It's the Schedule Stupid....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

It's the Schedule Stupid....

Remember when 1/2 the board was in full on panic mode about a week ago and the sane people were saying, "after the NYY series the schedule breaks in the Red Sox favor for 20+ games...."  Well here we are.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: It's the Schedule Stupid....

In Response to It's the Schedule Stupid....:
    [QUOTE]Remember when 1/2 the board was in full on panic mode about a week ago and the sane people were saying, "after the NYY series the schedule breaks in the Red Sox favor for 20+ games...."  Well here we are.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

Yes.. tough schedule was one of the factors for the Sox' bad start.  But the main reason was the pitching I believe.  SP AND BP..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Remember when 1/2 the board was in full on panic mode about a week ago and the sane people were saying, "after the NYY series the schedule breaks in the Red Sox favor for 20+ games...."  Well here we are.

yeah.  and, the way i see it, pass or fail, going through an early gauntlet of that magnitude is good in the long run.  You learn what is what early (uh, bullpen shaky?  check) and then you move to rectify early.  and build toughness and charcter? check.  much-needed bonding through adversity?  check.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: It's the Schedule Stupid....:
    [QUOTE]In Response to It's the Schedule Stupid.... : Yes.. tough schedule was one of the factors for the Sox' bad start.  But the main reason was the pitching I believe.  SP AND BP..
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

A big thing in general during that early stumble was simply -- baseball. By that I mean that in the short term, sometimes a team never gets the breaks and can't click.

Early on, when the Sox got great pitching (Lester's first two starts), the hitting stunk. Or they'd get the hitting and starting pitching, but the bullpen stunk. Or the starting pitching stunk, the bullpen was great but the hitting stunk. Etc.

Over the course of the season, if a team has talent, things will start to click. That's what is beginning to happen. Like the other night. The bullpen stunk, but the starting pitching and hitting was good enough. Instead of getting just on of the three (starting, bullpen, hitting) working, they're getting 2 of the three consistently. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: It's the Schedule Stupid.... : A big thing in general during that early stumble was simply -- baseball. By that I mean that in the short term, sometimes a team never gets the breaks and can't click. Early on, when the Sox got great pitching (Lester's first two starts), the hitting stunk. Or they'd get the hitting and starting pitching, but the bullpen stunk. Or the starting pitching stunk, the bullpen was great but the hitting stunk. Etc. Over the course of the season, if a team has talent, things will start to click. That's what is beginning to happen. Like the other night. The bullpen stunk, but the starting pitching and hitting was good enough. Instead of getting just on of the three (starting, bullpen, hitting) working, they're getting 2 of the three consistently. 
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

You left out the defense, something we are very weak at right now. Fortunately, that aspect has not been exposed to any degree just yet.
    We've had a few misplayed balls that were scored hits and have been overlooked, but as long as the offense is scoring runs, maybe those will continue to be overlooked.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Yes, that is part of it....  However, the "tweaks" are slowly being made.....   Ben C. & Bobby V. will make changes as they go along !!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Bump

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

"This was our big mistake, Terry...we didn't do our "tweaks" slowly....we didn't make changes as we went along."

"Theo , you tweaked this team more often than Bill Clinton tweaked Lewinsky's behind!"

"But, I didn't have as much fun."

"And we never got invited for chicken and beer, either."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]   Yes, that is part of it....  However, the "tweaks" are slowly being made.....   Ben C. & Bobby V. will make changes as they go along !!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

Yeah Bill.  The tweaks.  And, of the non-tweaks, the spring training tough decisions that they have stuck with are looking like they were good ones.  Bard.  Aviles.  Doubront (though that was a no-brainer the way he came into camp and just flat out demanded, with his performance, that they put him in the rotation).  So, they have done a good job thus far of learning on the fly, in tough situations) and responding correctly, whether standing pat or making the tweaks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

You're right on the money thesemen. Opening up against the guys we did is a tough row to hoe. I don't think the pitching was even as bad as it looked. Detroit, Texas and New York can make anybody's pitching staff look bad. BTW if I haven't mentioned it I really like your avatar. That's a great picture of Pedro. He was the best pitcher the Red Sox ever had for a few years there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]   Yes, that is part of it....  However, the "tweaks" are slowly being made.....   Ben C. & Bobby V. will make changes as they go along !!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

Bill, 

Much quicker and all they are doing is knee jerks.  That's not
    managing, that's panicking.

You gotta remember they had a whole band of guys rehabbing or prepping at Pawtucket for the if and when they were/are needed.

Just like your post about Hill coming.  Just one example.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]"This was our big mistake, Terry...we didn't do our "tweaks" slowly....we didn't make changes as we went along." "Theo , you tweaked this team more often than Bill Clinton tweaked Lewinsky's behind!" "But, I didn't have as much fun." "And we never got invited for chicken and beer, either."
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Funny!

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Be interesting how we fare against poor team but quality pitcher tonite. I look for a L.
    Posted by teddybaseball009[/QUOTE]Way to be optimistic.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]You're right on the money thesemen. Opening up against the guys we did is a tough row to hoe. I don't think the pitching was even as bad as it looked. Detroit, Texas and New York can make anybody's pitching staff look bad. BTW if I haven't mentioned it I really like your avatar. That's a great picture of Pedro. He was the best pitcher the Red Sox ever had for a few years there.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Back at ya Carnie.  Papi continues to be one of the great hitters in Red Sox history.

Starting out the year playing 4-5 series against 2011 play-off teams is about as tough a start as you can get.  All the off the field, media driven stuff was just compounded by the tough schedule, plus the collapse last year and it just built on itself.  Everyone was waiting for the Sox to stumble out of the gate and when they did the pressure needlessly built and they were playing a schedule that made turning it around much tougher.

It is amazing how the national media was all over the Red Sox every night,  when they were losing early and now they've won 5 straight and no one is saying a thing.  Really kind of fuels the "Us against the world" attitude b/c clearly people are a lot more entertained seeing them fail. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: It's the Schedule Stupid.... : Back at ya Carnie.  Papi continues to be one of the great hitters in Red Sox history. Starting out the year playing 4-5 series against 2011 play-off teams is about as tough a start as you can get.  All the off the field, media driven stuff was just compounded by the tough schedule, plus the collapse last year and it just built on itself.  Everyone was waiting for the Sox to stumble out of the gate and when they did the pressure needlessly built and they were playing a schedule that made turning it around much tougher. It is amazing how the national media was all over the Red Sox every night,  when they were losing early and now they've won 5 straight and no one is saying a thing.  Really kind of fuels the "Us against the world" attitude b/c clearly people are a lot more entertained seeing them fail. 
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]I know huh? The Sox are on a roll and what does Mazz write? A hit piece on Crawford. I like our team this year and I think we'll be right in the thick of things at the end of the year. I actually started using Papi as my avatar when half the board wanted to cut him after his wrist surgery. I always knew Papi would get back to being Papi.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to "Re: It's the Schedule Stupid....": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: It's the Schedule Stupid.... : You left out the defense, something we are very weak at right now. Fortunately, that aspect has not been exposed to any degree just yet. We've had a few misplayed balls that were scored hits and have been overlooked, but as long as the offense is scoring runs, maybe those will continue to be overlooked. Posted by harv53[/QUOTE] Everyone said the defense was awful last year too, and they were wrong.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to It's the Schedule Stupid.... : yeah.  and, the way i see it, pass or fail, going through an early gauntlet of that magnitude is good in the long run.  You learn what is what early (uh, bullpen shaky?  check) and then you move to rectify early.  and build toughness and charcter? check.  much-needed bonding through adversity?  check.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

great point! we all knew the BP was going to be bad when bailey went down but who knew it would be THIS bad. now we have all season to work on it

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

It's amazing.  You win more when you play weaker teams, and win less when you play better teams.  How is it that this needs to be explained to people each year?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]It's amazing.  You win more when you play weaker teams, and win less when you play better teams.  How is it that this needs to be explained to people each year?
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]Because most people are dense?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

The Red Sox got a break in Minn. but in Chicago they have just played very well.

They are on the road, it is harder.  Give them credit right now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

I'm actually surprised given our injuries, pitching issues, and the schedule, that we're doing as well as we are. I pointed to all 3 issues, and did so PRIOR to Ells going down. Can we make the playoffs this year? Yes. Is it likely? No. Any advice for senior management? YES. Stay the course! Do NOT exceed the luxury tax threshold for this season. Allow it to shrink to 17% for next yr. instead of rising from 30-40%. Do not get sucked into trying to fix something beyond our ability this season. Next year, that's the time to strike. Then spend, and I mean spend BIG next season. Give this almost championship caliber team the tools necessary to go for the ring. We should fight hard to win this season, knowing well that the odds don't favor us. WE should continue to shape the culture in that clubhouse, get our injured guys back when they're due.  Next year is our year, unless we blow it with innefectual half measures designed to soothe a restless fanbase. Stay the course John.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

It's the Schedule Stupid?? So what your saying is Sox will beat the bad teams and lose to the good teams?  I just thought it might have been their pitching?? I hope they just play the bad teams the rest of the way. Does the schedule call for that? I'm sorry i just might be stupid ?  Great post smart AZZ........

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to It's the Schedule Stupid.... : It's the Schedule Stupid?? So what your saying is Sox will beat the bad teams and lose to the good teams?  I just thought it might have been their pitching?? I hope they just play the bad teams the rest of the way. Does the schedule call for that? I'm sorry i just might be stupid ?  Great post smart AZZ........
    Posted by donrd4[/QUOTE]
    OR it could just be a matter of a team starting slowly and then finding itself.  There's a whole lot to be said for a team's putting together some wins and getting confidence.

The only real benchmark for how good a team is going to be is to compare them to other teams and the first two series for the Sox, Tigers, and maybe the Rangers is a prime example of "SMALL SAMPLE SIZE".  The Sox are not as bad as they played against the Tigers and the Tigers aren't as good as they played against the Sox.  The same with the Sox and Rangers... I hope!

Wins and losses are important at any time of year but early season wins and losses may not be indicative of how good a team is.  Once late July and August come along and the adrenalyn and newness has worn off, that's when the talented teams show themselves.  Their challenge is to stay in the race until then so they'll be in a position to make a move when the pretenders begin to fail.