It's Time to Start looking for the 2013 Team.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TampaGolfer. Show TampaGolfer's posts

It's Time to Start looking for the 2013 Team.

I've said this before, but it's worth writing again. This team, in 2012 was #3 in run production until the last month when BV gave up and the team became a AAA showcase and even though it was mostly a AAA club all season. This team is not in a dire situation, unless they can't get players to buy into whatever attitude system BC tries to construct.

The new players indicated are legit, but the feel I am going for is that this type of talent and this type of investment. 

Here's a viable couple of options to make this team immediately competitive in 2013.  

1. Corey Hart - 1B - Likes Wisc., but is sick of losing. $9MM in 2012 - Sign him to 3 yrs at $12MM and he's 33 when the contract is up.  

2. Use a couple of the up and comers to trade with the Rockies to get Carlos Gonzales. He made $7.5MM in 2012 and he's 26. Sign him to 5yrs. $50MM  

3. Starting lineup:

1. Els  
    2. Petey  
    3. Ortiz  
    4. Hart  
    5. Gonzo  
    6. Ross  
    7. Middlebrooks  
    8. Salty/Lavarnway  
    9. Iglesias  

4. Bench consists of:

1. Ciriaco  
    2. Aviles  
    3. Nava  
    4. Gomez  
    5. Podsednik - he deserves it  

Now for Pitching:  

1. Lester  
    2. Buchholz  
    3. Lackey - Yes I said Lackey  
    4. New guy  
    5. Doubrant/Hill/Miller  

Bullpen:  

1. Tazawa  
    2. Atchison  
    3. Breslow  
    4. Melanson/Hill/Miller  
    5. Bailey - Closer  

IF, and it's a big IF, the starters whom have been solid for the entire careers just do their job, to quote Coach Belichick, the wins look like this:  

1. Lester - 15  
    2. Buchholz- 15  
    3. Lackey - 13  
    4. New Guy - 13  
    5. Mix - 13  
    We win!!  

Just My Thoughts!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: It's Time to Start looking for the 2013 Team.

The Milwaukee Brewers have Corey Hart under contract through next season at a 2013 salary of $10 million. Hart can block a trade to 15 teams under his limited no-trade clause and might not want to come to Boston if he "is sick of losing."

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/?page_id=71

The Colorado Rockies have Carlos Gonzalez under contract through the 2017 season at salaries of $7.5 million in 2013, $10.5 million in 2014, $16 million in 2015, $17 million in 2016 and $20 million in 2017:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/?page_id=125

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

the current crop of signable FA's this year is horrid...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to TampaGolfer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've said this before, but it's worth writing again. This team, in 2012 was #3 in run production until the last month when BV gave up and the team became a AAA showcase and even though it was mostly a AAA club all season. This team is not in a dire situation, unless they can't get players to buy into whatever attitude system BC tries to construct.

The new players indicated are legit, but the feel I am going for is that this type of talent and this type of investment. 

Here's a viable couple of options to make this team immediately competitive in 2013.  

1. Corey Hart - 1B - Likes Wisc., but is sick of losing. $9MM in 2012 - Sign him to 3 yrs at $12MM and he's 33 when the contract is up.  

2. Use a couple of the up and comers to trade with the Rockies to get Carlos Gonzales. He made $7.5MM in 2012 and he's 26. Sign him to 5yrs. $50MM  

3. Starting lineup:

1. Els  
    2. Petey  
    3. Ortiz  
    4. Hart  
    5. Gonzo  
    6. Ross  
    7. Middlebrooks  
    8. Salty/Lavarnway  
    9. Iglesias  

4. Bench consists of:

1. Ciriaco  
    2. Aviles  
    3. Nava  
    4. Gomez  

Now for Pitching:  

1. Lester  
    2. Buchholz  
    4. New guy  
    5. Doubrant/Hill/Miller  

Bullpen:  

1. Tazawa  
    2. Atchison  
    3. Breslow  
    4. Melanson/Hill/Miller  
    5. Bailey - Closer  

IF, and it's a big IF, the starters whom have been solid for the entire careers just do their job, to quote Coach Belichick, the wins look like this:  

1. Lester - 15  
    2. Buchholz- 15  
    3. Lackey - 13  
    4. New Guy - 13  
    5. Mix - 13  
    We win!!  

Just My Thoughts!

[/QUOTE]

What i want to know is how do you know what each player wants and how you spend Henry's money???

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

only an idiot like theo epstein would be excited about that group of mostly overpaid dreck.

[/QUOTE]

How can we talk about refurbishing the team when once again we are playing musical chairs with the manager's position.  Remember?  Cherington wanted to hit the ground running this off season but it looks a lot like a replay of last year's off season---and has anyone noticed that in almost every picture of Cherington there also sits Larry Lucchino.  You have to wonder if.....

1. Henry knows of Cherries ineptness and wants his pal Larry to keep him under wraps..or

2. Lucchino is just meddling again and wants to be the power behind the GM...or

3. Cherington is in over his head and needs Larry "counseling" because of Cherington's lack of confidence, his risk aversion, inability to make a decision or total lack of judging baseball talent.

All in all, it looks like we may be talking about this again this time next season unless Prune Face Henry takes charge and delegates who is charge of which.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

only an idiot like theo epstein would be excited about that group of mostly overpaid dreck.

[/QUOTE]

How can we talk about refurbishing the team when once again we are playing musical chairs with the manager's position.  Remember?  Cherington wanted to hit the ground running this off season but it looks a lot like a replay of last year's off season---and has anyone noticed that in almost every picture of Cherington there also sits Larry Lucchino.  You have to wonder if.....

1. Henry knows of Cherries ineptness and wants his pal Larry to keep him under wraps..or

2. Lucchino is just meddling again and wants to be the power behind the GM...or

3. Cherington is in over his head and needs Larry "counseling" because of Cherington's lack of confidence, his risk aversion, inability to make a decision or total lack of judging baseball talent.

All in all, it looks like we may be talking about this again this time next season unless Prune Face Henry takes charge and delegates who is charge of which.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

What do you guys think about Dan Harden?

He is a free agent.  He had a down-year with the Angels (12-13 with a 4.33 ERA).  

I think he would be a fine addition.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]What do you guys think about Dan Harden?

He is a free agent.  He had a down-year with the Angels (12-13 with a 4.33 ERA).  

I think he would be a fine addition.[/QUOTE]

Dan Haren (no "d") becomes a free agent only if the Angels pay a hefty $3.5 million buyout of the $15.5 million club option for 2013.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dan Haren (no "d") becomes a free agent only if the Angels pay a hefty $3.5 million buyout of the $15.5 million club option for 2013.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the clarification.   :)

I wonder if the Angels will keep him or not. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Depends on how things work out with Grainke...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to TampaGolfer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

3. Starting lineup:

1. Els  
    2. Petey  
    3. Ortiz  
    4. Hart  
    5. Gonzo  
    6. Ross  
    7. Middlebrooks  
    8. Salty/Lavarnway  
    9. Iglesias  

4. Bench consists of:

1. Ciriaco  
    2. Aviles  
    3. Nava  
    4. Gomez  

Now for Pitching:  

1. Lester  
    2. Buchholz  
    4. New guy  
    5. Doubrant/Hill/Miller  

Bullpen:  

1. Tazawa  
    2. Atchison  
    3. Breslow  
    4. Melanson/Hill/Miller  
    5. Bailey - Closer  

1. Lester - 15  
    2. Buchholz- 15  
    3. Lackey - 13  
    4. New Guy - 13  
    5. Mix - 13  
    We win!!  

Just My Thoughts!

[/QUOTE]

I dont see either player wearing a Sox uniform next year. Also, you forgot Doubront in the starting rotation. The Sox offense is not the problem. They had a ton of injuries to key players and honestly, not much timely hitting.

We have a couple prospects that are within a year away and a couple more 1-2 years.

On offense, IMO, we could get by with a couple 1-2 year low cost deals with guys like Hunter, Ludwick (if his option isnt picked up) or guys like that.

Another possible option is the Rangers or reds. Both have suggested they are/were interested in Ellsbury. Maybe deal involving Ells to either team will be made. Pitching, 1b, and OF are the needs of the Sox...Maybe an Ellsbury trade could provide this.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Depends on how things work out with Grainke...

[/QUOTE]

The Angels have said they would like to work out a deal with Him and Torii Hunter...

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Haren is interesting, but he is going to be 33 years old. I think I prefer either paying Greinke what it is going to take, or making a trade rather than signing any of the other free agents. Even Kuroda, who is coming off a very good year at 38 years old will be very expensive.

I am intrigued what Lackey can do if healthy, and feel he could out perform both Kuroda and Haren.

This staff would be very interesting with Greinke, Lester, Bucholz, Lackey and Doubie...and I think the process has to start of getting Rubby, Tazawa and Morales up to triple digit innings this year. These 8 guys, plus Bard, Bailey, Miller, Aceves, Melancon could form the best staff in the AL imo...

Assuming the resigning of Papi and Ross, this team w/b 1 middle of the order bat away from contending next year

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I hope Torii Hunter remains the expensive loser liability on another team's payroll. He's old, a racist, and a career MLB albatross loser.

[/QUOTE]

You old charmer, you.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

"I've said this before, but it's worth writing again. This team, in 2012 was #3 in run production until the last month when BV gave up............"

Excuse me? Who gave up? I'm sure you meant to say the Front Office gave up. They were the ones who blew the team up with that blockbuster deal. You need to get your facts straight.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There are several FA's that are worth looking at. Yes, there are many that are aged, but many that could be offered 1 or 2 year deals that can still produce. Berkman, A Jones, Hafner, Hunter...just to name a few.

Then there are some young guys like D. Young, Bourn, Napoli, Upton; i'd even take a shopt at Sizemore.

Pitchers are there too. Greinke, Harden, Vallanueva, McCarthy, Jackson, etc.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

A trade that involves Ellsbury and a few more players from a prospect pool that includes farm hands that are blocked currently or by what is acquired after the trade. It's not about Ellsbury, it's about Ellsbury and other players in a trade package.

[/QUOTE]

posted at 10/17/2012 08:51:11 EDT

• TrotterNixon
    • First: 07/03/2012
    • Last: 10/18/2012

3. Starting lineup:

1. Els

Nice, you start the lineup with a 10 million dollar 2013 loser.

Who would trade for a "$10M 2013 loser"?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

A trade that involves Ellsbury and a few more players from a prospect pool that includes farm hands that are blocked currently or by what is acquired after the trade. It's not about Ellsbury, it's about Ellsbury and other players in a trade package.

[/QUOTE]

posted at 10/17/2012 08:51:11 EDT

• TrotterNixon
    • First: 07/03/2012
    • Last: 10/18/2012

3. Starting lineup:

1. Els

Nice, you start the lineup with a 10 million dollar 2013 loser.

[/QUOTE]

I named 2 possible destinations...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

My revised 25

Starting Lineup

Jacoby Ellsbury CF - Dustin Pedroia 2B - Ike Davis 1B - David Ortiz DH - Will Middlebrooks 3B - Cody Ross RF - Jarrod Saltalamacchia C - Jerry Sands LF - Jose Iglesias SS

Bench

Ryan Lavarnway C/DH - Pedro Ciriaco Util - Daniel Nava LF - Ryan Sweeney OF

Starting Rotation

Jon Lester - Clay Bucholz - Jake Peavy - Felix Doubront - John Lackey

Bullpen

Franklin Morales - Junichi Tazawa - Andrew Miller - Alex Wilson - Mark Melancon - Chris Carpenter - Andrew Bailey

Added to 40

Allen Webster, Bryce Brentz, Daniel Bard, Danny Valencia, Drake Britton, Ivan De Jesus, Jackie Bradley Jr., Jeremy Hazelbaker, Josh Fields, Juan Carlos Linares, Mauro Gomez, Rubby De La Rosa, Ryan Kalish, Stolmy Pimentel, Xander Bogaerts

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]

I named 2 possible destinations...

Again, you miss the point- no surprise there. 

You have continually bashed Ellsbury and even labelled him a "4th OF'er" during the 2011 season. Then, you suggest outlandish deals that return us players of the highest quality, which implies that Ellsbury has very high value.

.....don't ape that "must offer 12 to 13M one year deal or more...

Unless we trade Ellsbury before the arb process is complete, he will be paid about $10M or so. If we want to trade him, but haven't by this time, we'll have to pay him about that amount. The way you talk, doing that makes Ben a loser, so one could assume raher than be a "loser", Ben would have to rush to trade him before making a fool of himself in your eyes by siging him 10 $10M, even if he fully intends tio trade him afterwards.

If Ben does decide to keep Ellsbury, and I hope he does not, he must offer him a ceratin amount of money as set forth by the rules in order to gain the draft pick. Again, if he listens to your ideas, we'd lose the pick.

(BTW, I don't hear you mouthing off about us getting 2 picks anymore. I guess your "legal secretary" filled you in on what the actual rules state, or something) You seemed so sure of yourself just a few weeks ago. Instead, just... cricketts....)