Its middlebrook time.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Its middlebrook time.....

Sox need to get what they can for Youk&Punto, a pithcher not from Theo,s Flubs.
     Youk hitting 174. will not get much better, trade him before ends up on the shelf
     for 60 days. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: Its middlebrook time.....

And what can you possibly get out of a injury prone 3B vet who's hitting .174?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

The Cubs got Michael Bowden for an injury prone CF vet hitting .070.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Middlebrooks is not ready, and giving up on Youk is idiotic.  Even in last year's down year, he had a .987 OPS vs left-handers.  I can't believe the level of dis-respect he gets on this board.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In Response to Re: Its middlebrook time.....:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Its middlebrook time..... : So....you saying he will finish the year below .200? Would love to make a bet on that. I am sure you also wanted Ortiz traded a few years back as well...
    Posted by thepeskypole6[/QUOTE]

Thats a possibility, i would rather have a 3b with some Pop in his bat then watch  Youk struggle al year, and no never wanted Ortiz traded, not until after this season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]The Cubs got Michael Bowden for an injury prone CF vet hitting .070.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

So you think Youk is worth Michael Bowden?  And Bowden owns career ERA of 5.61 and 1.584 WHIP.  Please don't say that's enough for Youk...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

It's as if you don't even know that Bowden was put on waivers b4 the trade was ever made.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Its middlebrook time..... : It's as if you don't even know that Bowden was put on waivers b4 the trade was ever made.
    Posted by stillallbost08[/QUOTE]

It's as if you don't know that the red sox had the option of restoring him to the active roster.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Its middlebrook time..... : So...you want Youk gone because he is struggling but you never wanted Ortiz gone three years ago when he was REALLY struggling? What was the difference?
    Posted by thepeskypole6[/QUOTE]

Thats right, also looking forward to seeing Kalish and Igy soon, Ortiz hits long ball,
     Youk gets ingrown facial hair 15 day DL.........

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Let's trade Youk for Alex Rios.  He's off to a hot start in 50 ABs, so we should ignore the fact that he was the cr8ppiest OF in the previous 550. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

First of all, Bowden suck!!  And also Cubs is paying most of Byrd's salary.  So meaning, it is an evenly payroll trade for both team.  Byrd will be a free agent after this season while Bowden's contract is good until 2018.

To trade Youkilis, it is too early to say.  Who know he would probably a better of DH hitter for next season while he can back up 3B and 1B.  Since he moved to 3B, his hitting have been on decline.  Who know he would be one of the better DH hitter in the league next year.

I would keep him unless Youkilis tell the team that he would like to test the free agent market.  Then I could trade him, but Youkilis stated that he would like to be a Red Sox player forever!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]First of all, Bowden suck!!  And also Cubs is paying most of Byrd's salary.  So meaning, it is an evenly payroll trade for both team.  Byrd will be a free agent after this season while Bowden's contract is good until 2018. To trade Youkilis, it is too early to say.  Who know he would probably a better of DH hitter for next season while he can back up 3B and 1B.  Since he moved to 3B, his hitting have been on decline.  Who know he would be one of the better DH hitter in the league next year. I would keep him unless Youkilis tell the team that he would like to test the free agent market.  Then I could trade him, but Youkilis stated that he would like to be a Red Sox player forever!!
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

Bowden looked a lot better than Melancon or Albers this year.  And now he looks better than Padilla, who we always knew had character issues.   I'm not saying he was going to make us forget Papelbon, but he had a good spring and was an effect closer at Pawtucket last year - he could have helped this team a lot more than some of the clowns sitting in that bullpen right now.  He's 25 years old - this would have been a great year to gauge his potential, instead of p1ss him away for a has-been OF mired in the worst slump of his life.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Its middlebrook time..... : Bowden looked a lot better than Melancon or Albers this year.  And now he looks better than Padilla, who we always knew had character issues.   I'm not saying he was going to make us forget Papelbon, but he had a good spring and was an effect closer at Pawtucket last year - he could have helped this team a lot more than some of the clowns sitting in that bullpen right now.  He's 25 years old - this would have been a great year to gauge his potential, instead of p1ss him away for a has-been OF mired in the worst slump of his life.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

what was your original point though?  that the Red Sox could get someone of Bowdens caliber for Youk?  If so it wasn't a very strong reason to trade him. the Red Sox obviously didn't like Bowden a whole lot. He has been up every year for the last five years and has never stuck.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Bowden was DFA'd. He would have been claimed for nothing 4 days later.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

The fix for the Sox means finding a pitcher to come in and take the #1 slot in the rotation. I just don't see the Sox having the goods to make a deal for this type of pitcher. Someone like Cole Hamels during free agency next winter would be exactly what they need. I'm afraid that 2012 is going to be a struggle all season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

In Response to Its middlebrook time.....:
    [QUOTE] Sox need to get what they can for Youk&Punto, a pithcher not from Theo,s Flubs.  Youk hitting 174. will not get much better, trade him before ends up on the shelf  for 60 days. 
    Posted by 56redsox[/QUOTE]
    Yes, it's definitely time for Middlebrooks.  In fact we shouldn't even try to get anything in return for Youk, just cut him.  The fact that Middlebrooks has been tearing it up for exactly 18 games should not deter us from swift action on this front.  The fact that Middlebrooks last full season assignment was at AA and that his AA OPS was roughly equivalent to Youk's OPS in his awful down year of 2011 also should not be used as an excuse to delay.  Don't wait for one hot streak and one cold streak to converge.  Take action now while small sample size stats still support.

This is my new SSSSSS doctrine.  Be sure to read the next exciting move from the SSSSSS committee: "Why Nick Punto should bat lead off."

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Its middlebrook time..... : what was your original point though?  that the Red Sox could get someone of Bowdens caliber for Youk?  If so it wasn't a very strong reason to trade him. the Red Sox obviously didn't like Bowden a whole lot. He has been up every year for the last five years and has never stuck.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

No, I was being facetious - the same posters wanting to trade Youk for getting off to a bad start are willing to give up a bullpen arm for a guy off to a horrendous start.  Youk may not be 100%, but he has tremendous upside.  Byrd is at best average, and has a long way to go to get there.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

i can't give up on youkilis yet.  he has been too good for too long to quit on him after only 15 games.  he will get it figured out and make a contribution this year.

bowden for byrd is a good deal considering chicago is paying most of byrd's salary.  byrd can at least field and is going to be a much better contributor than repko, and probably better than mcdonald, too before the season is over.

bowden was going to be given away for nothing (as someone else mentioned) so improving the outfield mix for bowden was a good idea.