It's early May, but 2 Major Problems That Need a Correction, ASAP

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: It's early May, but 2 Major Problems That Need a Correction, ASAP

majorleague,

I'm just going to assume you're not very well informed????   No problem.  some guys just jump on & look at the stats as a snapshot of what's going on at the time.  Crawford has been on fire with the bat for the past 3 weeks!  PERIOD!  If you don't know that, ok....

As for his defense?????  Now that's an issue.  Not for the reasons you probably think.  RF at Fenway is probably the WORST LF in the majors for a guy like Crawford!  If that's your point, you're on to something!  OUR LF is WAY TOO SMALL for a guy with his speed.  His speed is HIS KEY attribute as an outfielder.  Fenway negates that almost completely!!!!  He DOES NOT get to run down balls that fans are used to seeing him run down.  His arm is marginal!  

One GOOD SOLUTION IMO is to move J.D. Drew to LF!!!!!!  Say what you will about Drew, but he is a VERY intelligent outfielder & would adapt to LF with few problems.  In fact, I think he would do a great job!!!!  Smart!  Not all that fast, but not slow...... Decent arm.  RF would give Crawford a bit more room to show his wares!!!
    TO ME...........  This seems like a no brainer!!!

Crawford one of our CURRENT BIG PROBLEMS?????   NOOOOOOOOOOO!  This is an opportunity, if management starts really thinking!  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I know many of you are thinking this sounds crazy & are ready to pounce......

OK!  But, I think if you were to give it some thought, it's really not a bad idea at all.  Yes!  He's a true CF, Els. would probably have the same issues in LF.  J.D. Drew is a very good RFer, & I'm convinced that he could be an even better LF in Fenway.... Other parks???  I think he'd quickly make the adjustment....

OK..... It's a bit out of the box, but I've convinced myself.  I'm brilliant...........
    Ipso facto.......  I must be right!   :)  :)

Now there's something you can take shots at me for  :)

So what if I just thought this up on the can!  I do some of my best thinking there :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Have you been able to ignore Softy?

softy hasn't been civil to me in ages. I have returned fire more than I am proud of, but regret none of it as well. Recently, I have tried to let more go than in the past. You made some good points about the uselessness of it all. Now, I am trying to help you see the same thing is happening between you and Burrito.

It's up to you, but I'm just saying I prefer you channeling your energies to more constructive ideas.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Hey!  Because of all this infighting, you guys just missed the fact that I came up with THE SOLUTION to fix ALL OUR PROBLEMS!

or something?????   :)  :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

sorry

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

p.s.   I was the middle child who would yell at my parents when they started arguing.....

:)

Now kiss & make up....  You both have good BASEBALL opinions

Plus....... You're both amongst the elite baseball fans........   Sox fans  :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Not saying I don't do it either...... andrewmitch has set me off.........

Sorry andrewmitch!  I really only think you're an idiot most of the time.  :)

kidding........  :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Crawford is batting .356 over the past 11 games.  What kind of correction are you calling for?

Is baseball, 11 games without the other games is hardly a fair look at how pitiful Crawford has been. But, let's pretend he is hitting .356. His defense is terrible.

And for the loser who talks about Fenway, Crawford has played there for years. Now, what's your excuse for his lousy defense in Toronto?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yeah, maybe the manager should yell at Crawford and tell him to go back and redo April.

The issue debated here was if Tito should talk to Crawford and tell him to step it up. He has stepped it up the last couple weeks, so tell us, old wise one, what a "talking to" would accomplish at this point.

As your buddy law used to say, "Please, try to follow along".

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Crawford hasn't stepped up anything. His defense is lousy and he gets thrown out in a recent tie game. He has the enthusiasm and energy level of an FDA worker.

Please remember to get help for your cognition problems. Gold gloves don't mean "nothing", and Jeter has ever, ever been a good defensive SS with 5 gold gloves voted on by managers and coaches from other teams.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: It's early May, but 2 Major Problems That Need a Correction, ASAP:
    [QUOTE]1) Crawford has hit .333/.360 the last 14 days. I don't see the need to tell him to "step it up". 2) I doubt telling any player to "step it up" will make any difference in their future production. My two suggestions: 1) Break the paradigms.        A) This whole L-R-L fixation is way out of hand. Ellsbury hits lefties as well as righties, so Tito should put Ellbury & Crawford back-to back. I'd try Ellsbury-Crawford 1-2 and move Pedey down to 6 or 7 for a bit.        B) The whole set-slot for each player has failed. Crawford hitting best in the 8 slot should prove to everyone that it's not as big a deal as you guys think it is. 2) Time to DL Lackey and use Aceves or Wake for 3-4 straight starts and see if they can get in a groove. Stop jerking them into different roles.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]I am not so high on Crawford hitting 2nd based on what I have seen with the naked eye. It first pretty much dictates that Youk moves to 3 and A-gon to 4 and then puts Ortiz behind A-Gon. Also even as Crawford is coming out of it his PAs tend to be shorter as he is a very free swinger. Hit and run with Crawford IMO is a pure gut hunch that he will make contact.

Now burying Crawford at 8 with Tek or Salty behind him does not feel like it is the long term best use either. But this question just illustrates regardless of the money committed (which is a whole other head scratching argument) what a puzzling addition he was to this roster.

We throw around the DL as though it is an the MLB equivalent of not dressing a NBA player. It isn't. While a team hasn't been called on it in my memory the rules require that the player have an actual problem requiring he be designated as disabled. It also requires the player be willing to "play along". Now close your eyes and see if you can envision John Lackey saying he is going to fake an injury so Tim Wakefield can pitch.

Once we get outside of the "vaccum of the moment" Lackey's last start would not have been a disaster if Tito had his BP with more rest because lackey would have done what we have any right to expect from Wake/Aceves. He ate innings and contained the damge to 4 runs.

The question with Lackey is just how much his personal issues are effecting his work and what is the best way to support his working through it. Is it challenging his role? Perhaps but the more likely conclusion IMO would be that the threat and or eventuality of Lackey being sent to the bullpen. Just don't see the very self-centered Lackey faking an injury to allow the RS to replace him in the rotation.

And the last question is what is better, getting Lackey on track or what we could expect from Aceves or Wake?   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Crawford hasn't stepped up anything. His defense is lousy and he gets thrown out in a recent tie game. He has the enthusiasm and energy level of an FDA worker.

He worked out more this past winter than you ever have your whole life combined.

Please remember to get help for your cognition problems. Gold gloves don't mean "nothing", and Jeter has ever, ever been a good defensive SS with 5 gold gloves voted on by managers and coaches from other teams.

I guess you just showed your cognition problems with your double negatives and confusion on the meanings of ever and never.

Jeter is below average as a fielding SS. He makes the highlights because he plays for the Yanks, and gets voted on name recognition based on his offense alone.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

He worked out more this past winter than you ever have your whole life combined

Tiger Woods worked out a lot this past winter. Your point?

Jeter doesn't get managers and coaches from other teams to vote 5 gold gloves because he plays for the Yanks. Give it up, you are delusional.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: It's early May, but 2 Major Problems That Need a Correction, ASAP:
    [QUOTE]Youk and Pedroia are performing better than Lackey and Crawford, offensively and defensively, and are paid a lot less. Crawford's defense is lousy and he's not exactly lighting up the bases when he does get on. Saying nothing to these two guys, and doing nothing, certainly isn't working. "In your face" has been known to have a positive result on FA prima donnas. Lackey was brought in to give the pitching staff quality performance depth. He's been a disaster. Crawford was brought in to give the defense a big boost and give the offense a great all around hitter and run scorer. He's been a total early disaster. This isn't the 20 game of the season. These two guys need to either get it together or sit on the bench and decide if they are motivated enough to perform professionally. This team is not "a bunch of idiots". It's a bunch of overpaid prima donnas who need a little verbal reminding that only goes away when they start doing the jobs they were paid to do.
    Posted by majorleague[/QUOTE]

If those are your solutions then Im so pleased your just a lonley poster on this board and not the manager..I think Moon has some great ideas...as usual.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

20 million BA .218  OBP .255 SLG .303

That was your original complaint..You have been proven wrong and now you run to whine about CC's defense because you CANT defend your original complaint...

Lackey and Crawford are past the need for a friendly reminder. One morth or not, these two players need to be told to step it up or find a place on the zero confidence DL and rehab.

CC has "stepped it up" the last 3 weeks with the bat...which was YOUR complaint..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

My original complaint was Crawford with an OBP under. 300 and a BA that is embarrassing. End of story.