It's official. The Sox can't hit lefties.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

It's official. The Sox can't hit lefties.

The Rays have two of the best southpaws in the AL and both Moore and Price dominated in Fenway this week. Here are the slash numbers for 2013...

Team

RHP: .287/.357/.464/.821
    LHP: .249/.324/.388/.711

Saltalamaccia (B)

RHP: .275/.341/.485/.826
    LHP: .214/.313/.300/.613

Nava (B)

RHP: .282/.383/.428/.811
    LHP: .205/.296/.318/.614

Drew (L)

RHP: .251/.342/.425/.767
    LHP: .169/.241/.325/.566

Ortiz (L)

RHP: .356/.459/.686/1.144
    LHP: .267/.304/.448/.752

Inglesias (R)

RHP: .333/.375/.409/.784
    LHP: .362/.421/.464/.885

Ellsbury (L)

RHP: .319/.374/.472/.847
    LHP: .268/.350/.331/.681

Pedroia (R)

RHP: .300/.364/.406/.797
    LHP: .310/.420/.440/.860

Napoli (R)

RHP: .266/.346/.494/.839
    LHP: .267/.357/.436/.792

Gomes (R)

RHP: .261/.327/.413/.740
    LHP: .220/.328/.440/.768

Victorino (B)

RHP: .296/.333/.408/.742
    LHP: .266/.317/.372/.689

Middlebrooks (R)

RHP: .173/.209/.381/.591
    LHP: .234/.269/.406/.675

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: It's official. The Sox can't hit lefties.

Your numbers show 4 players who actually hit lefties better. Iglesias, Napoli, Middlebrooks,Pedroia.

Plus two lefthand batters who are not too bad ( Ellsbury-.268 and Ortiz-.267).

And Victornio ( switch hitter) who is decent at .266.

Surely it's not such a slow day that you can't do better than this.

"All the president is, is a glorified public relations man who spends his time flattering, kissing and kicking people to get them to do what they are supposed to do anyway." - Harry S. Truman

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Interestingly, here are some other numbers:

Runs scored vs...

RH'd starters: 370 in 70 games  or  5.29 runs per start

LH'd starters: 149 in 33 games  or   4.52 runs per start

While 0.77 is a significant differential, 4.5+ runs scored per game is a very decent number in MLB.

Sox4ever

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

The overall numbers don't lie. The Sox have struggled against good lefty pitching this season. What makes it frustrating is that two RH batters who they picked up to crush lefties (Napoli and Gomes) have not done so. They are both performing below their lifetime averages against lefties. It really doesn't make sense based on their past performance. Neither is slugging against lefties as well as their career numbers would have you think they could.

"Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong."
    - Thomas Jefferson

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Runs scored vs...

While 0.77 is a significant differential, 4.5+ runs scored per game is a very decent number in MLB.

Sox4ever

Which just adds more credibility to what I just posted.

Seriously, they may hit righties better than lefties, but then, who doesn't?

To say they CAN'T do something , and then actually show that they CAN with the same post is just poor research.

There are many problems looming with this team, and surely they have overcome many already....and this is outstanding, but ability to hit lefties is low on the list of problems.

I would say getting some healthy relief pitchers to help Tazawa and Uhehara is more of an issue. Farrell is going to burn those two out by mid-August.

I really don't see much terribly wrong with the offense.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The Red Sox rank 17th in BA vs. lefties which , while not good, puts then smack in the middle of the pack.

They have however, drawn 129 walks, hit 28 homers, and have 126 RBI, along with 293 hits vs. lefty pitching....none of these are in the category of "pathetic." In fact actually not too, too bad.

They do have more ABs vs. lefties than any other team....1176.

All in all, though, no one should be happy with the performance vs. lefties. But compared to other teams, they are not really out of whack. In fact they are holding their own vs. lefties. Yes, they could improve, but I don't see major problem considering we see a few top notch lefties more often playing in the AL East.

"All the president is, is a glorified public relations man who spends his time flattering, kissing and kicking people to get them to do what they are supposed to do anyway." - Harry S. Truman

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

most teams struggle against good pitchers especially when they are on, sox are no different

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I suggested on several other sites that if the Red Sox and White sox make a trade they should make it a whopper and include Rios and Crain to go with Peavy! They could certainly use another stout RH bat.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Another bit to help put this in perspective:  the league overall vs. lefties - .249/.314/.391

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

[QUOTE]

Runs scored vs...

Sox4ever

Which just adds more credibility to what I just posted.

Seriously, they may hit righties better than lefties, but then, who doesn't?

To say they CAN'T do something , and then actually show that they CAN with the same post is just poor research.

There are many problems looming with this team, and surely they have overcome many already....and this is outstanding, but ability to hit lefties is low on the list of problems.

I would say getting some healthy relief pitchers to help Tazawa and Uhehara is more of an issue. Farrell is going to burn those two out by mid-August.

I really don't see much terribly wrong with the offense.

[/QUOTE]

100% agree with this post. +1 Zil.

Our numbers against lefties aren't bad. We still have the #1 offense is baseball... If these last few years have taught me anything it's that you need pitching and lots of it. We need more arms if we want to make a run for a championship. at least 2 good ones in any way shape or form. Arms are flying off the shelf, gotta think they will make a move soon. In 1 way or another. If franklin comes back strong that could be huge for the sox!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I expect in about 1 week, we are going to bring up Xander and platoon [Iggy-Bogey-Drew]. First, Xander can hit lefties[.997 in AAA with 13-5 BB/K rate]. Second, Drew can't hit lefties. Third, Iggy has been awful with the stick again. In his last 14 games, no walks or extra base hits and a .346 OPS. I think its Xander time. If we want to win this year, playing your best players is the way to do it. Xander could be really good come October if we bring him up now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

I expect in about 1 week, we are going to bring up Xander and platoon [Iggy-Bogey-Drew]. First, Xander can hit lefties[.997 in AAA with 13-5 BB/K rate]. Second, Drew can't hit lefties. Third, Iggy has been awful with the stick again. In his last 14 games, no walks or extra base hits and a .346 OPS. I think its Xander time. If we want to win this year, playing your best players is the way to do it. Xander could be really good come October if we bring him up now.

And he just went yard again the other night as well as taking his share of walks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If Iggy is regressing and Drew continues to show nothing it might make sense to move Iggy back to SS where his glove will add more value and then bring up Bogaerts to play 3rd.  I don't know where that leaves Drew, I'm sure they will just find a way to dump him.  It's not outside the realm of possibility that they leave Drew at SS and sell high on Iggy and package him up with a prospect(s) for some pitching.  I don't think they go with the later and it would also likely be an unpopular move.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

The overall numbers don't lie. The Sox have struggled against good lefty pitching this season. What makes it frustrating is that two RH batters who they picked up to crush lefties (Napoli and Gomes) have not done so. They are both performing below their lifetime averages against lefties. It really doesn't make sense based on their past performance. Neither is slugging against lefties as well as their career numbers would have you think they could.

"Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Lefties pitch differently to RHBs in Fenway. Maybe Gomes and Napoli are just figuring this out recently, and will begin to raise their numbers by season's end.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

When a team looks to improve for a stronger run at a ring, they usually look at their weakest link, even if it may not be a bad area. Our numbers vs LHPs is certainly one of our weakest areas or concerns.

We place 7th out of 15 AL teams in OPS vs LHPs at .711 (just .001 ahead of the 8th place Jays). The Rays, Tigers, A's and Rangers all have better numbers. We are tied for 5th in OBP vs LHPs, so maybe it's not as bad as many think it is, but the point of this thread is that we could be better.

I do think Gomes and Napoli will start improving our numbers vs lefties. Ellsbury used to be pretty even vs righties and lefties, and Papi had looked like regained his skills vs lefties last year.

There are 2 glaring positions we are weak vs lefties: catcher and SS (or 3B if Iggy plays SS vs lefties). I'm not sure that Lava can hit close to .800 playing just 30% of the games (all vs LHPs). Drew has never hit lefties well, and has horrible 2-3 year splits vs them. 

I think we should try and find a platoon 3Bman on the cheap who can hit LHPs much better than Drew. Finding a catcher who hits LHPs well may not be too costly either. Other than those two slots, I doubt we do anything else to strengthen our offense vs LHPs.

This winter may be the time to go big in that area.

Sox4ever

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think we can address the catcher position in the offseason, and it may be time for an upgrade.  Although 3B really should get much more production next year between Middlebrooks and Bogaerts.   I wonder if they go after Michael Young to play 3B this year....They would also have the added benefit of keeping him away from the MFY but I don't think they are as big a threat as Tampa and Baltimore. 

I think we can hope for some combination of Nava, Gomes and Napoli having better at-bats vs. LHP and possibly some value added THIS year from Bogaerts/Middlebrooks.  

Ortiz and Ellsbury have all hit LHP pretty good at times in the past as well.  Ellsbury has almost identical splits in his career vs LHP/RHP.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Another bit to help put this in perspective:  the league overall vs. lefties - .249/.314/.391

So the lesson we learned from the 'can't hit lefties' thread is that we hit lefties better than average?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I think we can address the catcher position in the offseason, and it may be time for an upgrade.  Although 3B really should get much more production next year between Middlebrooks and Bogaerts.   I wonder if they go after Michael Young to play 3B this year....They would also have the added benefit of keeping him away from the MFY but I don't think they are as big a threat as Tampa and Baltimore. 

I think we can hope for some combination of Nava, Gomes and Napoli having better at-bats vs. LHP and possibly some value added THIS year from Bogaerts/Middlebrooks.  

Ortiz and Ellsbury have all hit LHP pretty good at times in the past as well.  Ellsbury has almost identical splits in his career vs LHP/RHP.  

M Young will cost too much, isn't better than Drew vs RHPs, and is not a good fielder.

He does upgrade the offense vs LHPs, but I think we can find a 3Bman who can hit LHPs at .775+, but be much cheaper than Young and not get upset if he is platooned.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Which game made it official? Was it when the Sox got shut down by the AL leader in victories or the reigning Cy Young winner?

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

The only ones on that list that surprise me are Gomes and Victorino. They were touted as lefty mashers and yet both have dated better against righties, a career statistical anomaly for each of them. Nava and Salty, though switch hitters, have been better against righties in their career so their output is not surprising to me. Ortiz and Ells have done and held their own in at bats against lefties.

Drew has been unsurprisingly terrible against them. 

Maybe the Sox struggled against Price and Moore because they are both really, really good and not because of the hand they throw with. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Anytime Drew or Salty play vs a LH'd starter, we are at a disadvantage. They are lucky to hit near .600 (OPS), and that is not a championship caliber number. Sure, we may be able to absorb a couple of "blackholes", but why not try and do something about it, if the cost is not too high?

Sox4ever

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Anytime Drew or Salty play vs a LH'd starter, we are at a disadvantage. They are lucky to hit near .600 (OPS), and that is not a championship caliber number. Sure, we may be able to absorb a couple of "blackholes", but why not try and do something about it, if the cost is not too high?

Sox4ever

Thats the exact problem. The right fit at the right cost. Young has issues and Ramirez has more issues. Not much out there. I think with the solid defense Drew and Iggy provide, they would rather have that than just a minor upgrade on offense.

I think we could see Bogey called up and see what he can do. even just for a look see. honestly, hes the only one that fits the citeria. wont cost much, mashes LHP and would have no issue in a platoon role.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Sox4ever

Thats the exact problem. The right fit at the right cost. Young has issues and Ramirez has more issues. Not much out there. I think with the solid defense Drew and Iggy provide, they would rather have that than just a minor upgrade on offense.

I think we could see Bogey called up and see what he can do. even just for a look see. honestly, hes the only one that fits the citeria. wont cost much, mashes LHP and would have no issue in a platoon role.

I don't think Boggy gets called up until the time he won't lose any years of team control. I'm not sure if that is before September or not. I think we may end up trying Boggy or bringing Middlebrooks back up at some point, and only beef up the pen this deadline. Here is a list of the best 3Bmen vs LHPs by OPS on non-contending (or close to being out of it) teams:

2013 (50+ PAs vs LHPs)

.985 Plouffe (MN)

.914 Ransom

.830 DeRosa (Tor)

.774 Polanco (Mia)

.763 Arendo (Col)

.732 Sandoval (SF)

.722 Callaspo (LAA)

.715 Headley (SD)

.695 M Young (Phil)

2012-2013 (100+ PAs)

.968 Frandsen

.935 A Ramirez

.934 Plouffe

.908 Ransom

.866 HanRam

.817 J Carroll

.791 Callaspo

.778 Lawrie

.773 DeRosa

.770 Headley

.757 Young

.740 Sandoval

It's hard to see us trading for any of these guys, so I do think we just bite the bullet and hope Drew improves his offense the next 2 months.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Without reposting Moon's entire post,

Another thing to remember is that we're looking for a rental.  This team has a surplus of LS-IF's who are cost controlled who may be a part of the team next year.  We don't want to pick up someone who's going to be blocking them for a couple of years at a much higer cost. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.