It's one loss

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from natepioneer1. Show natepioneer1's posts

It's one loss

Well, wasn't this predictable.  One loss and the sky is falling.  Of course, it is easy to look at this and say the bullpen is going to be a disaster and it is possible that it will be, but after one game, nothing can be etched in stone.  Of course, had they been lights out, the boo-birds would be saying it's only one game.

I have gone this route before and am looking at this as a series.  Let's look at the reality here.  They are playing one of the top 5 teams in MLB in their ballpark.  They went against a pitcher who had not just a great season last year, but one of the best in recent memory.   

Going into the series, exactly what were people expecting or even hoping for.  I feel that if they take one of three, that is about what is expected.  When said pitcher, throws like he did in his historic season, I tend to say that game is not going to be the one of those three.

So what happened.  Verlander was terrific, as one might expect.  Then their CLOSER, who was 49 for 49 last year and allowed just a 192 average,, got smoked.  To be honest, who amongst you expected that the Red Sox would get back to a tie.  The way Verlander was pitching, I said to myself that a win would have been stealing the game.  When Valverde came in I felt even stronger about that notion.

Are they panicking in Detroit, that their big time closer was not so good?  Are they concerned that their stud starter wound up with a no decision?  Maybe they are, but somehow I doubt it is even remotely at the level as it would be in Boston.

Clearly the Sox bullpen is in flux and they are going to have to find their way.  It may take a little time to get the pieces in some order.  It may not happen and if it doesn't, yes it will be a long season.

Do the words Jason Motte mean anything to the chicken littles out there.  Did the Cardinals not rebuild their bullpen on the fly, in July and August.  Did the Rangers effectively change over theirs  at the deadline.

Over the course of the game, there were perhaps just two points where they were even in a position to take the lead.  In the second, when Papi led off with a double.  Then in the 9th when Sweeney tripled.  That's it, no other threats to speak of. 

I am disappointed that they lost.  On a game by game basis, I am always disappointed when they lose.  And if we took them on a game by game basis, we would want them to be 162-0.  Guess what folks, ain't gonna happen ever.  (although I am reading a book called 162-0).

Let's calm down and give it at least the weekend.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: It's one loss

I don't see anyone lining up on the Tobin just yet?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In some ways it was a good loss because Verlander was just as good as advertised and getting to Valverde was great fun to watch.  This game should have been over by around the 6th, but Lester pitched well, and the hitters finally came through in the 9th once Verlander left the game. 

That said, the bullpen's performance was ominous.  Morales looked OK even though he gave up the sac fly to Fielder (on a low pitch).  But Aceves, Padilla, and Melancon were collectively lousy, and this does not bode well for the season. 
    Peter Abraham made the point that Papelbon is already missed.  Possibly.  But Pap would have been good for just one inning, presumably the 9th.  After that, the deluge.  

Bailey, gone for the season.  Aceves, very disgruntled, wants only to be a starter.  Melancon, not AL caliber.  Padilla, ex-starter.  Bard, now a starter. 

Little wonder Bobby Valentine elected to go with 13 pitchers to start the season and just as little wonder he jerked Melancon out so quickly, despite his complaint after the game. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from natepioneer1. Show natepioneer1's posts

Ominous seems to be a bit much after one game.  Lot's of little things happened in the 8th and 9th.  They may get worse as time goes on or thyey might work themselves out.  Assuming they don't there will be changes.  But I don't think one game. one week or even one month will be enough of a sample to make overreaching judgements.

And on Papelbon.  Can we please put that one to bed.  He wasn't coming back.  And the Red Sox were correct in not going more than two years.  He will probably have a great season, this year and maybe even next year, but after that.....at $12 MM per.  No thanks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

We are 7 an 21 in our last 28 regular season games, ans we are in last place! lol.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from natepioneer1. Show natepioneer1's posts

Maybe you are looking at the wrong level of the bridge.

The weekend is not over yet and with the offday, I'll bet some are warming up their cars to get there. 

In Response to Re: It's one loss:
    [QUOTE]I don't see anyone lining up on the Tobin just yet?
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

There goes their undefeated season.We might as well give up any hope for this year,maybe they'll make the playoffs next year.
      The sky has fallen.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

Remember how much one loss mattered last year!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nonola. Show nonola's posts

The sky isn't falling but it is certainly cloudy. To work so hard to get thru Verlander and come back and tie only to watch the bullpens failure, sad. Bobby V should have kept 14 pitchers and used that last guy. He could not have been worse. That said, Lester pitched great.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Yes the sky has already fallen, the season is over and the RS will go 0-162. Why bother playing another game ?????

Love the Globe writers. This one game is an echo of last years collapse. Sure it is just like Obama Care is a true reflection of yesterdays episode of Sesame Street. The trouble with Boston sports is that the head trolls work for the Boston Globe in the capacity of being sport writers, or so we are led to believe. 

Just my warped & very sarcastic point of view, 
    Hetchinspete  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In Response to Re: It's one loss:
    [QUOTE]In some ways it was a good loss because Verlander was just as good as advertised and getting to Valverde was great fun to watch.  This game should have been over by around the 6th, but Lester pitched well, and the hitters finally came through in the 9th once Verlander left the game.  That said, the bullpen's performance was ominous.  Morales looked OK even though he gave up the sac fly to Fielder (on a low pitch).  But Aceves, Padilla, and Melancon were collectively lousy, and this does not bode well for the season.  Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]
    It's a little early to be doing the "Chicken Little" (is he related to Grady Little?) thing yet.  Little things go into a one-run win or loss and this game was no exception.  That's probably why Bill James has said that most one-run games are decided by luck and why the number of one-run wins and losses will even out over a few seasons. 
    The only thing Padilla and Melancon showed was that they didn't have it... yesterday.  They'll get another chance and either they'll do better or they won't, and that will go a long way toward deciding their future. The good news is that they were instrumental in a loss that was expected anyway. 
    C'mon folks, The Sox were facing the Cy Young/MVP of last year AND a closer who had been lights-out last year. I was pleasantly surprised that the Sox were in the game going into the 9th.
     As was stated, Morales looked ok.  Fielder hit a low pitch and got a SAC out of it, but a low pitch was exactly what we wanted him to hit... wasn't it?
    The winning hit went through (or rather, outside) a drawn-in infield.  In a regular situation that same ball is a 5-3 out.  I don't blame Aceves for that.  He got the ground ball, it just went where there wasn't anybody to field it.

Stuff happens.  The Sox just got the short end of it yesterday.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Melancon and Aceves have good track records and they'll be good; we lost to Verlander for pete's sake; we made it a game in the 9th coming back to tie the score against a top flight closer; all this hand-wringing is absurd, Lester pitched well, Sweeney was good, the game could have gone either way.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Enjoy the season--it's baseball--win or lose it's baseball--best of all it's Red Sox baseball time.

The Rays, Jays, Yanks and Sox--two of these teams are going to miss the playoffs maybe even three will miss the playoffs.

I believe the Sox will miss the playoffs--don't get me wrong--I am passionate about the Sox. They will be competitive but when I look at the AL--I see the Angels, Texas and Detroit with the Rays and Jays--the Yanks and Sox will make things interesting in the East but both will come up a little short.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

It's two losses--160 games to play.

Toronto and Tampa are two and 0.

We see both teams and the Yanks in the first five series'--we might have at least an idea how the pitching will look after a few starts by each starter in addition to position player and lineup adjustments. 

Sections
Shortcuts