It's a 2 yr bridge, not 1 like people think. Signing Greinke and Hamilton now is not the same as signing Agon and Crawford....here is why

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I read where people are comparing signing Greinke and Hamilton to the signings of Crawford and Agon. It's not...when we signed those 2 guys we had an already high payroll with a lot of vet long term contracts, and very little in cheap farm talant on the horizon. We have a really deep and talented farm but it is not, as people say, a yr away. More like 2 or 3 yrs away before they can step in and make an impact. And I believe they will, but not untill at least 2014... Or more likely 2015. We should sign Greinke and Hamilton for 5 yrs apiece to give a shot to compete for a title while we still have Lester, Papi, Pedey, Buch, Ells etc...at the end of 2014 we will free up a ton of payroll. Papi, Lester, Ells, Lackey, Ross, Gomes will all be gone....that' s 60/65 mil being replaced by Boggy, Barnes, Bradley, etc....nice cheap studs. In 2015 Greinke and Hamilton will prob not be worth what we will be paying them, but we should have a ton of really cheap impact players that will off set their costs. This time is not the same as a few yrs back when Theo mis managed the teams payroll. He had no choice, there was no cheap talant on the horizon. We can win now....and for and be very competitive in the future if we sign these 2, do it Ben.....don't listen too the pundits

[/QUOTE]

Now that Napoli is in Boston and the possibilty that he may sign a 4 year deal. I am not a big fan to have Napoli in Boston, but he will be a better low risk then Hamilton. Napoli will not be our FT catcher but he can play that role if need be. Signing Napoli to 4 year deal is an advatage because;

(1) Keep Ross as our FT catcher better defensive catcher

(2) This gives the option to trade Salty for good consistent reliever or put Salty in a package deal to get Justin Upton to Boston. Why Upton is my thought is he can generate aprox. 100 runs along with Ellsbury will create more runs for the Sox. If Ells can rebound from unfortunate injuries will be OK in my books.

(3) The top of the order will be a good line up Ells Ped Upton Napoli Papi

(4) signing Napoli over Hamilton will kill 2 birds with one stone catching and 1B and we can still see the young players develop at a better pace

(5) signing Napoli to 4 year deal advantage is when papi's contract expires Napoli can take the DH reigns and hopefully in 2 years time Lavarnway will be better and more mature catcher

The Sox batting order and depth would be much stronger with napoli and Upton:

LF Gomes and Nava

CF Ells and Sweeney

RF Upton Kalish and Sands

3B Middlebrooks and Ciriaco

SS Isglesias and sign a veteran SS who will sign one year deal and play back up role

2B Ped and Ciriaco

1B Napoli and Sands and sign Berkman to one year deal for back up and pinch hiiting

C Ross and Lavarnway with Napoli

The batting order will be above avg. :

Ells Ped Upton Napoli Papi Middlebrooks Gomes Ross and Isglesias

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

I read where people are comparing signing Greinke and Hamilton to the signings of Crawford and Agon. It's not...when we signed those 2 guys we had an already high payroll with a lot of vet long term contracts, and very little in cheap farm talant on the horizon. We have a really deep and talented farm but it is not, as people say, a yr away. More like 2 or 3 yrs away before they can step in and make an impact. And I believe they will, but not untill at least 2014... Or more likely 2015. We should sign Greinke and Hamilton for 5 yrs apiece to give a shot to compete for a title while we still have Lester, Papi, Pedey, Buch, Ells etc...at the end of 2014 we will free up a ton of payroll. Papi, Lester, Ells, Lackey, Ross, Gomes will all be gone....that' s 60/65 mil being replaced by Boggy, Barnes, Bradley, etc....nice cheap studs. In 2015 Greinke and Hamilton will prob not be worth what we will be paying them, but we should have a ton of really cheap impact players that will off set their costs. This time is not the same as a few yrs back when Theo mis managed the teams payroll. He had no choice, there was no cheap talant on the horizon. We can win now....and for and be very competitive in the future if we sign these 2, do it Ben.....don't listen too the pundits

[/QUOTE]

Now that Napoli is in Boston and the possibilty that he may sign a 4 year deal. I am not a big fan to have Napoli in Boston, but he will be a better low risk then Hamilton. Napoli will not be our FT catcher but he can play that role if need be. Signing Napoli to 4 year deal is an advatage because;

(1) Keep Ross as our FT catcher better defensive catcher

(2) This gives the option to trade Salty for good consistent reliever or put Salty in a package deal to get Justin Upton to Boston. Why Upton is my thought is he can generate aprox. 100 runs along with Ellsbury will create more runs for the Sox. If Ells can rebound from unfortunate injuries will be OK in my books.

(3) The top of the order will be a good line up Ells Ped Upton Napoli Papi

(4) signing Napoli over Hamilton will kill 2 birds with one stone catching and 1B and we can still see the young players develop at a better pace

(5) signing Napoli to 4 year deal advantage is when papi's contract expires Napoli can take the DH reigns and hopefully in 2 years time Lavarnway will be better and more mature catcher

The Sox batting order and depth would be much stronger with napoli and Upton:

LF Gomes and Nava

CF Ells and Sweeney

RF Upton Kalish and Sands

3B Middlebrooks and Ciriaco

SS Isglesias and sign a veteran SS who will sign one year deal and play back up role

2B Ped and Ciriaco

1B Napoli and Sands and sign Berkman to one year deal for back up and pinch hiiting

C Ross and Lavarnway with Napoli

The batting order will be above avg. :

Ells Ped Upton Napoli Papi Middlebrooks Gomes Ross and Isglesias

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

hi

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I dont like Grienke in Boston, at all. Hamilton would be nice on a 3-4 year deal.

[/QUOTE]

Of course there are risks....but we need a 1/2 guy, not another 3/4 pitcher. He is the only top pitcher out there. Forget Sanchez, Marckum, and all the rest...not even close to Greinke as a pitcher. 

[/QUOTE]

It might be worthing noting that both Sanchez and Marcum have better ERAs over the past 3 season.  And better ERA+.  Did you know that Greinke was #50 in ERA over the past 3 seasons?

[/QUOTE]

I like how you chose 3 yrs as your measuring stick. Let's do 4 yrs....or 5 yrs. how many times has marcum or Sanchez gone 200 innings in that time also? Why don' t we ask the 32 gms who they would take....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Agree w/ most don't want to see Greinke trying to pitch in Boston Market. If Hamilton fell to us on our terms [4yrs-100mil] by all means this lineup could use the thump, even if a little to lefty. Makes Napoli more attractive.

As for the 2yrs before the talent arrives not necessarily the truth. Could see Bradley in Boston next yr [summer]. De La Rosa will be in Boston as will Kalish [who I still see as a prospect due to injuries] and Iggy will get every chance to be opening day starter. The best of farm system Boegarts/Barnes/Webster/Swihart/Owens/Cecchini are 2014 at the earliest. Maybe Boegarts/ Barnes or Webster can get a Sept call up depending on how their season goes. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Agree w/ most don't want to see Greinke trying to pitch in Boston Market. If Hamilton fell to us on our terms [4yrs-100mil] by all means this lineup could use the thump, even if a little to lefty. Makes Napoli more attractive.

As for the 2yrs before the talent arrives not necessarily the truth. Could see Bradley in Boston next yr [summer]. De La Rosa will be in Boston as will Kalish [who I still see as a prospect due to injuries] and Iggy will get every chance to be opening day starter. The best of farm system Boegarts/Barnes/Webster/Swihart/Owens/Cecchini are 2014 at the earliest. Maybe Boegarts/ Barnes or Webster can get a Sept call up depending on how their season goes. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It might be worthing noting that both Sanchez and Marcum have better ERAs over the past 3 season.  And better ERA+.  Did you know that Greinke was #50 in ERA over the past 3 seasons?

does this mean you think they will all get similar contracts JB ?

[/QUOTE]

Not at all.  Marcum might have an injury issue.  Sanchez is a good #2.  He's been extremely consistent with an ERA of 3.55-3.87 over the past four seasons, with 195-196 IPs over the past three.  He also showed up big in the playoffs.  And he is ~ 1.5 years younger.

But GMs, imho, always think they know a way to re-capture a guys prime, and I think they'll be a couple of GMs thinking that they will get the Greinke from four years ago, rather than the Greinke over the past three years.  And look at the teams rumored to be involved-LAA and LAD.  Both teams very rarely make good moves on the pro level, and rely on their farm.  LAA acquired Wells and Pujols hoping for a return to form, and LAD acquired the Big Dump and extended Ethier for no particular reason, and are now looking to dump him.

So I think Greinke will be way overpaid, but deliver similar results to Sanchez.  Good, but not great.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I dont like Grienke in Boston, at all. Hamilton would be nice on a 3-4 year deal.

[/QUOTE]

Of course there are risks....but we need a 1/2 guy, not another 3/4 pitcher. He is the only top pitcher out there. Forget Sanchez, Marckum, and all the rest...not even close to Greinke as a pitcher. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I like how you chose 3 yrs as your measuring stick. Let's do 4 yrs....or 5 yrs. how many times has marcum or Sanchez gone 200 innings in that time also? Why don' t we ask the 32 gms who they would take....

[/QUOTE]

The reality is that there is a possibility that Marcum or Sanchez would consider coming to Boston, while Greinke would not.  Greinke is very likely going to get 130+ million from the Dodgers, with the Angels or Rangers the two other realistic options. 

My guess is that there are maybe 4 GMs who would take Greinke at 130+ million over Marcum and Sanchez at less than one third of that, and no GM in the north east outside of Alex Anthopolous in Toronto would even consider Greinke...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The reality is that there is a possibility that Marcum or Sanchez would consider coming to Boston, while Greinke would not.  Greinke is very likely going to get 130+ million from the Dodgers, with the Angels or Rangers the two other realistic options. 

My guess is that there are maybe 4 GMs who would take Greinke at 130+ million over Marcum and Sanchez at less than one third of that, and no GM in the north east outside of Alex Anthopolous in Toronto would even consider Greinke...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I go back three because that's how assessments are done.  I think a lot of the analysts use a 5/4/3 weighting over the past three seasons.  Four years ago is ancient history.

Four years ago, some of your best players were Youkilis, Arod, Lind, Bay Drew, Carlos Lee, Ryan Howard.  And some of you best pitchers were Carpenter, Lincecum, Jurrijens, Vazquez, Happ, Millwood.

Four years ago is a lifetime in baseball.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I would not be surprised if Alex Anthopolous makes another big move (sign either Greinke or Hamilton).  He knows that the time to compete for the AL East and a playoff spot is now.

The Yankees are getting old, the Red Sox are in a transition phase, the Rays need hitting and will lose players, and the O's will not be as good as last year (their one-run and extra inning record will not be repeated in 2013). 

Anthopolous is even helping Buehrle find a way to bring his pitbull over since they are banned in Ontario.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I would not be surprised if Alex Anthopolous makes another big move (sign either Greinke or Hamilton).  He knows that the time to compete for the AL East and a playoff spot is now.

The Yankees are getting old, the Red Sox are in a transition phase, the Rays need hitting and will lose players, and the O's will not be as good as last year (their one-run and extra inning record will not be repeated in 2013). 

Anthopolous is even helping Buehrle find a way to bring his pitbull over since they are banned in Ontario.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I agree wholeheartedly on the idea of signing guys on short terms (4-5 years tops) to bridge to the farm talent.

I also have said I thought that Grienke would do fine in Boston if he felt that it was the right move for him (no way of knowing if you don't negotiate). 

That said, I would prefer Sanchez for less money (and perhaps fewer years).  And I like Hamilton on a 3 or 4-year deal at really big money.  Not comfortable with the Napoli, 4 years deal, as I think he is a square peg fit, much like Crawford.  Problem is the Sox have no young 1Bmen moving up the ranks that look to be future palyers.  Not sure Napoli bridges to anyone.  And he is not needed as a catcher at all.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I agree wholeheartedly on the idea of signing guys on short terms (4-5 years tops) to bridge to the farm talent.

I also have said I thought that Grienke would do fine in Boston if he felt that it was the right move for him (no way of knowing if you don't negotiate). 

That said, I would prefer Sanchez for less money (and perhaps fewer years).  And I like Hamilton on a 3 or 4-year deal at really big money.  Not comfortable with the Napoli, 4 years deal, as I think he is a square peg fit, much like Crawford.  Problem is the Sox have no young 1Bmen moving up the ranks that look to be future palyers.  Not sure Napoli bridges to anyone.  And he is not needed as a catcher at all.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    I don't think Toronto is done either, but it sounds like the Dodgers are not going to be outbid for Greinke.  At this point, the only other realistic option for him is to re-sign with the Angels.  All things being fairly equal, there is no way Greinke is going to choose pitching in the northeast over Southern California. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I go back three because that's how assessments are done.  I think a lot of the analysts use a 5/4/3 weighting over the past three seasons.  Four years ago is ancient history.

Four years ago, some of your best players were Youkilis, Arod, Lind, Bay Drew, Carlos Lee, Ryan Howard.  And some of you best pitchers were Carpenter, Lincecum, Jurrijens, Vazquez, Happ, Millwood.

Four years ago is a lifetime in baseball.

[/QUOTE]

Ok....over the last 3 yrs....Zack Greinke is 41-25 ( that...in spite of pitching on a 67 win team in 2010)  Sanchez....30-34.    Marcum.  33-19 ( big injury issues)  and there is no way you will get Sanchez for a third of what Greinke signs for. He'll get 4/60 easy...maybe more. If you give Marcum 3 yrs you might get a yr and a half out of him. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[/QUOTE]

Ok....over the last 3 yrs....Zack Greinke is 41-25 ( that...in spite of pitching on a 67 win team in 2010)  Sanchez....30-34.    Marcum.  33-19 ( big injury issues)  and there is no way you will get Sanchez for a third of what Greinke signs for. He'll get 4/60 easy...maybe more. If you give Marcum 3 yrs you might get a yr and a half out of him. 

[/QUOTE]

KC won 67, but you conveniently left out Mil, who won 96 in 2011, Mil for part of the year in 2012, and LAA for part of the year in 2012.  Greinke's teams were much better than Sanchez, and about equal to Marcum's, who has a better winning % over the past three years.

I think you're about right on the prices for Sanchez and Marcum, but Greinke will have about twice the contract that Sanchez will, and i don't see anything over the past few years to warrant that.