Its Done

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Its Done

What happens with Bobby V now?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

How much money are the Red Sox paying of their remaining salaries? Nobody has  mentioned it definitively.   

Lackey is still here.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I honestly feel like a gigantic weight has been lifted off of this team.

I never thought they'd actually do it, as much as I'd hoped for it, and as much as it seemed to make the most sense...I just never thought it would happen. Now that it HAS happened, I wouldn't be surprised if Ellsbury/Lester/Pedroia were all moved for a totally "clean slate".

At that point, J-Eric, I say let Bobby bring in HIS guys, let him actually do it HIS way, and give him 2013, and maybe 2014. He's not a long term solution, but I think he is a very good talent evaluator, and would do wonders with a team of 20-somethings who are just eager to play. That gives the team time to sort out the roster and figure out a direction, and find a manager that is a good fit for the long term. This involves letting Cherrington do HIS job as well. When he narrows it down to one guy, trust his decision, or find a new GM.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: Its Done:
    How much money are the Red Sox paying of their remaining salaries? Nobody has  mentioned it definitively.    Lackey is still here.
    Posted by concord27

NObody knows yet, you have to pay to fix your mistakes. If the Dodgers sent back that many prospects, I'm thinking somewhere around 40-50, Half of Beckett's roughly 30 remaining about 5 per year for the remainder of Crawford's, and I think LA assumes all of Gonzalez'. Just my opinion.

As for Lackey, he's only one guy. If he didn't get the message, he can be exiled to PIT and the Sox will have to eat a little more money to be done with this problem. They've shown the willingness to do it, if he really was the problem, or the root of it, he won't be here too long. You can deal a LF undergoing TJ surgery, but Lackey will have to show he can still pitch somewhat for anyone to spend a roster spot on him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

I honestly feel like a gigantic weight has been lifted off of this team. I never thought they'd actually do it, as much as I'd hoped for it, and as much as it seemed to make the most sense...I just never thought it would happen. Now that it HAS happened, I wouldn't be surprised if Ellsbury/Lester/Pedroia were all moved for a totally "clean slate". At that point, J-Eric, I say let Bobby bring in HIS guys, let him actually do it HIS way, and give him 2013, and maybe 2014. He's not a long term solution, but I think he is a very good talent evaluator, and would do wonders with a team of 20-somethings who are just eager to play. That gives the team time to sort out the roster and figure out a direction, and find a manager that is a good fit for the long term. This involves letting Cherrington do HIS job as well. When he narrows it down to one guy, trust his decision, or find a new GM.
    Posted by ma6dragon9

Dragon, 

I'm nuetral on Bobby V for now but if you do not view him as part of the long term solution my vote is to start looking for a replacement at seasons end for the long term solution. If the Sox are truly clearing house to start the rebuilding look for someone to manage the rebuild and hopefully keep that manager long term. If Bobby V is such a great talent evaluator find a way to sooth his fragile ego with a front office job that would take advantage of his best assets of which managing and handling players is not one. Bobby V is a controversy waiting to happen every time he open his mouth in public with the evil Boston Press waiting eagerly for his every word. 

Hetch

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: Its Done : Dragon,  I'm nuetral on Bobby V for now but if you do not view him as part of the long term solution my vote is to start looking for a replacement at seasons end for the long term solution. If the Sox are truly clearing house to start the rebuilding look for someone to manage the rebuild and hopefully keep that manager long term. If Bobby V is such a great talent evaluator find a way to sooth his fragile ego with a front office job that would take advantage of his best assets of which managing and handling players is not one. Bobby V is a controversy waiting to happen every time he open his mouth in public with the evil Boston Press waiting eagerly for his every word.  Hetch
    Posted by Hetchinspete

I don't disagree. My thinkging, though, is that Bobby is not really part of the problem. So, before exposing anyone else to this mess, and hiring a 3rd manager in 3 years (fairly unprecedented), why not let Bobby work with a younger team. Sure, if you find a guy this year and he seems like the perfect fit, go for it. But what I do NOT want is a change for the sake of change. I'm not so sure the answer is out there right now, or they can find the correct person so fast.

Whether it takes 2 months or 2 years, I just want to see them do it the right way, and get the right person. I don't know anyone who thought Bobby was a good hire, at the time. It seemed obviously doomed for failure.

Now, interesting conspiracy theory I had heard goes like this: Mangement knew the problems, but felt they needed the public on their side. Hiring Bobby, to them, would lead to this all becoming public and ugly, and give them the leverage to make drastic changes. I heard this 2 months ago and laughed...now, it seems more plausible.

I STILL like Tony Pena.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

The report is we pick up $10-12 of the $272. So weve cleared out $260 million. Wow. This had to get done, I never thought wed do it or be ABLE to do it. Give Cherington credit.

Losing Agon is obviously not ideal, but he was barely living up to that massive contract, and his swing that was suppose to be perfect for fenway and make him an even more effective hitter never really happened.  To me losing Agon is a small price to pay if you could find someone to actually take arguably 2 of the worst contract's in the game in crawford and beckett. To be able to get rid of those deals and only have to eat 10-12 mill is an amazing accomplishment.

I never felt better about  my team LOSING so much talent. Usually when ANY boston team makes a trade u expect to get the big name in the deal or ADD talent. But with this move I feel good that WE are getting rid of the big names and the big talent. Great move, the sox can now start over and try again.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In Response to Re: Its Done : I don't disagree. My thinkging, though, is that Bobby is not really part of the problem. So, before exposing anyone else to this mess, and hiring a 3rd manager in 3 years (fairly unprecedented), why not let Bobby work with a younger team. Sure, if you find a guy this year and he seems like the perfect fit, go for it. But what I do NOT want is a change for the sake of change. I'm not so sure the answer is out there right now, or they can find the correct person so fast. Whether it takes 2 months or 2 years, I just want to see them do it the right way, and get the right person. I don't know anyone who thought Bobby was a good hire, at the time. It seemed obviously doomed for failure. Now, interesting conspiracy theory I had heard goes like this: Mangement knew the problems, but felt they needed the public on their side. Hiring Bobby, to them, would lead to this all becoming public and ugly, and give them the leverage to make drastic changes. I heard this 2 months ago and laughed...now, it seems more plausible. I STILL like Tony Pena.
    Posted by ma6dragon9

I thought and still think Bobby was a great hire. He is a baseball manager. He's not a psychologist or a doctor, he's an excellent baseball strategist. Exactly what this team needed and needs. The front office needs to give him the freedom to manage.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

How much money are the Red Sox paying of their remaining salaries? Nobody has  mentioned it definitively.    Lackey is still here.
    Posted by concord27

It would be difficult to trade someone like Lackey who is just recovering from tommy john surgery.  It is still possible that he has a great season next year.  At least I will remain optimistic until next season.  I also heard that is very much liked by his teammates and a great locker room presence.  Just because most Red Sox fans and the media don't like him his teammates feel differently towards him. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Nick Punto...there shouldn't be a dry eye in the Sox fan base !!!   HA !!!

There are many discussion posts dealing with the same topic so I've copied and pasted this from a discussion  I started " The Yankees of the West Coast".

As a SF fan, the Giants play the Dodgers as frequently as the Sox play the Yanks so I'll get to see these former Sox players frequently as I do, and really enjoy, Reddick & Coco Crisp with the A's.

I am a Sox fan first but a SF Giant fan too and as happy as I am with this trade & freedom from incredible financial burden, it's as if these players assuming the Sox were competitive, went to the Yankees. Still hope the Giants awesome pitching holds up as without that dummy, Melky Cabrera, because of performancing enhancing substance, their hitting is light.

Going forward for the Sox, irrespective of having more money available, I say let's bite the bullet & forget about trying to get Hamilton from Rangers, King Felix from Seattle etc. & suffer for a couple of years & build the team with youngsters.  Forget about overloading our payroll with the Lackey's, Dice K's, Crawfords & Agon's & worrying they will stay healthy! The Yankees have done it but let's admit they are better than we are getting some talent from other teams.

Let Tampa Bay be an inspiration as they seem to always be competitive the past few years with great pitching and just average hitting but developing players from their farm system. I can't think of any superstars either on Baltimore's team but they are definitely better than we are this year. So, our scouts should concentrate on great youthful prospects in college or, as you say, players outside the USA.

Sections
Shortcuts