1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: It's Starting

I dont think there will be a total collapse like 11, but I do think they will collapse enough to get knocked out of first and maybe out of the WC altogether. It just wont be as dramatic because it will be a slower bleed. I still think they will finish ahead of NY. But even so, a serious contender? Uh uh. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Sssssh!!!

You're not supposed to state the obvious.

"Here we are trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.- Kurt Vonnegut

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The line for the Tobin Bridge forms on the right. Please, no pushing or shoving. There's plenty of time for fans who can't handle adversity to jump. Thank you for your consideration.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Some posters here really cannot handle the slightest adversity. We were up by three games a few days ago, then we lost a couple and it's down to one...OMG 2011, right?

We heard all winter about how this team was going to suck, and all season we've been hearing about how they just weren't good enough to go anywhere ("Yes, I know they're in first place and on pace for 97 wins, but come on, they have Napoli and Drew"), but they've proven the naysayers wrong at every turn. They're having a brutal stretch right now, magnified because it's in the middle of a tight playoff race...not stuff for the faint of heart. But I think some people around here are just looking for any excuse to stick a fork in this team, because it's what they've been waiting to do all season. It's the same whiny, Chicken Little BS we've endured every single season (including 2007), now on steroids since the travails of 2011-12.

If you're one of those types, please feel free to take the rest of the season off and check back in November. Seriously, do. Save yourself the trouble and the heartache, since you already know the outcome. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

Some posters here really cannot handle the slightest adversity. We were up by three games a few days ago, then we lost a couple and it's down to one...OMG 2011, right?

We heard all winter about how this team was going to suck, and all season we've been hearing about how they just weren't good enough to go anywhere ("Yes, I know they're in first place and on pace for 97 wins, but come on, they have Napoli and Drew!"), but they've proven the naysayers wrong at every turn. They're having a brutal stretch right now, magnified because it's in the middle of a tight playoff race...not stuff for the faint of heart. But I think some people around here are just looking for any excuse to stick a fork in this team, because it's what they've been waiting to do all season. It's the same whiny, Chicken Little BS we've endured every single season (including 2007), now on steroids since the travails of 2011-12.

If you're one of those types, please feel free to take the rest of the season off and check back in November. Seriously, do. Save yourself the trouble and the heartache, since you already know the outcome. 

Will do flap. Thx.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

BTW, heres where Im at with this team. Monday I ordered a set of Torque Thrust 20" rims for my Mustang. I had the 8.5" fronts mounted at Tire Barn this morning. To show my contempt Im going to go get the 10" rear tires mounted at 4:00 pm today, during the game. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

BTW, heres where Im at with this team. Monday I ordered a set of Torque Thrust 20" rims for my Mustang. I had the 8.5" fronts mounted at Tire Barn this morning. To show my contempt Im going to go get the 10" rear tires mounted at 4:00 pm today, during the game. 

LOL!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Flapjack, the "brutal stretch" has included such powerhouse teams as Toronto, Kansas City and Houston....along with a Jeterless Yankees. What is saving us right now , Tampa Bay is playing even worse.

This is why many of us seem troubled. I will continue to support the team, but good sense prevents me from being overly optomistic.

That, and I am a hopeless cynic.

"Here we are trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.- Kurt Vonnegut

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

We are already starting to hear the rumblings . The rationalization. The excuses. You know the deal. This team did more than anyone expected. They defied the odds. They were resilient. The gritty, fun loving , band of brothers. Just came up short , but thanks for a great season. A moral victory. Wait till next year when the "kids " are ready. Sorry folks, there is no such thing as a 170 million dollar moral victory. No highly paid over achievers. It is all about winning. Don't get me wrong. I am not giving up on the season. But I am not liking what I have been seeing lately. I am not interested in moral victories and endless excuses. And the same old hype about the next great  rookie crop.  This is a big market, high payroll team. Two championships in the past 95 years. It is reasonable for us to expect the team to make every effort to win. Forget all the stuff about Chicken Little, the sky is falling, etc.   We are not lining up at the Tobin Bridge.  We just do not take losing as lightly as some others. And we are tired of hearing all the speculation about whether the Sox can afford to sign this or that player. Just win , Baby. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

We are already starting to hear the rumblings . The rationalization. The excuses. You know the deal. This team did more than anyone expected. They defied the odds. They were resilient. The gritty, fun loving , band of brothers. Just came up short , but thanks for a great season. A moral victory. Wait till next year when the "kids " are ready. Sorry folks, there is no such thing as a 170 million dollar moral victory. No highly paid over achievers. It is all about winning. Don't get me wrong. I am not giving up on the season. But I am not liking what I have been seeing lately. I am not interested in moral victories and endless excuses. And the same old hype about the next great  rookie crop.  This is a big market, high payroll team. Two championships in the past 95 years. It is reasonable for us to expect the team to make every effort to win. Forget all the stuff about Chicken Little, the sky is falling, etc.   We are not lining up at the Tobin Bridge.  We just do not take losing as lightly as some others. And we are tired of hearing all the speculation about whether the Sox can afford to sign this or that player. Just win , Baby. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

Very well stated.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

Good thing you threw in that disclaimer "I am not giving up on the season," because the rest of your post reads like it was written after we'd already missed the playoffs.

I am certainly not denying how badly the Red Sox have played over the last week or two, or faulting people who are legitimately concerned...this team is in serious need of a spark at this point. And I am NOT looking for "moral victories" at this point...they have already done far more than almost anyone expected of them before the season, but I want to win this year. What I take issue with is people talking as if it's already over. We are still in first place with a lot of baseball yet to be played, and say what you will about them, but this is a team that has shown it's not going to quit even when it appears they're down for the count.

I'll accept defeat and wring my hands about what went wrong on the day we're eliminated, and not before.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

The "they'll be ok quit whining" crowd was out in force in 2011. I started posting in June when they were winning that there was something seriously wrong with that team, but few listened.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

Very well stated.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

Good thing you threw in that disclaimer "I am not giving up on the season," because the rest of your post reads like it was written after we'd already missed the playoffs.

I am certainly not denying how badly the Red Sox have played over the last week or two, or faulting people with being concerned...this team is in serious need of a spark at this point. And I am NOT looking for "moral victories" at this point...they have already done far more than almost anyone expected of them before the season, but I want to win this year. What I take issue with is people talking as if it's already over. We are still in first place with a lot of baseball yet to be played, and say what you will about them, but this is a team that has shown it's not going to quit even when it appears they're down for the count.

I'll accept defeat and wring my hands about what went wrong on the day we're eliminated, and not before.

[/QUOTE]

When I say that I am not giving up on the season, it is sincere. Not just throwing that in there. It was really hard to stomach what we watched last night. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

The "they'll be ok quit whining" crowd was out in force in 2011. I started posting in June when they were winning that there was something seriously wrong with that team, but few listened.

[/QUOTE]

The same " good " fans are starting to say the same things now that they said in 2011.  Chicken Little whining, etc.  There is time to stop this losing. It is not over by any means. But please, no more fiascos like last night. Please. That game was enough to make Stephen King want to jump off the Tobin Bridge. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

I am certainly not denying how badly the Red Sox have played over the last week or two, or faulting people with being concerned...this team is in serious need of a spark at this point. And I am NOT looking for "moral victories" at this point...they have already done far more than almost anyone expected of them before the season, but I want to win this year. What I take issue with is people talking as if it's already over. We are still in first place with a lot of baseball yet to be played, and say what you will about them, but this is a team that has shown it's not going to quit even when it appears they're down for the count.

[/QUOTE]

When I say that I am not giving up on the season, it is sincere. Not just throwing that in there. It was really hard to stomach what we watched last night. 

[/QUOTE]

Okay. I apologize if I insinuated that you were not sincere. And I know what we have witnessed lately is disheartening...I guess I just don't have a whole lot of patience for defeatism while we are still in the thick of things. As you said, there is time to get back on track. Hopefully it starts with this afternoon.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The last time the Red Sox played in San Francisco, a Boston team that failed to advance to the postseason took two of three games from the 2010 World Series champion Giants:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BOS/2010-schedule-scores.shtml

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

The last time the Red Sox played in San Francisco, a Boston team that failed to advance to the postseason took two of three games from the 2010 World Series champion Giants:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BOS/2010-schedule-scores.shtml

Most of the team left that series like Lee after Gettysburg, in a wagon train of wounded that stretched for 17 miles. We lost PD, Buchholz, and VMart that weekend.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

Best post I have read in many weeks...believe you share my view of dying with boots on... but more than building up mentally, it is still time to improve the team with fresh talent from waivers, farm, etc etc... More than " just win" Sox top brass  must defeat defeatism... 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Not worried yet, tough time of year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Yaz's comment:

Well, another August and another collapse.  The Red Sox seem to have a blueprint in how to[even with different players and coaches] fall apart quickly. The makings are in order: No hitting[ and in the clutch], pitching starting to unravel, and a brutal schedule with the Dodgers and Giants. With that going on, the Yankees are on fire[ scoring runs and winning by large margins], and the Rays are the Rays. They just seem to love the months of August and September. Sad. An exciting year turning ugly FAST!! Next week at this time, the Red Sox may be on the road of a total collapse and the word post-season will be just another distant memory.

We had a four game lead a few days ago which could have been even larger when Tampa went into a tail spin but we couldn't take full advantage.  I would say we are definately nose diving.  I'm also not very happy "as a Sox fan" with the fact we have a supposed ace that pitches very little for our club each year.  We need a big reliable bat in our lineup behind Papi during the off season, preferably a 1B.

Would I trade prospects again for a kid similar to Myers?  In a hearbeat because Myers or CJ Cron are the ones I liked originally.  Tampa took a chance on Myers and got lucky with Loney, while we chose Nap so theres nobody to blame but ourselves.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

I couldn't have said it better.  Well done!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

Best post I have read in many weeks...believe you share my view of dying with boots on... but more than building up mentally, it is still time to improve the team with fresh talent from waivers, farm, etc etc... More than " just win" Sox top brass  must defeat defeatism... 

[/QUOTE]

Thanks.