It's Sad but Is Bard Done?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: It's Sad but Is Bard Done?

In response to ADG's comment:

Sad news reading the extra bases blog. This from Pete Abraham:

Meanwhile, in Reading Thursday afternoon, Daniel Bard had a rough ninth inning for Double A Portland.

He inherited a 7-3 lead and walked the first batter. A wild pitch moved that runner to second. Bard got a strikeout before throwing another wild pitch. He was then taken out of the game after a four-pitch walk.

In all, Bard threw 15 pitches, four of them strikes.

In two outings for Portland since Bard was optioned there, he has walked three, thrown three wild pitches, and thrown strikes on 13 of 33 pitches.

If you go back to his last outing with the Red Sox, Bard has walked five of the last 10 batters he has faced.

Unfortunately, Bard is toast.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

When velocity drops like his has, something very, very wrong. Start working on secondary pitches, forget the fastball at this point. Wish Pedro would work with him on the change-up. Same motion to the plate as Fastball.

93 mph fastball still good enough, but needs other Pitches at this point in his career. Problem is 1 inning not enough for him to work on them. Bullpen sessions not good enough either. Needs to face batters. I'm betting that was the last we see of Bard this year in Boston.
    Wow, what a shame, hope he doesn't give up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

What's sad is that Shane and Ortiz are back on the shelf.

Bard isn't "done", but his confidence was damaged by the way he's been handlled, which goes beyond the decision to start him and then pull the plug early.

He may have been hurt by the move but let's not forget he wanterd to be a starter even before they did it andremember he was a starter before being made the set up guy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BostonProSportsLover's comment:

from BARD to WORSE.. "Right-hander Daniel Bard had a second straight ugly outing since his return to Double-A Portland, this one arguably as bad as any he had at the height of his struggles last year. He recorded one out (via strikeout), but walked two batters and had a pair of wild pitches while throwing just four of 15 pitches for strikes. That followed a Sunday outing in his return to Portland in which Bard gave up two runs on two hits and a walk while throwing nine of 18 pitches for strikes".

what are your sources for this quote? please list them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

Meanwhile, in Reading Thursday afternoon, Daniel Bard had a rough ninth inning for Double A Portland.

He inherited a 7-3 lead and walked the first batter. A wild pitch moved that runner to second. Bard got a strikeout before throwing another wild pitch. He was then taken out of the game after a four-pitch walk.

In two outings for Portland since Bard was optioned there, he has walked three, thrown three wild pitches, and thrown strikes on 13 of 33 pitches.

If you go back to his last outing with the Red Sox, Bard has walked five of the last 10 batters he has faced.

Geez, overreact much?

It's not an overreaction when Bard has been terrible at all levels (MLB, AAA, AA) for well over a year with seemingly no end in sight.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

Geez, overreact much?

It's not an overreaction when Bard has been terrible at all levels (MLB, AAA, AA) for well over a year with seemingly no end in sight.

I think it's silly to write off any uninjured player that under 30.

Sure, he could be another Craig Hansen, but I think it's too early to say he's done.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

I'm not a Psych but my guess is that he's lost all of his confidence. He's still a youngster at age 27 so he could still have a long career ahead but best for Bard is most likely a change of scenery to a new team. Just my best guess. Folks around BDC can look for who to blame but at this point the blame game should stop. Both Bard and the Sox should try to move forward probably by a trade for another prospect, or in a multi-player deal. What has happened to Bard is a shame. 

Hetch

Great post and I definitely agree with you.  I always liked Bard and maybe a new start with another team will help him in the future. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Geez, overreact much?

Sure, he could be another Craig Hansen, but I think it's too early to say he's done.

The objective evidence indicates that he is finished. Its still possible for him to make a recovery, but if I were a betting man, I would not be betting on Bard. This is not a small sample size: he started stinking back in Sept 2011-thats 20 months of unadulterated stench so far, without any improvement whatsoever.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Geez, overreact much?

The objective evidence indicates that he is finished. Its still possible for him to make a recovery, but if I were a betting man, I would not be betting on Bard. This is not a small sample size: he started stinking back in Sept 2011-thats 20 months of unadulterated stench so far, without any improvement whatsoever.

Yes, you already stated he was toast. I get it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Geez, overreact much?

Yes, you already stated he was toast. I get it.

Great! With you is sometimes takes stating things in a different way to convince you. In this case I let you know its been 20 months since he was any good in response to your subjective opinion that one should not give on "any player under 30" with no evidence about Bard whatsoever to support your feeling that he can come back. I got it too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

any chance with the drop in velocity.....something physical is wrong?......probably obvious they checked but I never trusted the medical dept.......I know it's grasping at straws but this case is so odd.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Geez, overreact much?

Four B's is his usual observant self...he will make a decision when Bard is 30! LMAO...because we all know minor leaguers suddenly turn the corner and play awesome at 29

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ill stick with my post above.

He will be in AA for the rest of the year, and come the off season when they will have to make room on the 40-man roster for the many prospects that will be eligible for the rule-5 draft, they will have to make a decision on his future in Boston.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

Geez, overreact much?

Four B's is his usual observant self...he will make a decision when Bard is 30! LMAO...because we all know minor leaguers suddenly turn the corner and play awesome at 29

That's true.

I am a wait and see kind of guy...

If you and Pumpsie need to to spend your time trying to prove you're the smartest guys in the room, knock yourself out.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Bard was a terrific 8th inning set-up guy but lost it after the switch to starter. My hope is that Andrew Miller, Bard's old teammate at NC, who seems to be suffering from similar control issues doesn't follow him out the door.