Jackie Bradley and Mike Carp are on the Opening Day roster:

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Jackie Bradley and Mike Carp are on the Opening Day roster:

Unofficially, the Red Sox roster on Opening Day will be as follows:

Pitchers (12): Alfredo Aceves, Andrew Bailey, Clay Buchholz, Ryan Dempster, Felix Doubront, Joel Hanrahan, John Lackey, Jon Lester, Andrew Miller, Clayton Mortensen, Junichi Tazawa, Koji Uehara.
    Catchers (2): David Ross, Jarrod Saltalamacchia.
    Infielders (6): Mike Carp, Pedro Ciriaco, Jose Iglesias, Will Middlebrooks, Mike Napoli, Dustin Pedroia.
    Outfielders (5): Jackie Bradley Jr., Jacoby Ellsbury, Jonny Gomes, Daniel Nava, Shane Victorino.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Re: Jackie Bradley and Mike Carp are on the Opening Day roster:

Ryan Sweeney was told late Thursday night that he would not be added to the 40-man roster, allowing him to trigger an opt-out in his contract.

Sweeney said contract not purchased: "I'm the odd man out."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Bradley is hitting .441 with a .521 on-base percentage in 71 plate appearances this spring.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

Bradley is hitting .441 with a .521 on-base percentage in 71 plate appearances this spring.

"One at-bat that stands out to me is the other day up against (Baltimore reliever Pedro) Strop," Farrell said. "He gets down two strikes. He takes two splitfingered fastballs that are major-league-quality pitches. He gets back in the count -- and there's a two-run single. When you look at the consistency of controlling the strike zone, getting himself into good hitter's counts and what he does in those situations, that goes beyond the overall batting average."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pitchers (12): Alfredo Aceves, Andrew Bailey, Clay Buchholz, Ryan Dempster, Felix Doubront, Joel Hanrahan, John Lackey, Jon Lester, Andrew Miller, Clayton Mortensen, Junichi Tazawa, Koji Uehara.
    Infielders (6): Mike Carp, Pedro Ciriaco, Jose Iglesias, Will Middlebrooks, Mike Napoli, Dustin Pedroia.
    Outfielders (5): Jackie Bradley Jr., Jacoby Ellsbury, Jonny Gomes, Daniel Nava, Shane Victorino.

Bard-

“Sometimes guys go to Triple A [and] they think, ‘If I have a couple of good starts or a good game, a couple of six or seven games in a row when I’m good, oh, OK, I’m back,’” pitching coach Juan Nieves said. “No, this is a process. Consistency is going to be very important. …

“It’s not a demotion. We want him to understand that there’s a process. It’s not that he goes to Triple A and has two good outings and I’m ready.”

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

This time Iglesias makes a lot more sense--he's had a good spring, and there's a real opening at SS for now.  Things will get complicated when Drew returns, but Iglesias could still stick.  When Ortiz returns, then the Sox have to decide on Bradley. 

But right now it's good to see those two playing every day if only because Gomes may be the worst Sox leftfielder I can remember. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Bard-

“Sometimes guys go to Triple A [and] they think, ‘If I have a couple of good starts or a good game, a couple of six or seven games in a row when I’m good, oh, OK, I’m back,’” pitching coach Juan Nieves said. “No, this is a process. Consistency is going to be very important. …

“It’s not a demotion. We want him to understand that there’s a process. It’s not that he goes to Triple A and has two good outings and I’m ready.”

It's not what you achieve, it's what you overcome. That's what defines your career. - Carlton Fisk

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Jackie Bradley Jr would be the Sox youngest opening day outfielder since Dwight Evans in 1973

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Full answer from Red Sox GM Ben Cherington to Tony Massarotti on the Baseball Reporters talking about Jackie Bradley Jr.'s chances to make the Major League roster for Opening Day: "I think things are looking good for Jackie. Expect him to come North. Barring anything unforeseen I think there is a good chance he'll be in New York with us." Cherington finished his answer with "The plane leaves tomorrow, and I'd expect him to be on it."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

What if JBJ is still tearing it up when D.Ortiz Gets back??? What do we do then?? This could turn into a problem but i think if this happens its def a good problem to have.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

What if JBJ is still tearing it up when D.Ortiz Gets back??? What do we do then?? This could turn into a problem but i think if this happens its def a good problem to have.

He stays. Carp probably goes. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Maybe Ellsbury will get hurt again.  When this happens, Bradley can move to CF where he belongs.

Ellsbury's arm is just a hair better than Damon's was.  If anywhere, he belongs in LF.

Besides, it would really irk Boras....which would be a bonus.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Great post IDDIO...... 1967 all over again with IGGY & BRADLEY !!!

Bill, as soon as Drew is healthy, Iggy is going back to where he belongs: Pawtucket, where, hopefully, he will learn to hit the baseball and earn his way into the major leagues. They are not going to pay Drew to sit on the bench, nor does he deserve to be on the pine. Drew is, all around, a better choice IMO than Iggy right now. I certainly wish the kid the best in his training with the bat, but he still has to prove himself. If the FO thought that he was ready they would not have acquired Drew.

Bradley deserves to be up in the majors, but he still has to do a few days in the minor leagues to insure we have that extra year of team control. Don't think that fact has escaped the FO. When Ortiz gets back and Gomes is no longer our DH he will become our 4th OF as long as Bradley keeps up what he is doing now, more or less. Its a long season, and Bradley, like Iglesias, still have to prove themselves with success in a large number of ABs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Then who's our backup 1B ???? I cringe at the thought of Nava at 1st...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Then who's our backup 1B ???? I cringe at the thought of Nava at 1st...

Nava has not looked bad at first. Then there is Ortiz.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

If Bradley is tearing it up, it's really not a problem. I'm sure he'd stay. Then it will come down to how Gomes, Victorino, Carp and Nava are doing.

Nava could be the odd man out. Carp plays 1B, so if he's doing decent, he'd have that edge. Gomes is a RH power hitter, which is good to have on the bench, and Victorino is a great defender so as long as he producing something at the plate he has that edge over Nava.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nava would be sent down. Issue over.

They may let JBJ get his 20 days in first, depending hod Nava and JBJ are doing, but I don't think the choice will be difficult.

The big choice in my mind will be the Drew vs Iggy one. Sadly, Iggy will need to be hitting well to convince Ben to keep him as our starting SS.

23. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts