It's a 2 yr bridge, not 1 like people think. Signing Greinke and Hamilton now is not the same as signing Agon and Crawford....here is why

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I wouldn't give Hamilton more than 4 years, and Greinke I'm not sure about. He might be ok, but I wonder about his mental focus sometimes. Although, that may be overblown.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

I wouldn't give Hamilton more than 4 years, and Greinke I'm not sure about. He might be ok, but I wonder about his mental focus sometimes. Although, that may be overblown.

I think it is overblown, but I feel greinke is not the FA guy we have been waiting years to throw a bunch of money at.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think it is overblown, but I feel greinke is not the FA guy we have been waiting years to throw a bunch of money at.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Moon....my whole point of this thread was to point out that THERE IS away that we can compete in 2013and14, as well as be in very good shape for 15,16,n 17 also. If...and I know it prob isn't going to happen, that Ben signs Greinke and Hamilton( whom, I think we ALL agree are the 2 players out there that would give us a fair chance at a WS title) Even with Napoli, I believe our payroll would be in the 165/170 range. A rotation of.      Lester, Grenke, Buch, Lackey, and Doub would be pretty formidable on paper. And a lineup of.     Ells,Pedey,Hamilton, Papi,Napoli,Midds etc would be pretty scary also for the next 2 yrs.  by 2015, if we bring the young guys along right, and we take off about 60/70m in payroll by losing Papi, Ells, Lackey, Lester, Gomes,Baily,Salty,etc...my 2015 team would have flexibility to spend, and hopefully another young group of futer allstars to build around. 2015 you should have Barnes,Boggy,JBJ,Brentz,DeLa Rosa, Webster Marrero all ready to blossom....with young vets like Midds,Iggy,Tazawa,Doubrant,Lava ( yes...he will be the catcher of that team, trust me) Kalish still under control and very affordable. The future is bright, but if we want to win the Nxt 2 yrs, I believe Grenke and Hamilton give us the best chance. Just my opinion...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

Moon....my whole point of this thread was to point out that THERE IS away that we can compete in 2013and14, as well as be in very good shape for 15,16,n 17 also. If...and I know it prob isn't going to happen, that Ben signs Greinke and Hamilton( whom, I think we ALL agree are the 2 players out there that would give us a fair chance at a WS title) Even with Napoli, I believe our payroll would be in the 165/170 range. A rotation of.      Lester, Grenke, Buch, Lackey, and Doub would be pretty formidable on paper. And a lineup of.     Ells,Pedey,Hamilton, Papi,Napoli,Midds etc would be pretty scary also for the next 2 yrs.  by 2015, if we bring the young guys along right, and we take off about 60/70m in payroll by losing Papi, Ells, Lackey, Lester, Gomes,Baily,Salty,etc...my 2015 team would have flexibility to spend, and hopefully another young group of futer allstars to build around. 2015 you should have Barnes,Boggy,JBJ,Brentz,DeLa Rosa, Webster Marrero all ready to blossom....with young vets like Midds,Iggy,Tazawa,Doubrant,Lava ( yes...he will be the catcher of that team, trust me) Kalish still under control and very affordable. The future is bright, but if we want to win the Nxt 2 yrs, I believe Grenke and Hamilton give us the best chance. Just my opinion...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:

Moon....my whole point of this thread was to point out that THERE IS away that we can compete in 2013and14, as well as be in very good shape for 15,16,n 17 also. If...and I know it prob isn't going to happen, that Ben signs Greinke and Hamilton( whom, I think we ALL agree are the 2 players out there that would give us a fair chance at a WS title)

Going from 93 losses one season to a World Series title the next would represent a historic turnaround.

The 1987 Minnesota Twins won the World Series title after losing 91 games the previous year, the 1969 New York Mets won the World Series title after losing 89 games the previous year and the 2002 Anaheim Angels won the World Series title after losing 87 games the previous year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to makonikyman's comment:

Moon....my whole point of this thread was to point out that THERE IS away that we can compete in 2013and14, as well as be in very good shape for 15,16,n 17 also. If...and I know it prob isn't going to happen, that Ben signs Greinke and Hamilton( whom, I think we ALL agree are the 2 players out there that would give us a fair chance at a WS title)

Going from 93 losses one season to a World Series title the next would represent a historic turnaround.

The 1987 Minnesota Twins won the World Series title after losing 91 games the previous year, the 1969 New York Mets won the World Series title after losing 89 games the previous year and the 2002 Anaheim Angels won the World Series title after losing 87 games the previous year.

I remember in 1987, the Toronto Blue Jays had a 4-game lead with seven to go but then lost the division to the Tigers.  That was a nasty collapse.  But not as bad as the 2012 Texas Rangers.  LOL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Forget bridges. Here's what you do, you don't sign anybody big, you wait, and you wait some more and then when the time comes, then you get guys who will actually help the team win. There's not much out there for the Sox, and it's wise to just put the check book away and live with a pathetic 2013, so that in 14, maybe they will have some ducks in a row. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Forget bridges. Here's what you do, you don't sign anybody big, you wait, and you wait some more and then when the time comes, then you get guys who will actually help the team win. There's not much out there for the Sox, and it's wise to just put the check book away and live with a pathetic 2013, so that in 14, maybe they will have some ducks in a row. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

u can say that again

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

I think we can make some mid-level signings that will better position ourselves for 2014 and beyond (like McCarthy or Marcum).

Be proactive in "getting our ducks in a row" by trading all players that will be FAs after 2013. Increase our farm quality for future trade offers.

Make trades based on 2014 and beyond, and not so much about 2013 unless it comes with the package.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think we can make some mid-level signings that will better position ourselves for 2014 and beyond (like McCarthy or Marcum).

Be proactive in "getting our ducks in a row" by trading all players that will be FAs after 2013. Increase our farm quality for future trade offers.

Make trades based on 2014 and beyond, and not so much about 2013 unless it comes with the package.

I dont think our FA, besides maybe Ells at the deadline, would bring back anything significant.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I think it is not acceptable to simply write off 2013 in hopes of being better in 2014. There is nothing to indicate that that will work out. You can call us whiners and crybabies and spoiled , but many of us true Sox fans want and expect to be contenders every year.  That is my belief. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I think it is not acceptable to simply write off 2013 in hopes of being better in 2014. There is nothing to indicate that that will work out. You can call us whiners and crybabies and spoiled , but many of us true Sox fans want and expect to be contenders every year.  That is my belief. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I dont think our FA, besides maybe Ells at the deadline, would bring back anything significant.

Ells will bring more if traded before the season starts due to the attached comp pick that will be lost if traded "in season".

While I do not think Salty, Breslow, R Hill and Sweeney will bring much in return, they could be lumped in with bigger packages that net us some top prospects or younger ML players with multiple control years.

My point is, if we are not going to seriously compete in 2013, we should go all out for 2014 and beyond. Why keep player we will lose after 2013 and get nothing in return?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Maybe its because the market hasnt full developed, but I'm actually seeing a chance for the Sox to spend reasonably and make us full blown contenders next year.  

Swisher to 4 / 52 (13M / yr)

Napoli to 4 / 48 (12 m / yr)

C. Ross 3 / 22.5 (7.5 M / yr)

Thats 22.5M.  So you are replacing the AGON contract w/ three good players.

Our payroll after arbitration sits at around 80 M.  So these three will put us around 100M.  Still be the least expensive Red Sox team since I can remember.

Imagine:

(Assume lefties pitch 25% of the time)

Against all lefties (25% of the time):

Napoli at C, Swisher at 1B , Gomes in RF, Ross in LF.

Against most righties  (45% of the time)

Ross in LF, Swisher in RF, Napoli at 1B , D. Ross at C

Against the other righties (30% of the time):

Nava/Sweeney/Kalish (whoever wins the job) in LF,  Swisher in RF, Napoli at 1B, Lava/Salty at C.

That team , for about 110M / yr tops, can compete with any.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Maybe its because the market hasnt full developed, but I'm actually seeing a chance for the Sox to spend reasonably and make us full blown contenders next year.  

Our payroll after arbitration sits at around 80 M.  So these three will put us around 100M.  Still be the least expensive Red Sox team since I can remember.

Imagine:

Nava/Sweeney/Kalish (whoever wins the job) in LF,  Swisher in RF, Napoli at 1B, Lava/Salty at C.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Imagine:

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Imagine:

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Imagine:

You forgetting pitching. And if we sign Gomes..we won't need Ross imo

Sections
Shortcuts