Jackie Bradley Junior Overrated

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Jackie Bradley Junior Overrated

I have now been watching JBJ for two years now and although I think he is good defensively, I seriously believe Ben and Larry seriously overestimated his hitting capabilities. He did not look good last year, did not hit in Spring Training this year and does not look good at the plate this year. I think management made a serious blunder in letting Ellsbury go to the Yankees. Ellsbury was a proven comodity unlike JBJ.

I really hope I am wrong but with the loss of Ellsbury and JBJs struggles, this team looks like it is going to need a Herculean effort on the part of their pitching staff because the offense is serious going to struggle to score runs. Management needed to either trade for a hitter or sign a free agent hitter. You now have lost Saltalamachia's production in the lineup as well and Pierzinski looks like he is done both defensively and offensively as well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Jackie Bradley Junior Overrated

Could be, however has he really had a strong chance !!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Could be, however has he really had a strong chance !!

He's had the same chance as XB. It hasn't bothered him right Bill. lol.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

I have now been watching JBJ for two years now and although I think he is good defensively, I seriously believe Ben and Larry seriously overestimated his hitting capabilities. He did not look good last year, did not hit in Spring Training this year and does not look good at the plate this year. I think management made a serious blunder in letting Ellsbury go to the Yankees. Ellsbury was a proven comodity unlike JBJ.

I really hope I am wrong but with the loss of Ellsbury and JBJs struggles, this team looks like it is going to need a Herculean effort on the part of their pitching staff because the offense is serious going to struggle to score runs. Management needed to either trade for a hitter or sign a free agent hitter. You now have lost Saltalamachia's production in the lineup as well and Pierzinski looks like he is done both defensively and offensively as well.

With less than 1,000 ab's in minors might be jumping the gun here. His high OBP at every level tough to say he just got lucky. Think RS rushed him by bringing him up last yr and lost some confidence because of it. Just needs to get a few good games under his belt and help relax. Seems to be pressing to me, usually high obp guys are chasing outside the zone.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

JBJ has hit at every level in the minors. He has a combined .297 batting average / .404 on base pct. I am confident he will be fine, just give him a little time. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I've suspected for some time that JBJ set himself up for failure with his ST of 2013. NOBODY is going to hit like that all season, but some people apparently expect him to.  

Offensively he's struggling and I'm not sure he's ever going to be a .300 (or maybe even a .275) hitter but defensively he is what he is.  I saw two balls hit over Sizemore's head last night that I thought Ellsbury would have gotten to, but I did wonder if JBJ might have gotten to them.  

Let's face it.  We've been spoiled by watching Ellsbury play CF and get to balls most players wouldn't get to.  JBJ may be as good defensively as Ellsbury was but he won't be what Ells was offensively.  What we DO have is Grady Sizemore who doesn't have as much speed as Ells but has a better arm, and for the difference in pay between the two I'll take Sizemore. 

As much as I hate to say this, either Carp or Nava has to go to make room for JBJ as the 4th defensive OF'er.  Sizemore's history makes his durability questionable and the same thing can be said about Victorino.  How long is Vic going to be able to play through his ongoing pain?  Would anyone be surprised to see Vic play < 120 games this year?  And JBJ can man either position better than adequately.  

This team can't afford to give up Gomes' power so in spite of his defensive deficiencies he has to stay.  Nava is able to play 3 defensive positions (4 if you count CF, which I don't) and his flexibility makes him valuable.  That leaves only Carp to be traded.

JBJ may be overrated offensively but he's the best backup option we've got for CF & RF defense and the experience he gets this year will make him better next year when Sizemore may be gone and Vic's health may keep him from playing even 100 games.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from irish-sox-fan. Show irish-sox-fan's posts

Are you serious? Tongue Out

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

We need to be more patient with Bradley Jr.  Remember when Pedroia struggled the first few months of the 2007 season?  The media wanted to bury Pedroia that year.  I have confidence in the coaching staff and front office of the Red Sox. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

An inexplicable OP and thread.  JBJ is a backup outfielder, not the second coming.  He has hit in the minors, but not the majors, and he's a pretty good fielder.  Meanwhile Sizemore could be the steal of the year, and Victorino is not half bad when he is healthy.  With Gomes/Nava in left field, that's a pretty good offensive and defensive outfield when they are healthy. 

A word about Ellsbury.  In 2011 he had stupendous season--OPS .928, 105 rbi's from the lead off position, 32 dingers, etc., and he was at his best in September 2011.  Am I the only one who remembers how disastrous that month was?  Last year Ellsbury had a good but hardly great year.  The Sox won because they had great hitting, great chemistry, and excellent pitching.  I think Ellsbury had a great postseason, but clearly the MVP was Ortiz and the pitching overall was much better than the hitting in the postseason. 

Too many Sox fans think Boras is right, that Ellsbury is a franchise player.  He is not.  He is better than Carl Crawford, but neither is worth those insane contracts.  In 5 games so far Ellsbury has stupendous .974 OPS, but the Yankees are near the bottom of the AL in runs scored in part because they have hit 0 dingers. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Are you talking about AJ Pierstinky.... Toasted...He must be gone soon .

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

You can find fault in many parts of some players game if you want.  You can start with Ortiz not getting a hit last night night when the game was on the line when he replaced JBJ.

Then you can talk about Boggie's almost second error of the other day's game with his still bad habit of double clutching.

I like Sizemore but he does not get to the balls like JBJ.  Some of the writers during spring training wrote that he dives when it seems he does not have to. He does not come up from behind the balls that drop like JBJ does.

That was a nasty pitch last night on JBJ's last called strike out.  I even put up a tweet that he was working his way back to McCoy after that pitch.  Someone corrected me on what a great pitch it was and most would not have swung.

It is really a little too early to start beating up on JBJ.  If he does go back to McCoy, he has the disposition to take it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Whiners out in full force today - quelle surprise.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I hope I am wrong and JBJ has a great career and it's early but he has not exactly come on like a gangbusters in the last year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Whiners out in full force today - quelle surprise.

Today? The Clay thread was posted, after he pitched one inning. Why wait?!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I think Bradley is overrated only in the sense that the expectations were unreasonably high. Still think that he will be a good ballplayer. That said, the loss of Ellsbury is huge. Speed is such an important factor in sports. It can't always be quantified for the metrics obsessed fans, but it often can be the difference in winning or losing. Even so, our offense is not as bad as it has looked. I expect to see improvement. The real concern could turn out to be the pitching.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I think Bradley is overrated only in the sense that the expectations were unreasonably high. Still think that he will be a good ballplayer. That said, the loss of Ellsbury is huge. Speed is such an important factor in sports. It can't always be quantified for the metrics obsessed fans, but it often can be the difference in winning or losing. Even so, our offense is not as bad as it has looked. I expect to see improvement. The real concern could turn out to be the pitching.

the double was a start and nicely moved over by Ross.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

I agree with you, Ells was a keeper IMO.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Pretty much agree with your take on speed but cant agree on the pitching comment. What have we played---6 games and the only bad outing from the starters was Buchholz giving up 13 hits in less than 5 innings.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I have now been watching JBJ for two years 100 at-bats now and although I think he is good defensively, I seriously believe Ben and Larry seriously overestimated his hitting capabilities.

Fixed it for you.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

I am still not worried but if he is not going to play every day at Fenway, I would rather see him in Pawtucket.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to steven11's comment:

I am still not worried but if he is not going to play every day at Fenway, I would rather see him in Pawtucket.

I agree.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

In response to steven11's comment:

I agree.

Thanks and I think he will be fine with it.  He knows he needs the at bats and he also knows it would be just a matter of time before he is back.

Sections
Shortcuts