It's very sad that so many are giving up on Adrian Gonzalez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

It's very sad that so many are giving up on Adrian Gonzalez

I'm sick of it.

If you've been posting here for any length of time , you will know what I am talking about.

The word was that Theo was "actively" trying to acquire Saltalamacchia and Gonzalez. These guys were on his radar for so long. We had regular posters with their "get Salty" posts.

These were two dream players that all of the Fenway faithful could agree would NOT fail!

Okay, Theo did his part, he brought these coveted players to Boston...many of you rejoiced. Some over reacted and had Gonzalez as an MVP before his first Red Sox at bat.

it's sad though, these two are not quite the "instant" sensations that many of you expected. I see two guys who got thrust into a new market, a tough market where what you did yesterday is only good for about 12 hours. They cannot be in a slump, they cannot struggle or they are classified as failures.

Salty is maybe never going to be Jason Varitek or Carlton Fisk. He may even be replaced by Lavarnway before long....does this mean he's "trash?" There aren't that many "great" catchers in the game....how about giving him a chance? I am not talking about a season or half-season. Give the guy a chance.

Gonzalez is the real deal. He is a talented 1st baseman, he can flat out hit. I am thinking he will never hit well enough to satisify this bandwagon fanbase. He is not Ted Williams or Yastrzemski. He is going to be fine, he has been around too long to be a fluke.

Can we let these guys have a slump or two without calling for their release or a trade?

How about sticking with your guys for a change? These two are worth sticking with, these guys are winners, not whiners.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: It's very sad that so many are giving up on Adrian Gonzalez

It's frustration, that's all.  AGon is still a very good defensive firstbaseman.  He made what looked like a bad play I think Saturday but could have been yesterday when, with a man on second and no outs, he tried to nail the guy going to 3B on a grounder to AGOn, which he fielded cleanly and threw quickely to 3B, but didn't get him.  Worth a gamble, I think, because a man on third with one out is a good bet to score.  He is always thinking and not afraid to throw the ball. 

No way his hitting will not come around.  This is of course the worst possible time for him to go south, but it happens.  I really liked Youk at 1B, but AGon is clearly better.  One side benefit of acquiring him is his example showed Ortiz the value of hitting to all fields. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Gonzalez is a proven quality player............Saltalamacchia is not. Salty may hit better but his defense will never improve, it will only decline.

Agon is an MVP caliber player, who is best suited in the three hole. If the RS put him back where he belongs in the line-up, he will come around.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

harv53, I like AGon too, but look at Peter Abraham's numbers on AGon.  This slide has been going on since last year's All-Star game.  I think he will come around too, but slotting at #5 makes sense to me, which is what Bobby V is doing tonight against a lefty. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to It's very sad that so many are giving up on Adrian Gonzalez:
    I'm sick of it. If you've been posting here for any length of time , you will know what I am talking about. The word was that Theo was "actively" trying to acquire Saltalamacchia and Gonzalez. These guys were on his radar for so long. We had regular posters with their "get Salty" posts. These were two dream players that all of the Fenway faithful could agree would NOT fail! Okay, Theo did his part, he brought these coveted players to Boston...many of you rejoiced. Some over reacted and had Gonzalez as an MVP before his first Red Sox at bat. it's sad though, these two are not quite the "instant" sensations that many of you expected. I see two guys who got thrust into a new market, a tough market where what you did yesterday is only good for about 12 hours. They cannot be in a slump, they cannot struggle or they are classified as failures. Salty is maybe never going to be Jason Varitek or Carlton Fisk. He may even be replaced by Lavarnway before long....does this mean he's "trash?" There aren't that many "great" catchers in the game....how about giving him a chance? I am not talking about a season or half-season. Give the guy a chance. Gonzalez is the real deal. He is a talented 1st baseman, he can flat out hit. I am thinking he will never hit well enough to satisify this bandwagon fanbase. He is not Ted Williams or Yastrzemski. He is going to be fine, he has been around too long to be a fluke. Can we let these guys have a slump or two without calling for their release or a trade? How about sticking with your guys for a change? These two are worth sticking with, these guys are winners, not whiners.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Good post Zill. Voice of reason, among the madness. Some of the posts the past 24 hours, are beyond belief.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

The problem is that many Posters are like Politicians these days....no sensible Middle Ground......a player is either Great, an MVP and headed to the HOF eventually or he is an overpaid Bum who should be traded immediately. Posters , as fans have every right to be critical of Agon's performance so far this year, but to forget the talent that he has and the amount of production he has had since we got him is short sighted at best. His AB in the 17th yesterday pains me to no end, but I would bet come year end, he is over .300 with 25+ homeruns and 110+ RBI's.....production only a couple of handful of players will give their team this year. Give him time and your support and we will be rewarded.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I'm sick of it. If you've been posting here for any length of time , you will know what I am talking about. The word was that Theo was "actively" trying to acquire Saltalamacchia and Gonzalez. These guys were on his radar for so long. We had regular posters with their "get Salty" posts. These were two dream players that all of the Fenway faithful could agree would NOT fail! Okay, Theo did his part, he brought these coveted players to Boston...many of you rejoiced. Some over reacted and had Gonzalez as an MVP before his first Red Sox at bat. it's sad though, these two are not quite the "instant" sensations that many of you expected. I see two guys who got thrust into a new market, a tough market where what you did yesterday is only good for about 12 hours. They cannot be in a slump, they cannot struggle or they are classified as failures. Salty is maybe never going to be Jason Varitek or Carlton Fisk. He may even be replaced by Lavarnway before long....does this mean he's "trash?" There aren't that many "great" catchers in the game....how about giving him a chance? I am not talking about a season or half-season. Give the guy a chance. Gonzalez is the real deal. He is a talented 1st baseman, he can flat out hit. I am thinking he will never hit well enough to satisify this bandwagon fanbase. He is not Ted Williams or Yastrzemski. He is going to be fine, he has been around too long to be a fluke. Can we let these guys have a slump or two without calling for their release or a trade? How about sticking with your guys for a change? These two are worth sticking with, these guys are winners, not whiners.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

I agree 100 percent.

What kills me is when posters rip Theo for getting fixated on a player. Umm. ... isn't that what GMs do. They look for players they think can help the team and when they find them, they try to get them.

What was Theo supposed to do. ID A-Gon as a player he thinks could help the Sox then not try to get him. Hmmm ... makes sense to me.

I think A-Gon's pressing. Yesterday in that last at-bat, is it hard to believe that he so-wanted to come through that instead of being patient and look for his pitch, he goes up and swings wildly at three bad pitches.

That's exactly what I was talking about on another thread. Trying too hard at the plate can lead to bat habits at the plate. THat's how slumps develop.

I still think A-Gon will be a 30-100 player.

As for Salty, his defense is a bit of a concern. I don't like the way he's gone after low pitchers. Instead of moving his body to block the pitch, he lazily just reaches for it with his arm like Rich Gedman did on Bob Stanley's WP in Game 6.

But your point is well taken. Why can't fan stand by their players or team in tough times. Some posters rip the character of the Red Sox, but what about their own? What's the character of fans who want to dump players at the first sign of a slump or don't stick by them in tough times?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Gonzalez is a proven quality player............Saltalamacchia is not. Salty may hit better but his defense will never improve, it will only decline.

I agree that Saltalamacchia can't be placed in the same category as Gonzalez...but I find it interesting that those calling for Salty's head want him replaced by Lavarnway, who 1) isn't hitting any better at Pawtucket, and 2) isn't exactly known for his defense.

Salty has 4 HR already and a .485 slugging percentage...while he started and finished poorly last year, he showed enough promise to merit a second chance IMO. No reason to give up on him this early. If Lavarnway is tearing it up in a month or two and Salty is still hitting .230, then maybe we can talk.

I can't add anything to what Zilla said regarding A-Gon. Practically all of RSN was clammoring for this guy 2-3 seasons ago, for good reason. I have no doubt he'll turn it around.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

In Response to Re: It's very sad that so many are giving up on Adrian Gonzalez:
    Gonzalez is a proven quality player............Saltalamacchia is not. Salty may hit better but his defense will never improve, it will only decline. I agree that Saltalamacchia can't be placed in the same category as Gonzalez...but I find it interesting that those calling for Salty's head want him replaced by Lavarnway, who 1) isn't hitting any better at Pawtucket, and 2) isn't exactly known for his defense. Salty has 4 HR already and a .485 slugging percentage...while he started and finished poorly last year, he showed enough promise to merit a second chance IMO. No reason to give up on him this early. If Lavarnway is tearing it up in a month or two and Salty is still hitting .230, then maybe we can talk. I can't add anything to what Zilla said regarding A-Gon. Practically all of RSN was clammoring for this guy 2-3 seasons ago, for good reason. I have no doubt he'll turn it around.
    Posted by Flapjack07

+1 to Flapjack, +1 to Zilla.  The only thing worse than watching the RS right now is reading the garbage the average poster is writing on OTFB.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Posted by ZILLAGOD

He's been in a slump since last year's all star break. Over 100 game sample size with only 12 HR's. Striking out on 3 pitches against Chris Davis. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to It's very sad that so many are giving up on Adrian Gonzalez :  Good post Zill. Voice of reason, among the madness. Some of the posts the past 24 hours, are beyond belief.
    Posted by J-BAY

Really? $170M payroll, and record wise, they are only better than:

Minnesota
    Kansas City
    Chicago Cubs
    San Diego Padres

Once they get done with the Royals, Indians and Mariners, they have a stretch of 15 games against the Rays (5), Phillies (3), Tigers (4) and Orioles (3).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

yes, Really.  170 million dollar payroll of which 64 million is on the DL. Gonzales was batting over .300 until the a week or so ago. slumps are part of a long season. get a grip

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Posted by ZILLAGOD

What the hell are we supposed to do, ya moron?"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I don't think anyone is giving up on AGon. However , he is the guy you look to for production. He is not providing it. The criticism is justified.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

It could be worse.  We could have Albert Pujols.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

getting out of town and playing KC may be just the medicine AGON needs - i really wouldnt be surprised if he rakes tonite

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Well, I guess the bottom line is that when you draw down 20+ mil - you don't deserve a pass when you don't perform, especially when the rest of the team is doing just as badly.  The board as a whole blames AGon, Lackey, CC, Beckett and even Youk...all above 15 mil.  I guess Salty should feel good being in such elite company. 

Ya just can't blow up the whole team and start over folks...let's give them a chance to right the ship...plenty of time to crucify them later.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Gonzalez after signing his contact:

Gonzalez facing the media:

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from angeroo. Show angeroo's posts

back in '75 the SOX had FRED LYNN and JIM RICE. they were known as the  GOLD DUST TWINS.  just to lighten up the anguish on this board, please use a catchy phrase in describing A-GON and CRAWFORD as members of the SOX. i'll start it off: FOOL'S GOLD.
    Posted by mryazz

How can you possibly put Gonzo and Crawford in the same sentence?
    Gonzo has been a stud since aquired.  True, he's slumping right now, but oh well.  Name one player who went through a season without a slump.  And Crawford?  While I still like the guy and am hopeful that he'll come around, I have to admit he's been anything but a stud so far. 

Gonzo gets 6 hits in 2 days, then throws up an o-fer (admittedly ugly), and now he's being thrown under the bus.....Unbelievable!!

He's got his faults (A little too religious for me), but he's not a punk who's out getting dui's every weekend.  He'll be worth his contract....The jury's still out on CC

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

Zillagod, all I have to say is "hear hear!"

I actually wrote to Eric Wilbur today in response to his overly-critical article about Gonzalez...I'm glad someone else shares my view: let him/them play, and give the team a chance to right the ship before forcing it down through the weight of our criticism.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I am not giving up on Adrian Gonzalez. But I am pointing out that his current performance may be a key to our current offensive deficiencies.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChronicNYY13. Show ChronicNYY13's posts

In Response to It's very sad that so many are giving up on Adrian Gonzalez : He's been in a slump since last year's all star break. Over 100 game sample size with only 12 HR's. Striking out on 3 pitches against Chris Davis. 
    Posted by ADG

I am stunned by the AB against Chris Davis.  I have been flat out jealous of what I thought Gonzo was and would become, but now I am not so sure God hasn't told him to tell ESPN and Sox Nation to pound sand while he takes it easy.  Another guy that takes his money and checks out.  I hope I am wrong.

Sections
Shortcuts