It's official: Francona leaves Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Re: It's official: Francona leaves Red Sox

In Response to Re: It's official: Francona leaves Red Sox:
    This was the easy part.  The hard part is finding a new Manager.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

Francona is one of the best managers that the Red Sox have ever had.  He will be difficult to replace. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Dan Shaughnessy believes Red Sox owner John Henry has wanted to oust Terry Francona, and now he has his reason.
    Posted by 2004Idiots

Tito was not fired NO CREDIT NEEDED He left on his own.I think he had with this team more then anyone else.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannimota. Show mannimota's posts

I'll miss Tito, too.  He's a great guy and we're all grateful for what he did for the organization.  At some point, one's strengths/style become a liability.  Happened to Joe Torre and now to Tito.  Both classy gentlemen whose time ran its course.  No hard feelings, Tito, but it was time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lhtak. Show lhtak's posts

we all are going to miss him, but we needed this. If he does not leave there is no way this team is going go anywhere. He needed to be out, thanks for your past service Francona and good luck!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSNS14. Show RSNS14's posts

Disastrous. That's the only word that comes to mind. Managing a winning teaming this city takes a certain type of person. Tito was that person and proved it twice. He's going to be difficult if not impossible to replace. I've lost all faith in this ownership group. We're f u c ked.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

it was time for him to go...he isnt manager for life - just manager...our team was in decline for three years...he admitted he had lost the players - one thing for certain is when all this is in the rear view mirror, Francona will sleep well at night knowing he won two world series with a franchise that won nothing before him...that's got to make him feel good...and deservedly so

his press conference tonite was pure class

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: It's official: Francona leaves Red Sox : Perhaps. But it was obvious to me when Tito made his last or second to last weekly appearance on WEEI that he was so done with Boston. you did not hear it I think it was Ordway Tito up about "callers say it is because rest guys too often" and Tito just did not take his usual tact. He asked Ordway to tell him who! When Ordway said 'it is the callers who say it", Tito shot back and said "but you are aksing the question. So do you believe it and if you do, WHO?" Ordway took one more pass at it and Tito again pushed back hard. Between that and his rather short answers yesterday at the presser, you could tell Tito was pretty much sick and tired of it all. What I would not be surprised with is that both sides met today and exchanged thoughts. Tito wanted changes (player personnel), the management wanted changes (coaching staff). There wasn't enough common ground to stay together.   
    Posted by fivekatz

Yeah. From what I've heard, reading between the lines, I'd say this was close to what happened. I also think Geo has a point in that he lost (control of many of) his players.

Whoever said  this is the easy part  is wrong. A split after 8 years is not easy.
    Boston to a manager is an ulcer in the making.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: It's official: Francona leaves Red Sox : Yeah. From what I've heard, reading between the lines, I'd say this was close to what happened. I also think Geo has a point in that he lost (control of many of) his players. Whoever said  this is the easy part   is wrong. A split after 8 years is not easy. Boston to a manager is an ulcer in the making.
    Posted by harness

It's become like a Yankee Managerial post, and probably worse. You've got the prima-donna arrogant-out-of-shape-under-motivated-under-performing-grossly overpaid players-who think they can mail it in and can't be controlled (there are some exceptions; Pedroia & Pap - of all people, come to mind), with their wives, posse, groupies, wannabes, hanger ons, and pain-in-the-rear pushy agents, a diverse (personality wise, including a surly, unreasonable faction) and large international fan base, a difficult FO, intense pressure to win from all sides, and amongst the most critical sports media one can find in the world; it would be easier being President.

He looked really spent yesterday; he quit for the most part IMO. He decided enough. The only guy at this juncture who I can think of who can even partly put up with this, and he's probably too old, is Torre; another is Showalter, or LOL, Parcells, Rex Ryan, Bellichick or Lombardi.

Guys who DGAC what people think; including their bosses.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxWacko. Show RedSoxWacko's posts

This absolutely sucks, I don't like it one bit.

Thanks for the great years Tito! You will be missed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

I'm truly glad to read thoughtful posts here. I thought a lot of fans would be happy he is gone. This is a good move for him and the team for one reason... it's very hard to manage in a city like Boston after this collapse. Can you imagine the heat he'd get next August if the team lost three in a row?

That being said I can't wait for all of the "sit and spit" and Fran"coma" posters to complain about Tito's replacement. I guarantee the #1 complaint about the new manager will be "he over-manages." This is exactly what happened in NY when Torre left.

Was Tito perfect? Nope he probably let players roll on him and he made some questionable moves (don't all managers), but winning two WS is no fluke. He knows the game. Good luck to Tito and thanks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I'm not glad to see him go - he will forever be linked with great seasons.

It is tough to manage any team for a long run - and the Sox are even tougher to manage because of the pressure to win. 

It seems like Francona is the type of coach that wants self-motivated players who scrap and work hard.

he no longer has those kind of players - so it isn't working.  This collection is not the collection that he had success with.  The team is full of talent - but it is lazy talent that needs to be kicked in the rear end.

Tito isn't going to do that - he treats the players like men.  Doesn't want it any other way. 

I wish him the best of luck and thank him for great years.

Sections
Shortcuts