1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Jackie Bradley Junior Overrated

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to craze4sox's comment:

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have now been watching JBJ for two years now and although I think he is good defensively, I seriously believe Ben and Larry seriously overestimated his hitting capabilities. He did not look good last year, did not hit in Spring Training this year and does not look good at the plate this year. I think management made a serious blunder in letting Ellsbury go to the Yankees. Ellsbury was a proven comodity unlike JBJ.

I really hope I am wrong but with the loss of Ellsbury and JBJs struggles, this team looks like it is going to need a Herculean effort on the part of their pitching staff because the offense is serious going to struggle to score runs. Management needed to either trade for a hitter or sign a free agent hitter. You now have lost Saltalamachia's production in the lineup as well and Pierzinski looks like he is done both defensively and offensively as well.

And yes, losing salty was a big hit.

Salty "like Ells" wasn't a huge loss if the others pick up the slack.  With Vasquez and Swihart both having a pretty good shot at being starters Salty had no career in Boston and I won't miss the poor throwing/mental errors.

[/QUOTE]

well, with AJ you will see him swing at everything and is just an average defender. Has a decent arm and that Vet presence as well as being a solid pitch framer. I think its a wash with the two personally.

Its nice to see JBJ getting that offense going. I really like him playing RF while Vic is out. His tremendous jumps on balls as well as his howitzer for an arm play well out there. If he keeps hitting he will force the Sox to make a move.

I NEVER want to see Nava in RF in Fenway ever again. He can play LF very well and has learned to play the wall pretty good too.

[/QUOTE]

If JBJ stays in a groove offensively while already playing better defense than Gomes or Nava and adds more speed to the lineup keep him up.  I feel it would be a huge mistake for his confinence to send him back to the minors when Shane returns

I would trade Gomes, Carp or Nava

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Maybe Al should go watch Buch, Mujica, or Webster and get those guys going really good. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

JBJ is "just right" rated.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1

Should we call him "Baby Bear"? Laughing

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

JBJ starts his 4th game in a row tonight against the lefty Martin Perez.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to antibody's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1

[/QUOTE]

Thats actually somehow a great nickname for him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

JBJ continues to hit with RISP.  A nice night for Sizemore.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

JBJ is having a good night. He should be keep in the lineup until he cools off.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

JBJ is certainly making a case for a Victorino - Sizemore - JBJ outfield. Great to see him hitting with RISP.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Anyone dumb enough to say that JBJ is overrated s/b oversedated.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1

[/QUOTE]

Thats actually somehow a great nickname for him.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I think it kinda fits. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

JBJ is certainly making a case for a Victorino - Sizemore - JBJ outfield. Great to see him hitting with RISP.

[/QUOTE]

I'll give Bogie at 12 credit for this one.  I never liked the Sizemore idea because I thought either JBJ starts and Grady is redundant, or Grady starts, JBJ goes down, and we have a huge injury risk in CF.  But the Sizemore-JBJ-Vic concept, is really interesting.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 808soxfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'll give Bogie at 12 credit for this one.  I never liked the Sizemore idea because I thought either JBJ starts and Grady is redundant, or Grady starts, JBJ goes down, and we have a huge injury risk in CF.  But the Sizemore-JBJ-Vic concept, is really interesting.

[/QUOTE]

If JBJ can go a long enough stretch hitting well- long enough to convince management he's going to be okay, and Sizemore shows he has some durability, then this OF looks like the best we can put on the field defensively.  They may end up being pretty close to the best offensively depending on how well JBJ does in his first full year in the bigs, or how poorly the Nava/Gomes platoon might end up doing.

It would be nice for the three to do well and for Nava?gomes to be doing well enough that we can trade one for something valuable.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just shows he needs to play everday while he is here... sitting on the bench won't help him improve. If I see him on the bench and Nava/Carp/Gomes in the line-up I am going to complain.

[/QUOTE]

Not sure anyone of importance will listen, but I'll be complaining, also. JBJ needs to be given the patience Pedey was given.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I feel the urge to say "I told ya so to some in here" but the reality is this is a SSS this year.  However his failures last year were a SSS as well.  

I do think JBJ still has some growing pains to endure, but I thought he was going to be good enough to play, add value to the team and be an everyday starting CFer.  He might even be a top of the order guy by next year if not the end of this year. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

Right now, at 3-5 and hopefully avoiding 3-6 going up against the NYY, JBJ is one of the few bright spots.  

He DID figure very big in win #3.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

It's pretty simple, if JBJ keeps playing the way he has for the last couple of games, he'll force the Red Sox' hand.

I don't think they'll keep him up, just sit on the bench.

If he's hitting .300 by the end of Victorino's time on the DL and continues to tear up AAA, they'll have no choice but to make room for him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's pretty simple, if JBJ keeps playing the way he has for the last couple of games, he'll force the Red Sox' hand.

If he's hitting .300 by the end of Victorino's time on the DL and continues to tear up AAA, they'll have no choice but to make room for him.

[/QUOTE]

If he goes back to AAA it won't be for long. I think the fact that JBJ is close to Major League ready is one reason (not just the $) that Ellsbury was allowed to walk.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If he goes back to AAA it won't be for long. I think the fact that JBJ is close to Major League ready is one reason (not just the $) that Ellsbury was allowed to walk.

[/QUOTE]

Yup.

The surpising play of Sizemore is what's making the OF so crowded.

It would be tough to cut lose Carp, Gomes or Nava, just to have Sizemore get injured.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yup.

It would be tough to cut lose Carp, Gomes or Nava, just to have Sizemore get injured.

[/QUOTE]

It would be tough to lose any one of those three whether Sizemore gets injured or not, but if we keep JBJ and VIC comes back we'd be better off than we are now even if Grady does go down with an injury.  

This team is trying to hedge their bets because they're worried that Sizemore and/or Victorino could go down at any time.  IMO the best insurance against that is having someone who can play either CF or RF, and JBJ is the only one who can do that well.

I'd rather have JBJ batting ~.260 and playing in the OF than any of the other three batting ~.275+.  If JBJ can prove that he can hit at all adequately the job should be his.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yup.

[/QUOTE]

It would be tough to lose any one of those three whether Sizemore gets injured or not, but if we keep JBJ and VIC comes back we'd be better off than we are now even if Grady does go down with an injury.  

This team is trying to hedge their bets because they're worried that Sizemore and/or Victorino could go down at any time.  IMO the best insurance against that is having someone who can play either CF or RF, and JBJ is the only one who can do that well.

I'd rather have JBJ batting ~.260 and playing in the OF than any of the other three batting ~.275+.  If JBJ can prove that he can hit at all adequately the job should be his.   

[/QUOTE]

Yup, you can't fault the Sox for trying to build as much depth as possible.

I guess the question would be who gets you the most in a trade.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

ouch!!...and people say the media is tough on players..{#emotions_dlg.sealed}

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Sobchack's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Right now, at 3-5 and hopefully avoiding 3-6 going up against the NYY, JBJ is one of the few bright spots.  

[/QUOTE]

Bradley's defense has never been in question. The issue has been: can he hit? In watching him over the first few games of the year I noticed that the opposing pitchers are not exploiting the hole in JBJ's swing, which is on the inside part of the plate. At least thats the way it seems to me. I wonder if word has gotten out that he has fixed that problem, or if the opposing pitchers aren't getting good scouting reports, or if I am just mistaken in my observations. Anyone else notice that?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bradley's defense has never been in question. The issue has been: can he hit? In watching him over the first few games of the year I noticed that the opposing pitchers are not exploiting the hole in JBJ's swing, which is on the inside part of the plate. At least thats the way it seems to me. I wonder if word has gotten out that he has fixed that problem, or if the opposing pitchers aren't getting good scouting reports, or if I am just mistaken in my observations. Anyone else notice that?

[/QUOTE]

I doubt that it is poor scouting reports, as clearly they got the good reports last year and Jackie was completely overmatched.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I doubt that it is poor scouting reports, as clearly they got the good reports last year and Jackie was completely overmatched.

[/QUOTE]

I haven't watched every PA, but the ones I saw did not show that the pitchers were pitching him inside.

Sections
Shortcuts