I've Had Enough of Darnell McDonald

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

I've Had Enough of Darnell McDonald

Why is this guy on the team? He floundered in the minors for 10 years, and he's good enough to make the Red Sox? Get rid of him. Useless.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: I've Had Enough of Darnell McDonald

It's a testamet to how bad the Sox minor league system is right now

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Going into St I hoped J.C Linares or perhaps Alex Hassan might win the 5th outfielder / rh bat job from Darnell. But of course McDonald outhit everyone not named Pedro C. or Cody R........in SPRING games.

Do we need to raid the Tampa Rays' scouting department to fill our minor system ?
    No apparent 3b, rh outfielder, shortstop, starting pitcher, closer, etc. etc. seem to be emerging. What is AAA for again ?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

he isnt the problem, getting nothing from Youk, Ellsbury, Ross & Salty is a bigger issue.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

InEsptein would boast about player development and avoiding FA as a quick fix. Now that Slackey and Crawford and Jenks are simply USA entitlement slugs who stuff the ballot box for more entitlments, 50 million a year for near zero is manifest idiocy and hypocrisy from InEpstein. The farm was developed in the singular mode of lefty slap hitters (yes, despite one career year in front of Pedroia and the addition of AGon, the soon to be departing "avoid the wall and play the big hop and paper arm" Ellsbury is still a slap hitter lefty in the Crawford mold. And don't forget 2010 Ellsbury when boasting about 2011 Ellsbury, a 2 year total that is not impressive at all.

A trade will end up being made, long after it was desperately needed. The farm is decent but lacks balance. InEsptein is one of the worst GM's in Red Sox history.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

MC DONALD IS JUST AN OUTWARD SYMPTOM OF HOW THE
    CHERINGTON REGIME WILL FUNCTION.. GO CHEAP AND HOPE
    FOR THE BEST. DOES ANYONE WHO KNOWS BASEBALL REALLY
    THINK THAT THE WINTER SIGNINGS IMPROVED THE TEAM.
    SALTY AS A HOLDOVER IS A DISASTER. THE MAN CANNOT HIT,
    PERIOD. SHOPPACH WAS A DISCARD FROM TAMPA....WHAT DOES
    THAT SAY ?? AVILES STINKS, PUNTO STINKS, ROSS IS A DISCARD.
    ONLY SWEENEY SHOWS SOME LIFE. THIS WHOLE TEAM IS A
    RAGTAG MOTLEY BUNCH OF STIFFS AND ONLY PEDROIA AND
    PAPI SHOW SOME LIFE...ALSO ELLSBURY, ON OCCASION, ALTHOUGH
    HE SWINGS AT ANY AND EVERY PITCH... IN A HURRY TO GET BACK
    TO THE BENCH. WE HAVE NO OFFENSE. LESTER CANNOT WIN ON
    A THREE HITTER. THAT IS DISGRACEFUL FOR A TEAM THAT HE
    MEDIA HAS TOUTED AS A PLAYOFF CONTENDER. WHATTA JOKE !!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Lavarnway doesn't need more 'seasoning'.

He's a great right handed power hitter and his catching is really NOT that bad.

A good hitter is being wasted in AAA.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbeach48. Show dbeach48's posts

its not only darnell..{whom should be in the minors}

this team depression is huge and deep
    and it sure looks like most dont care

fat bloated contracts and some on constant sick call

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: I've Had Enough of Darnell McDonald:
    [QUOTE]Lavarnway doesn't need more 'seasoning'. He's a great right handed power hitter and his catching is really NOT that bad. A good hitter is being wasted in AAA.
    Posted by ampoule[/QUOTE]

Lavarnway's hitting .125 right now, so we haven't missed out on anything yet.  He will be with the team before the end of the year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

If you're not going to use McDonald to pinch-hit for Sweeney yesterday in the 8th inning (2 on, 2 out, down 7-1) then there's no reason for him to be on the team.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]If you're not going to use McDonald to pinch-hit for Sweeney yesterday in the 8th inning (2 on, 2 out, down 7-1) then there's no reason for him to be on the team.  
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Exactly. He provides no value to the team. Launch him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]he isnt the problem, getting nothing from Youk, Ellsbury, Ross & Salty is a bigger issue.
    Posted by fourrings[/QUOTE]
    Exactly.

And McDonald hit .295 with an .871 OPS from July onward last year; his OPS against LHP for the year was over .800 (no small thing in our lefty-heavy outfield). He's hardly a useless piece. Throwing people under the bus based on a handful of at-bats in the first week of the season is lame.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Darnell McDonald is not the problem.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to "Re: I've Had Enough of Darnell McDonald": [QUOTE]Going into St I hoped J.C Linares or perhaps Alex Hassan might win the 5th outfielder / rh bat job from Darnell. But of course McDonald outhit everyone not named Pedro C. or Cody R........in SPRING games. Do we need to raid the Tampa Rays' scouting department to fill our minor system ? No apparent 3b, rh outfielder, shortstop, starting pitcher, closer, etc. etc. seem to be emerging. What is AAA for again ? Posted by jimedfred[/QUOTE] No apparent 3b? Middlebrooks isn't good enough? SS really Ingelias?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Right - it's all because of Darnell.  It's all because of the lowest paid position player on the team.  If only the lowest paid player on the team was better then the team would be undefeated.  $180 million payroll, and the guy making $500K is the problem.  Yeesh.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]Right - it's all because of Darnell.  It's all because of the lowest paid position player on the team.  If only the lowest paid player on the team was better then the team would be undefeated.  $180 million payroll, and the guy making $500K is the problem.  Yeesh.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

Who is only here until Crawford and or Kalish come back.  

I have been avoiding this board for the past few days because i knew this would be the scene around here but "lets get rid of Darnell" posts are ridiculous.  Who do you want as the 6th outfielder in the system instead?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

DFA DMac and Justin Thomas ASAP.

Bring up Iggy and install him as the SS. Use Aviles as the Super Sub and bring up Ciriaco until  CC is ready. If Albers  falters he can be DFA'd when Miller, Hill or Cook is brought up.

These are logical moves and not desperation moves.

I would also consider Aviles or Punto to alternate with Youk.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: I've Had Enough of Darnell McDonald": No apparent 3b? Middlebrooks isn't good enough? SS really Ingelias?
    Posted by BosoxJoe5[/QUOTE]
    No, Mddlebrooks ISN'T " good enough ". Obviously, or he'd be in Boston now, not Pawtucket learning to differentiate strikes from balls. Look at hs walk / strikeout / at bat numbers, then tell me 1) why an ML pitcher would throw him a strike and 2) that you honestly think he's ready to step in at 3rd.

Pretty much same for Iglesias, although he at least has stellar defensive abilities.
    I have higher hopes for Bogaerts, Cecchini, and Brentz than anybody currently at AAA, and those guys are all at least two years away from Bigs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You guys should lsiten to yourselves. Last year, softy & Co. were blaming our 6th starter and back-up catcher for the collapse; now, it's all our 5th OF'er's fault?

DMac should never play RF, unless it's an emergency, but the guy does help plug a big hole in this team's contruction: our weakness vs LHPs. 

Sox OF'ers with 100+ PAs vs LHPs since 2010:

BA
    1) DMac  .281  (260 PAs)
    2) Ells      .276  (217 PAs)
    3) Cam    .229  (105)
    4) BHall   .199  (146)
    5) Drew   .198  (197)
    6) Craw   .195  (178)
    HR
    1) DMac    9
    2) BHall    7
    3) Ells       6
    4) Cam     6
    5) Drew    5
    OBP
    1) DMac   .347
    2) Ells      .336
    3) Cam    .305
    4) Drew   .292
    5) BHall  .276
    6) Craw   .249
    Slug%
    1) DMac   .465
    2) Ells      .465
    3) Cam    .457
    4) BHall   .404
    5) Craw   .317
    6) Drew   .305 
    OPS
    1) DMac   .813
    2) Ells      .802
    3) Cam    .762
    4) BHall   .680
    5) Drew   .597
    6) Craw   .566

I'm not saying DMac's numbers are great vs LHPs, but don't you think we should think twice about dumping our best OF'er vs LHPs until we have a better choice?

Ryan Sweeney stinks vs LHPs (.535 OPS vs LHPs since 2010).
    When CC comes back, we don't get any better vs lefties either.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Moon I agree with you. In original post I specifically mentioned two r/h hitting outfielders , both with supposedly better defensive abilities than Darnell. After original scouting reports from Cuba I cannot fathom what happened to Linares, and neither he nor Hassan have demonstrated sufficient hitting competence.

Re McDonald in right, Ross in left....NO IDEA , but perhaps Bobby willing to sacrifice rf defense to allow Ross to develop consistency by staying in left ?
    I don't personally like it, and certainly not in Fenway. Platoon Sweeney and D-Mac, and play Ross f/t until Craw is back, BUT play Sweeney in rf and D-Mac in LEFT only.
    Which is why I'd prefer a Linares or Hassan IF they could equal McDonald's offensive production.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Darnell is just a bit player on this team. Not really much of a factor in the success or failure of the club.  If someone at Pawtucket merits the job , DMac will be gone. The problems with the Sox go beyond a back up outfielder.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon I agree with you. In original post I specifically mentioned two r/h hitting outfielders , both with supposedly better defensive abilities than Darnell. After original scouting reports from Cuba I cannot fathom what happened to Linares, and neither he nor Hassan have demonstrated sufficient hitting competence.

I have wanted a solid right-handed bat for a long time. I was one of the few that wanted Holliday (and looking abck, getting him would almost certainly precluded getting CC). 

I advocated for Ross only because of our budget issues and his career .900+ OPS vs LHPs. I know there are much better OF'ers than DMac, but I don't see us getting one anytime soon.

Re McDonald in right, Ross in left....NO IDEA , but perhaps Bobby willing to sacrifice rf defense to allow Ross to develop consistency by staying in left ?

Could be, but he's actually spent less time in LF than CF and RF so far in his ML career:
    CF: 2984 innings
    RF: 1749
    LF: 960

Minor leagues:
    CF: 565 gms
    RF: 270 gms
    LF: 227 gms

I had heard he was a decent fielder. I haven't seen him enough to have a strong opinion, but I do know that DMac is horrible in RF, especially in Fenway.

Once CC comes back, we all know he will not be platooned (even though he should), so Ross will be our RF'er vs LHPs and maybe even a few RHPs. I don't see why he shouldn't be getting ready for that now, unless Sox management knows more about CC's return date than we do.

I don't personally like it, and certainly not in Fenway. Platoon Sweeney and D-Mac, and play Ross f/t until Craw is back, BUT play Sweeney in rf and D-Mac in LEFT only.

I agree 100%.

Which is why I'd prefer a Linares or Hassan IF they could equal McDonald's offensive production.
    Not sure they can. I think Hassan has potential. I'm not sure what's up with Linares. There was a time I thought he showed hope.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

were blaming our 6th starter

There is no such thing as a "6th starter". Tim Wastefield, for a large part of 2011, was the #5 starter. According to you, he was one of the "best #4 or #5 starters in MLB". Needless to say, Wastefield wanted to play MLB in 2012. You wanted to offer him a million dollars. WAstefield was so pitiful not one single team wanted anything to do with him on a MLB roster.

The problem last year was a vastly overrated offense with a giant hole in it, terrible OF, IF and catcher defense, and 3 prima donna giant contract starters.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I've Had Enough of Darnell McDonald : No, Mddlebrooks ISN'T " good enough ". Obviously, or he'd be in Boston now, not Pawtucket learning to differentiate strikes from balls. Look at hs walk / strikeout / at bat numbers, then tell me 1) why an ML pitcher would throw him a strike and 2) that you honestly think he's ready to step in at 3rd. Pretty much same for Iglesias, although he at least has stellar defensive abilities. I have higher hopes for Bogaerts, Cecchini, and Brentz than anybody currently at AAA, and those guys are all at least two years away from Bigs.
    Posted by jimedfred[/QUOTE]
    You mean the number prospect in the Sox system does not excite you? In the minors and fall ball he hit 27 homers. He needs some more polish but the rule reason he did not compete for a job was solely of who the incumbent is.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We have a lot of good prospects spread out from AAA to A.

Sections
Shortcuts