I've said it before

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: I've said it before

Felix Doubront saved the bullpen by going 5.1 difficult innings on Wednesday evening ... that has value regardless of how many runs Doubront surrendered after entering the game in second inning with the Red Sox trailing 7-5.

Red Sox fans hope the team has little need for a long reliever to pitch in a mop-up role, but Doubront could fit the bill (or return to the form that made the 25-year-old lefthander a 1.9 WAR* player in 29 starts last year).

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=1478&position=P

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to tbs2007's comment:

Be real pal, Doubrant is nothing!

OK. I'll be real.  Doubie showed up out of shape.  His pitching has suffered since.  If we draw any parallels with some of our former or present throwers, those who show up out of shape either lose the whole season to mediocrity as compared to better seasons. 

Scouts consider that Doubie, at the old age of 25, has more stuff than any other Sox hurler.  His upside is very high. 

Was he silly as a 25 year old to think he could come camp and be as good as before?  Especially considering he pitched more last season than any other....  YES.  But what the hell were YOU doing at the age of 25?  Were you even a shade as close to successful as he is?  Even if you were in your post grad work, you'd still be IN SCHOOL...

Ok ... he's screwed up. but he's no bum.  Give the team time to help him grow up and become the pitcher he has the promise to be.

And for Gosh sake, stop whining.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

In response to tbs2007's comment:

Be real pal, Doubrant is nothing!

OK. I'll be real.  Doubie showed up out of shape.  His pitching has suffered since.  If we draw any parallels with some of our former or present throwers, those who show up out of shape either lose the whole season to mediocrity as compared to better seasons. 

Scouts consider that Doubie, at the old age of 25, has more stuff than any other Sox hurler.  His upside is very high. 

Was he silly as a 25 year old to think he could come camp and be as good as before?  Especially considering he pitched more last season than any other....  YES.  But what the hell were YOU doing at the age of 25?  Were you even a shade as close to successful as he is?  Even if you were in your post grad work, you'd still be IN SCHOOL...

Ok ... he's screwed up. but he's no bum.  Give the team time to help him grow up and become the pitcher he has the promise to be.

And for Gosh sake, stop whining.

I'd agree with you more if this was the first time. What concerns me is that this is the second time in three years that he's shown up out of shape. That's what has me upset with him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Yaz, this is what I keep hearing people talk about (though I have actually never seen a quote from a scout saying this, not that someone hasnt, just havent see it).  But, with my own eyes, I just don't buy it.  I would say he has deecent stuff.  But no way does he have the best stuff on the staff.  His fastball, while decent velocity, doesn't have much 'late life'.  And his breaking stuff is solid, but he's not buckling anyones knees with the yacker.  I don't know.  I haven't seen him throw anything i would call nasty.  Not saying he can;t be a half-decent pitcher.  he showed he can be last year.  but i don't see the upside really.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Doobie, like Aceves has million dollar talent and two cent brain....show up to camp in shape...nahhhhh.....????

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Yaz, this is what I keep hearing people talk about (though I have actually never seen a quote from a scout saying this, not that someone hasnt, just havent see it).  But, with my own eyes, I just don't buy it.  I would say he has deecent stuff.  But no way does he have the best stuff on the staff.  His fastball, while decent velocity, doesn't have much 'late life'.  And his breaking stuff is solid, but he's not buckling anyones knees with the yacker.  I don't know.  I haven't seen him throw anything i would call nasty.  Not saying he can;t be a half-decent pitcher.  he showed he can be last year.  but i don't see the upside really.  

Know what?  I am rarely persuaded to take the lesser view.  But since it is you, Space,  you have me thinking ....