It's Early, but Middlebrooks Can Hit - Youk rotational back up for 3B, 1B, DH if/when he returns

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

It's Early, but Middlebrooks Can Hit - Youk rotational back up for 3B, 1B, DH if/when he returns

Based on what I've seen, Middlebrooks is the real deal, and he isn't going back down to Pawtucket. If Youk does come back, does he rotate through 1B, DH and 3B?

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Re: It's Early, but Middlebrooks Can Hit - Youk rotational back up for 3B, 1B, DH if/when he returns

Youk needs to be traded for whatever they can get.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sundvl20. Show sundvl20's posts

Re: It's Early, but Middlebrooks Can Hit - Youk rotational back up for 3B, 1B, DH if/when he returns

they missed the boat big time with Youk. The minute they signed Gonzalez, Youk should have been traded when he had excellent value. It would have been tough to do for he was very productive and popular at the time

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

When Middlebrooks hits it, it sounds different, Bill, check with Dad, but I think this kid is the next Tony C.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to It's Early, but Middlebrooks Can Hit - Youk rotational back up for 3B, 1B, DH if/when he returns:
    Based on what I've seen, Middlebrooks is the real deal, and he isn't going back down to Pawtucket. If Youk does come back, does he rotate through 1B, DH and 3B? Thoughts?
    Posted by ADG

I don't know if we can use a roster spot strictly for those roles. How often would you want to rest Papi , AGon or Will ? If Youk could also play a little outfield , maybe it would work.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Will already in 3 games has more HR and RBI than Youk in 18 games.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from candre99. Show candre99's posts

if youk can hit, maybe he goes to 1st base and gonzo is gone

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In Response to Re: It's Early, but Middlebrooks Can Hit - Youk rotational back up for 3B, 1B, DH if/when he returns:
    if youk can hit, maybe he goes to 1st base and gonzo is gone
    Posted by candre99

Respectfully, that is the most absurd idea that I've read on this board in, well in over a week!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Middlebrooks has played only a few games. 

As for Youk, he needs to be healthy again.  I'm sure his brother-in-law, Tom Brady can be his mentor as he prepares a comeback.  lol

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

they missed the boat big time with Youk. The minute they signed Gonzalez, Youk should have been traded when he had excellent value. It would have been tough to do for he was very productive and popular at the time

I said we should trade Youk the day we signed AGon, since moving him back to 3B at his age was dangerous. 

Softy bashed me by saying Youk was a key to us winning, and since Youk wanted to play 3B, there was no issue. He later added that playing 1B was more dangerous than playing 3B.

Of course, the clown will deny all of this.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

One big problem with Youk is that even if he gets healthy, how long can we expect it to last?

Playing Youk in LF might work for a bit (maybe just so we can showcase he has regained his bat, if in fact he can do it), but it can't be a season long plan. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd love to see this team get a legitimate shot:

C   Lava
    1B AGon
    2B Pedey
    3B Middle
    SS Iggy
    LF Youk
    CF Ells
    RF Sweeney
    DH Papi
    UT  Aviles
    OF Ross
    C   Salty or Shopp

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from teamguy. Show teamguy's posts

this is one of the rare instances in which I'm kinda glad Francona isn't around.  We all know exactly what he'd do the second Youk said 'I'm good to go'.  I think Francona would bury Middelbrooks in a heartbeat.

I like that Valentine seems very interested in giving the young kids a chance to shine. And Middelbrooks certainly does impress.

They'll need a bat to pick up the slack as Aviles continues to cool off.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya i think if middlebrooks keeps swinging the bat the way he has been, he will be here to stay. Youk is almost certainly not going to be back next year, his 13 mill dollar option will be decline and that money can put towards other needs such as a top of the rotation pitcher (grienke or hamels), a set up man for the pen, etc. Im not sure what we could get for youk at this point. two teams just lost their 1st basemen for the year, san fran and milwaukee. san fran does not match up well with the sox on a youk deal, but milwaukee could. who could we get? well perhaps a youk plus prospects for grienke trade could work for both teams but im not sure milwaukee would go for it. If the sox want to get pen help, they could deal him for francisco rodriguez which im sure milwuakee would do. Another scenario which could work better is a 3 team deal between the sox, milwaukee, and a perhaps san fran:

milwaukee gets:
    -prospects from the sox
    -prospects from the giants

giants get:
    youk

Sox get:
    grienke

something along those lines could work, not sure if any other top of the rotation pitchers will be available as i doubt the phillies would trade hamels. milwaukee is tanking right now and chances are will continue in that direction so trading grienke for prospects could make sense given that he is a free agent. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

They won't get a haul for Youk. Unless it's him plus the farm, you're looking at a setup man, or a back of the rotation guy at best. I think it all comes down to his attitude. If he's willing to take a backseat to the kid, then he's a very valuable backup, if not you have to get him out of the clubhouse for the best value you can get. There are teams out there needing 3B help, including Cincy, and he would be a big help to many, especially in the NL. There's less demand at 1st, but that's another possibility.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Perhaps if Youk plays the back up roll.  1b,3b,lf,dh. he gets enough rest to stay healthy and keep the other guys rested too.  We need good starting pitching and Youk is not going to get us that so we might as well keep him and hope he accepts his lesser roll.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Re: It's Early, but Middlebrooks Can Hit - Youk rotational back up for 3B, 1B, DH if/when he returns:
    this is one of the rare instances in which I'm kinda glad Francona isn't around.  We all know exactly what he'd do the second Youk said 'I'm good to go'.  I think Francona would bury Middelbrooks in a heartbeat. I like that Valentine seems very interested in giving the young kids a chance to shine. And Middelbrooks certainly does impress. They'll need a bat to pick up the slack as Aviles continues to cool off.
    Posted by teamguy

Wrong!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

While I too am excited about young Middlebrooks...maybe we should temper our enthusiasm a little, until his body of work represents a larger sample...like 100 at bats. If he continues to square up the ball and hit for power count me among those that think it's time for change...until then...Let's not forget that, when healthy Youk's has a lifetime 900 OPS...as in top 10 in the game type stats. So I wouldn't be so quick to put a bullet in the back of his head and allow him time to heal. I am also aware that he has had issue staying healthy for the last few years and perhaps father time is catching up with him.

In the end we all know that when healthy Youk can hit...what we don't know is will Middlebrooks be able to make the nessesary adjustments once the opposition get a book on him and continue to hit...time will tell...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Middlebrooks has played only a few games.  As for Youk, he needs to be healthy again.  I'm sure his brother-in-law, Tom Brady can be his mentor as he prepares a comeback.  lol
    Posted by Ice-Cream

You are correct, but yesterday he hit a HR to right, a double to dead center and a HR to left. He has more HR and as many RBI's as Youk had in 20 games. Sorry.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

I'd love to see this team get a legitimate shot: C   Lava 1B AGon 2B Pedey 3B Middle SS Iggy LF Youk CF Ells RF Sweeney DH Papi UT  Aviles OF Ross C   Salty or Shopp
    Posted by moonslav59

Lavarnway had 3 hits yesterday and is up to .273

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

While I too am excited about young Middlebrooks...maybe we should temper our enthusiasm a little, until his body of work represents a larger sample...like 100 at bats. If he continues to square up the ball and hit for power count me among those that think it's time for change...until then...Let's not forget that, when healthy Youk's has a lifetime 900 OPS...as in top 10 in the game type stats. So I wouldn't be so quick to put a bullet in the back of his head and allow him time to heal. I am also aware that he has had issue staying healthy for the last few years and perhaps father time is catching up with him. In the end we all know that when healthy Youk can hit...what we don't know is will Middlebrooks be able to make the nessesary adjustments once the opposition get a book on him and continue to hit...time will tell...
    Posted by Beantowne

When you look at his swing, and it's result, coupled with his MiLB results, there is no reason not to expect success. There is a srong correlation between MiLB results and MLB results. Everyone can throw out ancedotal stories about phenoms who never panned out, but the best predictor is their body of work in MiLB.

AGON:     MLB   .292  .510  .883
                  MiLB   .296  .448   .813
    Ortiz:       MLB   .285  .547  .926
                  MiLB   .310  .533  .916
    Pedroia    MLB   .305  ..465  .926
                  MiLB   .310  .533  .916
    Youk        MLB   .288  .547  .926
                  MiLB   .298  .441  .882
    Ells          MLB   .299  .450  .804
                  MiLB   .316  .427  .820
    Salty        MLB   .244  .410  .714
                 MiLB    .271  .458  .823
    Aviles      MLB    .286  .422  .738
                 MiLB     .297  .468  .805
    Ross      MLB      .261  .457  .729
                 MiLB     .274  .481  .825
    Middlebrooks MiLB  .276  .454  .787

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Right now everything says keep Middlebrooks at 3B, but that choice is not without consequences. 

If Youk becomes a backup, he won't play much, not with Ortiz at DH, AGon at 1B, and Middlebrooks at 3B.  And will the Sox keep Punto to backup at SS and 2B? 

One has to assume that, when healthy, Youk is still a good bat to put in the lineup, but where?  3B with Middlebrooks moving to SS?  Not likely. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Before we place #64 up on the facade next to # 8, 9 and 14, let's let him get around the league a couple times.

The future looks bright, but so did Ted Cox's 35 years ago.

For you younguns, Cox was a phenom (drafted ahead of Fred Lynn) and reached the Sox for a cup of coffee in Sept 1977.  He started his career 6 for 6 and finished the year hitting well over 300 in a dozen or so games.  He was packaged to Cleveland after that season as part of the Eckersley trade.  He lasted 5 years with 3 other clubs and hit .245/10/79.

Not saying Middlebrroks is Cox, just saying lets not start creating his bust for the Hall of Fame yet either.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Before we place #64 up on the facade next to # 8, 9 and 14, let's let him get around the league a couple times. The future looks bright, but so did Ted Cox's 35 years ago. For you younguns, Cox was a phenom (drafted ahead of Fred Lynn) and reached the Sox for a cup of coffee in Sept 1977.  He started his career 6 for 6 and finished the year hitting well over 300 in a dozen or so games.  He was packaged to Cleveland after that season as part of the Eckersley trade.  He lasted 5 years with 3 other clubs and hit .245/10/79. Not saying Middlebrroks is Cox, just saying lets not start creating his bust for the Hall of Fame yet either.
    Posted by illinoisredsox

That .245/10/79 were his career totals, not averages.

Sections
Shortcuts