1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

It's the pitching

I basically agree--horrifying thought--with trotternixon hitting is vital for the Sox. 

But this year it's the pitching dragging the Sox down.  The lineup misses Ortiz and Middlebrooks and last year's Ellsbury, but not nearly as much as last year's Beckett and Lester.  Only Buchholz is competent right now.  Cook is up and down, ditto Doubront, etc.  One reliable starter is not enough.  Two--assuming Lester might be turning things around--might not be. 

When you look at won-loss records in the AL--on mlb.com they are right next to team ERA's--it is very clearly the really lousy pitching staffs, without exception have losing records. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Re: It's the pitching

Max, 

I'ts been the pitching all year from opening day onward. The bullpen got off to a rough start but overall has been pretty solid since. Beckett puzzles me. He's definitely a strange charactor but the game has always had odd balls but Boston fans are tough and react to a vicious Boston media and it's obvious too many fans take to heart what ever the press has to say. Although player many times say they don't pay attention to the local media and fans, I'm sure it's hard to ignore. That being said, Beckett probably needs a change of scenery. 

As for Lester, he's still a good pitcher with a number of fine years prior to this years poor performance. I look forward to Lester coming back with a good year next year. Doubrant started and is still learning how to pitch at a major league level. He'll only get better. Buch has been good for quite some time but was set back by injuries but when healthy he shows he can be a #1 or #2 starter. The Sox need to find another few starters from thier minor league system, figure out whether Morales is a starter or reliever and what do with Cook who has been good one start and bad the next.   

As for Lackey, I'm puzzled as with Dice K. At this point I'd give up on Dice and unload him semewhere for a bag of rocks (no insult intended on Dice K) and eat his remaining salary or let him work out his issues in Pawtucket until he shows he's can steadily pitch or be releaded on waivers. Lackey was a decent pitcher in LA with five consecutive years with an era in the threes. He is overpayed, but that's water over the dam. Hopefully once recovered from the surgery he can be an effective #3-4 starter. 

Just my thoughts from Milwaukee, 
    Hetch

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In Response to It's the pitching:
    [QUOTE]I basically agree--horrifying thought--with trotternixon hitting is vital for the Sox.  But this year it's the pitching dragging the Sox down.  The lineup misses Ortiz and Middlebrooks and last year's Ellsbury, but not nearly as much as last year's Beckett and Lester.  Only Buchholz is competent right now.  Cook is up and down, ditto Doubront, etc.  One reliable starter is not enough.  Two--assuming Lester might be turning things around--might not be.  When you look at won-loss records in the AL--on mlb.com they are right next to team ERA's--it is very clearly the really lousy pitching staffs, without exception have losing records. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

We probably have 2,314 threads about "it's about pitching".  Welcome to baseball world.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Better pitching would make them a good team but not a great team.

Who's at Short Stop?  What type of production have they gotten from the Catcher.  Left field anyone?  AGon has been terrible compared to his history.  Pedroia's performance, albeit due to injury, has been off as has Ellsbury (when he's been in the line up).

This team was undergunned from the get go and the guns they did have under performed.  Yes, there has been injuries, but better pitching wouldn't have prevented the injuries.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SOXNVA. Show SOXNVA's posts

While yes, I would agree that the pitching sucks this year, the reason for the losses is due to the lack of hitting in times of bad pitching. Have you noticed that when the Sox score a lot of runs, the pitching is not all that bad? When the pitching sucks, so does the run production. Balancing these two aspects of the game would result in more wins.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Here is what I think , you may agree or disagree :

Beckett has reached a point in his career where he cannot rely on his fastball anymore. He really does not possess a good off-speed pitch his breaking ball is below average. This is a guy who has relied on his fastball since he was a rookie. Most pitchers who are primarily fastball pitchers reach a point where you find a new "out pitch", splitter, cutter, circle change, or forkball , these usually are good for getting out batters that sit on a fastball. Beckett hasn't got a good second pitch and they are hitting a lot of homeruns by sitting dead red. Beckett needs to change his approach or it's all over.

Lester fell in love with his cutter. Since he is not Mariano Rivera , he needs to use it more sparingly. He could also use a second QUALITY pitch. He also needs to cut down on his walks. This has been a problem for him since he first came into the league.

Buchholz is still improving. I like what I see. He has a good change-up and he has a decent fastball. This kid needs to step out of the shadow of Lester and Beckett and gain a little more confidence. He is ace material...he needs a little more self esteem. I see him getting better.

Cook is garbage unless he keeps his sinker down. He elevates his sinker too often. He could be a good relief pitcher, but as a starter , I don't think he has the stuff.

Morales is a much better pitcher than I thought he would be. This guy is a keeper. Put him in the rotation.

Aceves should not be closing. He doesn't have the stuff to be a closer. although he is a gamer and will do anything to help the team, I think he had his mind set on making this rotation in Spring and his heart sank when he was sent to the pen.

Bard needs to go back to relief. he will never be a starter. Papelbon originally was a starter and embraced being a late inning reliever. Bard is a lot like Papelbon in his pitching style.

Matsuzaka was all hype, no substance. He cannot locate his pitches where he wants to. Batters are aware of his wildness and will take pitches forever, get his pitch count up, and walk around the bases. I will be shocked if you ever see this guy in the majors again.

Dubront has had decent season, if he was getting support from the 1-2-3 starters , he would be considered a Godsend as a #5 starter, but with the others tanking, he has more pressure on him. He'll be fine.

Lackey simply has too many fans and media that will never like him. He has so few friends outside the clubhouse that he is booed more than the opposing players. He needs a change of scenery. I simply do not see the
    unrelentingly viscious Boston media ever letting up on him. The sad part is, he tried to not be a quitter and play through a painful arm injury...but he was ineffective and lost alot of games....so everyone hates him.

Not many of the bullpen pitchers really excite me. We don't have a Timlin out there. But I think many of them have done a reasonably good job, considering none of them are great pitchers. Atchison was a rock until he got hurt. Miller has done fairly well. Melancon and Bailey could be better in future, just haven't seen enough Bailey yet, and what little of Melancon I've seen tells me he's not fully developed yet.

But, my question is: what is the pitching coach doing besides sitting in the dugout looking disgusted? Is this guy comatose? I haven't seen enough changes considering the whole season has been a bust pitching staff -wise. Shouldn't there be some visable adjustments or are we doomed to seeing the same mistakes repeated over and over again?