JACKIE BRADLEY JR COMETH.........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: JACKIE BRADLEY JR COMETH.........

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Some geniune silliness from bill-806 and softlaw on this thread.  Bradley sure looks like the heir apparent to the CF job, but right now he is nothing if not redundant--another fast, good-fielding lefty hitting outfielder who occasionally might hit a dinger, exactly what Victorino and Ellsbury already provide except that Ellsbury and Victorino are both more likely to contribute on offense. So are Carp and Nava, for that matter. 

Moreover, softlaw and his accolyte bill appear to think the Sox are badly in need of fixing despite leading the AL East by a game late in May in a season when the Sox appear to have been tranformed by somewhat minimalist offseason acquisitions.  The Sox only marquee players have been here all along--Buchholz, Lester, Ortiz, Pedroia, and sometimes Ellsbury--but the attitude in the clubhouse and on the field has been transformed and these guys are finding ways to win games rather than lose them. 

Like practically everyone else, I look forward to the day when Iglesias and Bradley are starting for the Sox, but in the meantime I do not understand the constant attacks by these two--softy and bill--on Drew, Ellsbury, Victorino, and practically everyone else (Ortiz, Pedroia, Buchholz and maybe Lester are exceptions) on a winning team. 

As for Bradley, right now he is just a spare part, as Ellsbury was in 2007 and somewhat in 2008, available to play anywhere in the outfield just so he can play.  And, lest we forget, Ellsbury was a whole lot better in 2007 than Bradley has so far shown himself to be in 2013. 

One thing I do agree with is the dearth of good righty bats in this lineup--softy has preached this endlessly.  So why the clamor for another lefty bat, Bradley's, and one that does not hit that many dingers? 

If Bradley can show this year he can hit MLB pitching, I would not object to trading Ellsbury for a really good righty bat, but I have very little confidence that is possible.  I mean, who wants to give up a good righty bat?  softlaw's constant urging the FO to trade Ellsbury makes no sense to me.   

Meanwhile, Ellsbury right now is a much bigger offensive threat than Bradley is and maybe ever will be.  Bradley right now is just visiting the big club--for good reason. 

+1

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

A few days late. 

Gomes is starting tonite bating 2nd with a 2 foe 29 line against Lee.  His BA and OBP have both slipped over 30 pts in May. 

You think Cliff Lee would be a good matchup for Bradley?

No probably worse but drawing a walk could be possible but he probably belongs at Paw a little longer.

.  He would be a much better glove . I'll give up the 2 for 29 for a good glove and some speed on the bases. Gomes is geting worse not better. Nice guy in the clubhouse.

Cliff Lee is one of, if not the best control pitchers in MLB.   Hard for anyone to work a walk when everything is in the strike zone. ..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to notin's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

A few days late. 

Gomes is starting tonite bating 2nd with a 2 foe 29 line against Lee.  His BA and OBP have both slipped over 30 pts in May. 

You think Cliff Lee would be a good matchup for Bradley?

No probably worse but drawing a walk could be possible but he probably belongs at Paw a little longer.

.  He would be a much better glove . I'll give up the 2 for 29 for a good glove and some speed on the bases. Gomes is geting worse not better. Nice guy in the clubhouse.

Cliff Lee is one of, if not the best control pitchers in MLB.   Hard for anyone to work a walk when everything is in the strike zone. ..

Not to mention that speed on the bases doesn't work very well with 2-29.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I have no idea whether JBJ can hit a down and in curve now but I do have an idea that we're going to know the answer sometime during his first game. 

It's not a crime to not be able to hit that pitch occasionally but he's going to have to be able to hit it once in a while. 

I'm reminded of the 2004 ALCS with Curt Schilling on the mound pitching to some Yankee player whose name escapes me now.  Schilling had him two-and-two and threw a down and in splitter to a LH batter who swung and missed.  After that SO I realized that the batter and I had two things in common.  We both knew it was coming and neither of us could hit it. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to S5's comment:

I have no idea whether JBJ can hit a down and in curve now but I do have an idea that we're going to know the answer sometime during his first game. 

It's not a crime to not be able to hit that pitch occasionally but he's going to have to be able to hit it once in a while. 

I'm reminded of the 2004 ALCS with Curt Schilling on the mound pitching to some Yankee player whose name escapes me now.  Schilling had him two-and-two and threw a down and in splitter to a LH batter who swung and missed.  After that SO I realized that the batter and I had two things in common.  We both knew it was coming and neither of us could hit it. 

He doesnt need to be perfect, he just needs to be better than the other guy.  While Vic is out the other guy is Gomes.  Given that Gomes is hitting .180 and is bad defensively, this is a given.

Once Vic comes back and "the other guy" is Nava, we will have a tough decision on our hands.  However, if Victorino is on the DL, Bradley should playing RF.  By moving Nava to LF (an easier position, and one where his arm isnt under the spotlight) and inserting JBJ into RF , we get considerably better defensively at two positions.

Bradley is hitting .360 in AAA over 70+ at-bats.  Its safe to say that he is a better hitter than what we saw.  And if he hits at all, he's better than Gomes.

There is nothing wrong with wearing out that 95 stretch.  When Vic is in the lineup, Bradley is in Pawtucket, when he isnt, Bradley should be in Boston.  Unless Nava cools off, then Bradley should be up for good.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

He doesnt need to be perfect, he just needs to be better than the other guy.  While Vic is out the other guy is Gomes.  Given that Gomes is hitting .180 and is bad defensively, this is a given.

Once Vic comes back and "the other guy" is Nava, we will have a tough decision on our hands.  However, if Victorino is on the DL, Bradley should playing RF.  By moving Nava to LF (an easier position, and one where his arm isnt under the spotlight) and inserting JBJ into RF , we get considerably better defensively at two positions.

Bradley is hitting .360 in AAA over 70+ at-bats.  Its safe to say that he is a better hitter than what we saw.  And if he hits at all, he's better than Gomes.

There is nothing wrong with wearing out that 95 stretch.  When Vic is in the lineup, Bradley is in Pawtucket, when he isnt, Bradley should be in Boston.  Unless Nava cools off, then Bradley should be up for good.

I bet Gomes will still have a higher OBP than Bradley when Bradley is sent down. Bradley is going to be the righty bat off the bench so he isn't competing with Gomes. Aren't you the one that want Bradley and Nava to be swapped each time one was struggling? Bradley isn't going to improve his swing in the majors, so lets hope he has done enough at the minor league level.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

I bet Gomes will still have a higher OBP than Bradley when Bradley is sent down. Bradley is going to be the righty bat off the bench so he isn't competing with Gomes. Aren't you the one that want Bradley and Nava to be swapped each time one was struggling? Bradley isn't going to improve his swing in the majors, so lets hope he has done enough at the minor league level.

Yes, I believe in riding the hot bat.  If Nava is hot, our corner outfielders should be Nava and Vic.  If this is the case, Bradley is better served playing in AAA than providing a bat off the bench in the majors.

However, if Vic is hurt or Nava is cool, Bradley should be in Bos playing.  He is competing w Gomes right now.  Gomes isnt the righty bat off the bench, he's a starting OF for as long as Vic is hurt.  Which means that Bradley should be playing (according to my above formula)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

about time JBJ came back

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

If Vic is healthy AND Nava is hot, Bradley should be playing in AAA; else, Bradley should be playing in Boston.

Bradley should not be riding pine.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

If Vic is healthy AND Nava is hot, Bradley should be playing in AAA; else, Bradley should be playing in Boston.

Aptly stated.  However, right now the Sox need a good backup outfielder short term until Victorino is back and functioning.  Bradley will likely ride the pine some days, but could prove very useful as a spot starter, defensive late inning replacement, pinch runner, pinch hitter, etc, especially in a NL park where our pitchers will be hitting (well, standing at the plate anyway).   

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

But I think he has made improvements down in Pawtucket, and this should be a much smaller step for him that it was earlier in the season.

Pure nonsense! He didn't "make improvement down in Pawtucket" in the few games he was there. He lit it up from the get go!

9 games isn't enough time to adjust to MLB pitching, which he needs to do in the majors. It was a pure bean counting move, and watching Carp and Gomes is about as bad as it gets. Those guys are bench guys, plain and simple.

I don't expect him to be great, but I think we will see something better than what we did earlier.

I expect him to be the great leader he's been for championship baseball teams. This team needs a young RH OF slugger, but Bradley is the CF value and fit. He will struggle until he adjusts to MLB pitching, but will develop into a higher level OBP guy and already is an outstanding defensive OF'er. Not going to be a slugging profile, but will learn to punish mistake pitches as he gets experience. Good but not great speed on the bases.

His best asset is that he is a born leader.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!  Yeah....  I can picture JBJ walking back in the clubhouse...calling Papi, Pedy, Clay, Lester and Vic over and saying....."guys...the leader has returned".... 

Hopefully they all don't follow his lead and bat .087......

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

2 Time NCAA champion, and College WS MVP.

As for his BA in 9 games of MLB, how 'bout Ellsbury BA in over a half a decade of MLB.

He will be the leader of the Red Sox, very shortly. Has been a team leader his entire life. He is a champion, which isn't something that can be taught.

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!  Lester, Papi....WORLD SERIES CHAMPS.....yeah....I'm sure they will bow at the feet for the NCAA Champ..... 

I just got a letter in the mail from Sam's Club saying that I'm a 'member of distinction'....  THIS ENTIRE BOARD SHOULD BOW AT MY FEET!!!!!!!!!  FOR I JUST BOUGHT A PRIME RIB WITH CASH!!!!!!!   HEAR ME ROAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

As for his BA in 9 games of MLB, how 'bout Ellsbury BA in over a half a decade of MLB.

He will be the leader of the Red Sox, very shortly. Has been a team leader his entire life. He is a champion, which isn't something that can be taught.

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!  Lester, Papi....WORLD SERIES CHAMPS.....yeah....I'm sure they will bow at the feet for the NCAA Champ..... 

I just got a letter in the mail from Sam's Club saying that I'm a 'member of distinction'....  THIS ENTIRE BOARD SHOULD BOW AT MY FEET!!!!!!!!!  FOR I JUST BOUGHT A PRIME RIB WITH CASH!!!!!!!   HEAR ME ROAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You da MAN!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Agree with this. As long as Nava is hitting the way he is, Vic is healthy and Ells is healthy, JBJ should be in AAA. Hes there this year if needed though, like Iggy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

+100

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

You da MAN!!

THANK YOU MY YOUNG APPRENTICE!!!!!!  TOMORROW WE TAKE OVER THE WORLD OF.......MARINADES!!!!!!!!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Technically, the award is "Most Outstanding Player," not MVP.  It is occasionally awarded to players on non-championship teams. Past Sox winners include Todd Walker, Calvin Schiraldi and Terry Francona.

No need to oversell the leadership aspect. Fans act like it is essential to a team. Leadership is a useless skill if thhere are no followers.

The common perception is that players all fall inyo one of two categories - "leader" or "cancer."  The truth is most fall into neither...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

As long as DG Victorino is again on the shelf and we have Gomes hitting 180 it seems to me that Jackie Bradley can't be any worse and most likely a lot better than what we have now.  With Gomes and the offensively useless Ross in the lineup last night we were in a hole before the game even started.  Sooner or later two or three holes in our lineup will expose it to possibly a long and painful losing streak.  Stop that from happening.  Fix the lineup so we can put as many good hitters in it as we can.  Remember our starting rotation still has a couple of holes in it.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts