season I heard the cry," wait until next year." Along the way there were some thrills like '67. And many disappointments. Maybe Shaugnessy was right; they were cursed. But the 2004 idiots brought us something we never experienced before-a World Championship. Young and old celebrated. Tito and Theo were heroes. Who would have thought at the time that they would be criticized years later. But 2004 and 2007 are great memories. You see the region is made up of one of the most knowledgeable, intelligent baseball fans in the country. We rightfully see the owners as a trustee of a valuable treasure. Sure legally they own the team, but we feel that as our birthright, this team belongs to us. So yes we expect 100% effort on the part of the players and management every year. There is no excuse for being out of shape or babying yourself with a nagging injury. We admire the dirt dog mentality. Our heroes are the Bird/Pedroia/Schilling/Brady type athletes we have seen over the years. And we don't want to hear that ownership can't spend this winter because of the luxury tax. Heck, they spent $175 million in player acquisitions for their Liverpool soccer club. In fact the team's revenues are millions over their payroll. This isn't a small market team. We expect excellence; nothing less each season.
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

Idiot,

A quick response ... first thanks and the very best of holy days to you too. :o)

Your point about the public trust is almost poetic.  We do tend to think of the Sox as ours, no matter who the owners may happen to be.

We do also appreciate the dirt dogs, but often throw the injured to the dogs by claiming they are loafing ... ala Ells last season (the season of running into Beltre and the broken ribs).  Unfortunate. 

"Next year" was indeed the call ... even when we were out of the race by mid August.  As Bill says, hope springs eternal.  At least in a young heart ... after all, in school we are taught "next year" is always there and a challenge.  Sox fans went to school a long time before they graduated.   :o)

Finally, I again repeat myself, that I am not saying all criticism is unfounded.  I refrained from it since so many were expert in it.  But I also am glad we had those break through years and am terribly thankful for them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]There is no excuse for being out of shape or babying yourself with a nagging injury. We admire the dirt dog mentality. Our heroes are the Birds/Pedroia/Schilling/Brady type athletes we have seen over the years.   Nothing personal, but this is when I know people are just whining. There is no excuse for being out of shape. Our hero is Curt Schilling. (Too funny!  But I do realize what Id04 meant - Curt gave it all, bloody sock and all) If you didn't see the inconsistency in that, while you were writing it, it was because you weren't thinking as you were writing.  It wasn't a lesson in objectivity. But back to what Yaz was saying-someone asked this back in 2004.  What would become of RS fans?  Where this was once a hobby, where once we just went to games and hoped for the best, now some of us are spoiled. Where once upon a time, fans rejoiced if we spent so much that we were second in payroll, now they lament that we are not first in payroll. Where once upon a time, not so very long ago, we made the playoffs 9 times in 85 years, making it to the playoffs 6 times in 9 years is not enough. From 1987-2002, we won 5 playoff games. From 2003-2011, we won 34 playoff games. I wonder what our ancestors would think about all this.  All of those that spent an entire lifetime, never having seen a flag fly over Fenway, to see some of the fans complaing that we've only won 2 WSC in the past 8 years?
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Joe,

An outstanding post.  Exactly the depth of the matter I am speaking about.  Individual seasons certainly have their disappointments ... but the issue as a whole since 2003 is remarkably rich with success.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]   I go back to the Pete Runnels, Gary Geiger Sox, so I know what last place feels like, when not losing a 100 games was a moral victory. Having said that last Sept. collaspe was dis-heartning to say the least. Moving forward removing Tito for Bobby V. is a positive step. When I look at current roster their seems just gapping holes in pitching staff. They need basically a whole new pen, especially if Bard starts, or if he doesn't need at least two SP. I live and die with Sox I gladly invest time and money on team, and in doing so I reserve the right to criticize when needed. IMO the Sox of '12 at this point in time seem to be content to make play-offs they are not truly championship driven, and if that assesment brands me as having a cold heart, so be it.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

Dan,

Not a bit cold hearted.  When I speak in these broad terms, it can't help but paint some in ways not intended.  I see no problem with assessment of the situation.  What I find hard to stomach is the hard core negativism.  Your perspective from the old days gives a solid view of recent occurrences.  The colapse WAS terrible.  When we balance it with the srcuffy little etough group from the season before that got the most out of their oft injured, oft replaced by minor leaguers of all shades, it is even more of a shame.  I completely understand the feeling of open devastation.  I felt it myself.   I was sure we would wake up from this terrible nightmare and resume being the Red Sox that played the MLB best after it's 2-10 start ...

I pause now ... even end... I am sleepy to the point I may be senseless ....more so than usual ...

Enjoy THIS season, Dan ...

Oh, yes, pitching is again a sink hole.  If Clay cannot resume his spot and Jon doesn't return to form, it is even more of a problem.

Off to the 2nd job ...