Its Official: Dice K will undergo tommy john surgery

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Its Official: Dice K will undergo tommy john surgery

I'm glad we kept as many options as possible early April.

Name the names of the "many options as possible". You only mean one name, and that is Tim Wastefield. The countless other options are too many to name.

Look it up yourself.

We've used 19 pitchers in just over a third of the season. We've had many DL stints and 5 guys with ERAs over 6.

We still have now seen your guy yet, Miller, but my bety is we will at some point, as well as a few more names before the season is over.

Of all the guys after the top 8-9 pitchers on this staff, Wake has proved to be one of the "best of the rest". We've used 10 pitchers to fill the last 2 staff slots with Wake, Aceves, Albers, and Hill all contributing greatly. With Jenks and Wheeler struggling or on the DL, we have needed more than those 3. Include Oki to make 4 and who is left that was a better option than Wake. Now that Dice is out and Lackey questionable, keeping Wake was a nonbrainer. Only the clown with no brain can look back at this point and see that Wake has not done well. He still thinks Miller would have done better.

Anyone but Wake, Jed and Jake is his motto.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I will miss Dice-K.  He isn't always reliable, but still better than the other options that we have currently.  Wakefield is ok, but can he last the entire season.  I knew that Dice-K would require this surgery, and was ridiculed by many Sox fans who told me that I was wrong.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Ian Browne of MLB.com reports that the Red Sox will meet with Daisuke Matsuzaka on Thursday to determine whether he will undergo Tommy John surgery.
    Various reports suggest that Matsuzaka is leaning towards surgery, but the Red Sox insist that no determination has been made. If Dice-K undergoes the surgery, he will be likely be sidelined until somewhere around the All-Star break next season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=0811c5d682d71c1176d7edba8f623cbf&plckUserId=0811c5d682d71c1176d7edba8f623cbf">
    First: 7/30/2005
    Last: 6/2/2011
    Dice K won a World Series with the Sox.   Think that would get a shred of respect from you haters?   No, I forgot ... he is Japanese.  

If you want to hate, pick on Youk and PD.  They have been comic relief so far, causing most of the loses with ineptitude at the plate AND in the field.   Injuries?  maybe.  But you guys don't give slack to Dice K for injuries.   You gloat after what could be a career ending injury for the guy.  

You haters are sickos.  Plain and simple.   Who the hell would want to play in Boston with jackwad fans like you waiting for them?  

Green grass, warm weather, Red Sox ... life is good.

I couldn't agree with you more. the haters make me sick to my stomach. the guy hurts his elbow and screwball ww2 pacific vets are jumping for joy.

and to Bill-806..........as my dad used to say, "stay the course son, they will right the ship." even after losing 4 in a row, we are only chasing 2 behind the you know who's.

let's take it out on the A's.
    WHAT SAY YOU BILL?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpanther98. Show bigpanther98's posts

When I evaluate players and whether they're worth the money, I look particularly at stats like WAR and ERA+ as they are indicative of a player's value vis-a-vis others in the league, including guys making $500,000. In Daisuke's case, his career ERA+ is 108, and his WAR is only 9.6 over 5 seasons (5.1 of them in 2008). I like the man, but unfortunately he has not been worth the money. I like him because "when he was good, he was very, very good, but when he was bad, he was horrid." To me, his brilliance at times was memorable. Whether he stays with the Sox or hooks on with another team, I'd like to see him turn it around and have a great season like he did in 2008. I enjoy pitchers making hitters look silly, and Daisuke would go on great strings like that. I'm the guy who, even though he's in the Yankees system, is rooting for Mark Prior to make a huge comeback. I enjoyed watching him when he was excellent and think it would be a great story if he came back to prominence. I wish the same of Matsuzaka.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wildcat66. Show wildcat66's posts

Pride34 -- how do you figure that Wake pitched "poorly" today?  But for a HORRIBLE umpiring call at second base on the Pedroia tag, he's out of the inning with no runs and still leading 3-1.  He would have been ahead 3-2 after 6 innings.  The bullpen continues to blow leads and Pap was not good at all yesterday.

In Response to Its Official: Dice K will undergo tommy john surgery:
    With the news that dice k will indeed undergo tommy john surgery which essentially will end his redsox career, the sox need to get someone to replace him. We cannot stick with wakefield for the rest of the season if we expect to make the playoffs. He pitched poorly today and is just not a reliable starter. he is a good #6 starter and that should be his role. The question is who can we get? 
    Posted by redsoxpride34

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpikeCunn5. Show SpikeCunn5's posts

I still haven't seen anything Official could you show me a link. All I have seen is rumors.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpanther98. Show bigpanther98's posts

Oh, and for those over the years who talked about Matsuzaka's 2008 as this overrated season, take a look at the ERA+ numbers for the end-of-season leaders in the AL-
    1.Lee (CLE)168
    2.Matsuzaka (BOS)160
    3.Halladay (TOR)152
    4.Lester (BOS)144
    5.Danks (CHW)138

In fact, since 2008, a pitcher has had an ERA+ >160 only nine times in MLB.  2008 was a really good season by any measure for a pitcher, I'm sorry.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

panther, where is Tim Wastefield, on that list?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

A poster bashed Matsuzaka for walking people. To then defend Wastefield because his career walks per 9 innings is one less than DiceK is typical. Both pitchers walked a lot of people, so lets make sure that Wastefield doesn't get a pass.

And stop using that tiny 2011 starter sample to brag about Wastefield. The guy was weak in his last start and pretended to pitch well, the John Slackey syndrome. He had almost 2 weeks off before he was put in the rotation, and has yet to sustain a sample size that even Enron would report to the SEC.

Every 5 days is the plan with Wastefield, with Tito knowing that will require an ambulance shuttle every 5 days to "mix and match" with Wastefield. Wastefield is what his ERA says he is, since the 2nd half of 2009. He stinks!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpanther98. Show bigpanther98's posts

Well, from 2006-present, Wakefield has ERA+ numbers of 103, 100, 112, 103, 82, and 93. So, he has been right around league average since he was 39. That's not too shabby. As for wins above replacement (WAR), since 2006, he has exactly 7 wins total above replacement with between 1-2 wins per season above the replacement. Is that worth $4 million a season during that time? You be the judge, but my feeling is that one could argue both ways.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

2009, 2nd half to present, his ERA is over 5. End of story.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpanther98. Show bigpanther98's posts

As for 2008 specifically, Wakefield isn't high up on WAR or ERA+ lists, but he is high up on the WHIP list for that year. He had a WHIP of 1.18, which is excellent.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

ERA, home and away, for the last 2 seasons is where the rubber meets the road. Wastefield and excellence do not belong in the same sentence.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpanther98. Show bigpanther98's posts

To be honest, Wakefield isn't as good or bad as either of you portray. Wakefield in 2010 had an ERA+ of 82 and a WAR of -0.7. That's pretty bad, but he also had a WHIP of 1.35, which isn't terrible. There were guys with that WHIP who had decent seasons. As for this season, Wakefield has an ERA+ of 93 and a WAR of 0.2, so he's right at league average, while his WHIP is 1.18, which is very good. So, as I said before, there is good and bad about Wakefield even in the last two years.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpanther98. Show bigpanther98's posts

I think the more appropriate question to ask is "how is he as a replacement for Matsuzaka?" Let's be realistic, the Sox aren't replacing him with Roy Oswalt. So, who can they turn to? They want someone with better numbers (I am under the firm belief that GMs put more weight in WAR, ERA+, and WHIP than they do in traditional ERA) than Matsuzaka, and Wakefield can give you that, albeit only a little. So, the next question is, do they go with the slight upgrade or a guy like Doubront, Aceves, Miller, etc. who has yet to prove himself completely? That's where good scouting and analysis come into play.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

In Response to Re: Its Official: Dice K will undergo tommy john surgery:
    2009, 2nd half to present, his ERA is over 5. End of story.
    Posted by SoxSoldRed

Sorry to tell you, Master Softlaw, but it's Dice's story with the Red Sox that has probably ended.

Tim Wakefield's story continues....

-Daf. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

This season he has sample size that is so small and includes weeks between mop-up duty and most of his few starts.

WHIP is more important for pen arms, and we both know Wastefield isn't any pen arm. WAR is meaningless when dealing with the retread line for bottom of the barrel starters, unless you are in San Diego, perhaps.

ERA over the equivalent of 2 seasons is a starter measure of import. Wastefield's ERA is over 5, during that time. Because Wastefield would refuse a AAA assigment if he cleared waivers, he would clear them for sure. That should tell you what stage of the career Wastefield is in. He is hanging around for two reasons:

1. He's popular with most Red Sox fans

2. Ownership and Management entertains notions that this roster squatter can remove Roger Clemens from the team wins record book. That's alright, but removing Cy Young isn't alright. In reality, none of it is alright. Any other pitcher who pitching like Wastefield since 2009 second half would be long gone and standing in line with Millwood.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I will miss Dice-K, especially the '07 season...He was a guy who ran his course and now is likely done as a Sox starter. Thank you Daisuke for your service as a Sox.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

four years of service, two good, two virtually useless, other than a serviceable start here and there. 100 million insurance policy, Henry will recover the posting fee and dice-k's contract.  Sianara

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

100 million insurance policy, Henry will recover the posting fee and dice-k's contract. Sianara

link ?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

100 million insurance policy, Henry will recover the posting fee and dice-k's contract. Sianara link ?
    Posted by pinstripezac32

this thread, 1st page,  10th post......ask harness, but i trust him. I also heard the same 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

harness where did you get this?

100 mil was Dice-K's insurance.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

Dice K won a World Series with the Sox.   Think that would get a shred of respect from you haters?   No, I forgot ... he is Japanese.   If you want to hate, pick on Youk and PD.  They have been comic relief so far, causing most of the loses with ineptitude at the plate AND in the field.   Injuries?  maybe.  But you guys don't give slack to Dice K for injuries.   You gloat after what could be a career ending injury for the guy.   You haters are sickos.  Plain and simple.   Who the hell would want to play in Boston with jackwad fans like you waiting for them?  
    Posted by soxmeister

I agree......... I am far more concerned with the inability for the Sox to be able to push even a single run across the plate late in a game than I am with the pitching........  I was not counting on much from Dice K this season in the first place. But, I was expecting our offsense to be able to consistently support our pitchers.  I am not as impressed with games we win 14-3...... as I am concerned about games we lose 3-2.......... This is not a new problem for the Sox, we have had this problem for many years now.  It's well beyond time someone asks why we can't do what the Yankees do almost every game.... Score what ever they need to score to win a game from the 7th inning on.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

The amazing thing about a Boras client is the severe difference our team doctors find and what Boras' doctors see. Beltran missed most of last season with the Mets with a knee injury that he was rehabbing 3/4 of the year. 
    Dice K was good in 2007 and 2008, shakey in 2009 and 2010. I am so glad that he pitched for Japan in the World Baseball Classic, that really helped the Red Sox out a lot. That did not help his arm out a lot either. I guess Dice K forgot who paid his salary. 

Sections
Shortcuts