It's Early, but Middlebrooks Can Hit - Youk rotational back up for 3B, 1B, DH if/when he returns

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: It's Early, but Middlebrooks Can Hit - Youk rotational back up for 3B, 1B, DH if/when he returns

In response to "Re: It's Early, but Middlebrooks Can Hit - Youk rotational back up for 3B, 1B, DH if/when he returns":
     When Middlebrooks hits it, it sounds different, Bill, check with Dad, but I think this kid is the next Tony C. Posted by YOUKILLUS20
    Yeah, I noticed that too, and the ball literally jumps off his bat. Its something you don't see every day. But I like the idea of using Youk as a rotating back up temporarily. He could greatly increase his trade value by showing he's healthy. Plus, if WM would happen to hit a cold streak, Youk would be there to help the team. But after WM really and totally proves himself, Youk is going to be gone. :-(

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Re: It's Early, but Middlebrooks Can Hit - Youk rotational back up for 3B, 1B, DH if/when he returns

In Response to Re: It's Early, but Middlebrooks Can Hit - Youk rotational back up for 3B, 1B, DH if/when he returns:
    I'd love to see this team get a legitimate shot: C   Lava 1B AGon 2B Pedey 3B Middle SS Iggy LF Youk CF Ells RF Sweeney DH Papi UT  Aviles OF Ross C   Salty or Shopp
    Posted by moonslav59

I agree Moon.....would love to see it. I am ok with Aviles at SS, if the FO does want to go all out with the Rooks. I said last week that if you can get Wally Pip Youk to be ok with it, he fits a utility role well....Backup for Agon....Backup for Papi.....Backup at 3B....LF for home games should be doable for him...maybe not in some of the larger outfields. He would get plenty of AB's and maybe with the reduced work load at 3B, he could stay healthier. In the long run, if he accepted it and performed well, it would only help his marketability when we dont pick up his option. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: It's Early, but Middlebrooks Can Hit - Youk rotational back up for 3B, 1B, DH if/when he returns":
    Before we place #64 up on the facade next to # 8, 9 and 14, let's let him get around the league a couple times. The future looks bright, but so did Ted Cox's 35 years ago. For you younguns, Cox was a phenom (drafted ahead of Fred Lynn) and reached the Sox for a cup of coffee in Sept 1977.  He started his career 6 for 6 and finished the year hitting well over 300 in a dozen or so games.  He was packaged to Cleveland after that season as part of the Eckersley trade.  He lasted 5 years with 3 other clubs and hit .245/10/79. Not saying Middlebrroks is Cox, just saying lets not start creating his bust for the Hall of Fame yet either. Posted by illinoisredsox
    Agreed. He looks like a great one, but let's give it some time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Youk "Wally Pipp" "Tough Guy" needs to either be traded for whatever we can get or be that 24th or so guy on the bench. Pure and simple. Give Middlebrooks 3B and let him do his thing all year and going forward.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallyac. Show wallyac's posts

I dont pray much, but i will pray none of you become GM of the sox anytime soon. Also, most of you seem to think the GM's of the other teams are stupid or something. Youk is hurt right now and is not going to bring a front line player right now, and he is the type of player that plays hard and gets injuried. I hope not, but as soon as Middlebrook  goes into a slump, i will be reading here for him to be benched or sent back to Paw.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In Response to Re: It's Early, but Middlebrooks Can Hit - Youk rotational back up for 3B, 1B, DH if/when he returns:
    Youk "Wally Pipp" "Tough Guy" needs to either be traded for whatever we can get or be that 24th or so guy on the bench. Pure and simple. Give Middlebrooks 3B and let him do his thing all year and going forward.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor

I agree with that, and soon i think LAVA should be brought up also, time for him to get his feet wet.....Smile

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickterpaul. Show rickterpaul's posts

The thing about Middlebrooks is to see how he does once pitchers figure out how to pitch him -- then he'll get a steady diet of whatever gives him trouble.  If he learns how to adjust and still hits well, then we really have something.  Also, he's had a few mental mistakes (for example, not running out the fly down the LF line that fell fair & the bad throw up the RF line last night that he probably should have held onto) that can be shrugged off as rookie mistakes if they don't become a trend.

Assuming Youk gets healthy again, it all depends on how the Red Sox are doing and how Middlebrooks is adjusting at the plate.  If the Red Sox climb back in it and Middlebrooks starts going 0-4 every night, Youk is back at third and Middlebrooks is back in Pawtucket learning how to hit a curveball or whatever. If Middlebrooks is still on fire when Youk comes back and/or the Red Sox are still in the cellar, then it's a platoon situation for as long as it takes to showcase Youk for a trade -- you don't pay a guy $12million to be a fill-in 1B/3B/DH.

That said, Youk's value won't be anywhere near as high as it was a year or so ago -- his history of injuries is a red flag and he is getting older at 33.  You won't get a raft of top prospects for him, but you might get something decent from a contending team desperate for an option at third or first to put them over the top.  But the "rotational" idea is not going to fly -- if he's healthy, Youk is much more valuable at the trade deadline than as a fill-in.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

i want to see what happens when pitchers start adjusting to him if he makes the proper adjustments

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

i have no problem with a team giving a position to a young guy who has tons of potential like middlebrooks.  lots of teams do this although it has not been the  way the sox seem to deal with young players for the most part.

what to do with youkilis is a problem, however.  with his health over the last 2-3 years he is probably a DH/first baseman at best, but those spots are pretty well filled in boston.  he is certainly not a left fielder.

youk's health and contract are why he will very likely not bring much in trade.  the idea of getting a front line starter is nice, but not very likely.

so, just a thought...can middlebrooks play left field?  crawford is likely to need surgery and not play all year. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Anyone can play LF at fenway park, but not on the road.  That is the biggest problem.  Maybe Boston should try to find out more about what is really wrong with A-Gonz.  IF there is something wrong with him, keep using him until Youkilis comes off of the DL, and then put Agonz on the DL.  So that way Middlebrook will have another 20 plus days to keep playing at the major league level.  And for Youkilis, he can play at 1B at the same time Boston hope his value increase once he start hitting well and play good defense at 1b.  If Middlebrook continues to play well, he got to stay on the roster.  Someone got to be the odd man out.  
    It would be nice to trade Papi, and keep Youkilis just to bat DH.  Then either Middlebrook or AGonz ever need a rest, Youkilis can take their spot. That is what I alway wanted to see it happen.  But now Papi is on the fire while Youkilis is playing his worst season ever. 

Really we need to find out what is really wrong with Agonz before if we all want to see Youkilis to be trade.   AGonz have not been honoring his contract!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Right now everything says keep Middlebrooks at 3B, but that choice is not without consequences.  If Youk becomes a backup, he won't play much, not with Ortiz at DH, AGon at 1B, and Middlebrooks at 3B.  And will the Sox keep Punto to backup at SS and 2B?  One has to assume that, when healthy, Youk is still a good bat to put in the lineup, but where?  3B with Middlebrooks moving to SS?  Not likely. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

Well, if he keeps making errant throws to first, then maybe he should move to LF. He has a good glove but he needs work on his throwing accuracy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Compare the lines for the the first four MLB games of 23-year-old thirdbasemen making MLB debuts in May:

Player A .429/.500/.857/1.357
    Player B .381/.409/.952/1.361

Player A is Mark Reynolds in 2007 and Player B is Will Middlebrooks in 2012.

Mark Reynolds might be a reasonable projection for Will Middlebrooks, although Middlebrooks struck out at a higher frequency in the minors than Reynolds did.

The Sox could do worse.

Sections
Shortcuts