It's the pitching, stupid

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Re: It's the pitching, stupid

In Response to Re: It's the pitching, stupid:
    [QUOTE]Actually, it's a combination of many things. This is false. Looking at 11 games doesn't mean that much. But, the starting pitching numbers reflect the problem. Getting strong starts allows the team a chance to swing away and have a good chance to get on top early. The hitting won't be an issue, but the starting pitching will decide where this team goes. Needless to say, 11 games isn't enough to guage where the final starting pitching numbers will end up. But, there have been only 3 solid starts in 11 games, and that will never get it done. The team won one of those starts, so even if they win the other 2 that's still a 4-7 percentage bad start. It's way too early to start acting like women.
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]
    Agreed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Actually, it's a combination of many things.

1. Starting pitching has been slow rounding into shape, but Lester was great in two of his three starts and still has yet to win. The Sox have scored just two runs in his last two starts.

2. Youk and Crawford not hitting. Forget about his contract, even if he was paid just $6M, he's batting leadoff and has yet to do anything. Youk is batting cleanup, and both A-Gon and Ortiz have hit well behind him and he still scks so far this year. It's great that his OBP is so high, but the fact is, the Sox need him to hit and drive runs in, not walk.

3. Luck. There has been some fluky things happen. Let's look at last night. The Rays score a run on a slow weak chopper with a guy on third who was able to beat the throw home. A couple of innings later, with a runner on, which could have set up a big inning, A-Gon his a shot up the middle that deflects off the pitcher and to the 2B who throws out A-Gon at first.

4. Not enough players are picking up for the key guys who are struggling. Meaning, when a player like Youk and Crawford are struggling, you would hope that other guys (Salty, Scutaro or Ellsbury)  -- the bottom of the order guys will come through. Scutaro did against the Yankees, but for the most part, they're struggling too. And guys like Ortiz or A-Gon, while they've been doing their job, they also haven't been hot enough to carry the team. Or when the starting pitching blows up, the bullpen can't keep it close. That's happened at least twice.

This is how good teams start 2-9. You can't just look at one area. 

Sure it's easy to look at the ERA and say it's just the pitching, but look again. The Sox averaged more than five runs a game last year. In 11 games so far, they've reached five runs just four times and scored more than five runs once.

If it's reasonable to suggest that if the Sox scored five runs, they should win, that means the most they should have won so far is just four games. And if it's reasonable to suggest that if the Sox allow four or fewer runs, the most they should have won so far is again, just four games. So in my opinion, the best the Sox could hope to be the way they're playing so far is 4-7.

So let's stop pointing the blame at one spot or one or two players. The Sox are 2-9 because of nothing has come together yet. It's a team failure so far.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

It's the pitching, stupid

All those threads about fixing the lineup and/or batting order are ignoring the biggest problem with this team. 

The Sox ERA is 6.77, dead last in the AL and over 1 run per game than the 13th best ERA (Detroit's). 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Well, yes.

The starting pitching has pretty much stunk.

But Lester has pitched two good games out of three. And they have lost them all.

There are two problems here. Lack of clutch hitting and lack of good staring pitching.

Sounds like 2010 all over again.

I stated last year that there was more wrong here than injuries. Theo added some punch to the lineup, but he failed to fix an inconsistent rotation. While I didn't expect them to be this bad, I didn't expect the team to run away and clinch the division by July 31...like the "experts" were saying.

I think this team can compete, but they've got to get rid of Wakefield and Daisuke and they have to fix Lackey and Buchholz. Beckett and Lester seem to have found something...Daisuke has been a "work in progress" for way too long. I simply have lost all confidence in him. Wakefield at 44 is not doing us any favors.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

oh absolutely! including last night when we got a total of 5 hits off of 3 pitchers.
    yeah, lester really suked last night didn't he!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In Response to Re: It's the pitching, stupid:
    [QUOTE]oh absolutely! including last night when we got a total of 5 hits off of 3 pitchers. yeah, lester really suked last night didn't he!
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]

Pitching was good last night and great when Beckett beat the Yankees on the weekend.

But an ERA of almost 7 runs per game means that the Sox have to score on the average 8 runs per game in order to have a winning record. 

I entirely agree that the hitting is well below expectations, but right now even a very good hitting team, averaging, say, 6 runs per game, could continue to lose more than they win.

And, don't forget, other teams do have very good starting pitchers who, when they are on, will shut down the Sox hitting even when it is going good. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TORNSOX. Show TORNSOX's posts

In Response to It's the pitching, stupid:
    [QUOTE]All those threads about fixing the lineup and/or batting order are ignoring the biggest problem with this team.  The Sox ERA is 6.77, dead last in the AL and over 1 run per game than the 13th best ERA (Detroit's). 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

that surprises me; i thought the ERA was higher. however, with LACKEY pitching tonight----------oh, nevermind.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Yes, just like last year, it's the starting pitching staff. I've been repeating, over and over, before the season, that the starting pitching is the sole barometer of how far this team goes. The team was one of the leading league run scorers, last year with all the injuries. People foolishly though it was automatic WS when Crawford and AGon were brought in. They forgot about the starting pitching, and how pitiful Lackey and Beckett were last year. Beckett showed a big sign of having one of his up years. Lackey is a bust who will be lucky to be a marginal #4 starter. Still, if Buch returns close to 2010 form, and I think he will, Lester, Buch and Beckett will be enough to make the Red Sox AL title contenders.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

No doubt, max. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, and I can see that. But, what to do about it? You've gotta admit that, with a few exceptions, the whole team looks flat. I don't know how or who, but someone needs to light a fire under these guys.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Actually, it's a combination of many things.

This is false. Looking at 11 games doesn't mean that much. But, the starting pitching numbers reflect the problem. Getting strong starts allows the team a chance to swing away and have a good chance to get on top early. The hitting won't be an issue, but the starting pitching will decide where this team goes. Needless to say, 11 games isn't enough to guage where the final starting pitching numbers will end up. But, there have been only 3 solid starts in 11 games, and that will never get it done. The team won one of those starts, so even if they win the other 2 that's still a 4-7 percentage bad start.

It's way too early to start acting like women.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WinningTigerBlood. Show WinningTigerBlood's posts

roy

thanks for the litany of excuses.  Can I use them without paying a royalty?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roaddogg1959. Show Roaddogg1959's posts

I think the ERA is very inflated because of 2 giys Lackey and Dice K. Then you use Wakefied in relief and dont for the Reyes Apperance. The hitting well you got 4 guys hitting Gonzo,Pedroia,Ortiz and Drew, thats it unless you call batting 135 hitting.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

This has been covered before. I'd like to add something...beyond the numbers.

Baseball is a feeling. What I mean by this can't be captured on a stat sheet.
    When things go bad, they have a tendency to escalate. It's not just in Youk's average, or in Wheeler's disappointing outings, or in Crawford's OBP.

Baseball is unique in that it's a team sport which sports individual accomplishment. There's a rhythm to winning - a rhythm to losing. The numbers follow suit. But the underlying cause is that this squad hasn't yet felt the swagger and confidence of winning. They have only known defeat...and a glimmer of hope.

You can quote all the reasons you want, but until these individuals become a unit, even if losing gets them there, this will remain a segmented squad.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, just like last year, it's the starting pitching staff. I've been repeating, over and over, before the season...

How did you do that?
    Your first post was 3/2011.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

LOL

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

3/2011 was before the season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Don't you get it Moon? He could no longer stand living in Softlaw's body. He is liberated!!!!

Unfortunately, he took his baggage with him!

Sybil Law!!!

Sections
Shortcuts