It's Time to Start looking for the 2013 Team.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: It's Time to Start looking for the 2013 Team.

My revised 25

Starting Lineup

Jacoby Ellsbury CF - Dustin Pedroia 2B - Ike Davis 1B - David Ortiz DH - Will Middlebrooks 3B - Cody Ross RF - Jarrod Saltalamacchia C - Jerry Sands LF - Jose Iglesias SS

Bench

Ryan Lavarnway C/DH - Pedro Ciriaco Util - Daniel Nava LF - Ryan Sweeney OF

Starting Rotation

Jon Lester - Clay Bucholz - Jake Peavy - Felix Doubront - John Lackey

Bullpen

Franklin Morales - Junichi Tazawa - Andrew Miller - Alex Wilson - Mark Melancon - Chris Carpenter - Andrew Bailey

Added to 40

Allen Webster, Bryce Brentz, Daniel Bard, Danny Valencia, Drake Britton, Ivan De Jesus, Jackie Bradley Jr., Jeremy Hazelbaker, Josh Fields, Juan Carlos Linares, Mauro Gomez, Rubby De La Rosa, Ryan Kalish, Stolmy Pimentel, Xander Bogaerts

I'm assuming you are trading Aceves.

I'd have to say Breslow is a sure bet to make the 12 man staff in 2013, and these guys have a better chance than Wilson and Carpenter:

Mortensen, Atchison, and R. Hill (if healthy)

I might even give Bard a better shot than these 3.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

My revised 25

Starting Lineup

Jacoby Ellsbury CF - Dustin Pedroia 2B - Ike Davis 1B - David Ortiz DH - Will Middlebrooks 3B - Cody Ross RF - Jarrod Saltalamacchia C - Jerry Sands LF - Jose Iglesias SS

Bench

Starting Rotation

Bullpen

Franklin Morales - Junichi Tazawa - Andrew Miller - Alex Wilson - Mark Melancon - Chris Carpenter - Andrew Bailey

Added to 40

Allen Webster, Bryce Brentz, Daniel Bard, Danny Valencia, Drake Britton, Ivan De Jesus, Jackie Bradley Jr., Jeremy Hazelbaker, Josh Fields, Juan Carlos Linares, Mauro Gomez, Rubby De La Rosa, Ryan Kalish, Stolmy Pimentel, Xander Bogaerts

I'd have to say Breslow is a sure bet to make the 12 man staff in 2013, and these guys have a better chance than Wilson and Carpenter:

I'd have to wonder about Melancon in the Boston bullpen too. He hasn't shown much with the big club so far.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

My revised 25

Starting Lineup

Bench

Starting Rotation

Bullpen

Added to 40

I'd have to wonder about Melancon in the Boston bullpen too. He hasn't shown much with the big club so far.

Melancon showed great poise and a more "firey", as he stated, attitude when he came in against the Yankees and shut them down in the final series. I think he will be fine.

We have too many LHP in the bullpen right now, so look for 1 or 2 of them to be involved in a trade.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Melancon showed great poise and a more "firey", as he stated, attitude when he came in against the Yankees and shut them down in the final series. I think he will be fine.

We have too many LHP in the bullpen right now, so look for 1 or 2 of them to be involved in a trade.

I hope you're right, it would be nice if we wound up with something useful out of the Lowrie trade.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The more I think about, the Sox really should not even bother trying to move Ellsbury.

He's not coming off a grat year, or even a good one.  He has missed too many games in the past 3 years.  And there are too many other CF available this off-season.  And if anyone believes Jackie Bradley is the future (or even Ryan Kalish is), the Sox should still have a one year stopgap unitl wither takes over.  And really, who is the best option for a one year stopgap CF? (Hint: Ellsbury.)

As much as I am not  fan, I think the Sox could and should pursue Michael Morse for one of their 1B/LF openings.   If Washington will, as reported, need to rebuild their bullpen, this is one of the few areas the Sox have a surplus in.  Melancon and Miller for Morse?  The deal works with regards to filling team needs as well as any desire for alliteration.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

In response to notin's comment:

The more I think about, the Sox really should not even bother trying to move Ellsbury.

He's not coming off a grat year, or even a good one.  He has missed too many games in the past 3 years.  And there are too many other CF available this off-season.  And if anyone believes Jackie Bradley is the future (or even Ryan Kalish is), the Sox should still have a one year stopgap unitl wither takes over.  And really, who is the best option for a one year stopgap CF? (Hint: Ellsbury.)

As much as I am not  fan, I think the Sox could and should pursue Michael Morse for one of their 1B/LF openings.   If Washington will, as reported, need to rebuild their bullpen, this is one of the few areas the Sox have a surplus in.  Melancon and Miller for Morse?  The deal works with regards to filling team needs as well as any desire for alliteration.

Notin, what you state about Ellsbury is very true.  His value in a trade is very low right now, but his potential value to the Sox is still pretty high.  If you are not high on Morse (which I am not either), what do you think about Ike Davis?  The Mets also need bullpen help.  Or Kendry Morales/Mark Trumbo?  Their bullpen is maybe the biggest reason Aneheim didn't make the playoffs.  It'd obviously take more than two bullpen arms, but we now have prospect depth and I'd much rather get a run producing in-his-prime 1B than a manager with those chips.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Like Morse, I havew mentioned Kendrys Morales a few times, too, since he will reportedly be available.

I like Davis, whose struggles this year were largely helped by some seriously bad luck.  With some normal luck, he would have hit . 260 / .346 / .440, which isn't great, but also not bad for a guy coming off Valley Fever.    However, how much do the Mets want?  They aren't going to move Davis for, say, Lavarnway, even though they need a catcher badly enough to acquire Kelly Shoppach.   Reportedly, the interest in moving Davis is about the desire to fill multiple holes on the Mets, and not to move Davis. 

Now, if the Sox wuld settle for Duda, he might be available for Lavarnway.  But should the Sox  bother?  It's not out of the realm of possiblity that Duda isn't even an upgrade over Jerry Sands...

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The problem lies in the Dbacks wanting very little part of Ellsbury, especially since they are alrady trying to sell off some outfield talent.

Upton would be an outstanding addition in Boston, but it is very doubtful Ellsbury is part of the deal that gets him, thrid team or not.  He simply isn't going to even be worth moving in a buyer's market for CF.

Arizona is going to want a SS at some point, and reportedly looking for a veteran SP.  The latter part seems odd, because they currently have Kennedy and Hudson in front of their score of rookie talent.  But if they want to keep Bauer and Skaggs IP down this year, it does make sense.

The Sox really do not have a SS to move for Upton, and that is the problem.  Mike Aviles is a utility infielder, and certainly the Dbacks have hgher aspirations.  They already have John McDonald and Willie Bloomquist in that role, and are unlikely to want a third.  Iglesias might tempt them, but also is not going to be wothy of star-caliber in a trade.

That means, to get Upton, the Sox might need to part with a veteran SP, and presumably one not named Lackey.  The DBacks might be interested in Lester.  Lester's down year was really all at Fenway, where the DBacks play very few games.

However, if I had to predict anything, I would guess Upton goes to Texas for Elvis Andrus and Derek Holland.  There may be anther name otw involved from either side...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Again, you miss the point- no surprise there.

No, you injected no point at all.

Then why respond to nothing at all?

You have continually bashed Ellsbury and even labelled him a "4th OF'er" during the 2011 season.

Any player that can't show up for work, in his late twenties, for nearly two entire seasons in the last three years deserves the continuing bashing that it took to force Tim Wakefield off the Red Sox contract good ole boy payroll.

You lose everytime you change every subject you are wrong about to Wakefield or VTek.

I never labelled him "a 4th OF'er" in 2011, which is your backhanded attempt to puff his 2011 season as if it was a reflection of the player he is.

You most certainly did, and did it over and over again. You wanted cameron starting in CF, even against RHPs. Your lies do not help your attempt to always seem morally superior to everyone.

Pedroia and AGon had big years, along with Ortiz, but all the hype from Red Sox doting fans was on their favorite "game changer" player. I'd like to see the bums numbers in Oakland. Because of his pretzel constitution, Ellspuff should be a platoon player who plays a little more season games than Jed Lowrie averages.

So, AZ will trade Upron for a puffy platoon player & lower prospects. That makes sense for them.

Then, you suggest outlandish deals that return us players of the highest quality, which implies that Ellsbury has very high value.

I don't suggest any deals, I provide the specifics, unlike you and your nonsense about "we need pitching/MCarthbrick". There is nothing outlandish about Ellspuff's draft compensation and 3 or 4 other players from a pool that includes anyone on the farm but Barnes and Bradley, Jr.

OK, it is silly then.

Unless we trade Ellsbury before the arb process is complete, he will be paid about $10M or so. If we want to trade him, but haven't by this time, we'll have to pay him about that amount. The way you talk, doing that makes Ben a loser, so one could assume raher than be a "loser", Ben would have to rush to trade him before making a fool of himself in your eyes by siging him 10 $10M, even if he fully intends tio trade him afterwards.

If Ben does decide to keep Ellsbury, and I hope he does not, he must offer him a ceratin amount of money as set forth by the rules in order to gain the draft pick. Again, if he listens to your ideas, we'd lose the pick.

You patronize with the wit of a dead corpseman.

You do realize you are a sick human being, right?

My point was not to pay him the 10 million, not the arbitration process before or after he's traded. You waste a lot of words trying to make yourself appear to know things that aren't even at issue. If he's traded this winter, the Red Sox don't pay the 10 million. That should go without saying, except you are so inadequate you just injected the obvious to try and make yourself look like you know what you are talking about.

A lot of words here yourself that amount to nothing more than drivel.

(BTW, I don't hear you mouthing off about us getting 2 picks anymore. I guess your "legal secretary" filled you in on what the actual rules state, or something) You seemed so sure of yourself just a few weeks ago. Instead, just... cricketts....)

Hard to mouth off on a message board, shwemp.

No, weeks ago I provided you with a direct quote from the agreement, and you still miscomprehended the words- very funny for a supposed lawyer. You contined to claim that the the pick from the team who loses a pick for signing a qualifying player goes to the team that lost the player. It does not. The only pick the Sox or whoever has him after 2013 would get (assuming they offer a qualifying offer after 2013) would be a supplemental comp pick. That is what I said all along, and you called me and others wrong... over and over again.

I never said "us getting 2 picks". But it's not "us get 1 pick". You've been reading those summaries that mislead how the new compensation system works under the actual new CBA.

You certainly did say we'd get 2 picks- a comp pick and a number 1 from the signing team. You were wrong then. You now deny it, as always, but most of us can see right through your fragile ego and warped ethics.

So, tell us your new position on the draft compensation.

The Red Sox don't need to pay 10 million to get draft compensation, which is important for a player who should have no part of the Red Sox future. For the incompetent, it works like this...

I know your offer, so stop pretneding I think it is a bd deal for the Sox. I'd do it in a heart beat.

Stop confusing me with others who disagree with your offer, because they think the Sox would lose out on the deal.

The deal is silly, because the Diamondbacks can get much more from another team or from us for that matter.

Still waiting for Moonshwemps starting pitcher trade and/or FA acquisition details..........

Frogs.....................................

How many times do I have to post my very specific offers for you to understand?

I have laid out a couple very specific plans that invoilve specific players to trade and sign.  Either your memory is shot, or your secretary (probably your mommy) is on vacation and can't summarize my posts for you to half understand.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The problem lies in the Dbacks wanting very little part of Ellsbury, especially since they are alrady trying to sell off some outfield talent.

Upton would be an outstanding addition in Boston, but it is very doubtful Ellsbury is part of the deal that gets him, thrid team or not.  He simply isn't going to even be worth moving in a buyer's market for CF.

Arizona is going to want a SS at some point, and reportedly looking for a veteran SP.  The latter part seems odd, because they currently have Kennedy and Hudson in front of their score of rookie talent.  But if they want to keep Bauer and Skaggs IP down this year, it does make sense.

The Sox really do not have a SS to move for Upton, and that is the problem.  Mike Aviles is a utility infielder, and certainly the Dbacks have hgher aspirations.  They already have John McDonald and Willie Bloomquist in that role, and are unlikely to want a third.  Iglesias might tempt them, but also is not going to be wothy of star-caliber in a trade.

That means, to get Upton, the Sox might need to part with a veteran SP, and presumably one not named Lackey.  The DBacks might be interested in Lester.  Lester's down year was really all at Fenway, where the DBacks play very few games.

However, if I had to predict anything, I would guess Upton goes to Texas for Elvis Andrus and Derek Holland.  There may be anther name otw involved from either side...

Softy continously bashed Ells and Aviles, then thinks the D-backs will want them and some lesser prospects for Upton. It is as silly as his "Jake & Jed" for Kemp offers.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

Here is my plan-

Resign- Ortiz 2years, Ross 1year

FA Signings- AJ Pierzinski 2years, Torrii Hunter 2years, Kuroda 2 Years Yes I know they are all old but we should be able to sign them to reasonable short term deals.

Trade- Lester, Els & Aceves to Texas for Andrus & Holland

Trade- Franklin Morales, Bard & Lavarnway to KC for Billy Butler

Starting Pitching

Bucholtz

Holland 

Kuroda

Lackey

Duobront

Bullpen

Bailey

Melancon

Miller

Tazawa

Hill

Sandy Rosario

Breslow

Catcher

Pierzinski  Batting 8th

Salty

Infield

Butler 1b  Batting Cleanup

Pedroia 2b  Batting 2nd

Andrus ss  Batting Lead off

Middlebrooks 3b  Batting 7th

Ciraco

Aviles

Outfield

Ross lf  batting 5th

Kalish cf  (Bradley,Jr Mid season?) batting 9th

Hunter rf  batting 6th

Ortiz dh  batting 3rd

Pods or Nava

In Triple A have Bogarts playing a Corner OF position to be ready for 2014

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:

The Red Sox don't need to pay 10 million to get draft compensation, which is important for a player who should have no part of the Red Sox future. For the incompetent, it works like this:

Subtract:

A: Ellsbury for one season plus draft compensation to another team

B: 10 million paid by another team

C: 3 or 4 players from a pool that includes Aviles and anyone on the farm but Barnes and Bradley, Jr. and Bogaerts (swap in Brentz for Bogaerts if the DBacks call the bluff to walk away from the offer, translation, only let Bogaerts go if they won't accept Brentz)

Add:

A: J. Upton

B: 9.75M paid by the Red Sox

Arizona should be less likely to trade Justin Upton after trading Chris Young, another righthand-hitting outfielder, to Oakland today.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

I'd have no interest in trading Lavarnway.  I'd like the Red Sox to find a veteran catcher and trade Saltalamacchia.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to vtfanofcs' comment:

I'd have no interest in trading Lavarnway.  I'd like the Red Sox to find a veteran catcher and trade Saltalamacchia.

1. Saltalamacchia is a veteran catcher.  Why overcomplicate things?

2.  If you want to make trades, you have to give up what other teams want.  For reasons related to control and service time, Lavarnway will be more desirable than Saltalamacchia...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to cassvt2004's comment:

Notin, what you state about Ellsbury is very true.  His value in a trade is very low right now, but his potential value to the Sox is still pretty high.  If you are not high on Morse (which I am not either), what do you think about Ike Davis?  The Mets also need bullpen help.  Or Kendry Morales/Mark Trumbo?  Their bullpen is maybe the biggest reason Aneheim didn't make the playoffs.  It'd obviously take more than two bullpen arms, but we now have prospect depth and I'd much rather get a run producing in-his-prime 1B than a manager with those chips.

I think Ells' value is low to some of us here (OTFB), but maybe 1 year of Ells to another team would be worth more than we think. A players worth depends on a teams needs and current situation and what kind of value they put on those needs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

In response to vtfanofcs' comment:

1. Saltalamacchia is a veteran catcher.  Why overcomplicate things?

2.  If you want to make trades, you have to give up what other teams want.  For reasons related to control and service time, Lavarnway will be more desirable than Saltalamacchia...

If Lavarnway is the more desirable player then the Red Sox should keep him. 

Saltalamacchia's status as a veteran has no bearing on whether or not the catcher the Red Sox bring in should be a veteran or not.

I would choose Lavarnway and pair him up with a catcher not named Saltalamacchia.  Salty could step in for a number of teams and be their starting catcher and therefore has value.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think Ells' value is low to some of us here (OTFB), but maybe 1 year of Ells to another team would be worth more than we think. A players worth depends on a teams needs and current situation and what kind of value they put on those needs.

While there do seem to be a lot of CF'ers available this winter, not many have the upside potential to have a great year like Ellsbury has had (2011). Plus, teams can and often do move the lesser CF'er to a corner slot easily enough.

The fact that Ellsbury's stock has slipped over the past year should have no bearing on the most important factor and question of making a trade:

Is the return in trade greater than the loss is trade?

Folks, let's not kid ourselves, unless we make several major acquisitions over this winter, we are not going to even come close to competing for a ring in 2013. I'm not saying it is impossible for 25 things to all come together at the same time, including a big year by Jacoby, but realistically, it's not anything more than a big long shot. That being said, Jacoby's 2013 value to us is much less than to a team with visions of a  2013 ring. It's the comparative value of Jacoby to us vs a serious contender that tips the balance to seeking a deal. The attached supplemental draft pick for 2014 perhaps has more value than years past, since they will be much more rare with the changes made to the MLB agreement. The team getting Ellsbury this year gets a decent shot at a great season from Ellsbury (his "contract year"), a player with speed & defense is a plus even if he comes up a bit short on repeating 2011 or his career average season:

162 game career numbers:  .297  16  73  (53 SB/ 12 CS) .349/.442/.791

I think it is reasonable to assume he might do this: .300/.360/.465/.825. That, my friends, has a lot of value, and the fact that he could even do much better is a big tease to some GMs.

Yes, his health is a concern, but he has had 550+ PAs is 3 of the past 5 years and an average of 440 over the same period. He will be under 30 for most of the 2013 season. He is playing for his big payday.  Add these factors to the value of the draft pick and the prospect(s) we get in return will not be shabby.

From our point of view, a decent prospect under team control for 3+ years has more value to us, since we will not be competitive until at least 2014.

In a sense, we are trading our 2013 value (Ellsbury) and far away value (comp pick) for 2014-2016+ value. The time period we muct focus on at this time.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The deal is silly, because the Diamondbacks can get much more from another team or from us for that matter.

I like how you say "lower prospects". Pay attention, stooge. Bogearts or Brentz is not a "lower prospect". Draft compensation for Ellspuff is not "a lower prospect.

What is silly is that you can't provide the specifics about this mythical "much more from another team".

In fact, you and your "several trades" isn't specifics. You are always on a fence when it comes to the specifics of your childish infatuation with "an ace".

Again, provide the specifics of the pitcher or pitchers you would acquire, and include the specifics about what you will pay to make sure they are acquired. Just doing that childish nonsense you do with "different scenarios" with the silly caveats "might take more" is absurd.

I know how top shut you up, and it's demanding the specifics on who these pitcher pipe dreams are, which chance from week to week.

Funny how in your recent thread, You "We Need Pitching" Drivel Drones: Put up or Shut Up!!!!!  , you give no specifics yourself, yet demand it from others and all the while acting like a child with your adolescent name calling...Ive not once heard any specifics from you on the pitching...Please, enlighten us.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I like how you say "lower prospects". Pay attention, stooge. Bogearts or Brentz is not a "lower prospect". Draft compensation for Ellspuff is not "a lower prospect.

What is silly is that you can't provide the specifics about this mythical "much more from another team".

In fact, you and your "several trades" isn't specifics. You are always on a fence when it comes to the specifics of your childish infatuation with "an ace".

Again, provide the specifics of the pitcher or pitchers you would acquire, and include the specifics about what you will pay to make sure they are acquired. Just doing that childish nonsense you do with "different scenarios" with the silly caveats "might take more" is absurd.

I know how top shut you up, and it's demanding the specifics on who these pitcher pipe dreams are, which chance from week to week.

Funny how in your recent thread, You "We Need Pitching" Drivel Drones: Put up or Shut Up!!!!!  , you give no specifics yourself, yet demand it from others and all the while acting like a child with your adolescent name calling...Ive not once heard any specifics from you on the pitching...Please, enlighten us.

His plan is the same every year: suggest low offers at a small fraction of a pitcher's true market value. This way, if the pitcher tanks, he can say, "See, I told you he wasn't worth what he got paid!" or if the pitcher does well, he can say, "See, I told you we should have signed him!"

Last year, he suggested offering 3-4 guys $1M contracts. They all signed for $3M or more.

This year, he has made some vague comments about felix being the only pitcher in MLB worthy of trading for, but that "the cost would be too high", so he basically is for status quo with the staff and spending all available resources on upgrading hitting (namely, J Upton) and fielding.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

here is my 2013, and is one that could win games and is still young:

ellsbury (cf) (yes he stays with crawford gone)

pedroia (2B)

j.upton (RF) (doubront, brentz, and a few more spects)

butler (1B) (they have hosmer, butler will likely be available, hes young and had a big year)

ortiz (dh)

middlebrooks (3B)

ross (LF)

Lavarnway/Salty (C)

iglesias (ss)

bench

lava/salty, kalish, sweeney, ciriaco

Staff

Grienke

Lester

Haren

Buchholz

de la rosa/lackey

Pen

Bailey

bard

adams

melancon

hill

breslow

tazawa

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

It's nice to get a Manager now unlike last year when we waited until December.

We now need a hitting coach.  I read an article from Peter Gammons who said that Chili Davis (current A's hitting coach) might come over to the Red Sox.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I heard VTek is the next hitting coach...

....just kiddin'!

Sections
Shortcuts