It's Too Early to be Thinking About This, but...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's Too Early to be Thinking About This, but...

...what teams really have so little hope of competing this year that we can start looking to raid their rosters of salary dump players or players with short year team control contracts left?

(Not likely much will be done before the trade deadline, so I realize this is a bit premature, but hey, it's an off night, so what else is there to thiunk about?)

6-19 Miami

8-18 Houston

9-16 SD

9-17 TOR

10-15 Cubs

11-16 SEA

10-14 CWS

10-13 NYM

10-13 CLE

11-11 MN

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Re: It's Too Early to be Thinking About This, but...

In response to moonslav59's comment:

...what teams really have so little hope of competing this year that we can start looking to raid their rosters of salary dump players or players with short year team control contracts left?

(Not likely much will be done before the trade deadline, so I realize this is a bit premature, but hey, it's an off night, so what else is there to thiunk about?)

6-19 Miami

8-18 Houston

9-16 SD

9-17 TOR

10-15 Cubs

11-16 SEA

10-14 CWS

10-13 NYM

10-13 CLE

11-11 MN

Wow...Boy, you're always thinking, Moon.

I wish I knew enough to give you some intelligent suggestion.  But, you and some of the other guys, I'm sure, have thoughts about it and it certainly will be interesting reading.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here is a short list of possible salary dump players. Sidenote: I am not suggesting we get some of these guys:

Miami: Nolasco ($11.5M then FA)

Houston: None

SD: Quentin ($27M/3 + option in 2016)

Cubs: Soriano ($18M '13 & '14), E Jackson ($52M/4), Garza ($10.25M/1)

CWS: Danks ($14.25M x 4), Dunn ($15M x 2), Peavy ($14.5M x 2), Konerko ($13.5M/1), A Rios ($12.5M x 2 + option for 2015), G Floyd $9.5M/1, A Ramirez ($26.5M/3 + option), Thorton ($5.5M + option for 2014), Crain ($4.5M/1)

NYM: D Wright ($138M/8), Buck ($6M), F Francisco ($6.5M), Marcum ($4M), I Davis ($3.25M + 2 arbs)

MN: Mauer ($23M x 6), Morneau ($14M/1), Willingham ($7M x 2)

CLE: Swisher ($56M/4), Bourn ($48M/4), A Cab ($16.5M/2), Reynolds ($6M), Jimenez ($5.75M), Masterson ($5.7M + 1 arb)

SEA: Felix ($175M/7), Gutierrez ($7M + Opt), Harang ($7M + opt), M Morse ($6.5M), J Saunders ($6.5M), K Morales ($5.25M)

TOR: Too many to list...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

6-19 Miami

8-18 Houston

9-16 SD

9-17 TOR

10-15 Cubs

11-16 SEA

10-14 CWS

10-13 NYM

10-13 CLE

11-11 MN

I guess it's never too early, but right now, barring injury, the only position I could see them upgrading would be left field, and they've received solid production at the position.  It would have to be a Stanton type move.  They have rotation depth, bullpen depth and a solid bench right now.  People don't like Drew, but he's not going anywhere, and even if he did, Iglesias or even Boegarts would get a look before they traded for a SS.  People have concerns about Middlebrooks, but he's obviously not going anywhere either, and he seems to be coming out of his slump.  Many scouts predicted he would get off to a slow start this year, but the Sox fully expect him to make the necessary adjustments. They will give him every opportunity to do so, regardless.  Ortiz, Pedey, Napoli, Ellsbury and Victorino aren't going anywhere, as long as they are winning, and Salty would have to fall off a cliff for them to trade for a starting catcher while they were winning, especially with the depth they have in the minors.  Right now, there doesn't seem to be a need to do anything, but that could obviously change in a hurry.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Here is a short list of possible salary dump players. Sidenote: I am not suggesting we get some of these guys:

CWS: Danks ($14.25M x 4), Dunn ($15M x 2), Peavy ($14.5M x 2), Konerko ($13.5M/1), A Rios ($12.5M x 2 + option for 2015), G Floyd $9.5M/1, A Ramirez ($26.5M/3 + option), Thorton ($5.5M + option for 2014), Crain ($4.5M/1)

NYM: D Wright ($138M/8), Buck ($6M), F Francisco ($6.5M), Marcum ($4M), I Davis ($3.25M + 2 arbs)

CLE: Swisher ($56M/4), Bourn ($48M/4), A Cab ($16.5M/2), Reynolds ($6M), Jimenez ($5.75M), Masterson ($5.7M + 1 arb)

SEA: Felix ($175M/7), Gutierrez ($7M + Opt), Harang ($7M + opt), M Morse ($6.5M), J Saunders ($6.5M), K Morales ($5.25M)

Factoring in the contracts, the only guy that I think could possibly generate interest from the Sox Front Office outside of the White Sox relievers would be Willingham and possibly Rios, barring injury obviously. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

It's not too early to be thinking about what's available, but it's too early to know what they'll need because it'll most likely be based upon injuries.  If healthy, I'm not sure the Red Sox will need much of anything.  The most likely need will be a proven starter, as the current level of performance for the starting 5 is not likely to hold for an entire season.  One key might be Webster's development, in which case, the Red Sox may have an in-house solution. I would think they'd be carefully monitoring his innings now because I'm concerned about another Strasburg situation up the road.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Remember Teams that dump or want to give a good player are going to want Prospects, and this is very dangerous.
    What I want is to get other Teams Prospects, keep building the Farm, the direction well Managed Teams should go.

My dream for the Sox is we go into the Off-Season, not needing any Free Agents, we'll be all set because of a good Farm.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Philadelphia Phillies should be on this list. The Phils have to play WASH/ATL thirtyseven more times this season, and are being outscored despite tthe perception of a strong starting staff. Jimmy Rollins and Chase Utley, both 34, along with Michael Young are prime candidates. They face ARIZONA, SAN FRAN, CINCY, WASH and BOSTON in May, which may be enogh to have them buried by June.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to youkillus' comment:

Philadelphia Phillies should be on this list. The Phils have to play WASH/ATL thirtyseven more times this season, and are being outscored despite tthe perception of a strong starting staff. Jimmy Rollins and Chase Utley, both 34, along with Michael Young are prime candidates. They face ARIZONA, SAN FRAN, CINCY, WASH and BOSTON in May, which may be enogh to have them buried by June.

I've noticed that the Phils have won three straight.  Reports of an early demise may have been premature.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

We'll see. I'm not  a believer in the Phils, their core has aged out and their competition has gotten better. Let's say you and I check back in thirty days.

I've noticed that the Phils have won three straight.  Reports of an early demise may have been premature.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

We'll see. I'm not  a believer in the Phils, their core has aged out and their competition has gotten better. Let's say you and I check back in thirty days.

But with two wildcards, they'll have to really suck to fall out of the race by the trading deadline.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Stanton just went on the DL tonight with a hammy. He missed 5 games earlier already this year. He was trying to beat out a ball hit in front of the plate and sprinted up the line upon the grass, instead of the dirt path.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Anyone over 2 years is unlikely to be dealt.  Teams signed those players for a reason and Marlin-Style firesales are not an every season occurence...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Oakland should probsbly be on that list, too.  Beane has a history of unloading short-term contracts even whkle contending...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

I stopped reading after "It's too early to be thinking about this".  Meaningless, at this point.

You stopped reading in kindergarten: stop the lies.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

I stopped reading after "It's too early to be thinking about this".  Meaningless, at this point.

when would be a good time to think about it?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

when would be a good time to think about it?

Slasher, this was the guy that was talking about trading Drew last week.

(BTW, forgetting that Drew can't be traded until mid-June anyways, so was that a "good time" to talk about that?)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I'm assuming that the Dodgers will not be interested in Quentin.    LOL

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I'm assuming that the Dodgers will not be interested in Quentin.    LOL

good call IC  ;)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Thanks southpaw777.    :)

I think Quentin should avoid visiting LA for the time being.   LOL

Sections
Shortcuts