It's Sad but Is Bard Done?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

It's Sad but Is Bard Done?

Sad news reading the extra bases blog. This from Pete Abraham:

Meanwhile, in Reading Thursday afternoon, Daniel Bard had a rough ninth inning for Double A Portland.

He inherited a 7-3 lead and walked the first batter. A wild pitch moved that runner to second. Bard got a strikeout before throwing another wild pitch. He was then taken out of the game after a four-pitch walk.

In all, Bard threw 15 pitches, four of them strikes.

In two outings for Portland since Bard was optioned there, he has walked three, thrown three wild pitches, and thrown strikes on 13 of 33 pitches.

If you go back to his last outing with the Red Sox, Bard has walked five of the last 10 batters he has faced.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: It's Sad but Is Bard Done?

They have told him that this isnt a quick fix and could be a year long thing. His call up was only going to be temporary. I would see how he does this year and possibly make a decision this offaseason when there will be a need for roster spots on the 40-man.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Meanwhile, in Reading Thursday afternoon, Daniel Bard had a rough ninth inning for Double A Portland.

He inherited a 7-3 lead and walked the first batter. A wild pitch moved that runner to second. Bard got a strikeout before throwing another wild pitch. He was then taken out of the game after a four-pitch walk.

In two outings for Portland since Bard was optioned there, he has walked three, thrown three wild pitches, and thrown strikes on 13 of 33 pitches.

If you go back to his last outing with the Red Sox, Bard has walked five of the last 10 batters he has faced.

Geez, overreact much?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I'm not saying Bard's done. Hopefully he can find his control. But it's hasn't looked good. I know many are blaming moving him to starter last year, but he started to go bad in 2011. Maybe it excelerated the problems.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

I'm not a Psych but my guess is that he's lost all of his confidence. He's still a youngster at age 27 so he could still have a long career ahead but best for Bard is most likely a change of scenery to a new team. Just my best guess. Folks around BDC can look for who to blame but at this point the blame game should stop. Both Bard and the Sox should try to move forward probably by a trade for another prospect, or in a multi-player deal. What has happened to Bard is a shame. 

Hetch

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Bard's trade value is too low to get any kind of "prospect" but a bottom rated "prospect".

Roy, that's brilliant, the move to starter accelerated the problems he was already having as a reliever. How long did you study to come up with that.

Bard will soon be the "throw in" when the Sox do make a trade (tweak) to the roster.....  Don't rule it out !!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

What's sad is that Shane and Ortiz are back on the shelf.

Bard isn't "done", but his confidence was damaged by the way he's been handlled, which goes beyond the decision to start him and then pull the plug early.

Ortiz is not on the shelf. He has a day off.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I don't believe in giving away low cost players in their twenties when their trade value reaches an all-time low. I'd be more patient and utilize the CBA before exposing Bard to give-away status.

Can you please explain how you would utilize the CBA in this case. I do agree to give up on him with his arm would be a shame--perhaps he does need a new "venue" away from the Northeast. How many forums would be concerned about Bard pitching in AA and having a couple of bad outings? This is the microscope or fishbowl--he can't hide from the Boston Fanbase and try some new things. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

They have told him that this isnt a quick fix and could be a year long thing. His call up was only going to be temporary. I would see how he does this year and possibly make a decision this offaseason when there will be a need for roster spots on the 40-man.

I think they have no expectations of Bard this year, other than improve. I think your right he will be evaluted at the end of the season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

The Sox management did this to Bard.  He sucked really bad when he started in the minors.  That experiment failed and he went on to become a very good reliever.  Now in the majors they expect him to start again?   Dah....already tried that and failed.  I blame management.  They should have left him as the 8th inning man or given him a chance to close.  It was his job to lose when Paps bolted to Philly.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

In response to ADG's comment:

Geez, overreact much?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to Mchampion's comment:

The Sox management did this to Bard.  He sucked really bad when he started in the minors.  That experiment failed and he went on to become a very good reliever.  Now in the majors they expect him to start again?   Dah....already tried that and failed.  I blame management.  They should have left him as the 8th inning man or given him a chance to close.  It was his job to lose when Paps bolted to Philly.  

It was Bard who wanted to become a starter and the Sox were willing to give him a shot and at the time the Sox were in need of a reliable starter. The management didn't do this to Bard. 

Hetch

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

It was Bard who wanted to become a starter and the Sox were willing to give him a shot and at the time the Sox were in need of a reliable starter. The management didn't do this to Bard. 

Hetch

The Sox capitulated when Bard and his agent visualized the bigger dollars that starting pitchers get.

Bard, his agent, and the Sox are all to blame.

The clock was working fine and all three broke it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Hetch

The Sox capitulated when Bard and his agent visualized the bigger dollars that starting pitchers get.

exactly. Bard and his agent got greedy and because of the sox financial situation in 2012 and the need for a starter, decided to give him the shot. Im willing to bet if it happened this year the Sox would have said no.

Hopefully he can get his groove back this year in AA or something might have to be done when the year is over.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Hetch

I agree both saw the $$ advantage for themselves

with bard becoming a starter

nothing wrong with that IMO

but why do so many just ignore the increasing BB in the 2nd 1/2 of 11

w/ a very ugly sept

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Hetch

exactly. Bard and his agent got greedy and because of the sox financial situation in 2012 and the need for a starter, decided to give him the shot. Im willing to bet if it happened this year the Sox would have said no.

Hopefully he can get his groove back this year in AA or something might have to be done when the year is over.

I hope he gets his groove back also, but, I really, really have reservations.

Watching him struggle, makes me remember Rick Ankiel.  He was, at one time, incredible.  Then, he just lost it.  It's comperable to golfers(I can't think of specific names off hand) who were great putters, then suddenly couldn't putt it into the ocean...the yips.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Bard isn't "done", but his confidence was damaged by the way he's been handlled, which goes beyond the decision to start him and then pull the plug early.

He wanted to be a starter and they had to pull the plug before he seriously hurt someone.  His last start in Toronto was ugly.  Now he has no clue where the ball is going.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from thegrandsalami. Show thegrandsalami's posts

Very sad what's goin on with Bard but he is still young and has time to get it back because I find it hard to believe that the failed starter experiment has caused this much trouble for this long.Starters have a different pregame approach than relievers so surely (with some work) he can at least learn to throw strikes again and maybe get his control back.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Ortiz is not on the shelf. He has a day off.

Dude is so stoned out that he's funny to watch.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

No, he had a nightmarish close to 2011.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

Hetch

I agree both saw the $$ advantage for themselves

with bard becoming a starter

nothing wrong with that IMO

but why do so many just ignore the increasing BB in the 2nd 1/2 of 11

w/ a very ugly sept

It's like this is your first day in the forum.

If you don't ignore September, 2011, then you have no one to blame but Bard.  Better to ignore September, that way you can blame the FO, since that is what 25% of the posters are here for.

Sections
Shortcuts