It's Official: "Bradley will start in left field on Monday against the Yankees!"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Re: It's Official:

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

In response to donrd4's comment:

Historic season to follow....

Are your pants wet ?  relax.... Dam  ! guys need to grow up.....

If yours aren't, you're no Sox fan :)

If you can't get overly excited about this, you have no RS pulse.

+1

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Why did they wait til the last day.  I think the buzz could have been bigger.

They needed to clear a roster spot. Not sure if you noticed, but Mauro Gomez was DFA'd to make room.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

They needed to clear a roster spot. Not sure if you noticed, but Mauro Gomez was DFA'd to make room.

I don't like the DFAing of Gomez when Hassan has not exhibited he can perform at this level. Gomez may not see Monday midnight--I hope he gets through waivers--comments about this kid being a AAAA may be right--but MVP at the AAA level is a pretty good fete. If he goes I hope he catches on and gets a chance to play at the MLB level.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

I don't like the DFAing of Gomez when Hassan has not exhibited he can perform at this level. Gomez may not see Monday midnight--I hope he gets through waivers--comments about this kid being a AAAA may be right--but MVP at the AAA level is a pretty good fete. If he goes I hope he catches on and gets a chance to play at the MLB level.

He just hits and hits and hits. Meanwhile Hassan hasn't shown much beyond a good batting eye. Hassan is younger though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Good point!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Good point!

dummy

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Good point!

dummy

I know!  I feel so foolish....  I'm taking a power nap with my wife!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

JBJ should be the starting CF'er.

I knoiw, I know, in the interest of "team chemistry" we should configure a worse positioned team. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I knoiw, I know, in the interest of "team chemistry" we should configure a worse positioned team. 

Els in left then?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from upperco1. Show upperco1's posts

With Ellsbury"s arm he may be in center AT Fenway

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

What do you base that on ? Ellsbury is a gold glove center fielder .  Bradley may be better , but how would you know ? How many games have you seen JBJ play in center ?  From all accounts , he has a better arm.  But how can you say that his range or hands are better than Ellsbury's ?  One minute you want Bradley sent back to AAA , then you want him displacing one of the recognized best center fielders in the game.  To install Bradley in center , and move Ellsbury to left would be disruptive and demoralizing. It makes no sense and will not be done.  Jackie made the team ( deservedly so ) for his hitting. You need to control your biases and try to be more sensible and objective. The Sox best outfield configuration at present is Bradley in left , Ellsbury in center and Shane in right.  That should be obvious to any sensible observer. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What do you base that on ? Ellsbury is a gold glove center fielder . 

And Jeter won a GG recently, so what? 

Bradley may be better , but how would you know ?

Because Ellsbury is not as good as many think he is, and Bradley is a tremendous CF'er on D. Defense in the minors transfers to the bigs much more than offense.

How many games have you seen JBJ play in center ? 

Enough. And, enough bad breaks and wrong routes by Jacoby, not to mention a weak arm in the vast Fenway CF, to know for certain, JBJ is a better fielder. But, let's keep repeating our failed past. Let's put the wrong players in the wrong positions, because they have an award. Let's play the big contract guys where they want, so they won't pout. Let's play Buckner at first so "he can be on the field to experience the glory".

From all accounts , he has a better arm.  But how can you say that his range or hands are better than Ellsbury's ? 

I don't have to say it, every scout says it for me. Plus, I have seen him play quite a bit. I summer in Maine.

One minute you want Bradley sent back to AAA , then you want him displacing one of the recognized best center fielders in the game. 

Come on! Stop the softy impersonation. I started a thread long ago saying I wanted Iggy and Bradley playing FT. I wanted Ellsbury traded before the season started. I want JBJ for the extra year of control as well. That's why I wanted him in AAA for 12 days- because I think more highly of him than some here, and I do not think we have much of a chance this year with or without JBJ. The two issues have nothing in common.

To install Bradley in center , and move Ellsbury.  to left would be disruptive and demoralizing.

Yeah, playing the best players where they belong is very demoralizing. This is the defeatist attitude that has gotten where we are today. Pamper, pamper, pamper.

It makes no sense and will not be done. 

I never said it would be done, but not because it makes no sense, but because Jacoby's ego is so fragile, he needs to be babied. If his ego is that fragile, why did we keep him here this year? If something that trivial will make him pout, then you think less of Jacoby than I do. Jacoby has played LF before- JBJ has not. JBJ is a fantastic fielding CF'er with excellent instincts, a much better arm, and is just plain better. I have no doubt.

Jackie made the team ( deservedly so ) for his hitting. You need to control your biases and try to be more sensible and objective.

Stop the lecturing. It is your bias on Ellsbury's fragility and a useless award that is coloring your and Ben's view.

The Sox best outfield configuration at present is Bradley in left , Ellsbury in center and Shane in right.  That should be obvious to any sensible observer. 

Yes, I am not sensible. Thanks for pointing it out, genius.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

Els in left then?

Yes.

He has experience there. JBJ does not.

He has one of the weakest arms of any CF'er in MLB. Bradley has a nice arm.

His GG award does not reflect the many late breaks on balls, wrong routed taken to balls hit his way, and generally poor OF instincts. His speed has saved him and made him into a plus CF'er the last 2 years, but he is nowhere near as good as JBJ in CF, just as Drew is not even close on D to Iggy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to prknsdnld's comment:

Historic season to follow....

Johnny Gomes must be pissed.....

He may thrive at DH.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What do you base that on ? Ellsbury is a gold glove center fielder . 

And Jeter won a GG recently, so what? 

Bradley may be better , but how would you know ?

Because Ellsbury is not as good as many think he is, and Bradley is a tremendous CF'er on D. Defense in the minors transfers to the bigs much more than offense.

How many games have you seen JBJ play in center ? 

Enough. And, enough bad breaks and wrong routes by Jacoby, not to mention a weak arm in the vast Fenway CF, to know for certain, JBJ is a better fielder. But, let's keep repeating our failed past. Let's put the wrong players in the wrong positions, because they have an award. Let's play the big contract guys where they want, so they won't pout. Let's play Buckner at first so "he can be on the field to experience the glory".

From all accounts , he has a better arm.  But how can you say that his range or hands are better than Ellsbury's ? 

I don't have to say it, every scout says it for me. Plus, I have seen him play quite a bit. I summer in Maine.

One minute you want Bradley sent back to AAA , then you want him displacing one of the recognized best center fielders in the game. 

Come on! Stop the softy impersonation. I started a thread long ago saying I wanted Iggy and Bradley playing FT. I wanted Ellsbury traded before the season started. I want JBJ for the extra year of control as well. That's why I wanted him in AAA for 12 days- because I think more highly of him than some here, and I do not think we have much of a chance this year with or without JBJ. The two issues have nothing in common.

To install Bradley in center , and move Ellsbury.  to left would be disruptive and demoralizing.

Yeah, playing the best players where they belong is very demoralizing. This is the defeatist attitude that has gotten where we are today. Pamper, pamper, pamper.

It makes no sense and will not be done. 

I never said it would be done, but not because it makes no sense, but because Jacoby's ego is so fragile, he needs to be babied. If his ego is that fragile, why did we keep him here this year? If something that trivial will make him pout, then you think less of Jacoby than I do. Jacoby has played LF before- JBJ has not. JBJ is a fantastic fielding CF'er with excellent instincts, a much better arm, and is just plain better. I have no doubt.

Jackie made the team ( deservedly so ) for his hitting. You need to control your biases and try to be more sensible and objective.

Stop the lecturing. It is your bias on Ellsbury's fragility and a useless award that is coloring your and Ben's view.

The Sox best outfield configuration at present is Bradley in left , Ellsbury in center and Shane in right.  That should be obvious to any sensible observer. 

Yes, I am not sensible. Thanks for pointing it out, genius.

You know what ?  You just can't take it .  You like to see yourself as the " leader " of this board. The elder statesman , if you will.  Well , I , for one , don't buy it.  Your opinion is no more valid than anyone else's is.  All your pontificating and self promoting does not impress me at all. It is just your opinion. And , I have mine. And others have theirs.  So , a gold glove does not matter  because you have seen some games while " summering " in Maine ?  Give me a break. You just don't like being challenged. And your ultimate response is to be sarcastic and call me " genius ."  And bringing Buckner into it is ridiculous.  Moonslav , you need to understand that you are no more important here than the rest of us.  Please stop with the pompous attitude.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

It's clear the Red Sox aren't trading Ellsbury. Without the draft compensation, even if he plays well, no team will offer anything worth taking, now. The Red Sox no longer have any stake in how they use Ellsbury. 

That said, I'd like to see Bradley play some CF this season. Given the status quo, it makes more sense to get a better arm in LF. CF is more of a relay slot, not that a good arm isn't a bonus out there.

Management should pay attention to matuchups and how Bradley and Ellsbury and Shane are performing at the plate. They should make adjustments as needed, from time to time. This would mean being flexible enough to rotate Gomes into the smaller corner OF position and split the time for whichever one of the three is scuffing, with the odd man out coming in as needed for defensive purposes.

No player should be buried on the bench, and no player should be allowed to start for months without performing well enough.

The point of having 4 OFers, plus Nava, is to put the best combinations out there from game to game. Big mistake to just gift a season to assuage an ego.

Bradley's spot was earned, but not for the entire season. The same goes for the other two. How much they are paid should have nothing to do with how they are used or they playing time allocation.

I want professional management approach to this season, which should mean the manager is allowed to use the players how ever he sees fit. Ellsbury and his impending FA and pay rate should have nothing to do with where or when he's used. Same goes for anyone on the roster.  

That makes sense. You generally want your best arm in right , due to the long throw to third. Arm strength in center, versus left,  is not so important, especially in Fenway, where a good arm in left is an asset. I have no favorites on this team.  And , I have no whipping boys either. I just try to be objective. I am happy that Bradley made the team and was not demoted to save money six long years from now. I am well satisfied , as I am sure he is , to have him in left at this point. It gives us an excellent defense.  It is not about anyone's ego.  Farrell's  job is at stake.  I would think he would do what he thinks is best , and not worry about other considerations.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Bradley will go 2-3 with two triples... then he will go to 0-10 causing panic en masse before he settles down and has a great year.

He is starting off against one of the toughest lefties in the game. No question but he will have some problems adjusting. However , he looks to me like a future star. The sky is the limit for this kid. Fans need to give him a chance. Don't kill him if he struggles a bit at first. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Much credit is due this FO and Farrell for making this "tough call."

I think it was a no brainer, but I respect the fact that it could well be burning a year of control, especially when it becomes (hopefully} impossible to send him down.

I think this significantly changes our chances for the entire year.  We're in the hunt. 

Here's to a potentially GREAT season!  :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You know what ?  You just can't take it . 

No, you are the one that can't stand someone with another view and who defends it.

You like to see yourself as the " leader " of this board. The elder statesman , if you will.  Well , I , for one , don't buy it. 

Wrong. softy has the seniority and most posts. notin is a much better and more knowledgeable poster than I, and many more are as good or better- some have left.

Your opinion is no more valid than anyone else's is. 

When did I say it was? You were the one that went up one side of me and down the other, because I dared say I am 100% confident that Bradley is a better fielder than Ellsbury. Rock the heavens! Blasphemy!

All your pontificating and self promoting does not impress me at all. It is just your opinion. And , I have mine. And others have theirs.  So , a gold glove does not matter 

I have held this view long before Ellsbury won the GG. The award has been given to a player who played 15 games at the position. Jeter winning it a few years back while being the worst regular fielding SS in the past 5-10 years says it all. (BTW, I also don't value the MVP award after Pedro did not win and wasn't even on some guy's ballot). Besides, even if Ellsbury deserved the award, does that mean Bradleys till can't be better?

because you have seen some games while " summering " in Maine ?  Give me a break.

That and the fact that every single scoout says this guy has excellent instincts, has quick breaks, and is a stud in the OF, but I guess you have seen more games than them, and are the expert.

You just don't like being challenged. And your ultimate response is to be sarcastic and call me " genius ." 

Go back and read your own pompous post. It was not a "challenge", it was a slam. I returned in kind, a weakness of mine, and now it is you who is showing you can't handle your own styled challenge.

And bringing Buckner into it is ridiculous.  Moonslav , you need to understand that you are no more important here than the rest of us.  Please stop with the pompous attitude.

The Buckner reference was valid. It shows that this team has always seemed to value pampering high-priced stars more than putting the best players on the field, at the right positions, for a long long time.

I could be wrong, and you could be right. Moving Ellsbury to LF, could shatter his ego, and he'd pout all season and overshadow the gain we get with JBJ's defense in CF and a more experienced LF'er in LF. We will never find that out, however, so you win.

I am no more important than anyone else here, and if you want to see pompousness- look in the mirror. You are hardly ever accepting of opposing views. You often seem offended that someone has an opposite view.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

That makes sense. You generally want your best arm in right , due to the long throw to third. Arm strength in center, versus left,  is not so important, especially in Fenway, where a good arm in left is an asset.

It is my opinion, that a strong arm in Fenway's LF is less important than a field with a deeper LF.

Sections
Shortcuts