I've Had Enough of Darnell McDonald

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Re: I've Had Enough of Darnell McDonald

It's always good to call up young guys who have an actual chance to improve over the course of the season, than it is to go with mediocre vets who will never improve.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

In Response to Re: I've Had Enough of Darnell McDonald:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I've Had Enough of Darnell McDonald : You mean the number prospect in the Sox system does not excite you? In the minors and fall ball he hit 27 homers. He needs some more polish but the rule reason he did not compete for a job was solely of who the incumbent is.
    Posted by BosoxJoe5[/QUOTE]
    Not quite. IF Middlebrooks had exhibited similar power numbers as well as at least a 2 to 5 walk to strieout rate I'd be encouraged.At least he is off to a decent start when swinging the bat in Pawtucket this year, but has much to prove before being deemed worthy of callup consideration.
    To my eyes none of our  prospects save Lavarnway and possibly Anderson look ready to step in this year.....the reason for my despair shown in original post.
    Two and three years out looks promising, but I wish to win NOW.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I've Had Enough of Darnell McDonald : Not quite. IF Middlebrooks had exhibited similar power numbers as well as at least a 2 to 5 walk to strieout rate I'd be encouraged.At least he is off to a decent start when swinging the bat in Pawtucket this year, but has much to prove before being deemed worthy of callup consideration. To my eyes none of our  prospects save Lavarnway and possibly Anderson look ready to step in this year.....the reason for my despair shown in original post. Two and three years out looks promising, but I wish to win NOW.
    Posted by jimedfred[/QUOTE]
    With 21 BB and 95 K he still had a 345 OBP in Portland. If you think that Anderson will be a better MLer that is a bit silly.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I have a sneaky suspicion that Bogaerts or Cecchini will end up doing better than Middlebrooks at 3B by 2014.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Lots of talent in the minors, the only problem is where we need it most our depth seems to be at Portland and Salem......I'm a little concerned about Ross playing center everyday, too bad Kalish has become plagued with injuries because this really could have been his time to shine.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Lavarnway doesn't need more 'seasoning'. He's a great right handed power hitter and his catching is really NOT that bad. A good hitter is being wasted in AAA.
    Posted by ampoule[/QUOTE]

I'd rather he waste in AAA and play daily than sit on the Sox bench and play sparingly.

He'll be up sooner or later this season...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Going into St I hoped J.C Linares or perhaps Alex Hassan might win the 5th outfielder / rh bat job from Darnell. But of course McDonald outhit everyone not named Pedro C. or Cody R........in SPRING games. Do we need to raid the Tampa Rays' scouting department to fill our minor system ? No apparent 3b, rh outfielder, shortstop, starting pitcher, closer, etc. etc. seem to be emerging. What is AAA for again ?
    Posted by jimedfred[/QUOTE]

Exactly how familiar are you with the Sox minor league system?  The team is LOADED at 3B, has several quality SS prospects. 

And closer?  Do you honestly think closers are created at the minor league level?  Historically, that method has a very poor track record and very few teams do it.  The vastly overrated "closer" position has a tendency to come from just about anywhere and should NEVER be of concern at the minor league level. Never.

Oh, and to answer your question - AAA is an extension of the MLB roster, typically where most of the 15 other names on the 40-man are buried, mostly the borderline types when it comes to MLB talent . It is not for player development as much as for player warehousing...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I've Had Enough of Darnell McDonald : Exactly how familiar are you with the Sox minor league system?  The team is LOADED at 3B, has several quality SS prospects.  And closer?  Do you honestly think closers are created at the minor league level?  Historically, that method has a very poor track record and very few teams do it.  The vastly overrated "closer" position has a tendency to come from just about anywhere and should NEVER be of concern at the minor league level. Never. Oh, and to answer your question - AAA is an extension of the MLB roster, typically where most of the 15 other names on the 40-man are buried, mostly the borderline types when it comes to MLB talent . It is not for player development as much as for player warehousing...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Well put, notin. If you count Bogaerts as a 3B and SS option, we are very deep in good prospects at each position:
    (As ranked and grade by Soxprospects.com)

3B) 1 Middlebrooks 8 (5-9)
           3 Bogaerts  8  (3-10)
           11  Coyle  6  (4-9) from 2B
           12 Ceccchini  6  (4-9)
           16 K. Vitek    6  (3-8)
           33 Meneses  4  (3-6)
           57 Renfroe    3  (2-6)
           (#3 Post-prospect: Pedro Ciriaco 26 y/o)

SS) 3  Bogaerts  8  (3-10)
           4  Iglesias  8  (5-9)
           28 Vinicio  4  (3-7) He's only 18 y/o.

Sox Top Pitchers:
    2    Ranaudo 8  (5-9)
    7    Barnes   7  (5-9)
    13  Doubront 6 (5-7)
    13  A Wilson  6 (5-7)
    15  Britton     6 (3-9)
    17  Pimental 6  (3-8)
    20  H Owens 5  (3-8)
    21  Tazawa  5  (4-7)
    24  Workman 5 (3-8)
    35  N Ramirez 4 (3-8)
    39  Younginer 4 (3-8)

There are a lot of prospects her that have the top of their range potential grade as an 8 or 9. We only need a handful of these guys to reach that potential to have an important impact on the big club over the next 2-5 years (and longer).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I've Had Enough of Darnell McDonald : Well put, notin. If you count Bogaerts as a 3B and SS option, we are very deep in good prospects at each position: (As ranked and grade by Soxprospects.com) 3B) 1 Middlebrooks 8 (5-9)        3 Bogaerts  8  (3-10)        11  Coyle  6  (4-9) from 2B        12 Ceccchini  6  (4-9)        16 K. Vitek    6  (3-8)        33 Meneses  4  (3-6)        57 Renfroe    3  (2-6)        (#3 Post-prospect: Pedro Ciriaco 26 y/o) SS) 3  Bogaerts  8  (3-10)        4  Iglesias  8  (5-9)        28 Vinicio  4  (3-7) He's only 18 y/o. Sox Top Pitchers: 2    Ranaudo 8  (5-9) 7    Barnes   7  (5-9) 13  Doubront 6 (5-7) 13  A Wilson  6 (5-7) 15  Britton     6 (3-9) 17  Pimental 6  (3-8) 20  H Owens 5  (3-8) 21  Tazawa  5  (4-7) 24  Workman 5 (3-8) 35  N Ramirez 4 (3-8) 39  Younginer 4 (3-8) There are a lot of prospects her that have the top of their range potential grade as an 8 or 9. We only need a handful of these guys to reach that potential to have an important impact on the big club over the next 2-5 years (and longer).
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I agree, DMac doesn't have the every day motivation or talent to deserve a spot over some of the youngsters.  He reminds me of a "60's throwback" who gets H... before and after the game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I've Had Enough of Darnell McDonald : Exactly how familiar are you with the Sox minor league system?  The team is LOADED at 3B, has several quality SS prospects.  And closer?  Do you honestly think closers are created at the minor league level?  Historically, that method has a very poor track record and very few teams do it.  The vastly overrated "closer" position has a tendency to come from just about anywhere and should NEVER be of concern at the minor league level. Never. Oh, and to answer your question - AAA is an extension of the MLB roster, typically where most of the 15 other names on the 40-man are buried, mostly the borderline types when it comes to MLB talent . It is not for player development as much as for player warehousing...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]
    Actually I'm fairly familiar with it. As stated in another post I'm very optimistic for two to three years out, just frustrated at the paucity of decent AAAA-caliber talent READY FOR THE MAJORS NOW.
    Barnes, Ranaudo, Wilson, Balcolm-Miller and other arms look good for down the road. Brentz, Bogaerts, Cecchini, Bradley, Hazelbaker, Jacobs, Coyle and Swihart  all show promise. But right now Lavarnway and POSSIBLY Lars Anderson are only players looking ready to hit at ML level.Perhaps Gauzo and ( I hope and pray ) J.C. Linares will prove me wrong as am not sold on Pedro Ciracio yet. And closers usually drawn from fireballing unhittable gas-throwers with few walks, an animal as yet unsighted in our system.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxNPats76. Show SoxNPats76's posts

Rays farm system is so good because they stockpiled 10 plus years of #1 picks. Don't be fooled. Sucking for their entire existence before 2008 will do that for a team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Rays farm system is so good because they stockpiled 10 plus years of #1 picks. Don't be fooled. Sucking for their entire existence before 2008 will do that for a team.
    Posted by SoxNPats76[/QUOTE]

That was then: this is now.

David Price was the #1 pick in 2007. He's not in their farm system anymore.
    Neither is #8 round pick Matt Moore (anyone could have drafted him).
    The Rays last #1 overall pick was in 2008. It was Tim Beckham. He's the only top 10 Rays prospect from the "lean era". In fact, nobody from that last draft helped by their poor 2007 season is a top prospect.

The Rays farm system is strong right now for several different reasons. They had the 30th pick in 2009, 17th in 2010, and 32nd in 2011.  Yet, it is still strong in part becuase of the last 3 drafts.

1) The Rays have a good scouting and player development staff.

2) The Rays have traded several players before they become free agents or high-priced players and received many good prospects in return.

3) The Rays have drafted good players in latter rounds during the "lean years":
    2004:
    #45 Brignac
    #75 W Davis
    #135 Jake McGee
    #375 Sonnanstine
    2005:
    #358 Ryan Zimmerman
    2006:
    #109 Alex Cobb
    2007:
    #245 Matt Moore
    #289 Desmond Jennings

4) The Rays became masters of stockpiling top round draft picks by offering arb to marginal players and allowing them to become free agents to get the comp picks. They even traded fro Brad Hawpe just to get a draft pick. This is the main reason their farm system is so deep right now. They had a MLB record 10 1st or supplemental round picks in 2011 and 2 secon round picks. That was a total of 12 picks in the top 60 overall picks! This happened after just having a very good season!

Looking closer at how they managed to stockpile prospects. The players the Rays lost to free agency and gained picks were mostly very easily replaceable with MLB ready prospects, low cost free agent signings, of trades. Here's a breakdown:
    #24 and #41 picks for Crawford (Got rid of him just in time.)
    #31 and #38 picks for Soriano (He was hurt shortly thereafter.)
    #42 and #75 picks for Grant Balfour
    #52 for Brad Hawpe
    #56 for Joaquin Benoit
    #59 for Randy Choate
    #60 for Chad Qualls
    In 2010, the Rays got these "extra picks":
    #31 for failing to sign LeVon Wshington in 2009.
    #42 for Greg Zaun
    #79  for failure to sign Kenny Diekroeger.

In short, the Rays got 12 of the top 89 picks in 2011 and 6 of the top 98 in 2010. That's 18 top 98 picks (6 times the expected number).

Many of these later picks were gained by losing marginal relief pitchers. The Rays were able to rebuild their pen pretty well considering losing all those arms in one winter. They rebuilt it at a very low cost relatively speaking.

Key trades helped them fill ket need areas and build up the farm as well:

11/2007: Delmon Young, Brendan Harris, and Jason Pride for
    Matt Garza, Jason Bartlett and Ed Morlan (minors)

8/2009: Scott Kazmir for
    Sean Rodriguez (now the starting SS), Matt Sweeney, and Alex Torres (a top 10 Rays prospect).

12/2010: Jason Bartlett and Cash for
    Adam Russell, Brandon Gomes, Cesar Ramos, and Cole Figueroa (minors)

1/2011: Matt Garza, Z Rosscup, and F Perez for
    Sam Fuld, Robinson Chirinos (a good catching prospect), Chris Archer (now a top 10 rays prospect), Hak-Ju Lee (now a top 10), Brandon Guyer (a good prospect).

Delmon Young and kazmir have not amounted to much after the trades. Bartlett and garza are both still quality players, but if you look at what they have in retrun for these 4 players, one can easily see why the Rays are a strong major league team with a very good and deep farm system.  

Top Rays Prospects:
    Desmond Jennings (#289th pick)
    Alex Cobb (#109th pick)

1) Matt Moore (8th round pick in '07)
    2) Hak-Ju Lee (Part of trade for Garza)
    3) Enny Romero (Int'l FA signing)
    4) Alex Torres (Part of Kazmir trade)
    5) Mike Mahtook (2011 draft pick for Soriano)
    6) Taylor Guerrieri (2011 draft pick for Crawford)
    7) Drew Vettleson (Supp 2010 pick for Greg Zaun)
    8) Chris Archer (Part of Garza trade)
    9) Tim Beckham (#1- 1st pick in 2008) from the "old era"
    10) Brandon Guyer (Part of Garza trade)
    11) Alex Colome (Int'l FA)
    12) Tyler Goeddel (supp pick in 2011 for Crawford)
    13) Parker Markel (39th round in 2010)
    14) Ryan Brett (3rd round 2010)
    15) Josh Sale (1st round 2010)
    16) Jake Hager (1st round in 2011)
    17) Brandon Martin (supp in 2011 for Soriano)
    18) Lenny Linsky (2nd round 2011)
    19) Oscar Hernandez (Int'l FA)
    20) Derek Dietrich (2nd round 2010 for Diekroeger)
    21) Ryan Carpenter (7th round 2011)
    22) Johnny Eierman (3rd round 2011)
    23) Granden Goetzman (2nd round 2011 for Grant Balfour))
    24) Felipe Rivero (Int'l FA)
    25) Grayson Garvin (Supp pick 2011 for Randy Choate)

"This is not your daddy's Oldsmobile".

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Just a quick a quick note on Linares. He was raking last year before he tore ligaments in his ankle (I think) sliding hard into a base. As of right now he's raking at Portland.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I was high on Linares last year. I think he should at least be in AAA now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I've Had Enough of Darnell McDonald : I agree, DMac doesn't have the every day motivation or talent to deserve a spot over some of the youngsters.  He reminds me of a "60's throwback" who gets H... before and after the game.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

Of course, this view would fly in the face of all the coaches, scouts and FO personnel who rave about the guy's work ethic and professionalism.  But, hey, if he's got braids in his hair, he must be getting high and being lazy right?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

Kevin Thomas of Maine Today:

JUAN CARLOS LINARES should be headed to Pawtucket fairly soon (he might replace Lin, but there was no word as of Saturday afternoon).

Linares, 27, began last season in Pawtucket but broke his leg. With the crowded Pawtucket outfield this year, Linares was sent to Portland. He is batting .410 with three home runs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I've Had Enough of Darnell McDonald : Of course, this view would fly in the face of all the coaches, scouts and FO personnel who rave about the guy's work ethic and professionalism.  But, hey, if he's got braids in his hair, he must be getting high and being lazy right?
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I wasn't basing this on DMacs new look spaceman and I have never heard or read anything about his work ethic either but would welcome the read.  We have all watched DMac play, if hes playing to win a job on the team he plays great.  Once this happens he plays like Beltre did after signing with the Mariners.  Sit him on the bench with a chance he may lose his job and he once again transforms into a "two day" wonder when he finally plays again.

This is based on watching every game the guy has played for the Sox.  Not his "Manny" look.  After DMacs first year I felt he was as good or better than Drew offensively, now I feel there are others who deserve the same opportunity.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I've Had Enough of Darnell McDonald : I agree, DMac doesn't have the every day motivation or talent to deserve a spot over some of the youngsters.  He reminds me of a "60's throwback" who gets H... before and after the game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I've Had Enough of Darnell McDonald :
    Posted by 6k42lt913c[/QUOTE]

You should have told us you were DR Phil, this explains everything :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I've Had Enough of Darnell McDonald : I wasn't basing this on DMacs new look spaceman and I have never heard or read anything about his work ethic either but would welcome the read.  We have all watched DMac play, if hes playing to win a job on the team he plays great.  Once this happens he plays like Beltre did after signing with the Mariners.  Sit him on the bench with a chance he may lose his job and he once again transforms into a "two day" wonder when he finally plays again. This is based on watching every game the guy has played for the Sox.  Not his "Manny" look.  After DMacs first year I felt he was as good or better than Drew offensively, now I feel there are others who deserve the same opportunity.

OK.  Cool.  I think there are some young guys that will be needing a shot this year as well.  He certainly is marginal by major league standards.  But, since you haven't heard, the sox fo and coaching staff talk about how, even with his working mans ability, he has earned his spot through his hard-working approach.

I was responding to your getting high 60s throwback comment.  If you don't know anything about the guy, thats a pretty strong attack.  I apologize if I made false assumptions.  But, it was just so far off the mark.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I've Had Enough of Darnell McDonald : OK.  Cool.  I think there are some young guys that will be needing a shot this year as well.  He certainly is marginal by major league standards.  But, since you haven't heard, the sox fo and coaching staff talk about how, even with his working mans ability, he has earned his spot through his hard-working approach. I was responding to your getting high 60s throwback comment.  If you don't know anything about the guy, thats a pretty strong attack.  I apologize if I made false assumptions.  But, it was just so far off the mark.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Never a problem spaceman as you know.  I have watched DMac a lot but honestly have never heard anyone compliment his work effort.  It's just my observation watching the guy play, like Manny did with loads more talent.  He appears very lazy and unmotivated at times.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

When anyone acts as if they know the personality, work ethic, motivation, or desire of a player after watching TV from his armchair, I respond with my Dr. Phil photo. I did the same with all of the critics of JD Drew. Such critics really don't have a clue to what they are ranting about. They are speculating and guessing but then this is a forum and anything goes.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Never a problem spaceman as you know.  I have watched DMac a lot but honestly have never heard anyone compliment his work effort.  It's just my observation watching the guy play, like Manny did with loads more talent.  He appears very lazy and unmotivated at times.

"like Manny"?

Manny was one of the hardest working players on the team. He spent countless hours in the batting cage and was often the first to show up at the park of the last to leave. He also had a hard-working off season regime.  His lackadaisical attitude made people think he was lazy off the field: he was not.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]When anyone acts as if they know the personality, work ethic, motivation, or desire of a player after watching TV from his armchair, I respond with my Dr. Phil photo. I did the same with all of the critics of JD Drew. Such critics really don't have a clue to what they are ranting about. They are speculating and guessing but then this is a forum and anything goes.
    Posted by 6k42lt913c[/QUOTE]

Read my profile pal, I'm not an arm chair fan.  I either cover, or review every taping and player on our team throughout the year which is why I question DMacs place on this team.  He is well liked and a jokester like Millar was, but as far as one of our hardest working?  I would need to see what source this came from because its simply not true.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Never a problem spaceman as you know.  I have watched DMac a lot but honestly have never heard anyone compliment his work effort.  It's just my observation watching the guy play, like Manny did with loads more talent.  He appears very lazy and unmotivated at times. "like Manny"? Manny was one of the hardest working players on the team. He spent countless hours in the batting cage and was often the first to show up at the park of the last to leave. He also had a hard-working off season regime.  His lackadaisical attitude made people think he was lazy off the field: he was not.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

moon, Manny still dogged it often on the field.  Can someone please show me an article that refers to DMacs hard work?  At least with Manny we all read articles by various teammates on his work ethic before a game.  That didn't excactly carry over into the game as we know.