Its Official: Dice K will undergo tommy john surgery

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Its Official: Dice K will undergo tommy john surgery

With the news that dice k will indeed undergo tommy john surgery which essentially will end his redsox career, the sox need to get someone to replace him. We cannot stick with wakefield for the rest of the season if we expect to make the playoffs. He pitched poorly today and is just not a reliable starter. he is a good #6 starter and that should be his role. The question is who can we get? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Its Official: Dice K will undergo tommy john surgery

I think you let Wake or Aceves go til something else comes up. Andrew Miller, Although a few too many walks, has great numbers. And for all the walks he has, not a lot of them have scored. I dont know if you will be able to get a significant upgrade without giving up too much in a trade. Although they do have some extra pieces and i believe Reddick might be up, amongst other reasons, for a showcase. A few teams have inquired about him earlier in the year and his value has gone up some with his solid performance this year. Id have to dig for the article, but I know I read and/or heard it by like Gammons or someone. Im not sure wake can go all year and Aceves is still a ? IMO. Too bad Dice-K's time in Boston was not a better one for himself, the fans, and the Boston Red Sox organization. I do wish him well and one day to see him pitch again..Probably be better in the NL or Japan though.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We are going to miss Dice-K. This is a big loss.

I'm glad we kept as many options as possible early April.

Let the rumors start...

Trade: 
    JD Drew (1/2 of remaining $14M salary), Reddick, Navarro, and Doubront

to MN

For:
    Michael Cuddyer $10.5M
    (.859 career OPS vs LHPs/.803 oveall in High Leverage)
    and Scott Baker $5M, 6.5M, team option at $9.25M

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Millwood update

Millwood lasted 2 1/3

His line: 5 hits/ 4 runs all earned/ 2 BB/ 3 k's/ era 9.26.

Left trailing 4-0

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

It is the surgery that McAdam and most Red Sox fans have been hoping for. The news that DiceK is on the shelf will bring euphoria for most Red Sox fans. He is the man who came from Japan, nibbled and put fans to sleep, and arrogantly refused to learn the langauge. The man who did not produce hardly any quality starts and who drained the bullpen, and who drained the posting fee away to inferior Japanese baseball. 

2007  15 wins 204.2 Innings Pitched 4.40 ERA  (Championship Season)
             4th in Rookie of Year Voting

2008  18 wins 167.2 Innings Pitched 2.90 ERA  (ALCS 7 Games Loss to Rays)
             4th in Cy Young Award Voting

2009  4 wins 59.1 Innings Pitched  5.76 ERA  (2009 ALDS Swept by Angels)

2010  9 wins 153.2 Innings Pitched 4.69 ERA (2010 Failed to Make Playoffs)

2011  3 wins 37.1 Innings Pitched 5.30 ERA (?)

49 Wins 622.2 Innings Pitched  4.25 ERA

Bye-Bye Rice K

Make way for the Innings Eater, the great guy, Tim Wastefield, the quintessential quality performing workhorse who understands and appreciates the fans.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

I'm glad we kept as many options as possible early April.

Name the names of the "many options as possible". You only mean one name, and that is Tim Wastefield. The countless other options are too many to name.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Bowden is a possibility. Douby. The need might depend on Lackey and his elbow issue. It's not like they lost a front-line starter. They lost back-end pitching depth.
    Much easier to replace.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Wastefield is DiceK's insurance, AAA rated.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

moonslav59 i agree that the twins could be a good match. I dont think we would have much interest in cuddyer and i would take my chances and see if we could get liriano for cheap and see if we could turn him around. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

100 mil was Dice-K's insurance.
    Wake has been pitching in Boston long before Dice got here.
    In fact, Dice was 13 years old when Wake started his RedSox career.

Wake outlasts Dice, among many others.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

In Response to Re: Its Official: Dice K will undergo tommy john surgery:
    Millwood update Millwood lasted 2 1/3 His line: 5 hits/ 4 runs all earned/ 2 BB/ 3 k's/ era 9.26. Left trailing 4-0
    Posted by pinstripezac32

Thanks for the uplifting update, zac. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

It's June, so 1/2 of JD's salary isn't anything. No way do the Twins have one iota of interest in JD Drew, and they aren't going to take him just to get the star studded list of rising stars................

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

I think you let Wake or Aceves go til something else comes up. Andrew Miller, Although a few too many walks, has great numbers. And for all the walks he has, not a lot of them have scored. I dont know if you will be able to get a significant upgrade without giving up too much in a trade. Although they do have some extra pieces and i believe Reddick might be up, amongst other reasons, for a showcase. A few teams have inquired about him earlier in the year and his value has gone up some with his solid performance this year. Id have to dig for the article, but I know I read and/or heard it by like Gammons or someone. Im not sure wake can go all year and Aceves is still a ? IMO. Too bad Dice-K's time in Boston was not a better one for himself, the fans, and the Boston Red Sox organization. I do wish him well and one day to see him pitch again..Probably be better in the NL or Japan though.
    Posted by southpaw777

That part sounds just like dice-k, circa 2008 anyway. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

It's June, so 1/2 of JD's salary isn't anything. No way do the Twins have one iota of interest in JD Drew, and they aren't going to take him just to get the star studded list of rising stars................
    Posted by SoxSoldRed

These days, I hate to agree with you on anything, but you are right that the Twins wouldn't have any interest in JD Drew at almost any price, especially if they're 15.5 games out of first. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

That part sounds like Tim Wastefield, circa his entire career, anyway.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Dice:    4.4 BB's per 9 IP
    Wake: 3.4 BB per 9 IP

These are career numbers...anyway.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=796421e20619d2c87c47a66913dcf482&plckUserId=796421e20619d2c87c47a66913dcf482">User Image
    dgalehouse wrote:
    I think we have seen the last of Daisuke. He had his moments, but overall , he has to be considered as a disappointment and certainly not nearly worth the money spent. A big mistake, but time to move on. Wakefield is certainly not the answer, despite his many loyal fans. Let's face facts. A realistic evaluation would show that Wake has nothing to offer.  Aceves was horrible ,also. The signing of the washed up Millwood is the ultimate grasping at straws. Hopefully , Lackey can somehow do better than he has to date. The last starter would then have to come from Aceves, Doubront or Miller. The idea of trading Drew is incredibly naive. He has shown nothing and has a very high salary. No team is going to take that contract.  For the future, the team should at least consider converting Bard back to a starter.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

"A realistic evaluation would show that Wake has nothing to offer".

Dgalehouse

Does this "realistic evaluation" refer to how he's done since returning to the starting rotation?  2-0  3.21 ERA

Or does this "realistic evaluation"  cover his 195 wins  4.37 career ERA?

Exactly what do you feel is serviceable for a "#5" starter???

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=796421e20619d2c87c47a66913dcf482&plckUserId=796421e20619d2c87c47a66913dcf482 " /> dgalehouse wrote: I think we have seen the last of Daisuke. He had his moments, but overall , he has to be considered as a disappointment and certainly not nearly worth the money spent. A big mistake, but time to move on. Wakefield is certainly not the answer, despite his many loyal fans. Let's face facts. A realistic evaluation would show that Wake has nothing to offer.  Aceves was horrible ,also. The signing of the washed up Millwood is the ultimate grasping at straws. Hopefully , Lackey can somehow do better than he has to date. The last starter would then have to come from Aceves, Doubront or Miller. The idea of trading Drew is incredibly naive. He has shown nothing and has a very high salary. No team is going to take that contract.  For the future, the team should at least consider converting Bard back to a starter.
    Posted by dgalehouse

You paint a grim picture and then call these "facts" and "realistic evaluations."  If they are indeed "facts", then prove them as such; otherwise, they're just your opinions.  You make blanket statements about Wakefield based on his latest outing.  Do you have selective memory?  It is as equally misrepresentative as someone proclaiming that Aceves and Wakefield are now top of the rotation pitchers after their strong outings.  So what I'm saying is that Wakefield is likely to be a back end of the rotation starter that will have his ups and downs like he usually has.  It is not what the team planned on, but what else could you expect from an insurance starter?  Aceves might have more to offer as a starter than Wake, which is only speculative as well, but he is needed more in the pen.  Just think back to Monday's game.  If Aceves were available in the pen, it is more likely that Lester would have been lifted after the 5th. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

Good post and observations and you are spot on in your analysis of the Wakefield/Aceves conversation.  With the end of Dice K era at hand, it's more important that Lackey become at least a reliable 3 or 4, that Lester figures out what he needs to do to become Mr. Consistency again, that Beckett continues to build on a tremendous start to the season and that Buchholz gets on a positive roll like he did last year.  If the majority of those unknowns are answered positively and those guys remain healthy, the issue of whether or not Wakefield or Aceves should be the number 5 starter temporarily will be moot. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bramrok. Show bramrok's posts

who cares, dice k was a bust anyway

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Dice K won a World Series with the Sox.   Think that would get a shred of respect from you haters?   No, I forgot ... he is Japanese.  

If you want to hate, pick on Youk and PD.  They have been comic relief so far, causing most of the loses with ineptitude at the plate AND in the field.   Injuries?  maybe.  But you guys don't give slack to Dice K for injuries.   You gloat after what could be a career ending injury for the guy.  

You haters are sickos.  Plain and simple.   Who the hell would want to play in Boston with jackwad fans like you waiting for them?  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

TJ surgery means Matsuzaka out until at least mid-year of 2012.    Not that much in the way of free agent pitchers in the 2012 class.    No high risers in the farm system.   Looks like Wakefield for the long haul.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Dice:    4.4 BB's per 9 IP
    Wake: 3.4 BB per 9 IP

These are career numbers...anyway.
    ...and Wake's BB/9 has been 3.0, 3.0, 3.5, 2.3 and 2.3 the last 5 years.

2010 BB/9:
    Wake:  2.3
    Lack:   3.0
    Beck:   3.2
    Buch:  3.5
    Lest:    3.6
    Dice:    4.3

2011:
    Wake 2.3
    Beck  3.2
    Buch  3.3
    Lest   3.7
    Lack  4.1
    Dice  5.5

Funny how the clueless softy brought up the fact that Wake walks a lot, but when faced with the facts, sudddenly went silent on the subject ever since (not easy for the ole blowhard).

Just imagine if Wake had put up Dice-K's numbers and been on the DL as much as Dice-K since 2008, you think softy would have let it slide and defended him?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

I think we all knew this was coming, stay the course for now. Going into the season I labeled any additions from Dice as an bonus, we're getting 2 good starts from him this year oh well. Unless Theo can get a trade that he really, really thinks is a steal, I wouldn't go into "Trade for SP or season is lost" mode. What's really important is for Lackey, to come back strong. If Lackey can post numbers similar to last year, then he'll be a more than quality number four starter. We'd be able to expect quality starts from spots 1-4 each time they take the mound, and with Wake/Aceves as a number five guy we'd have a solid rotation.

Sections
Shortcuts