It's unofficial Lowrie is the starting SS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

Re: It's unofficial Lowrie is the starting SS

In Response to It's unofficial Lowrie is the starting SS:
    [QUOTE]Lowrie's career minor league splits:   As a leftie:      .835 OPS     18 % Line drive rate      963 AB As a rightie:    .802 OPS          13% LDR               421 AB   2008-2010 OPS vs LHP : Bay        .884 Teix       .917 Lowrie   .944 Cabrera  .966 Youk     1.067 Lowrie plays himself into lineup 01:00 AM EDT on Thursday, April 14, 2011 By Brian MacPherson Journal Sports Writer BOSTON — When he met with reporters Wednesday afternoon, Terry Francona wouldn’t admit to having decided on a starting shortstop for Friday. He would admit only to having decided on a starting shortstop for Wednesday — a game that was postponed — and he admitted to that only because the lineup card had been posted in the clubhouse. But the lineup card for Wednesday did list the name of Jed Lowrie for the second day running, this time at shortstop in place of Marco Scutaro. If Francona was going to start Lowrie — who hits better from the right side of the plate — against Tampa Bay righty James Shields, it’s hard to believe Lowrie isn’t going to start seeing more at-bats going forward. “Jed’s hitting about .480,” Francona said, his voice matter-of-fact. “We don’t have a lot of guys hitting .480.” Actually, after doubling twice against Tampa Bay’s David Price on Tuesday night, Lowrie is hitting .438 with an on-base percentage of .500. But the point still holds. In a lineup that has shown no sign of breaking out of its April malaise, Lowrie has been one of the few bright spots. Lowrie and Dustin Pedroia are the only hitters in the lineup hitting better than .296. Lowrie, Pedroia and Kevin Youkilis have the only on-base percentages better than .400. Lowrie had more extra-base hits on Tuesday than Carl Crawford, J.D. Drew , Jacoby Ellsbury , Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Marco Scutaro have all season. “The results are there,” Lowrie said. “That’s always nice. But I’m really, really happy with the way that I’m working right now and my approach. I’ve always believed that if I keep that approach, the results will be there. They’re there right now.” Francona said in no uncertain terms during spring training that Scutaro would be his shortstop. Nothing Lowrie could have done during spring training would have changed his mind. On a team inundated with injuries last year, Scutaro played through various shoulder and elbow maladies all the way until the end of the season. A dip in his numbers — his on-base percentage tumbled by 46 points from the previous season — wasn’t just forgiven. It was expected. “If I was a player and went through what Scutaro did and then had to come to camp and base my playing time on 40 at-bats, I wouldn’t want to play for a guy like me,” Francona said early in spring training. “I don’t think that makes a lot of sense.” Neither Lowrie nor Scutaro has 40 at-bats thus far during the regular season. But the Lowrie-Scutaro debate goes far deeper than 40 at-bats — be they in March or in April or in September. Scutaro plied his trade as a utility infielder for the first six years of his career, only once playing more than 120 games before his 32nd birthday. He hit a respectable .261 with a .325 on-base percentage in close to 2,500 plate appearances in that span. He proved himself to be a perfectly capable major-league shortstop — and then he broke out in 2009, posting a .379 on-base percentage and slugging .400 for the first time in his career. When his numbers took a step back in his first season with the Red Sox, it looked far more like a veteran regressing to his typical career numbers than a trend that could be expected to continue. Lowrie, on the other hand, was drafted in the first round after having hit .317 with a .416 on-base percentage and .594 slugging percentage in his final season at Stanford. He then got on base at a .429 clip in more than 200 plate appearances at Single-A Lowell in his professional debut in 2005, a .352 clip at Single-A Wilmington in 2006, and a .393 clip the following year in more than 400 plate appearances at Double-A Portland in 2007. He then hit .300 with a .356 on-base percentage and .506 slugging percentage when he was promoted to Triple-A Pawtucket for the first time. In other words, until he hurt his wrist, Lowrie hit at every level at which he’s played. His numbers at the plate have looked far more like those of Dustin Pedroia than anyone would expect. And after he recovered from mononucleosis in spring of last year, Lowrie posted a .381 on-base percentage and .526 slugging percentage in August and September. If he’d kept up the same pace for 600 plate appearances, he’d have hit 27 home runs and 42 doubles. Facing Price on Tuesday night after having come to the plate just six times since Wednesday of last week wasn’t exactly the easiest task. “This is the major leagues,” he said. “You’re going to face good pitchers every night, whether it’s a guy throwing 97 (mph) or a guy throwing four quality pitches off-speed. Guys here know how to get people out. Whether you’re facing a David Price or someone else, you’re going to face a major-leaguer every night.” But the two doubles he hit off Price were impressive. “When he’s swinging like this, you probably look for ways to get him in there,” Francona conceded late Tuesday night. Less than 24 hours later, Lowrie was right back in the Red Sox lineup. He might well be in the lineup against Toronto lefty Brett Cecil on Friday. He won’t hit .480 — or even .380 — all season long. But he’s making a compelling argument to be in the lineup every day nonetheless. edit Friday: Brett Cecil (lefty) Saturday: Jo-Jo Reyes (lefty) Sunday: Jesse Litsch (traditional righty) Monday: Ricky Romero (lefty) Tuesday: Off Wednesday: Brett Anderson (lefty) Thursday: Gio Gonzalez (lefty)
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up Tom.  I will put a special thanks to you in my article for Fire Brand that will post tomorrow morning.  How've you been by the way.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

man we know were in a deep pile of it when we start looking at Jed as our savior

Well said.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Scutaro hits lefties about the same as righties.

The differental vs LHPs is much smaller between Scutty and Jed than the differential between Lowrie and Papi vs LHP.

Lowrie should play 3B vs most LHPs and youk DH. This saves Youk's health and energy for when it's needed over a long season, and it gives Lowrie a chance to prove his offense by giving him more PAs. He should get about35-40 games at 3B vs LHPs, then "rest" Scutty at SS for about 65-75 games (10 vs LHPs and about 60 vs RHPs). Add about 5 at 2B and he can get about 110+ games in with no major IF injuries.

If he keeps hitting, then of course, he gets more time at SS.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Thanks 791
    I am doing well.  My two year old has slept through two straight nights for the first time ever.  The Sox could go 0 -162 and I'd be happy if she would just sleep. Smile

I have read Lowrie's SLG splits were about equal in college, but I couldn't find the actual numbers.

I am on record that the Sox are probably a low 90's winning team this year. I am not convinced of anybody beyond Lester.  Making the PO could very well come down to one more win.   I would be flexible about the line up and go with the hot hand at SS.  As written many times Lowrie (pre-wrist) was better than or equal in college and the minors as a LHH.  If Lowrie puts up an .835 as a LHH like he did in the minors he will help the team more than Scutaro, and his trade value will undoubtedly be raised. 

If he plays 150 games, with big numbers he gives Theo options.  He will have wiped away his injury woes, in a way he can't as 30% RHH only UIF.  As a full timer he provides multiple trade options as a 2nd, 3rd, SS, or part time DH.  If he is not traded Lowrie could be in the 3rd / DH / SS rotation, as Iglesias is broken in. He provides a flexibility like a few TB players provide, in 2012 he could be cover even at 1st in case of injury.  Is it a luxury to keep him if the incumbents are all back and healthy in 2012? Yes.   

10/5/2010 8:53 AM EDT
     .393 wOBA in 200 PA.  He put up the 15th highest wOBA in MLB 2010 > 190PA.  The point is he is capable of going on a tear that very few SS can.  Offense is down ~4.8% and SS offense is way down especially in AL.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Lowrie appears to have more pop in his bat. I'd find a way to get him in the lineup also if my team were 2-9. Lowrie needs to play. If that means Scutaro sits out a lot of games so be it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Tom, sometimes a kid with a lot of energy is an tremendous gift long term. She might be something special when she grows up, if you survive it! I recommend maximum interaction and fun based learning. She might transcend everything you could imagine if you give her that right now and for the next 2-3 years. You might also try a different mattress!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

If you have access to the Mariners' games, Tom; that works like a charm!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBRAzmaq5x0

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Tom, what happened? Lowrie's not starting today against the lefty? Do starting SS sit on the bench to start with?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

Most fans may call Lowrie vs. Scutaro as a wash and say give it time to play out. It is not clear that one is vastly superior to the other. Softlaw / GM knows that too but the bigger picture to him is his fragile ego at what he does with 90% of his waking hours which is to come to this forum and overstate his importance here. He doesn't enjoy the game as much as he enjoys coming here and pretending to be the only one who is intelligent. He is especially upset today since he was proven wrong on a thread that he spent months on this winter ( Gonzalez Extension). Everyone who avoided that thread was the winner there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

Not tonight

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Scutaro with another big RBI hit, tonight. AGon's contract was never a done deal, which is why it took over two weeks and shoulder hedging before it was ever agreed to. The incentives have not yet been disclosed, as they were not agreed to until Boggs finished the negotiations over the last week.

I am not "Softy", and Chris has issues.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You are softy.

Let's see...

AGon traded this winter: just like I predicted (proven before you).
    AGon was not traded for Jake and Jed (bummer for you).
    AGon was traded for almost exactly what I called.
    AGon agreed to terms on his deal long ago (only the signature awaited).
    I called the deal be signed in the first 2 weeks (you bashed the idea).
    I called the amount by near exactly what he signed for (you fudged your numbers by adding in this year's salary to get it closer to your "not-a-clue" projections last fall/winter).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleRhodyJack. Show LittleRhodyJack's posts

Time to let Marco go,save salvage some money and bring up Iggy for defensive purposes.no doubt,Jed has to play start. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In Response to Re: It's unofficial Lowrie is the starting SS:
    [QUOTE]Time to let Marco go,save salvage some money and bring up Iggy for defensive purposes.no doubt,Jed has to play start. 
    Posted by LittleRhodyJack[/QUOTE]

I like the idea of Iglesias getting 4 ABs / game until Sep and then unleash Hell. 

If you had a flyball pitcher going I might sit Iglesias and play Lowrie for obvious reasons.

Tonight's homer was an upper body only flick of a change up, that was the epitomy of "pop"

A.L. All-star SS prediction Jan 2011. Looking better and better.

I have saved all the naysayers' posts questioning Jed. I am close to naming them, but I will wait to shame them Cool.

I like Scutaro and I think he will see plenty of playing time, but his arm strength was lacking Friday, I worry about his infraspinatus recovery.

Jed legging out that 9th inning grounder showed passable MLB speed, to say otherwise is folly.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

tom, what are your thoughts on using Jed at 3B vs almost all LHPs and Youk at DH (yes, it limits our bench flex, but give Kevin valuable rest). That could be about 35-40 games. Givehim 5 games at 2B. Then give him 80-90 at SS (mostly vs RHPs) and he's at  about 120 games. That's with no major injuries to the IF or DH.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I think we need to find a way to get Jed into the lineup every day if possible. He has raked every day he's been in the starting 9. Rest an infielder once a week and a couple of outfielders too, but play Jed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Lowrie flied out in his own AB v. a RHP. He was easily thrown out at 2nd on a foolish steal attemp, in a close game with the sluggers due up. He's slow, and has a career average v. RHP that is weak. Don't hold your breath on "All-Star SS";)

Save that post.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I coulda sworn that dinger Jed hit today was from the right-side.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

I  could a sworn that fly-out Jed hit today was from the left side.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

[QUOTE]tom, what are your thoughts on using Jed at 3B vs almost all LHPs and Youk at DH (yes, it limits our bench flex, but give Kevin valuable rest). That could be about 35-40 games. Givehim 5 games at 2B. Then give him 80-90 at SS (mostly vs RHPs) and he's at  about 120 games. That's with no major injuries to the IF or DH.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I'm not Tom, but I thinks it's a great idea.   Of course, as you know, I've been a Lowrie fan for quite a while.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

[QUOTE]Lowrie flied out in his own AB v. a RHP. He was easily thrown out at 2nd on a foolish steal attemp, in a close game with the sluggers due up. He's slow, and has a career average v. RHP that is weak. Don't hold your breath on "All-Star SS";) Save that post.
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]

Get a grip, my friend.....enough Lowrie hating is enough.

If you want to turn on your hating machine, why not aim it as Matsuzaka.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]I  could a sworn that fly-out Jed hit today was from the left side.
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]

I believe the game's best hitters hit more flyouts than home-runs.
    What was your reaction when Jed hit that dinger?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

My reaction was it was an "excuse me" green monster short porch homer, and it was against a LHP. How about yours?

What is Jed's career BA v. RHP?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Softlaw / GM knows that too but the bigger picture to him is his fragile ego at what he does with 90% of his waking hours which is to come to this forum and overstate his importance here. He doesn't enjoy the game as much as he enjoys coming here and pretending to be the only one who is intelligent. He is especially upset today since he was proven wrong on a thread that he spent months on this winter ( Gonzalez Extension). Everyone who avoided that thread was the winner."

LMFAO, one of the funniest things I have seen on this forum. 

Gotta love "The BasementGM"

Sections
Shortcuts