It's early but it appears the wheels on the bus might be in for a rotation...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: It's early but it appears the wheels on the bus might be in for a rotation...

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I
    Just as DGale cannot draw any conclusions about this team after 8 games, neither can you. They may or may not play in the postseason. I have no idea if they are good enough; no one does. I thought they were good enough to do it in 2011 and look how that turned out. After about 40 games we should have a better idea of what our chances for October baseball are.

I'm not drawing any conclusions based on 8 games.

I'm basing it on the amount of talent on the team, period.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: It's early but it appears the wheels on the bus might be in for a rotation...

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I
    Just as DGale cannot draw any conclusions about this team after 8 games, neither can you. They may or may not play in the postseason. I have no idea if they are good enough; no one does. I thought they were good enough to do it in 2011 and look how that turned out. After about 40 games we should have a better idea of what our chances for October baseball are.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How much talent did the 2011 team have? A lot, but they still missed the playoffs. I do not think the Red Sox were the most talented team in the playoffs last year (I think the Tigers were), but they PERFORMED better than anyone else. Its more accurate to judge a team's chances by how they perform than by how much talent it seems they have. We should have some idea of how the team is performing after they have played 40 games, and even a better idea by the ASB. I have no idea if they will perform well enough to make the playoffs this year and I do not think that the team has talent that is puts it above other contenders for the playoffs spots.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I just try to be objective. I am not an eternal optimist. I am not a pollyanna. I am not a blind supporter of the GM. Neither am I a chronic complainer , an  eternal pessimist or a doom and gloomer. I just try to react to what I am seeing.  It is hard for me to say how much money John Henry should spend. I have no idea what his profit margin is.  I don't know which free agents were within reach. I do know that Tanaka, Cano,  Ellsbury, Choo, Beltran and McCann are very talented players. I do know enough about business to know that you have to stay ahead of the competition. I did not think that we did enough to stay ahead. So far ( I know it is early, no need to remind me of that  ) the results seem to bear that out. That's all that I'm saying.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How much talent did the 2011 team have? A lot, but they still missed the playoffs. I do not think the Red Sox were the most talented team in the playoffs last year (I think the Tigers were), but they PERFORMED better than anyone else. Its more accurate to judge a team's chances by how they perform than by how much talent it seems they have. We should have some idea of how the team is performing after they have played 40 games, and even a better idea by the ASB. I have no idea if they will perform well enough to make the playoffs this year and I do not think that the team has talent that is puts it above other contenders for the playoffs spots.

[/QUOTE]

That's nice.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like Workman going back to AAA to get stretched out and pile up some IP's. Doubie needs to find his rhythm thius year and go deeper into games or his tenure in Boston wont make it to 2015.

[/QUOTE]

Workman is one of the steady guys on what, so far, looks like an overrated bullpen. I have much more trust in Workman than I do for the emotionless Don't-bee.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Something should have been done during the off season. It is still not too late, but things could unravel in a hurry if they don't start playing better ball. When you stand still, while the opposition is improving, it is usually a recipe for failure.

[/QUOTE]

what would you propose Ben should have done?

overpaid for ells?

overpaid for mccann?

overpaid for tanaka?

trades?

[/QUOTE]

He wont give specifics.

He just repeats the same thing at least once a week.

[/QUOTE]

Do you want specifics? Okay. Yes, I would have " overpaid " for one of those guys. I would have explored the foreign market. I would have looked at trades. Read my other post. Yes, I said it once a week. What are we seeing on the field? Was I right? Are you happy with this team? Do you really think everything was done right this off season? You don't run a business like that. You always have to improve, stay ahead of the competition. Have we done that ?  Let me ask you this; if this team does not turn it around, will you continue to make excuses and defend the inaction all season?  Or will you say, yes we dropped the ball this off season ?

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, after 8 games, you're dead on, Dgale.

Let's just skip the next 154. We're screwed because we didn't get Tanaka.

Looks like 30 other teams are also doomed.

If this team doesn't improve, it's because injuries took too much of a toll, not because the Sox didn't "improve" just for the sake of change.

The Sox will be competive this year. So, I'm not the least bit worried about making excuses.

Get used to it.

[/QUOTE]

28 actually.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i agree not enough was done in the offseason as we basically got worse and others improved around us. As to where we could have improved, well, LF would be a start. The gomes/nava platoon worked last year offensively (both are terrible defensively) but to expect that again was a big risk from the sox fo. Now add to that losing ellsbury in center and the uncertainty with victorinos health, the outfield was a mess heading into the season and nothing was done about it. Not to mention the lack a #3 hitter. Considering how napoli did last year and how old ortiz is, counting on those 2 to anchor the middle of the order is just plain dumb. Both at this point in there careers are 5 hitters with napoli more a 5/6 hitter. In terms of the rotation, there was not much we could have done besides tanaka. The price for him was crazy high so I'm not surprised we passed on him. The pen is could have been imrpoved more for sure, never liked the badenhop signing from the beginning and still dont. He has been very mediocre in the NL aside from last year and has got hit hard so far this year. Mujica seemed like a decent signing and still could be, but the early results are not good. I think adding a solid lefty would have helped as miller cannot be counted on. In terms of guys we should have signed, chris perez is at the top of my list. He was a buy low candidate (and he did sign for cheap with the dodgers) who could have been our future closer. In terms of what the fo can improve this team going forward, well for one we have to hope the marlins are in the basement as we get closer to the deadline and then go blockbuster style and deal for stanton + cishek. Stanton plays LF, cishek sets up koji this year, then probably takes over as closer next year. Matt Kemp we be another guy I would target for LF. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

I just try to be objective. I am not an eternal optimist. I am not a pollyanna. I am not a blind supporter of the GM. Neither am I a chronic complainer , an  eternal pessimist or a doom and gloomer. I just try to react to what I am seeing.  It is hard for me to say how much money John Henry should spend. I have no idea what his profit margin is.  I don't know which free agents were within reach. I do know that Tanaka, Cano,  Ellsbury, Choo, Beltran and McCann are very talented players. I do know enough about business to know that you have to stay ahead of the competition. I did not think that we did enough to stay ahead. So far ( I know it is early, no need to remind me of that  ) the results seem to bear that out. That's all that I'm saying.

[/QUOTE]

So the Yankees got the very talented Tanaka, Ellsbury, Beltran and McCann, and they are 4-4, .500, which is worse than last year.

Are those the results you mean?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe I'm wrong but I've never seen any exhibition of emotion from the guy. 

I don't see much emotion from Lester either, so am I missing something?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

I think Lester has serious emotion if calls don't go his way.

Lackey wears it on his sleeve and Peavy beats himself up.

Pedroia the same and Gomes needs some help with his potential rage.

He's a great clubhouse guy but one of the least talented players on the team.

His record of making it to the playoffs is pretty impressive. The Phillies are desperate for the playoffs, the same with the Marlins---hey the Cubs. Trade Gomes to the Cubs for Ruggiano.

We need a RH bat in the outfield that can play multiple OF positions. I do like both Herrera and Roberts as I have said--Ruggiano would be another solid pickup.

Britton wants to be back up here. What's wrong with Cap as a starter replacing Doubrount? Douby is a nice player--maybe a long reliever-swap him with Cap.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to MadMc1944's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lackey wears it on his sleeve and Peavy beats himself up.

Pedroia the same and Gomes needs some help with his potential rage.

He's a great clubhouse guy but one of the least talented players on the team.

His record of making it to the playoffs is pretty impressive. The Phillies are desperate for the playoffs, the same with the Marlins---hey the Cubs. Trade Gomes to the Cubs for Ruggiano.

We need a RH bat in the outfield that can play multiple OF positions. I do like both Herrera and Roberts as I have said--Ruggiano would be another solid pickup.

Britton wants to be back up here. What's wrong with Cap as a starter replacing Doubrount? Douby is a nice player--maybe a long reliever-swap him with Cap.

[/QUOTE]

Douby is a long snore.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

overpaid for ells?

overpaid for mccann?

Do you want specifics? Okay. Yes, I would have " overpaid " for one of those guys. 

And so far, you'd have been wrong.

McCann is hitting .152 with -0- HRs to replace our catcher who is hitting .360.

And Ellsbury is hitting .364 to replace our CF who is hitting .400.

So we'd have a worse team, and have locked ourselves into another $40,000,000/year in salaries for the foreseeable future.

5 minutes in charge and you've destroyed our team with unnecessary spending.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Maybe I'm wrong but I've never seen any exhibition of emotion from the guy. 

I don't see much emotion from Lester either, so am I missing something?

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure of the original premise.  Is there a advanced metric about jumping up and down a lot?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like Workman going back to AAA to get stretched out and pile up some IP's. Doubie needs to find his rhythm thius year and go deeper into games or his tenure in Boston wont make it to 2015.

[/QUOTE]

Workman is one of the steady guys on what, so far, looks like an overrated bullpen. I have much more trust in Workman than I do for the emotionless Don't-bee.

[/QUOTE]

which is why I want him stretched out in AAA and ready to be plugged into the rotation if need be.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

i agree not enough was done in the offseason as we basically got worse and others improved around us. As to where we could have improved, well, LF would be a start. The gomes/nava platoon worked last year offensively (both are terrible defensively) but to expect that again was a big risk from the sox fo. Now add to that losing ellsbury in center and the uncertainty with victorinos health, the outfield was a mess heading into the season and nothing was done about it. Not to mention the lack a #3 hitter. Considering how napoli did last year and how old ortiz is, counting on those 2 to anchor the middle of the order is just plain dumb. Both at this point in there careers are 5 hitters with napoli more a 5/6 hitter.

Your entire analysis is based on the assumption that everyone will get worse.  It makes no sense.

Papi was the #4 hitter in the league last year.  You can't assume he is disappearing.

And while expecting our LF to be the best in the league would be wrong, expecting them to collapse would be just as wrong.

FWIW, ZIPS has Papi projected as #6 in the AL in OPS, and Napoli #14.  The world is not coming to an end.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to chris2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Something should have been done during the off season. It is still not too late, but things could unravel in a hurry if they don't start playing better ball. When you stand still, while the opposition is improving, it is usually a recipe for failure.

[/QUOTE]

what would you propose Ben should have done?

overpaid for ells?

overpaid for mccann?

overpaid for tanaka?

trades?

[/QUOTE]

He should have done something.  I don't know about " overpaid ", but it looks like  John Henry may have taken hold of the checkbook. There are free agents, foreign free agents and trade options. Do something, for heavens sake. Right now, we are seeing the results of the inaction. I have said it repeatedly. You have got to stay ahead of the competition in business. Baseball is a business. One can make excuses all day long. We can't " overpay." Vasquez will be ready next year. One year stopgap. We have a good farm system. You can go on forever like that. There will always be a next year. There will always be prospects.  So and so has a good OBP. Our rotation was good enough last year. On and on. The bottom line is that the competition improved, while we did not. Constantly looking for reasons to justify inaction is not good for business. As far as " overpaying " , everything about baseball involves overpaying. How many players are worth what they are being paid?  Even the ham and eggers are getting rich. The price of a ticket is too much. Are the beer, soda, peanuts and hot dogs overpriced? Of course. Eveything is inflated in baseball. Do we want to win? Or are we willing to be content with losing as long as we are not overpaying? I want to win.

[/QUOTE]

i used to fall into the category of pay whatever it takes to get the FA's.  then the crawford disaster happened.  and then we traded 3 highly paid players to the dodgers.  and then we won a WS.  i

am now a full believer that you dont necessarily have to have "overpaid" free agents to win it all. 

you dont have to break the bank.  it is ok to let some kids play, to fill in some holes with short term contracts.  to put trust in "the plan".

yes, beer, tickets, hotdogs are all way expensive.  same as popcorn & soda at the movies.  insane markups. 

it seems the Sox are spending pretty close to the luxury tax threshhold.  as a fan, that is all i can ask my ownership to do.

[/QUOTE]

All I can say to that is we are not the Houston Astros or Kansas City. The owners make more money than I can shake a stick at. I like the thought of bringing up the kids but dam, I say go after what we need now, make a statement to the league and players that we are willing to do what it takes to get to October baseball. 

[/QUOTE]

The Sox team salary amounts to about $162M for salaries alone. I believe there are other factors that take us closer to the cap of $189M; perhaps others can comment on that. Last I heard we were pretty close to the cap-within about $7M as I recall. So in order to add a high price star we would have to clear some space. Who should go? The obvious answer is Carp, but he is earning just $1.4M this year according to BR.  Its become pretty clear that getting high priced players is no guarantee of a ring; if it were, the Dodgers would easily have won it last year and the Yankees would have been in the playoffs too.

Personally, I prefer using your well developed farm system of cheap talented players supplemented by an occasional player with a midrange salary who represents VALUE along with a star (Lester, Ortiz) or two to get competitive. Having the owners get caught in the same quagmire we were in when we had Crawford, Beckett, and Gonzalez is just plain dumb.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Its become pretty clear that getting high priced players is no guarantee of a ring; if it were, the Dodgers would easily have won it last year and the Yankees would have been in the playoffs too.

I'm at a loss to understand why some posters think that the best way to compete against teams that have twice as much money as we have, is to try to outspend them.  Not to mention the god awful record of the big money FAs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

overpaid for ells?

overpaid for mccann?

Do you want specifics? Okay. Yes, I would have " overpaid " for one of those guys. 

So we'd have a worse team, and have locked ourselves into another $40,000,000/year in salaries for the foreseeable future.

[/QUOTE]

1- What about Tanaka?  2- Why would it destroy our team?  3- If you criticize others for citing small sample sizes, don't cite them yourself.  4- It's all about business. Not only the player's stats. Last year the Yankees had many empty seats. Falling TV ratings. Losing revenue. Making the post season is worth plenty. Who is to say who is overpaid?  Everything in baseball is inflated. Every team wants to make a profit. Steinbrenner is not in business to lose money. If John Henry feels that he has reached his spending limit, so be it. But I have to laugh at you guys always worrying about the spending and who is worth it. This is big business.  5- If you think having players like Tanaka, Ellsbury, McCann, Choo, Cano and Beltran  would " destroy the team " , there is not much sense in me talking to you. All I hear is " give us specifics ."  When you get some specifics, you try to discredit all of them. So okay, you are right. The off season was a great success. We did nothing to improve, but at least we didn't destroy the team with spending.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Since when has that been a gauge of effectiveness or dedication?

To tell you the truth, I prefer cool cucumbers like Manny and Drew to hot heads who slam their bats down in disgust like Nixon and Youk used to do.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

1- What about Tanaka?  2- Why would it destroy our team?  3- If you criticize others for citing small sample sizes, don't cite them yourself.  4- It's all about business. Not only the player's stats. Last year the Yankees had many empty seats. Falling TV ratings. Losing revenue. Making the post season is worth plenty. Who is to say who is overpaid?  Everything in baseball is inflated. Every team wants to make a profit. Steinbrenner is not in business to lose money. If John Henry feels that he has reached his spending limit, so be it. But I have to laugh at you guys always worrying about the spending and who is worth it. This is big business.  5- If you think having players like Tanaka, Ellsbury, McCann, Choo, Cano and Beltran  would " destroy the team " , there is not much sense in me talking to you. All I hear is " give us specifics ."  When you get some specifics, you try to discredit all of them. So okay, you are right. The off season was a great success. We did nothing to improve, but at least we didn't destroy the team with spending.

And how can you be so sure the Yankees have improved overall?  They lost Rivera, Pettitte, Cano and Granderson.  That's one Hall of Famer, one borderline HOFer, one potential HOFer and potential MVP this year, and one who was 4th in MVP in 2011. 

The Yankees are 4-5 like us. Their infield and bullpen are suspect.

This is the thing you're not taking into consideration, you seem to be assuming that the Yankees spending spree is going to be an automatic success. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...you seem to be assuming that the Yankees spending spree is going to be an automatic success.

...and that none fo their mostly aging players may decline this year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And how can you be so sure the Yankees have improved overall?  They lost Rivera, Pettitte, Cano and Granderson.  That's one Hall of Famer, one borderline HOFer, one potential HOFer and potential MVP this year, and one who was 4th in MVP in 2011. 

The Yankees are 4-5 like us. Their infield and bullpen are suspect.

This is the thing you're not taking into consideration, you seem to be assuming that the Yankees spending spree is going to be an automatic success. 

[/QUOTE]

Looks like a case of "the grass is always greener...".

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

overpaid for ells?

overpaid for mccann?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I laugh at posters like you who equate spending and payroll with quality. How did having high-priced talent work out in 2011 and 2012.

I laugh at posters like you who think because the Sox didn’t sign a high-priced free agent, it means they didn’t improve.

And when you’re coming off a 97-win season and a World Series title, it’s not like there are obvious places where you can improve.

We’ll see what happens in CF. When you have a player like Ellsbury in CF, it’s hard to improve that position. But just because they didn’t bring him back, it doesn’t mean they didn’t get worse at that position. Who knows, by the end of the season, it could be a wash. In the short run, maybe there's a slight drop off but in the long run it could end up being an improvement. Running a team is always about balancing the short-term with the long term.

While I was a defender of Drew last year, I wanted to go with Bogaerts this year. He might not be as good defensively, but the overall offensive/defensive combination could mean SS is improved.

We’ll see what happens at 3B when Middlebrooks gets back, but if he plays up to his potential, 3B could be improved.

A.J. is better behind the plate and at least as good offensively as Salty, so catcher could be improved.

If Sizemore ends up in LF with Bradley in CF, who knows, maybe LF is improved.

With the struggles that the Sox had last year in the bullpen, the bullpen could end up being improved this year.

You mention Tanaka. The Sox had no starting pitching needs. They have a strong rotation returning and talented prospects. There is no guarantee that the prospects will succeed, just like there is not guarantee about Tanaka. At some point, teams do make a decision on how to allocate resources and considering what the Sox have coming up, it made no sense to go after Tanaka.

(Oh, and you mentioned Beltran — the same guy who is batting .185 right now).

You’re entire premise that the Sox didn’t improve is based the simple-minded analysis that the Sox didn’t dole out some big free-agent contract. And your analysis is coming off a year in which the Sox’s strategy won them a World Series, which makes it even more of a head-scratcher.

When all is said and done, I see a number of places where the Sox could be improved from last year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

1- What about Tanaka?  2- Why would it destroy our team? 

You said you'd have signed one of the three players.  Two of the three have failed so far.

3- If you criticize others for citing small sample sizes, don't cite them yourself.

I am not the one fretting that we haven't done enough.  I am more than willing to judge the NYY signings after they are done.

4- It's all about business. Not only the player's stats. Last year the Yankees had many empty seats. Falling TV ratings. Losing revenue. Making the post season is worth plenty. Who is to say who is overpaid?  Everything in baseball is inflated. Every team wants to make a profit. Steinbrenner is not in business to lose money. If John Henry feels that he has reached his spending limit, so be it.

Empty rhetoric.  You are implying that the reason NYY signed all those guys are for ratings,  Makes sense.  But that has nothing to do with why we need to sign those guys.

But I have to laugh at you guys always worrying about the spending and who is worth it. This is big business.

In a world of limited resources, you have to get the most for your spending.  If this is a magic world where everyone can spend whatever they want, and never run out of money, then sure, pay them all $50M a year.  But it isn't.  We live in a world where you have a budget.

5- If you think having players like Tanaka, Ellsbury, McCann, Choo, Cano and Beltran  would " destroy the team " , there is not much sense in me talking to you. All I hear is " give us specifics ."  When you get some specifics, you try to discredit all of them. So okay, you are right. The off season was a great success. We did nothing to improve, but at least we didn't destroy the team with spending.

It is a zero-sum concept going on.  Every time you overspend on one guy, you have less to spend on the next guy.  The key to success is to develop your own players, and to fill in via free agency only when you have to.  Paying $22M for Ellsbury makes no sense.  Paying $17M for McCann when Vazquez and Swihart are available next year, makes no sense.