Its Time.....Who is going to replace Papelbon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Its Time.....Who is going to replace Papelbon

i know  I know.. he had over 30 saves.......but almost every one he had to struggle to get it and look at all the heart attacks he cause when he entered the game.....At 9+ million a year he has to dominate not struggle.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Re: Its Time.....Who is going to replace Papelbon

Keep him if the price and lenght of contract are palatable, let him go if not. Closers for the most part are not that hard to find. There really is only one Mariano Rivera.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I would make a decent run at Paps, I wouldn't go overboard but I wouldn't want to insult him either.  Maybe 3 years at 40 million?

If he walks we get the two draft picks (maybe one I'm not sure with the new cba agreement) and Bard takes over which I'm sure most of us (baring those with extremely short term memories and judge careers based off of the results of a few games) would agree that he can more than adequately fill that role.

My issue is if Bard replaces Paps, then who replaces Bard?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Its Time.....Who is going to replace Papelbon:
    I would make a decent run at Paps, I wouldn't go overboard but I wouldn't want to insult him either.  Maybe 3 years at 40 million? If he walks we get the two draft picks (maybe one I'm not sure with the new cba agreement) and Bard takes over which I'm sure most of us (baring those with extremely short term memories and judge careers based off of the results of a few games) would agree that he can more than adequately fill that role. My issue is if Bard replaces Paps, then who replaces Bard?
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh

I agree that retaining Papelbon should be a priority for the Red Sox.  Bard may be a good closer but would be difficult to replace in his current role.  The Red Sox bullpen was horrible this season and we definitely need some more bullpen help.  Letting Papelbon walk would only add to the Red Sox  current bullpen problems. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3992292. Show user_3992292's posts

Papelbon is coming back.  There are not much talent closer via free agency as well not much talent set up man.  Why you want to break Bard/Papelbon up if they have been doing very well until the month of September.  It is not their fault cuz both Bard/Papelbon pitched more than one innings almost at least four times during the month of September where they blew most of the games.  They were just over-worked.

He is coming back.  Aceves/Bard/Papelbon/Morales/Amber/Jenk(no choice cuz he is under a contract for one more year) are all coming back.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Nobody. But he needs some coaching and guidance that hasn't been there. I wonder, for example, how his approach, and demeaner, would be under Jim Hickey.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Papelbon has said more than once that he want to test the market.    If he leaves, counter the move by signing free agent Heath Bell.   
    Bard doesn't appear ready to take over as the closer.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from accland. Show accland's posts

First of all, according to Cots, Paps was paid $12 million in 2011. He is at the top pay range of relievers. The sox have to offer him arbitration or no compensation draft picks.  This lets him test the market with the safety of a sox job with a raise.  The market for a $12 million plus reliever is very small.  In all liklihood he accepts arbitration from the sox, gets about $14 million and is a free agent again in 2012

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Already at the top of the bracket and didn't have a great year but still wants to test the market?  I'm not fond of guys that only want to play for $$.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

If you are not going to keep him for another 6-7 years, you dont have to pay the guy what he wants.  (like Yankees keeping Mariano Rivera )  There are few closers that can easily take over Paps place with alot less $$$.  We could sign one of FA for 2 years and let Bard progress. 

Heath Bell - Expensive but very reliable.  2 rys 20-22 mil
    Jonathan Broxton - very risky but once was a dominant closer, 2 yrs 15-18 mil
    Francisco Rodriguez - finished year strong, used to be among the top closer, might be back to his form 4 yrs 30 mil (he could be our setup guy once Bard is ready to close)

I would say signing Franky would be the best solution.  Pap will ask more than 12-13 mil a yr for at least 3 yr contract.  That's just waste of money for signing a closer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

I would make a decent run at Paps, I wouldn't go overboard but I wouldn't want to insult him either.  Maybe 3 years at 40 million? If he walks we get the two draft picks (maybe one I'm not sure with the new cba agreement) and Bard takes over which I'm sure most of us (baring those with extremely short term memories and judge careers based off of the results of a few games) would agree that he can more than adequately fill that role. My issue is if Bard replaces Paps, then who replaces Bard?
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh

I agree. Sox should not just let Paps walk away. He had a very nice season and good closers are not that easy to replace. I do agree that Bard would probably be able to handle the closer role, but it is even better having him set up for Paps.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rizzuto1965. Show Rizzuto1965's posts

Allowing Papelbon to walk would be a Yankee fan's dream.  IMO Papelbon proved this season that he is continuing to learn how to pitch, and he appears to have matured as well.  He gets the job done year after year, and that is easy to take for granted.  Truly great closers are rare. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lives2ski. Show lives2ski's posts

The Yankees would be delighted if Soriano opted out in the hopes that the Red Sox would match or top the 2 years and $22 mil he has left on his contract. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I would go with Aceves. He's got the temperment, he works fast, he can be nasty or nice and it would be easier to find a long reliever.

He has closer ability, that can throw a couple of innings, if need be.

I would look to sign him to a long term deal this winter.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

no one can replace pap, so the sox need to sign him and for two years.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

The save like the bunt are over-rated, but having said that, if team doesn't have a reliable closer late inning loses can really drag a team down.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Dear Theo,

Please do not offer Paps anything and let him walk, never to return to RSN.

Sincerely

The Evil Empire

IMO, the Sox have to sign Paps, even if it is 3 at $45 mil. Bard is an exceptional talent, but the Sox are not a team that can take chances and have that situation implode on them.

Broxton and Bell are not the answers either. Although I do like the idea of Soriano opting out and the Sox signing him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4416182. Show user_4416182's posts

Dear Theo, Please do not offer Paps anything and let him walk, never to return to RSN. Sincerely The Evil Empire IMO, the Sox have to sign Paps, even if it is 3 at $45 mil. Bard is an exceptional talent, but the Sox are not a team that can take chances and have that situation implode on them. Broxton and Bell are not the answers either. Although I do like the idea of Soriano opting out and the Sox signing him.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Uh yeah I agree, I think the Sox fans that want to see Papelbon gone need to rethink that.  Granted he had a tough last game but he had a really good season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3992292. Show user_3992292's posts

How often do you see a closer in the 2000's have succeeded from going to one team to another?  Look at all playoff teams, Phillies, Diamondbacks, Rays, Cardinals, etc all have different closers almost every single year, and none of them succeeded while homegrown closers for Rangers, Yankees, Brewers are doing well.

I know Bard is a homegrown player and could be a possible perfect fit closer, but then Boston would eventually need a set up man.  Since Jenk is injure this year and possible may struggle next year at the same time he is making like 5 to 6 millions dollars a year, and then you see Boston signing a new set up man to back up Bard.  What if he cant do his job.   We would all be seeing 12 millions dollars total of two relievers that cant do the job!!  Then we will all be bitching all summer along about them.

Safer way to make the bullpen stronger is to resign Papelbon than finding a decent over-rated or over-paid set up man!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Already at the top of the bracket and didn't have a great year but still wants to test the market? I'm not fond of guys that only want to play for $$.                     

What the hell is your idea that is a great year if 30 saves out of 31 is not????

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Bard is not a closer just check out his save record for the past 4 out of 16.
    He is NOT a closer.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Let me be very clear on this, Yankee fans want to see Paps leave. Think about that for a moment.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4416182. Show user_4416182's posts

Let me be very clear on this, Yankee fans want to see Paps leave. Think about that for a moment.
    Posted by jesseyeric

To the national league....like the Pirates!

Sections
Shortcuts