1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbs2007. Show tbs2007's posts

I've said it before

Doubrant blows, get rid of this bum.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

Re: I've said it before

Alarming that he's lost 5-6mph off his FB

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbs2007. Show tbs2007's posts

How many times do we have to watch this garbage, before he's out of baseball?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

He is doi g mop up work.  He would not be pitching at all if Webster had been even mildly effective. ..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbs2007. Show tbs2007's posts

He's Horrible!What's he given up 7-8 runs in 4 or 5 innings?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

It is really hard to judge him in this outing because of him coming out of the bullpen. It is scary that he lost MPH on his fastball. I wonder if he is hurt.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbs2007. Show tbs2007's posts

Give me a break, you know he blows!

Can you say the great Jeff Suppan?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to tbs2007's comment:

Give me a break, you know he blows!

Can you say the great Jeff Suppan?

You got to be kidding, he was fine before his last start.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to notin's comment:

He is doi g mop up work.  He would not be pitching at all if Webster had been even mildly effective. ..

Fans just dont get that pitchers doing mop up work typically dont pitch that well.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbs2007. Show tbs2007's posts

Be real pal, Doubrant is nothing!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I am not basing anything on this mop-up outing, and I am just taking my best educated guess here, but:  Doubront, we knew from the start, has pretty good but not dominant stuff.  He has no one pitch that is truly an out pitch and his heat is not overpowering.  So, the kid really needed/needs to work hard on control, technique, and developing his repertoire.  This is where the coming-into-camp-out-of-shape thing is dam(n)ing.  No big deal for a guy to come in a few pounds overweight.  This is baseball afterall.  But it suggests that he was not putting in the work that he really needed to put in to get over the hump and be a good major league pitcher.  The hitters all know the book on Felix now and he has done nothing to re-write it.  Guess he is cool with being a journeyman reliever, because that is what his destiny is unless Special Secret Consultant #1 Pedro can get through to him.  Doubt it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

While I agree Doubront has not worked hard on conditioning or control or expanding his repertoire, the current problem seems to be mostly the result of a much slower fastball which exacerbates the other issues.  Peter Abraham points out, however, that the Sox have run out of options on Doubront and can't send him to Pawtucket without putting him on waivers, which he would be unlikely to clear. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

While I agree Doubront has not worked hard on conditioning or control or expanding his repertoire, the current problem seems to be mostly the result of a much slower fastball which exacerbates the other issues.  Peter Abraham points out, however, that the Sox have run out of options on Doubront and can't send him to Pawtucket without putting him on waivers, which he would be unlikely to clear. 

Yes I agree, and here we are again at this weeks BDC Hot Topic:  Velocity Drop.  I would venture to guess that, at his tender age, any velocity drop would be intrinsically tied to lack of conditioning.  Also, since his velocity was never overpowering anyway (or, rather he never had much 'life' on his fastball) the repertoire expansion was absolutely crucial to his development.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I'm not ready to give up on him, but I've never been as high on him as others. When he's on, he's had good stuff, but the results never have been consistent.

His ERA, albeit small sample, was 4.32 when he came up in 2010 -- respectable but nothing to wow you over. He started three times and only one could be considered a good start -- 5.2, 2 ER. The others were mediocre -- 5.0 IP, 3 ER, 4.2 IP, 2 ER.

Last year was mixed. Until his last two starts when he went seven innings each time, he only finished seven innings once in the first 27 starts and pitched into the seventh just five other times. He started strong (3.75 ERA through his first 11 starts) and ended strong (3.08 ERA i his last four starts. But in the middle 14 starts, he had an ERA of 6.47. 

But my biggest problem with him is that in two of the last three years, he showed up out of shape. He seems to have become a 'fatcat' before he accomplished anything. Once -- OK, fine, he had growing up to do. But a second time in three years. At least Beckett waited until he had some great seasons and won a couple of World Series before he became a "fatcat."

Pitchers don't have to look buff to be in shape. It's not how they look, which is why I don't like when someone looks at a pitcher and says they're out of shape. It's a matter of how strong their legs are and their arms.

And that could be  Doubront's problems. If the legs aren't strong, it could be a reason why he's losing his fastball.

I'm more pizzed at him than I ever was at Beckett. Beckett might not have accomplished everything he could have because of his work ethic, but at least he had some great years. Doubront seems to be squandering that talent now because his lack of work ethic.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Webster hasn't been given much of a chance-just two starts. I would much rather have Webster taking his turn in the rotation than Doubront, who has failed miserably.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Its easy to cook up a phantom injury and bury Doubront at Pawtucket until he is "healed". Happens all the time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Its easy to cook up a phantom injury and bury Doubront at Pawtucket until he is "healed". Happens all the time.

You can't quite bury him in Pawtucket if he's on the 40-man roster with no options. You can send him to Fort Myers to "rehab" but if he has not options, there's a limit to how many games he can pitch in the minors before he has to be recalled or shelved again.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

Doubront has run out of chances. My bet he'll be DFA'd.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

They need to just treat Doubrant like Wastefield, and call him an innings eater who can pitch bad from the pen or the rotation.

"Pitching is not our weakness."

"Our 3 to 5 starters are weak".

Same clown said both just days apart from each other.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

You can't quite bury him in Pawtucket if he's on the 40-man roster with no options. You can send him to Fort Myers to "rehab" but if he has not options, there's a limit to how many games he can pitch in the minors before he has to be recalled or shelved again.

I realize that you can't bury him there forever, but certainly you can send him back there after he returns to the ML for a brief stint because "his injury has recurred" or he has a new injury. Its not a permanent solution, but I think we could bury him there for a long time.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

I realize that you can't bury him there forever, but certainly you can send him back there after he returns to the ML for a brief stint because "his injury has recurred" or he has a new injury. Its not a permanent solution, but I think we could bury him there for a long time.

Send him to Arizona. He can get the address from Jacoby.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I don't want to get rid of Doubront, but agree right now his pitching is problematical.  Sox still have four decent starters.  But the bullpen may be hurting with Bailey and Hanrahan on the DL and Breslow unimpressive last night. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NLU75. Show NLU75's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes I agree, and here we are again at this weeks BDC Hot Topic:  Velocity Drop.  I would venture to guess that, at his tender age, any velocity drop would be intrinsically tied to lack of conditioning.  Also, since his velocity was never overpowering anyway (or, rather he never had much 'life' on his fastball) the repertoire expansion was absolutely crucial to his development.

good post Space I agree

Sections
Shortcuts